Image ImageImage Image

Free Agent Targets

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,220

Re: Free Agent Targets 

Post#41 » by Red8911 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:21 am

I know a lot of you won’t like this but Derozen would be a great signing for the bulls. I know he’s a a little older to give a big contract but I think a player like that would help change this team around instantly and is totally worth it. Sometimes age doesn’t matter and he’s clearly a baller, he would be awesome playing with Lavine. Find a way to trade Porter away and get him.
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#42 » by wonderboy2 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:28 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
dougthonNous wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:We're mostly laser-focused on the draft, but I thought it good to have a thread to discuss some potential Free Agent targets (I apologize in advance to the Grizzlies).

Barring something unexpected, it seems to me we're going to have the non-taxpayer Mid Level Exception with which to sign guys. So that's about $9 million to play with.

Who not to target? - Put me down as completely uninterested in paying market prices for established veteran role players. Are we pleased with signing Thad Young and Sato? No, we are not. Don't do it again. If you want veterans in the locker room, then just give someone really old a minimum contract (e.g. Jared Dudley).

Who to target? - I would be after young players who can be had cheaply and on contracts with solid team-control (e.g. team options, long term at low salary, etc.)

First excellent post, and well thought out list of guys.

I would give you the counterpoint, don't spend any money. "We have to spend the money" is the reason we ended up with Wade and Rondo instead of Butler on a cheap deal and room to sign 2 max FAs the next off-season, or if you do spend the money, don't go out past one year on guys.

Hope instead that Donovan can get this mix of players to play well together. Sato/Thad were disappointments last year, but would it shock you if they played better this year coming up?

I'd probably roll with what we have, hope coaching was a huge part of the problem and that the team stays healthier, see if there are any interesting trades at the deadline (or off-season) and if not just enter net off season with hopefully a better image and 1.5 max contract slots.

If we do gamble on multiple years with guys, I agree getting guys who will give team options or nonguaranteed years and are paid at a rate that assumes you can develop them and is beyond what they've proven seems like a good option.

I actually fully expect Sato and Thad to play better this coming year (at least Sato, Thad might just be washed). But even so they have no real value to us at all as they're going to expire before we build a worthwhile team.

If the choice is signing an established veteran on a Full MLE or signing nobody, then I am completely onboard with signing nobody.

We need to be hunting for value. That means guys who outplay their salary. This is basically what I'm proposing here. I honestly feel like you could land several guys on this list for $2-$3 million a year which is basically nothing (not to mention their contracts could be structured in such a way with unguaranteed money and team options that we can easily cut bait should they not pan out).

The dream is Duncan Robinson. You land a guy for literally nothing, he becomes a very good role player, and then you have him on a dirt cheap contract for a couple years and maybe even have him as an RFA after that. Now, there's no guarantee that we can replicate that level of success that the Heat have had with Robinson/Nunn, but it's definitely something we should be shooting for. Again, if we're serious about transforming the organization into a place for development, then we should be taking swings on players like this.

If roster spots are an issue, just cut Felicio, Kornet, and maybe Arci as their upside is non-existent.

Sato **** sucks ass. He is what he is. He should not even see the court next season.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#43 » by JohnnyTapwater » Wed Oct 7, 2020 12:10 pm

I would definitely like to buy low on Josh Jackson.

I also like Bryn Forbes.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#44 » by MGB8 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:07 pm

Furkan Korkmaz might be an interesting relatively low priced FA, though he's under contract through next season (initially from sporttrac it looked like he was an UFA). He's been developing, albeit slowly, for Philly, finally last year showing that he can be the shooter than he was drafted to be (40% from 3, 5 attempts per game in just 22 minutes). And his on/off from basketball reference doesn't show much negative impact defensively from his being on the court; granted, that's raw, not adjusted, and from the eye test he's not a good defender - but looks like he has been (slowly) improving on that end, too.

But, honestly, this is a rather uninspiring group of FAs - particularly at the wing or point guard spots where the Bulls need the most help / depth. Bring back TLC? Alec Burks or Glen Robinson III or Derrick Jones Jr. - who would likely want to sign on to better teams? See if there's anything more to massive bust Stanley Johnson (who I really liked coming out, but despite having ok shooting stats in college has been awful at shooting in the league, and even his FTs crashed last season - maybe a work ethic / love of game / desire issue with him)?
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#45 » by Andi Obst » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:26 pm

Red8911 wrote:I know a lot of you won’t like this but Derozen would be a great signing for the bulls. I know he’s a a little older to give a big contract but I think a player like that would help change this team around instantly and is totally worth it. Sometimes age doesn’t matter and he’s clearly a baller, he would be awesome playing with Lavine. Find a way to trade Porter away and get him.

I wouldn't want DeRozan near my team really, but he also won't be a free agent.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,386

Post#46 » by chefo » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:49 pm

If you can turn Sato/Thad (say for a 2nd from somewhere) + ~5M into a Bogdanovic S&T (say @$16M), you've got to pull the trigger. The Bulls need another high volume, quick trigger 3pt shooter that can handle the ball and pass, when necessary, really, really bad.

Bogdanovic is also tall enough to play some SF, if push comes to shove, and good enough of a ball handler to play spot PG. The Kings don't strike me as big spenders, not with Barnes and Hield having gotten paid, and Fox coming up for big $. At $14-$16M you may be able to get him for his prime years. He's as good as a 4th option as you'll find available.

I'd also try to get Noel on the cheap. Between having him, Gafford and WCJ, we'd make sure there is always a cheap, good defensive big on the floor, no matter injuries or foul trouble, and they can go 100 mph at all times for their 15-20 mins. I think Thad needs to go in that case--even though he'd probably look better, like at the end of the year, under coach Donovan.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Post#47 » by sco » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:16 pm

chefo wrote:If you can turn Sato/Thad (say for a 2nd from somewhere) + ~5M into a Bogdanovic S&T (say @$16M), you've got to pull the trigger. The Bulls need another high volume, quick trigger 3pt shooter that can handle the ball and pass, when necessary, really, really bad.

Bogdanovic is also tall enough to play some SF, if push comes to shove, and good enough of a ball handler to play spot PG. The Kings don't strike me as big spenders, not with Barnes and Hield having gotten paid, and Fox coming up for big $. At $14-$16M you may be able to get him for his prime years. He's as good as a 4th option as you'll find available.

I'd also try to get Noel on the cheap. Between having him, Gafford and WCJ, we'd make sure there is always a cheap, good defensive big on the floor, no matter injuries or foul trouble, and they can go 100 mph at all times for their 15-20 mins. I think Thad needs to go in that case--even though he'd probably look better, like at the end of the year, under coach Donovan.

Sign me up for Noell if we can find a way to get trade value for WCJ. I like him and think he's really improved and understand's Donovan's system.
:clap:
Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Post#48 » by Jello Biafra » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:13 pm

If there are any big changes to the roster, it will come via a draft day trade involving our pick and WCJ or Lauri. I don't see them on the same team very much longer. Not sure which one I'd keep. Probably Lauri. WCJ can't shoot, catch the ball or dribble. Lauri can do these things when interested.

Edit: Josh Jackson is J.R. Smith level crazy. You can't win with players like that sans LeBron.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,335

Post#49 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Wed Oct 7, 2020 7:35 pm

wonderboy2 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
dougthonNous wrote:
First excellent post, and well thought out list of guys.

I would give you the counterpoint, don't spend any money. "We have to spend the money" is the reason we ended up with Wade and Rondo instead of Butler on a cheap deal and room to sign 2 max FAs the next off-season, or if you do spend the money, don't go out past one year on guys.

Hope instead that Donovan can get this mix of players to play well together. Sato/Thad were disappointments last year, but would it shock you if they played better this year coming up?

I'd probably roll with what we have, hope coaching was a huge part of the problem and that the team stays healthier, see if there are any interesting trades at the deadline (or off-season) and if not just enter net off season with hopefully a better image and 1.5 max contract slots.

If we do gamble on multiple years with guys, I agree getting guys who will give team options or nonguaranteed years and are paid at a rate that assumes you can develop them and is beyond what they've proven seems like a good option.

I actually fully expect Sato and Thad to play better this coming year (at least Sato, Thad might just be washed). But even so they have no real value to us at all as they're going to expire before we build a worthwhile team.

If the choice is signing an established veteran on a Full MLE or signing nobody, then I am completely onboard with signing nobody.

We need to be hunting for value. That means guys who outplay their salary. This is basically what I'm proposing here. I honestly feel like you could land several guys on this list for $2-$3 million a year which is basically nothing (not to mention their contracts could be structured in such a way with unguaranteed money and team options that we can easily cut bait should they not pan out).

The dream is Duncan Robinson. You land a guy for literally nothing, he becomes a very good role player, and then you have him on a dirt cheap contract for a couple years and maybe even have him as an RFA after that. Now, there's no guarantee that we can replicate that level of success that the Heat have had with Robinson/Nunn, but it's definitely something we should be shooting for. Again, if we're serious about transforming the organization into a place for development, then we should be taking swings on players like this.

If roster spots are an issue, just cut Felicio, Kornet, and maybe Arci as their upside is non-existent.

Sato **** sucks ass. He is what he is. He should not even see the court next season.

What you don’t like Sato? No way Homie!!! He’s awesome.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,375

Post#50 » by drosestruts » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:51 pm

Good OP and good idea for a thread, while not quite as young or under the radar as the players listed so far two names I'd talk with this offseason are:

PG - Shane Larking - 28 years old

Euroleague MVP, shot 50% on 3's at 7 attempts per game. Here he is scoring 49 points while hitting 10 3's in a game - both Euroleague records:

There's no reason someone this talented of a shooter shouldn't have a role in the NBA, in addition to his shooting he has good handles, decent vision/passing, and excels at getting to the line where he makes his free throws at a high-rate.

Joe Harris - wing - 29 years old

Brooklyn should pay Harris whatever it needs to to keep him, but their salary sheet isn't too clean and they have only about $5M in space before they're paying the tax. Now we probably also don't have enough for Harris but I'd offer him the full MLE day one. You never know how many games Porter will be available for, but even if he is health I hope to see a lot more action with him at the 4 this season which would open up time for Harris at the 3.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Post#51 » by sco » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:33 pm

drosestruts wrote:Good OP and good idea for a thread, while not quite as young or under the radar as the players listed so far two names I'd talk with this offseason are:

Euroleague MVP, shot 50% on 3's at 7 attempts per game. Here he is scoring 49 points while hitting 10 3's in a game - both Euroleague records:

There's no reason someone this talented of a shooter shouldn't have a role in the NBA, in addition to his shooting he has good handles, decent vision/passing, and excels at getting to the line where he makes his free throws at a high-rate.

Brooklyn should pay Harris whatever it needs to to keep him, but their salary sheet isn't too clean and they have only about $5M in space before they're paying the tax. Now we probably also don't have enough for Harris but I'd offer him the full MLE day one. You never know how many games Porter will be available for, but even if he is health I hope to see a lot more action with him at the 4 this season which would open up time for Harris at the 3.

Larkin is a good example of why we need to take Euro results with at grain of salt, he was a fringe NBA player, but I liked him coming out of college.

No way we can nab Harris with our MLE, but if we could, agree 100%.
:clap:
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,604

Post#52 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:50 pm

Joe Harris is going to get paid very well. Nets probably keep him while moving LaVert+ for one of Oladipo/Holiday
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,191

Post#53 » by HomoSapien » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:15 pm

I like the idea of targeting Noel, as long as Donovan can vouch for him not being a total **** bag. Like you said, he's a high-impact player who seems to perpetually be available for a cheap contract.

A couple other names I'll throw out there.

Christian Wood - I'm not sure if he'll end up falling in our price range, but he really looks like a borderline star in the making. The way this guy generates production will always make him valuable. He's also a very high-skilled player.

Jae Crowder - Not a flashy name by any means, but I think we're all seeing in the playoffs how valuable he can be. I think it's what we hoped Thad Young would be, but wasn't. Crowder is a tough, physical player who can defend multiple positions and spread the floor in a small-ball lineup.

Harry Giles - I think we're all familiar with him as a guy who was considered a high lottery pick before his injuries. Giles has been productive in limited PT, and appears way less raw than we were expecting. I think he'll bust out in the right situation. I truly believe this is a Jermaine O'Neal situation.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,220

Post#54 » by Red8911 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:29 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Red8911 wrote:I know a lot of you won’t like this but Derozen would be a great signing for the bulls. I know he’s a a little older to give a big contract but I think a player like that would help change this team around instantly and is totally worth it. Sometimes age doesn’t matter and he’s clearly a baller, he would be awesome playing with Lavine. Find a way to trade Porter away and get him.

I wouldn't want DeRozan near my team really, but he also won't be a free agent.
Doesn’t he have a player option? He can decline it if he finds a better deal.Why wouldn’t you want him?? He would be perfect for the bulls. He’s experienced, has a very good character/professionalism to teach these younger players and most importantly he’s talented enough to change this team around to winning again.

He’s 31 so he’s not THAT old, still a lot better than a lot of the younger players around the league and I would guess has at least another 3 good years in him. If I were the Bulls I go hard for Derozen IF he becomes available. They don’t exactly land stars anyway, this would be a great start.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,000

Post#55 » by Chi town » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:19 am

DJ Augustin on the vet min.

AK will work his magic via trades.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#56 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:43 am

drosestruts wrote:Good OP and good idea for a thread, while not quite as young or under the radar as the players listed so far two names I'd talk with this offseason are:

Larkin is a great name and I almost had him in the OP except I don't think he's a FA this year. I believe he can come back to the NBA next offseason. Are you seeing otherwise?

I think he would immediately start at PG for us. He's been a monster in Europe.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,375

Post#57 » by drosestruts » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:00 am

TheSuzerain wrote:

Larkin is a great name and I almost had him in the OP except I don't think he's a FA this year. I believe he can come back to the NBA next offseason. Are you seeing otherwise?

I think he would immediately start at PG for us. He's been a monster in Europe.

I see the 2021 clause now, so there goes that idea. And Harris will probably cost too much so my ideas are pretty much kaput
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#58 » by drosereturn » Thu Oct 8, 2020 4:25 am

Good catch. While these guys are shaky defensively, you need shooters to get into playoffs and make a deep run.
Would pay them from room mle to mle with 3 yr/to.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#59 » by ZOMG » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:10 am

Shooters, shooters, shooters.

Trouble is, everyone else wants them too. As they should.

I still find it absolutely shocking how much pure shooting ability has declined among the top NCAA prospects over the last 5 years or so, even though everyone knows it's the single most valuable skill in the NBA these days.

Once upon a time Joe Harris was a fringe guy. Now he's a building block.

This year's draft class is a great example – a weird collection of non-shooters with glaring holes in their games. I have to wonder what the people training these guys are thinking.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#60 » by Andi Obst » Thu Oct 8, 2020 7:44 am

Red8911 wrote:Doesn’t he have a player option? He can decline it if he finds a better deal.Why wouldn’t you want him?? He would be perfect for the bulls. He’s experienced, has a very good character/professionalism to teach these younger players and most importantly he’s talented enough to change this team around to winning again.

He’s 31 so he’s not THAT old, still a lot better than a lot of the younger players around the league and I would guess has at least another 3 good years in him. If I were the Bulls I go hard for Derozen IF he becomes available. They don’t exactly land stars anyway, this would be a great start.

Yeah, he's not declining that option. There are almost no teams with serious capspace and the teams who could add him shouldn't want him.

DeRozan isn't bad, but he's a defensive liability and a guy who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Provides no off-ball value as a complete non-shooter. The question with him is whether you think he's good enough to be your main ballhandler because that's his only role. The answer is clearly no to me.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.

Return to Chicago Bulls