Execs Believe Heat Have Become Top Destination For Next Star Who Wants Exit

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Execs Believe Heat Have Become Top Destination For Next Star Who Wants Exit 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:17 pm

The Miami Heat reached The Finals this season as the No. 5 seed with an intriguing core of Bam Adebayo and Tyler Herro surrounding veterans in Jimmy Butler and Goran Dragic. Miami could parlay that success into another roster upgrade in the near future.

"Front office executives around the league believe the Heat have become the league’s top destination for the next star with a wandering eye," writes Kevin O'Connor

The Heat could create cap space in 2021 to sign a free agent outright, or they could use some of their young talent in a trade.

The Heat reportedly have interest in Giannis Antetokounmpo and Victor Oladipo. Oladipo lives in Miami during the offseason.

Via Kevin O'Connor/The Ringer

RealGM
And1: 66,480

Re: Execs Believe Heat Have Become Top Destination For Next Star Who Wants Exit 

Post#2 » by 720 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:11 pm

lol
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:16 pm

Yes, Miami has cap space in 2021. I think that is widely known.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#4 » by Neeva » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:47 pm

Is the exec from Miami....
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,164

Post#5 » by Heat3 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:51 pm

Neeva wrote:Is the exec from Miami....

“Front office executives around the league”
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#6 » by King4Day » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:57 pm

The location is a big thing Miami has going for it too. No tax and the beach.
As far as talent, I don't disagree they have something brewing there. Next season will be big. If Herro and Bam continue to improve, players will def wanna go there.
They have one year before being forced to (likely) max Bam. Then the cap is off the table so they need to push hard before that all happens.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,484

Post#7 » by elchengue20 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 9:39 pm

I dont see them having that much assets to pull a trade for a established superstar without seriously handicaping their team but having cap space in 2021 is huge. I definetively see one of the big names going there.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#8 » by BigHustle » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:10 am

Giannis has the hustle to be a fit and the 3pt shooting could be covered up by the other great shooters there... not sure whether Bam and G co-exist.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#9 » by Psubs » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:18 am

Dragic should go and play with Doncic if they give him the MLE for 4 years.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#10 » by TheBoi10 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 1:13 am

BigHustle wrote:Giannis has the hustle to be a fit and the 3pt shooting could be covered up by the other great shooters there... not sure whether Bam and G co-exist.

They're both centers come playoff time
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#11 » by Elnegron » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:07 am

TheBoi10 wrote:
BigHustle wrote:Giannis has the hustle to be a fit and the 3pt shooting could be covered up by the other great shooters there... not sure whether Bam and G co-exist.

They're both centers come playoff time
by 2021 bam will be 1 of the best midrange shooters in the league. His mechanics are superb, we just not using him to shoot jumpers now
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#12 » by Elnegron » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:15 am

King4Day wrote:The location is a big thing Miami has going for it too. No tax and the beach.
As far as talent, I don't disagree they have something brewing there. Next season will be big. If Herro and Bam continue to improve, players will def wanna go there.
They have one year before being forced to (likely) max Bam. Then the cap is off the table so they need to push hard before that all happens.

Plenty of cap space. Heat only have $48m spent in 2021 barring bam signing this offseason. Bam cap is set around $15m. If he waits for 2021, heat will have $70 millions to spend. Jimmy $36m, herro $4m, kz okpala $1.7 and anderson amnesty $5m
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#13 » by IWishIWasHarden » Thu Oct 8, 2020 4:02 am

Nice weather and great heaving bosoms.

It has always been a top destination.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#14 » by Cassius » Thu Oct 8, 2020 4:18 am

I'm biased as a Raptors fan, but I don't think Giannis wants to be a member of an existing pantheon. If he joins Miami or the Lakers, he becomes the next big fish that either Riley or Hollywood was able to catch. Shaq to Bron to Jimmy, with DWade as the face forever... I don't think that appeals to him. The same applies to the Lakers with Magic and Kobe as the true Lakers.

I think he either re-ups in Milwaukee for a few more runs with Middleton, or hooks up with his old buddy Masai to build an African dynasty with Siakam and OG.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#15 » by Temuhjan » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:21 am

Cassius wrote:I'm biased as a Raptors fan, but I don't think Giannis wants to be a member of an existing pantheon. If he joins Miami or the Lakers, he becomes the next big fish that either Riley or Hollywood was able to catch. Shaq to Bron to Jimmy, with DWade as the face forever... I don't think that appeals to him. The same applies to the Lakers with Magic and Kobe as the true Lakers.

I think he either re-ups in Milwaukee for a few more runs with Middleton, or hooks up with his old buddy Masai to build an African dynasty with Siakam and OG.

KD got two rings that way, and no one sees KD as less than legit
akula1488
Bench Warmer
And1: 448

Post#16 » by akula1488 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:15 am

If clippers flop again next season, do you think Kawhi will consider joining the lakers? LeBron might be too old to dominate scoring wise but can still be 3rd scoring option for 15 pats a game.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#17 » by haste10176 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:50 am

Cassius wrote:I'm biased as a Raptors fan, but I don't think Giannis wants to be a member of an existing pantheon. If he joins Miami or the Lakers, he becomes the next big fish that either Riley or Hollywood was able to catch. Shaq to Bron to Jimmy, with DWade as the face forever... I don't think that appeals to him. The same applies to the Lakers with Magic and Kobe as the true Lakers.

If thats your thinking why not form a team at the knicks.. If you got the knicks a championship thats massive.. Plus you get to live in new york..
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#18 » by haste10176 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:53 am

akula1488 wrote:If clippers flop again next season, do you think Kawhi will consider joining the lakers? LeBron might be too old to dominate scoring wise but can still be 3rd scoring option for 15 pats a game.

Kawhi wont go scurrying to the Lakers... I just do not think he could do it after his ads etc.. LeBron wont be scoring 15 pts a game in year 19.. Maybe year 22.. The guy will be getting 20ppg even if Kawhi joins and kawhi and AD would get 20ppg+ each per game... Not to mention kawhi would take half the year off..
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#19 » by Rashidi » Thu Oct 8, 2020 9:13 am

Temuhjan wrote:KD got two rings that way, and no one sees KD as less than legit

I mean that's definitely not true.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#20 » by Cassius » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:36 pm

haste10176 wrote:

If thats your thinking why not form a team at the knicks.. If you got the knicks a championship thats massive.. Plus you get to live in new york..

I mean, Dolan vs Masai is a big enough gap. Add to it that Ujiri is basically an uncle to him. Plus, for a non-American, the gap between Toronto and NYC isn't nearly as big as those who've never been to Toronto might think.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.

Return to Wiretap Discussion