ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,436

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#921 » by Saint Lazarus » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:51 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Take a breathe man.....we’re both Celtics fans. Celts w a top 3 spot should happen (nets bucks celtcs). my point with saying KD is that his return will bump other people out even if they are in different brackets so a good player won’t make the asg who did this year making criteria harder.

Beal being an all star is much higher of a chance than brown but we can agree to disagree. Kemba will be an all star imo too so tatum and kemba again.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

This is what Jaylen thinks of the trade machine

dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#922 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:55 pm

Saint Lazarus wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:Image

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

This is what Jaylen thinks of the trade machine

Seriously tho I hope he does because there not a better man or person I’d want not only representing the nba but the Boston Celtics than jaylen. His work off the court and his vocal leadership Speaking out against racism, bigotry, police brutality and educating people on the need for change is great.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,435

Post#923 » by bisme37 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:23 pm

Read on Twitter
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#924 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:20 pm

Can't wait for Tatum to become the first 19-year-old to lead his franchise to their 19th banner.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,225

Post#925 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 10:24 pm

Not sure what his ceiling is. He's breaking a lot of records.
As I said before, though. Paul Pierce is his floor.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#926 » by StojkoVrankovic » Fri Oct 2, 2020 10:50 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Not sure what his ceiling is. He's breaking a lot of records.

Tatum just averaged 25-10-5 in the playoffs

Folks should go back and look at Pierce's post season numbers and realize that Tatum is already above that floor
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#927 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Oct 3, 2020 12:31 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Not sure what his ceiling is. He's breaking a lot of records.

Folks should go back and look at Pierce's post season numbers and realize that Tatum is already above that floor

I know some people were disappointed in how he played in the Heat series, and he definitely struggled at times. But that’s just part of the learning curve, pretty much every single superstar has had to deal with it.

After what Tatum just did at his age, and the rare territory it puts him in, it’s probably time to start throwing some uncomfortably lofty comparisons and expectations out there. I know people are hesitant, and I completely understand not wanting to get ahead of ourselves.....but this guy is likely on his way to a monster, consistently in the MVP discussion prime.

bisme37 posted the tweet, but being the youngest person in nba history to average 25/10/5 in the playoffs isn’t some minimal feat, that’s a big effing deal. I know he struggled shooting at times, but he still had a 56% TS. I also know he turned it over in big situations, but his assists rate jumped from 14% in the regular season, to 21% in the playoffs, while his turnover rate only jumped from 10% to 11%.

Most importantly, at only 22, he’s proven that he’s the type of player who elevates his team from good to great. We are in for a special however many years.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#928 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:44 pm

We have four years to convince Tatum that Boston is the place for him to grow into a superstar and win titles. We may not get another player of his stature for a while. Don't **** this up.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,211

Post#929 » by TheMartian » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:50 pm

The Comedian wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:

I know some people were disappointed in how he played in the Heat series, and he definitely struggled at times. But that’s just part of the learning curve, pretty much every single superstar has had to deal with it.

After what Tatum just did at his age, and the rare territory it puts him in, it’s probably time to start throwing some uncomfortably lofty comparisons and expectations out there. I know people are hesitant, and I completely understand not wanting to get ahead of ourselves.....but this guy is likely on his way to a monster, consistently in the MVP discussion prime.

bisme37 posted the tweet, but being the youngest person in nba history to average 25/10/5 in the playoffs isn’t some minimal feat, that’s a big effing deal. I know he struggled shooting at times, but he still had a 56% TS. I also know he turned it over in big situations, but his assists rate jumped from 14% in the regular season, to 21% in the playoffs, while his turnover rate only jumped from 10% to 11%.

Most importantly, at only 22, he’s proven that he’s the type of player who elevates his team from good to great. We are in for a special however many years.

I just hope he doesn't have any plans of joining the Lakers sometime in the future to follow in his idol's footsteps.
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#930 » by TheMartian » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:57 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:We have four years to convince Tatum that Boston is the place for him to grow into a superstar and win titles. We may not get another player of his stature for a while. Don't **** this up.

To be honest, I am a bit worried that people around him or still linger around him (e.g. Kyrie) might be feeding things in his head that will eventually brainwash him into leaving Boston. Things like Brad's egalitarian system holding him back from realizing his true potential and stuff like that. The sad reality is, those things are unavoidable. I just hope he has a good head on his shoulders and realizes as early as now that Boston is where he will succeed the most and where he should be staying for the foreseeable future.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#931 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:06 pm

TheMartian wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:We have four years to convince Tatum that Boston is the place for him to grow into a superstar and win titles. We may not get another player of his stature for a while. Don't **** this up.

To be honest, I am a bit worried that people around him or still linger around him (e.g. Kyrie) might be feeding things in his head that will eventually brainwash him into leaving Boston. Things like Brad's egalitarian system holding him back from realizing his true potential and stuff like that. The sad reality is, those things are unavoidable. I just hope he has a good head on his shoulders and realizes as early as now that Boston is where he will succeed the most and where he should be staying for the foreseeable future.

Underlined the BS opinion I still keep hearing. Ever since 2020 began, Tatum has been the clear alpha -- leads the team in usage, points, touches, whatever. At 21/22 years old. Brad even allows him his isos late in games when I personally believe calling his late-game sets is the optimal call. Didn't we complain about this in the playoffs? Letting Tatum grow into a takeover guy even if it led to multiple turnovers, questionable decision-making, and losses? He led the league in minutes per game in the playoffs, 6th in FGAs, and 5th in touches. What is egalitarian about that? He has the keys to the franchise. Brad is not getting in his way. Same BS we heard last year that Hayward was getting in the way of Brown's and Tatum's development.

Apologies for my triggered rant. But that thinking just isn't based in reality anymore.
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#932 » by TheMartian » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:26 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
TheMartian wrote:

Underlined the BS opinion I still keep hearing. Ever since 2020 began, Tatum has been the clear alpha -- leads the team in usage, points, touches, whatever. At 21/22 years old. Brad even allows him his isos late in games when I personally believe calling his late-game sets is the optimal call. Didn't we complain about this in the playoffs? Letting Tatum grow into a takeover guy even if it led to multiple turnovers, questionable decision-making, and losses? He led the league in minutes per game in the playoffs, 6th in FGAs, and 5th in touches. What is egalitarian about that? He has the keys to the franchise. Brad is not getting in his way. Same BS we heard last year that Hayward was getting in the way of Brown's and Tatum's development.

Apologies for my triggered rant. But that thinking just isn't based in reality anymore.

I actually agree, but my point is there still may be someone whispering in Tatum's ear about CBS holding him back, which Tatum might listen to even if that is not the case. Right now, I still see Tatum as sort of weak-minded compared to Jaylen and Smart (specifically Jaylen, who stood up to Kyrie) who are not afraid to speak their minds. That sort of weak-mindedness may result in Jayson succumbing to people who want to play the devil's advocate and entice him away from Boston.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#933 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:35 pm

TheMartian wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
TheMartian wrote:

I actually agree, but my point is there still may be someone whispering in Tatum's ear about CBS holding him back, which Tatum might listen to even if that is not the case. Right now, I still see Tatum as sort of weak-minded compared to Jaylen and Smart (specifically Jaylen, who stood up to Kyrie) who are not afraid to speak their minds. That sort of weak-mindedness may result in Jayson succumbing to people who want to play the devil's advocate and entice him away from Boston.

Oh I see your point. I can totally see Kyrie (and Lebron) doing that. Teens can be very impressionable. Winning. Winning as an MVP candidate will help convince him to stay.

Also, don't waive Javonte Green, his best friend on the team lol.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#934 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:22 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
TheMartian wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Underlined the BS opinion I still keep hearing. Ever since 2020 began, Tatum has been the clear alpha -- leads the team in usage, points, touches, whatever. At 21/22 years old. Brad even allows him his isos late in games when I personally believe calling his late-game sets is the optimal call. Didn't we complain about this in the playoffs? Letting Tatum grow into a takeover guy even if it led to multiple turnovers, questionable decision-making, and losses? He led the league in minutes per game in the playoffs, 6th in FGAs, and 5th in touches. What is egalitarian about that? He has the keys to the franchise. Brad is not getting in his way. Same BS we heard last year that Hayward was getting in the way of Brown's and Tatum's development.

Oh I see your point. I can totally see Kyrie (and Lebron) doing that. Teens can be very impressionable. Winning. Winning as an MVP candidate will help convince him to stay.

Ill just throw in my 2 cents on this. I dont think people whispering into his ear will be a big issue. He had plenty of people telling him not to go to Duke, still chose Duke. It was him that was pushing Giles to come to Duke. Boston is as big of a name as you can get when it comes to the NBA, him being in the ECF 2 out of his first 3 seasons is a damn good start as well. Tatum was also putting up 20 shots a game in the playoffs this year as a 22 year old. I dont think any whispering into his ear could convince him that he isnt getting the touches needed to maximize himself.

As long as the team doesnt complete implode, I dont see keeping Tatum as a hard thing.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,436

Post#935 » by Saint Lazarus » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:03 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
TheMartian wrote:

Ill just throw in my 2 cents on this. I dont think people whispering into his ear will be a big issue. He had plenty of people telling him not to go to Duke, still chose Duke. It was him that was pushing Giles to come to Duke. Boston is as big of a name as you can get when it comes to the NBA, him being in the ECF 2 out of his first 3 seasons is a damn good start as well. Tatum was also putting up 20 shots a game in the playoffs this year as a 22 year old. I dont think any whispering into his ear could convince him that he isnt getting the touches needed to maximize himself.

As long as the team doesnt complete implode, I dont see keeping Tatum as a hard thing.

He’ll be signing with the cardinals after threepeating. I’ll miss him for sure but It’ll be for the best. :nod:
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#936 » by TheMartian » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:56 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
TheMartian wrote:

Glad to hear that. Hoping Tatum remains a Celtic lifer.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#937 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Read on Twitter

LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#938 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:26 am

TheMartian wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:Tatum just averaged 25-10-5 in the playoffs

I just hope he doesn't have any plans of joining the Lakers sometime in the future to follow in his idol's footsteps.

If anyone thinks this doesn't cross his mind, you'd be lying to yourself
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#939 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Read on Twitter
ConstableGeneva
RealGM