Image ImageImage Image

Lauri:' I can make the comeback'

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Lauri extension?

Don't want to see one happen - let him show me more first
33%
4 years/$40M-$50M
18%
4 year/$50M-$65M
23%
4 years/$65M-$80M
18%
4 years/$80M+
5%
Other (explain)
3%

Total votes: 122

MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#161 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:03 am

drosereturn wrote:except your making sutff up. Lauri showed why he is a Dirk archetype along with KP a season ago but Boylen and management targeted him to intentionally suck which is why he had resentment. why would he be pissed at jr when he got punished for being cheap and had to pay 2 coaches at the same time?

its funny you claim WCJ has rookie contract when he is barely 1 yr apart and he has shown nothing he will never eclipse Lauri even if Lauri missed 82 games. call me back when Wendell puts up 19 and 9 bc he never will in his entire career.

No he did not. Come on now. Lauri surprised everyone with his 18.7 ppg year but nothing about it was Dirk like. More to the point. Lauri averaged 6.4 3pt attempts a game during his 18.7 ppg year, he averaged 6.3 3pt attempts this past season.

Dirk was always a pretty good shooter. He averaged 47.1% from the field as a player, that's including shooting 40.5% as a rookie and 35.9% in his final season.

As far as Wendell showing he will never eclipse Lauri...their career PER is about the same. Lauri 15.7, Wendell 15.4.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#162 » by ZOMG » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:02 am

PhilLeotardo wrote:
drosereturn wrote:
PhilLeotardo wrote:
I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to it. Of course, you’d rather not have to do that, but often times when there’s an extreme regime change & complete cultural transformation/evolution, it makes sense to start fresh in every way you can

Markkanen (and perhaps WCJ also) has a bitter & negative view of the Chicago Bulls franchise due to the horribly toxic way they operated over the past three years & handled him specifically. Of course that’s all over with now, but the resentment could still linger, possibly toward ownership

I dunno about a complete front court overhaul, but I could see them trading Markkanen. WCJ imo will remain due to the rookie contract & the fact that he hasn’t really gotten an opportunity to show out yet. He was looking very good alongside Coby over the last 9/10 games of the season, prior to the abrupt ending

except your making sutff up. Lauri showed why he is a Dirk archetype along with KP a season ago but Boylen and management targeted him to intentionally suck which is why he had resentment. why would he be pissed at jr when he got punished for being cheap and had to pay 2 coaches at the same time?

its funny you claim WCJ has rookie contract when he is barely 1 yr apart and he has shown nothing he will never eclipse Lauri even if Lauri missed 82 games. call me back when Wendell puts up 19 and 9 bc he never will in his entire career.

I’m beginning to think that you’re either messing with me, or that there is some inside joke here about Markkanen being a 1st option calibre prospect

If you’re being serious (I don’t think you are), what on earth are you watching? Youve got to be watching a different player entirely. As far as defensive potential ALONE is concerned, Markkanen doesn’t share a dang thing in common with Porzingis. Like, they aren’t even in the same remote stratosphere. Let’s not even mention athleticism, strength, ball handling ability, etc. Markkanen is a stiff, Porzingis is a freak. Porzingis was drafted for his potentially-generational defensive upside

I have no idea why you’re comparing him to Nowitzki. They don’t share anything in common. Are these comparisons racially-driven? What do they have in common? Nowitzki was a singular athlete for his size & even at his most raw, anyone could see that his above average ball handling ability & deft/nimble foot speed were going to enable him to do some very special things as a 7 footer. Markkanen doesn’t have any of that going for him. He can’t create for himself, he can’t create for those around him, he’s slower than a sloth on a Thorazine bender, his ball handling sucks, he’s not a good nor smart passer, etc etc etc I mean the list of deficiencies goes on & on, and are enhanced by his epic lack of foot speed, which isn’t going to magically improve, ever

He’s still an intriguing prospect, but he’s a KVH at best/Ryan Anderson at worst player. He has nothing in common with Dirk nor Porzingis, who both possess generational abilities for their respective sizes. Markkanen doesn’t have any generational skills nor measurements. He’s a tall slow dude with a paltry wingspan, who is an awful defender, and who’s ceiling is probably the 4th best player on a winning team (maybe), provided said team has a competent offensive system in place. He certainly isn’t anyone worthy of being a centerpiece on an NBA squad lol. He’s never shown a Nowitzki nor KP archetype, that never happened. And WCJ May never put up consistently gaudy offensive #s (he could though), but there’s this other facet of basketball, and it’s called defense. Markkanen absolutely sucks at it & likely always will. WCJ is already very good at it & projects to eventually be really, really good at it

I've never thought Lauri is the next Dirk - Nowitzki is a Hall of Famer and one of the best shooters to ever pick up a ball (Lauri is just decent). That whole comparison simply doesnt exist.

That said - no need to rewrite history on Dirk either. You know just as well as I do that for a long time, Dirk was spoonfed his looks by Steve Nash, an absolute genius of a playmaker. You're also drastically overrating Nowitzki's ballhandling ability. Like many agile 7 footers, he was good going in a straight line (like Lauri), but in half court situations, he definitely relied on posting up smaller people as far out as the perimeter. Dirk was great at protecting the ball in those situations and an absolutely lethal shotmaker when he had someone in his grill - two things that separate him from the current Markkanen.

Dirk was a face up player who never dribbled more than he absolutely had to. Instead of driving to the hoop, he took loads of short midrange pull-up jumpers that most coaches would ban these days. But the fact that really made Dirk a superstar was that he could score from anywhere, even though he had his preferences lile everyone else. His defenders were never able to rest when he got the ball.

But the game was also different when Dirk was in his prime. He's thought of as an "unselfish superstar" and he kind of was, but Nowitzki definitely had an ego and could stop the ball with the best of them. That was fine back then, but today there's very, very few people in the league who can do that and still win. Defenses are much more advanced and the rules have changed.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#163 » by sco » Wed Oct 7, 2020 12:03 pm

dougthonus wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

There is an unassisted 3 in there :lol:

You think he called glass on that one?

I'm just happy he was able to hit the backboard with a hand in his face, but at least he's working on taking contested 3's. Honestly, just making the open ones would be an improvement. I will say, my optimistic eye sees him looking a little less bulky in the arms.
:clap:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#164 » by dougthonus » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:28 pm

sco wrote:I'm just happy he was able to hit the backboard with a hand in his face, but at least he's working on taking contested 3's. Honestly, just making the open ones would be an improvement. I will say, my optimistic eye sees him looking a little less bulky in the arms.

I don't know if he was ever that bulky in the arms, those muscle picks were the arms crossed flexing kind, its a pose which is built to maximize the look of your arm definition.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#165 » by FranchisePlayer » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:33 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That looked impressive.

Many windmill dunks by Nowitzki?
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,386

Post#166 » by chefo » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:37 pm

PhilLeotardo wrote:
drosereturn wrote:
PhilLeotardo wrote:
I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to it. Of course, you’d rather not have to do that, but often times when there’s an extreme regime change & complete cultural transformation/evolution, it makes sense to start fresh in every way you can

Markkanen (and perhaps WCJ also) has a bitter & negative view of the Chicago Bulls franchise due to the horribly toxic way they operated over the past three years & handled him specifically. Of course that’s all over with now, but the resentment could still linger, possibly toward ownership

I dunno about a complete front court overhaul, but I could see them trading Markkanen. WCJ imo will remain due to the rookie contract & the fact that he hasn’t really gotten an opportunity to show out yet. He was looking very good alongside Coby over the last 9/10 games of the season, prior to the abrupt ending

except your making sutff up. Lauri showed why he is a Dirk archetype along with KP a season ago but Boylen and management targeted him to intentionally suck which is why he had resentment. why would he be pissed at jr when he got punished for being cheap and had to pay 2 coaches at the same time?

I’m beginning to think that you’re either messing with me, or that there is some inside joke here about Markkanen being a 1st option calibre prospect

If you’re being serious (I don’t think you are), what on earth are you watching? Youve got to be watching a different player entirely. As far as defensive potential ALONE is concerned, Markkanen doesn’t share a dang thing in common with Porzingis. Like, they aren’t even in the same remote stratosphere. Let’s not even mention athleticism, strength, ball handling ability, etc. Markkanen is a stiff, Porzingis is a freak. Porzingis was drafted for his potentially-generational defensive upside

I have no idea why you’re comparing him to Nowitzki. They don’t share anything in common. Are these comparisons racially-driven? What do they have in common? Nowitzki was a singular athlete for his size & even at his most raw, anyone could see that his above average ball handling ability & deft/nimble foot speed were going to enable him to do some very special things as a 7 footer. Markkanen doesn’t have any of that going for him. He can’t create for himself, he can’t create for those around him, he’s slower than a sloth on a Thorazine bender, his ball handling sucks, he’s not a good nor smart passer, etc etc etc I mean the list of deficiencies goes on & on, and are enhanced by his epic lack of foot speed, which isn’t going to magically improve, ever

He’s still an intriguing prospect, but he’s a KVH at best/Ryan Anderson at worst player. He has nothing in common with Dirk nor Porzingis, who both possess generational abilities for their respective sizes. Markkanen doesn’t have any generational skills nor measurements. He’s a tall slow dude with a paltry wingspan, who is an awful defender, and who’s ceiling is probably the 4th best player on a winning team (maybe), provided said team has a competent offensive system in place. He certainly isn’t anyone worthy of being a centerpiece on an NBA squad lol. He’s never shown a Nowitzki nor KP archetype, that never happened. And WCJ May never put up consistently gaudy offensive #s (he could though), but there’s this other facet of basketball, and it’s called defense. Markkanen absolutely sucks at it & likely always will. WCJ is already very good at it & projects to eventually be really, really good at it

A couple of notes:

On some points I agree, on some I differ.

Agree on:
* WCJ will almost always be a better team defender than Lauri. Lauri neither has the instinct to play help D, nor has anybody coached him up in that regard. Last year he went from horrible, to below average, in a similar progression to Lavine, but they are both still net negative defenders. As a matter of fact, Lauri on D is very similar to Lavine. Let him guard 1-on-1, and he can usually hold his own, even against guards and wings on the perimeter. Make him rotate, or pay attention off ball, and he loses the plot almost entirely. Which is why I would rather he guards 3s and let Otto or the other big wing rotate to help schematically.

* There is no point in comparing him to Unicorn on D. Porzingis is a legit Gobert-like anchor when healthy. He blocks a lot and challenges a lot. Lauri will never be that because he's much shorter and doesn't have the wingspan for it.

Things I disagree on:
* Lauri can only be the 4th best offensive player on a good team. Lauri did 21/10 per 36 as a 21-year old soph. His sophomore year was much better than Dirk's, for example, and he had the pleasure of playing with Jerian Grant and Zach as his primary ball-handlers and Bobby and Jabari as fellow scoring PFs.

I watched Dirk's entire career, and while prime Dirk was something special, young Dirk was not that much better than soph Lauri. You could see the talent, but he was still behind in the pecking order on those Mav teams. Dirk did not become Dirk until Steve Nash took the reigns for the Mavs and it took him a good 4-5 seasons until he reached his prime. One of the reasons why I, for example, was so high on Lauri coming into last year, was precisely because he was ahead of Dirk on the development curve, at a younger age. I just never imagined what abomination of an O the FO and coaching staff would put together. To me getting Lauri to actually average 21/8 for a season was by far the lowest hanging fruit in terms of development.

Lauri has the potential to be extremely valuable for the same reason Dirk was. At 7 feet tall, if he learns how to play the right way, he would be very difficult to stop, no matter what the D does. That's an incredibly rare thing as a ceiling. And, he can get there even without adding a single skill to his current arsenal. If he actually smartens up OR gets somebody to teach him proper low-post and mid-post footwork, he can be really special, IMO.

I also think you're confusing poor footwork for being a stiff. These are not the same things. Lauri has poor footwork on O, absolutely true. But to call him a stiff at his height is disingenuous. He's 7 feet tall. Don't judge him based on criteria for players half a foot shorter than him. He's very fast for a guy that tall and is a pretty good vertical athlete for his size as well. He'll never be as nimble as a 6'7 guy, ever. But neither is Anthony Davis, and he seems to be doing just fine. That's not a reasonable criteria to judge anybody not named Giannis by.

The other thing that one must consider is that even if he ends up shooting 36-38% for his career on 3s, he's doing it at a very high volume, because he can just shoot over people and being able to shoot 6-7 times at these percentages has a quality of its own. Lauri, for the last 2 years, is the only Bull apart from Zach that was obviously game-planned for by opposing Ds. And, as a soph, he was still able to put up 19 points in only 30 min.

FebruLauri, as short as it was, was not that different from prime Dirk in terms of production. Which is to say, he has it in him. The question is, can he keep it up for a season and stay healthy. One of Dirk's big pluses was his longevity and durability.

I think the the biggest difference in opinion comes to what you think his ceiling is. Based on your posts, you think he can easily be taken out of the game, if he's game-planned for because you don't see a generational physical specimen. I actually think it's the exact opposite. I think once he's coached up, he'll be near impossible to be game-planned for. His hand-eye coordination and athleticism to me are extremely rare at his height. His ability to shoot over people is extremely valuable when D's tighten up.

Anyhow, to me, Lauri is the lowest hanging fruit for coach Donovan and the FO to pluck to make themselves look good. I don't think it would be that difficult to get him to 19-21/7-8 per game, just by tweaking how he's used, let alone if he shows actual personal improvement, and then this board will be singing a different tune plenty fast.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#167 » by drosereturn » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:37 pm

:crazy:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That looked impressive.

Thats just pure athleticism Lauri at his best. How many 7 footers can do windmill dunks in the history of the league? Not only he is stupidly athletic, he has a generational shooting stroke, and can handle the ball like a pg. The guy just screams superstar an aura I saw since Butler, Rose. Considering the past 7 picks look mediocre, the basketall gods definitely didnt offer Doncic and instead Lauri bc it would be the Euro super team every Euro would beg to join.

Idc if he busts like the haters say. When you are those rare Dirk archetypes with better athleticsm, I would try to target his development Jokic in Denver. Fortunate thing is AK knows how to develop big time talent like this considering he developed way worse prospect in Joker.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
drosereturn
Lead Assistant

Post#168 » by drosereturn » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:06 pm

chefo wrote:
Lauri has the potential to be extremely valuable for the same reason Dirk was. At 7 feet tall, if he learns how to play the right way, he would be very difficult to stop, no matter what the D does. That's an incredibly rare thing as a ceiling. And, he can get there even without adding a single skill to his current arsenal. If he actually smartens up OR gets somebody to teach him proper low-post and mid-post footwork, he can be really special, IMO.

I actually think it's the exact opposite. I think once he's coached up, he'll be near impossible to be game-planned for. His hand-eye coordination and athleticism to me are extremely rare at his height. His ability to shoot over people is extremely valuable when D's tighten up.

Basically this sums up my thought. When I evaluate a player, I dont just look at his ceiling. I look at the uniqueness of what can he bring to the game and what are the traits is he comparable to a max player.
Which is why I will choose Lauri over Lavine 100 times and Simmons over Embiid. Its not just who is better at the moment but rather who is more optimal building a team with. Players that can play like Lebron and Dirk is just way too intriguing to pass up.

Lauri doesnt even have to go Feb Lauri for his entire career. Even seeing the glimpse of his greatness for 1month gives me enough sample size he can still be a max type contribution player if he doesnt massively improve over his sophomore year. 7 foot guys that can score on 3 levels and shoot anywhere he wants is the most unique skillsets in the entire world. Duncan Robinson, who is a scrub that can only shoot 3s, is already so valuable he will get paid 8 figure salary minimum.

If lets say Lauri and Lavine never improved, I would go with 2nd yr Lauri over this yrs Lavine without question.
As great as Lavine was, White proved he can be as good as him in a single month which I have not seen since Feb Lauri.
In a guard driven league, its really not hard to score 25 pts on 20 attempts when Murray, Mitchell have been already doing it for yrs they keep coming every yr. But you hardly see players like Jokic, KP, Dirk they are a dying breed thats extinct.
You need stars that can do more in limited usage and Lauri can be that Bosh like 3rd wheel on a championship team because of his unselfishness. White has that similar mindset bc he already realizes merely scoring 20 doesnt help the game and is willing play defense like Hero whatever it takes to win he can be useful on a winning team.
The Chosen one
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#169 » by The Chosen one » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:20 pm

drosereturn wrote::crazy:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That looked impressive.

Thats just pure athleticism Lauri at his best. How many 7 footers can do windmill dunks in the history of the league? Not only he is stupidly athletic, he has a generational shooting stroke, and can handle the ball like a pg. The guy just screams superstar an aura I saw since Butler, Rose. Too talented to trade never even considered for Doncic.

Idc if he busts like the haters say. When you are those rare Dirk archetypes with better athleticsm, I would try to target his development Jokic in Denver. Fortunate thing is AK knows how to develop big time talent like this considering he developed way worse prospect in Joker.

Lauri will have a great year!! I’m calling it now.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#170 » by dougthonus » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:02 pm

drosereturn wrote:Thats just pure athleticism Lauri at his best. How many 7 footers can do windmill dunks in the history of the league

I would guess virtually all of them?

Not only he is stupidly athletic, he has a generational shooting stroke, and can handle the ball like a pg.

Literally, not a single one of these things is even remotely true.

He isn't stupidly athletic, he's not a slouch, but he's not a plus athlete relative to other guys, he can only defend one position athletically right now (PF) and isn't athletic enough to go bigger or smaller and do 3s or 5s nor is he a good pick and roll defender against guards.

He has an okay shooting stroke, especially for a seven footer, but he doesn't do step back threes, off the dribble threes, or pull up threes or really long range threes. He only shoots the most basic, catch and shoot threes, and only does so on fairly pedestrian efficiency. If he were a guard, he'd likely be viewed as a fairly low end shooter with that package.

Lauri's ball handling might be above average for a big man, but it's not even remotely guard quality.

I don't think he'll be a bust, he's a starting caliber player, a good player, top half of your rotation. That's his floor. It's just that his ceiling isn't ridiculously high without him improving in unlikely ways. Some guys do that (Jimmy Butler is the favored most current example), but you shouldn't expect guys to make uncommon leaps forward, that's the exception not the rule. Especially with guys that aren't athletic freaks that need to work out a few skills.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#171 » by Dez » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:58 pm

drosereturn wrote::crazy:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That looked impressive.

Thats just pure athleticism Lauri at his best. How many 7 footers can do windmill dunks in the history of the league? Not only he is stupidly athletic, he has a generational shooting stroke, and can handle the ball like a pg. The guy just screams superstar an aura I saw since Butler, Rose. Considering the past 7 picks look mediocre, the basketall gods definitely didnt offer Doncic and instead Lauri bc it would be the Euro super team every Euro would beg to join.

This has to be a joke, it just has to be.

Generational shooting stroke? He shoots the 3 at 36%.

Can handle the ball like a PG? He can't beat defenders off the dribble and create his own offense.

Stupidly athletic? He's a decent athletes.

The level of delusion you have with Lauri and his abilities is staggering, his name and him being 7ft are literally the only truthful things you've said.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#172 » by Jiipee84 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:30 pm

PhilLeotardo wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
PhilLeotardo wrote:
What really makes me laugh are the comparisons to Nowitzki LOL. Do these people not watch him play? He literally has nothing whatsoever in common with Nowitzki. Nowitzki was a 7 foot guard with unreal foot speed for his size & brilliant handles. Markkanen is a cement-footed stretch 4 :lol:

Regarding a trade, I personally believe it is imminent. I’ve heard Markkanen just wants out, the rift with Carter Jr (and the brass/coaching staff not doing anything to curb it) really left a bad taste in his mouth, as did the rest of the shenanigans that went down over the past couple of years. I think he just wants a fresh start elsewhere & it’d probably be best for the franchise as well. Apparently he & WCJ just don’t like one another, and I think that AKEVS will choose to move forward with WCJ instead due to his projection as a passer/defender & due to monetary factors, and again, because Lauri just wants out

Who knows, perhaps he magically transforms into a completely different human elsewhere & lives up to these bizarre Dirk comparisons :lol:

:lol:

OK, enough comedy. Here's one reason why Lauri isn't going anywhere.

Karnisovas and Eversley want to look good right out the gate. A handy way to achieve this is to make Jim Boylen look as incompetent as possible. It's common knowledge around the league that Markkanen had a pretty bad season, and it's also no secret that it had a lot to do with how Boylen utilized him. Hence, I suspect the new FO will make Lauri their special reclamation project. He'll be the guy whose improving play will signal the changing of the guard and a clean break from the awful Boylen years. If Markkanen picks it up and returns to FebruLauri status this season, it's basically a jackpot for the Bulls. Sure, he'll be slightly more expensive to re-sign, but knowing Lauri is a guy who appreciates security, stability and loyalty, I'm 100% sure he'll agree to a team-friendly deal as long as he's not insulted with a lowball offer.

Trading Lauri before he's had a new chance under Donovan would be akin to admitting that Boylen was right when he made Markkanen a spectator on the perimeter. Not gonna happen.

Oh, as for Wendell's "projection as a passer/defender" - his projection is an undersized garbageman who can't shoot or dribble.

That is a totally broad & unfounded assumption. You’ve got no idea what they’re feeling or thinking, no one does. For all we know, they want everyone except Cobi/WCJ/Gafford gone

AKEVS aren’t stupid, and Markkanens flaws are clear as day. Sure, Boylin misused him & set him back, but he’s never going to be fast enough to be a true multi-faceted weapon in the NBA, nor a competent defender, and he doesn’t possess Joker-esque vision that would be needed to make up for his physical & athletic deficiencies

You may be right, but everything you typed could also be utter nonsense. AKEVS aren’t PaxGar, they aren’t concerned with egotistical crap. They won’t keep an inferior player just to prove some nobody that doesn’t even work for the franchise anymore wrong. They’ll keep the guys who are talented & want to be there, and get rid of the guys who don’t. Lauri is a guy who’s upside isn’t nearly as high as people are making it out to be, and will likely wind up making too much money. I don’t think anyone would be shocked to see him get traded

And WCJ could definitely be better than just your average garbageman. We’ve seen flashes of a really good player when he’s been in shape & locked in. He’s a very good passer for a C, and has quality shooting mechanics. He went #7 in a GOAT draft for a reason. He’s very skilled, underrated athletically, and very very young

Excuse me what.
Did you really say WJC is a GOAT.
Get the hell out of here with that nonsense.

Shaq O'Neal was and is still a GOAT but guess what WJC isn't and never won't be next Shaq O'Neal.
PS thanks for good laughs.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#173 » by Dez » Wed Oct 7, 2020 10:35 pm

Jiipee84 wrote:
PhilLeotardo wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Karnisovas and Eversley want to look good right out the gate. A handy way to achieve this is to make Jim Boylen look as incompetent as possible. It's common knowledge around the league that Markkanen had a pretty bad season, and it's also no secret that it had a lot to do with how Boylen utilized him. Hence, I suspect the new FO will make Lauri their special reclamation project. He'll be the guy whose improving play will signal the changing of the guard and a clean break from the awful Boylen years. If Markkanen picks it up and returns to FebruLauri status this season, it's basically a jackpot for the Bulls. Sure, he'll be slightly more expensive to re-sign, but knowing Lauri is a guy who appreciates security, stability and loyalty, I'm 100% sure he'll agree to a team-friendly deal as long as he's not insulted with a lowball offer.

Trading Lauri before he's had a new chance under Donovan would be akin to admitting that Boylen was right when he made Markkanen a spectator on the perimeter. Not gonna happen.

Oh, as for Wendell's "projection as a passer/defender" - his projection is an undersized garbageman who can't shoot or dribble.

That is a totally broad & unfounded assumption. You’ve got no idea what they’re feeling or thinking, no one does. For all we know, they want everyone except Cobi/WCJ/Gafford gone

AKEVS aren’t stupid, and Markkanens flaws are clear as day. Sure, Boylin misused him & set him back, but he’s never going to be fast enough to be a true multi-faceted weapon in the NBA, nor a competent defender, and he doesn’t possess Joker-esque vision that would be needed to make up for his physical & athletic deficiencies

You may be right, but everything you typed could also be utter nonsense. AKEVS aren’t PaxGar, they aren’t concerned with egotistical crap. They won’t keep an inferior player just to prove some nobody that doesn’t even work for the franchise anymore wrong. They’ll keep the guys who are talented & want to be there, and get rid of the guys who don’t. Lauri is a guy who’s upside isn’t nearly as high as people are making it out to be, and will likely wind up making too much money. I don’t think anyone would be shocked to see him get traded

And WCJ could definitely be better than just your average garbageman. We’ve seen flashes of a really good player when he’s been in shape & locked in. He’s a very good passer for a C, and has quality shooting mechanics. He went #7 in a GOAT draft for a reason. He’s very skilled, underrated athletically, and very very young

Excuse me what.

Shaq O'Neal was and is still a GOAT but guess what WJC isn't and never won't be next Shaq O'Neal.

No he didn't, he was talking about the strength of the draft class.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#174 » by kodo » Thu Oct 8, 2020 4:50 am

He's pretty athletic for a 7 footer. But as a PF, that athleticism is just allowing him to keep up with the modern PFs who are 6' 8" like Tatum or around that size. He's not at an athletic advantage at the 4.

It also causes some weird assignments on defense. When against Boston, I guess Boylen wasn't going to try to have Lauri guard Tatum, so Lauri defended Brown. Kris Dunn ended up checking Tatum, and Tatum ended up shooting over him most of the night with his height advantage. So even though theoretically we had a huge height advantage at the 4, in the end Boston was the one to enjoy a height mismatch.

He'd better off as a 4/5, a PF who can slide to center in a 5 out lineup with teammates who can take advantage of a 5 out. That's not Chicago. And we've loaded up on so many centers adding Gafford & Kornet this year, Lauri never plays the 5 even if the other team goes small.

It's a cliche, but he'd look better on another team.
PhilLeotardo
Junior
And1: 220

Post#175 » by PhilLeotardo » Thu Oct 8, 2020 10:45 am

Jiipee84 wrote:
PhilLeotardo wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Excuse me what.

?
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#176 » by Louri » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

There's not that many shots, but shooting form looks faster and more steady. As mentioned earlier, Lauri said in podcast that he has tweaked his shooting a bit during summer and removed "pump" from it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-mailbag-who-benefits-most-billy-donovan-hire-nba-draft-targets

"Any word on which Bulls players have impressed in the bubble? — @tomnacher, via Twitter

Given that the focus was mostly on getting the rust out and merely playing 5-on-5 while doing some team bonding in a setting in which the new regime could get to know players personally, I’m not sure I’d put the level of competition even on the summer-league level. That said, I heard the names of Lauri Markkanen and Coby White the most of limited conversations."
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
The Chosen one
Freshman

Post#177 » by The Chosen one » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:11 pm

Louri wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

There's not that many shots, but shooting form looks faster and more steady. As mentioned earlier, Lauri said in podcast that he has tweaked his shooting a bit during summer and removed "pump" from it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-mailbag-who-benefits-most-billy-donovan-hire-nba-draft-targets

"Any word on which Bulls players have impressed in the bubble? — @tomnacher, via Twitter

Given that the focus was mostly on getting the rust out and merely playing 5-on-5 while doing some team bonding in a setting in which the new regime could get to know players personally, I’m not sure I’d put the level of competition even on the summer-league level. That said, I heard the names of Lauri Markkanen and Coby White the most of limited conversations."

Can’t wait to see the young talent of Lavine, White, Carter play together!
drosereturn
Lead Assistant

Post#178 » by drosereturn » Fri Oct 9, 2020 5:09 am

Louri wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I wouldnt be worried about Lauris form the least. His form is already Klay Thompson esque which is why I nicknamed him 7ft Klay in his rookie yr. Just by looking at NCAA numbers, you could tell he was a generational shooter that will rule the NBA for decades when no one can really block his quick release textbook form at 7ft.

Last yr his shooting did plummet but that was more about Boylen limiting him to 10 shots he never touched the ball whenever he shot there was a few awful airballs. Even inside, he is a great finisher but would like him to bully midgets when they dare guard him and teach them a lesson even if it means some offensive fouls. Also he has great athleticism and fludity, so using that great body to protect the interior like Gafford would grant him longevity instead of wasting energy on the perimeter.
The Chosen one
Freshman

Post#179 » by The Chosen one » Fri Oct 9, 2020 5:20 am

drosereturn wrote:
Louri wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I wouldnt be worried about Lauris form the least. His form is already Klay Thompson esque which is why I nicknamed him 7ft Klay in his rookie yr. Just by looking at NCAA numbers, you could tell he was a generational shooter that will rule the NBA for decades when no one can really block his quick release textbook form at 7ft.

Last yr his shooting did plummet but that was more about Boylen limiting him to 10 shots he never touched the ball whenever he shot there was a few awful airballs. Even inside, he is a great finisher but would like him to bully midgets when they dare guard him and teach them a lesson even if it means some offensive fouls. Also he has great athleticism and fludity, so using that great body to protect the interior like Gafford would grant him longevity instead of wasting energy on the perimeter.

Hey man I’m not trying to be rude but have you watched any games at all? None of the stuff you saying are true. Lauri was used poorly but taking 10 shots had part to due with him being passive. Lauri also did not bully guards last season. Teams did not even double Lauri last year when they had 6’2 guards on him. That has to change. Also Lauri should never be the main rim protector. He’s not close to Carter or Gaffords level at protecting the rim. Lauri has decent athleticism but doesn’t have the wingspan or timing to be a rim protector. He’s actually better at guarding the perimeter than playing against stronger players. Lauri I can see being a good 3rd option maybe second option if he can be more confident and learn to take advantage of match up and learn some go to moves.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#180 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 6:05 pm

Jiipee84 wrote:Excuse me what.

He said he went #7 in a GOAT draft. Nothing he said resembles mentioning WCJ(not WJC BTW)being a GOAT.

Were you just trying to find an argument for no reason?

Return to Chicago Bulls