Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#81 » by E S V L » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:06 am

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:W

Given your activity on the Trade board, are there any reasonable deals you maybe like to see us make this offseason even if the likely scenario is us mostly standing pat?

EDIT: Just wanted to see which of your various proposed trades (or trades others may have proposed) that you'd actually like to see and which were more about having fun/gauging value.

Nothing interesting:
1. Turner and Oladipo (JJJ+) - I am a huge Turner fan
2. Brown for JJJ
3. Clarke+ can give us almost any pick on this draft.
4. FVV and Woods are available via S&T (I am a big fan of both)
5. No real interest in Brooks, JV, or our future picks.
6. Horford, Love, Wiggins and etc. are all available but it makes 0 sense.
7. Our position on the 2021 market will be much better.
8. Melton and Konchar should be resigned; Melton then traded.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#82 » by VCfor3 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:11 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:W

Given your activity on the Trade board, are there any reasonable deals you maybe like to see us make this offseason even if the likely scenario is us mostly standing pat?

EDIT: Just wanted to see which of your various proposed trades (or trades others may have proposed) that you'd actually like to see and which were more about having fun/gauging value.

Nothing interesting:
1. Turner and Oladipo (JJJ+) - I am a huge Turner fan
2. Brown for JJJ
3. Clarke+ can give us almost any pick on this draft.
4. FVV and Woods are available via S&T (I am a big fan of both)
5. No real interest in Brooks, JV, or our future picks.
6. Horford, Love, Wiggins and etc. are all available but it makes 0 sense.
7. Our position on the 2021 market will be much better.
8. Melton and Konchar should be resigned; Melton then traded.

I think that
Crizzle wrote:
will be highly upset with 1 and 2 haha.

1. I like Turner but like JJJ more. Oladipo would be interesting but I don't know how great he will be again plus we'd have to pay him more than he deserves to keep him.
2. I wish there was a way to get Brown without giving up Ja or JJJ.
3. I can talk myself into moving Clarke+ in this draft, but deep down I still probably am hoping we just keep Clarke instead. (Sorry WholeTruth haha)
4. I'm good with those guys though it would depend on what we have to give up and how much we'd have to pay them.
5. I'm fine with moving Brooks or JV but I don't see another team valuing them enough to truly make it worth it to us in actuality. I also feel like any of our picks could end up being quite good so am fine moving them but have to love the return.
6. I'd only take those guys on with enough compensation. Horford I'd like the most if we ended up moving JV. With JV on the roster he is much less appealing.
7. Unless some great opportunity comes along, I'd rather wait until 2021 to make a big move. Cap space to help facilitate moves (whether ours or other teams for compensation), knowing what our draft picks are and if we got a top wing or not, see what we have in Winslow. I just feel like we can make a more educated decision at that time.
8. Konchar should be cheap so I hope we resign him. Melton I want back but at a good price. 5-7m a year at most. If he is looking at more than that see if there are any S&T opportunities. Try to convince the offering team that you'd match without getting back at least a 2nd or two.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#83 » by Whole Truth » Thu Oct 8, 2020 12:26 am

VCfor3 wrote: 1. I like Turner but like JJJ more. Oladipo would be interesting but I don't know how great he will be again plus we'd have to pay him more than he deserves to keep him.
2. I wish there was a way to get Brown without giving up Ja or JJJ.
3. I can talk myself into moving Clarke+ in this draft, but deep down I still probably am hoping we just keep Clarke instead. (Sorry WholeTruth haha)
4. I'm good with those guys though it would depend on what we have to give up and how much we'd have to pay them.
5. I'm fine with moving Brooks or JV but I don't see another team valuing them enough to truly make it worth it to us in actuality. I also feel like any of our picks could end up being quite good so am fine moving them but have to love the return.
6. I'd only take those guys on with enough compensation. Horford I'd like the most if we ended up moving JV. With JV on the roster he is much less appealing.
7. Unless some great opportunity comes along, I'd rather wait until 2021 to make a big move. Cap space to help facilitate moves (whether ours or other teams for compensation), knowing what our draft picks are and if we got a top wing or not, see what we have in Winslow. I just feel like we can make a more educated decision at that time.
8. Konchar should be cheap so I hope we resign him. Melton I want back but at a good price. 5-7m a year at most. If he is looking at more than that see if there are any S&T opportunities. Try to convince the offering team that you'd match without getting back at least a 2nd or two.

I'm on the same page as you overall.

Not a fan of trading 3J & though the mention of a Brown swap is intriguing, Memphis should keep 3J for the same reason Boston would be willing to give up Brown for him. Think it easier to find a 3 & D wing like Brown, than a young 2 way big like 3J. I'm with Crizzle in thinking he has the highest potential ceiling on the team. Which is saying something considering how good I think Morant will turn out to be.

It's no secret I want in the 2020 draft for Onyeka but ideally, not at the price of Clarke & Memphis quality big man depth. I want a big man rotation of Onyeka, Jonas, 3J + Clarke moving forward. Then from there Memphis can angle & focus on addressing a future wing prospect in the 2021 draft.

With a Ja & Tyus PG rotation, paying big money for FVV, which he'll command, doesn't make much sense & if Memphis could trade in for Onyeka without trading Clarke, they would IMO have the best big man rotation in the league, all things considered, depth, versatility & potential. Then as mentioned, Memphis would only need focus on a future SG/SF from there before looking to make win now moves & or big money signings like FVV & or Wood.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#84 » by E S V L » Thu Oct 8, 2020 1:50 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote: 1. I like Turner but like JJJ more. Oladipo would be interesting but I don't know how great he will be again plus we'd have to pay him more than he deserves to keep him.

With a Ja & Tyus PG rotation, paying big money for FVV, which he'll command, doesn't make much sense & if Memphis could trade in for Onyeka without trading Clarke, they would IMO have the best big man rotation in the league, all things considered, depth, versatility & potential. Then as mentioned, Memphis would only need focus on a future SG/SF from there before looking to make win now moves & or big money signings like FVV & or Wood.

1. We all like Onyeka, but I don`t believe he is available at any reasonable price.
2. I am with you both on 3J. He is certainly untouchable.
3. FVV can play along with Ja and Tyus similar to how he has supplemented Lowry for years. He is a very solid comboguard, almost a veteran, great ethic, decent defense, BBIQ, PO experience, though still young. And he is available at a reasonable price, unlike Onyeka. I believe this trio (Ja-Tyus-FVV) is interchangeable, very mobile and versatile, which would be very tough to guard. Dieng + Allen + 1st can be a price worth paying.
4. Regarding Horford, you guys should take into account that he`ll likely be a Batum in his last 2 years of the contract, and this would cost us a lot - like 2 FRPs.
5. It seems like we all agree that 2021 will provide us with better opportunities.
6. Finally, we all forget about Grayson Allen. Due to his phenomenal bubble performance, he is now at his best value trade-wise, unlike Brooks or Melton. Allen should give us a 2020 pick in the 25-35 range pretty easily, don`t you think so?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#85 » by VCfor3 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:04 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

1. We all like Onyeka, but I don`t believe he is available at any reasonable price.
3. FVV can play along with Ja and Tyus similar to how he has supplemented Lowry for years. He is a very solid comboguard, almost a veteran, great ethic, decent defense, BBIQ, PO experience, though still young. And he is available at a reasonable price, unlike Onyeka. I believe this trio (Ja-Tyus-FVV) is interchangeable, very mobile and versatile, which would be very tough to guard. Dieng + Allen + 1st can be a price worth paying.
4. Regarding Horford, you guys should take into account that he`ll likely be a Batum in his last 2 years of the contract, and this would cost us a lot - like 2 FRPs.
5. It seems like we all agree that 2021 will provide us with better opportunities.
6. Finally, we all forget about Grayson Allen. Due to his phenomenal bubble performance, he is now at his best value trade-wise, unlike Brooks or Melton. Allen should give us a 2020 pick in the 25-35 range pretty easily, don`t you think so?

I think Allen may be 30-40 more than 25-30 value-wise, but agree his value is at his highest. The question is do we want to keep him for ourselves or move him. He is a solid 5th guard for us and is relatively cheap. He also may be one of our better 3pt threats. But if we did move him I doubt we'd feel the loss too much. If someone we really like is dropping I wonder if Allen+40 or future 2nd+40 would move us up enough to get whoever our FO was targeting.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#86 » by E S V L » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:25 pm

VCfor3 wrote:But if we did move him I doubt we'd feel the loss too much. If someone we really like is dropping I wonder if Allen+40 or future 2nd+40 would move us up enough to get whoever our FO was targeting.

What concerns me is that we have Brooks, Melton, Konchar, Allen, and Guduric at one position. Guduric aside (to be waived), what is our SG rotation next season?
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#87 » by Whole Truth » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:27 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

With Ja & Tyus. I have the PG rotation, Low on concern & priority.

At centre I don't think 3J & Clarke can fill the 5 spot effectively outside of matchups in the case Jonas physicality is no longer an option moving forward. This is why my focus is on trading in for Onyeka, who I think is an ideal fit with 3J & Ja, having Clarke as a quality depth option, with injuries a concern. I don't mind overpaying a bit bit without giving up 3J, Clarke, Ja & to a lesser extent Jonas & Tyus, who I think Memphis can effectively replace in free agency 2021 with several quality targets available.

As a result of solidifying the big man rotation. Memphis would then only have to focus solely on getting the right wing solution 2021.

Move for Onyeka. Set positions.

Onyeka / Jonas / Jontay development league
3J / Clarke
?
?
Ja / Tyyus

Brooks/Winslow/Anderson/Grayson/Melton, will have more opportunity to show what they can potentially be for Memphis ... starter, 6th man, quality depth or traded. Then Memphis with C/PF/PG set moving forward, can better focus on molding the wing rotation for need & fit. Potentially angle for the draft for that wing prospect, 2yr rebuild, done & done. Then they can start making win now moves 2022 with the core group set & under long term control.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#88 » by Whole Truth » Thu Oct 8, 2020 2:36 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

I think Allen may be 30-40 more than 25-30 value-wise, but agree his value is at his highest. The question is do we want to keep him for ourselves or move him. He is a solid 5th guard for us and is relatively cheap. He also may be one of our better 3pt threats. But if we did move him I doubt we'd feel the loss too much. If someone we really like is dropping I wonder if Allen+40 or future 2nd+40 would move us up enough to get whoever our FO was targeting.

I think the possibility of Brooks being pushed into a 6th man role or not, changes the dynamic, which is why I'm not trying to make an early read on the wing rotation with all the questions that need to be answered. It's why I have my main focus on addressing the Centre position long term because I think trading in for Onyeka is an ideal fit for Memphis that solidifies the front court along with it's PG rotation. I think Memphis would be jumping the gun deciding how these wing player fit into the equation based on a seasons play. I'd most likely run it back & take the risk Allen loses some value over trading him early for a late pick. Now if he's in a package with Memphis future owned picks for Onyeka, pack his bags.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#89 » by E S V L » Thu Oct 8, 2020 4:35 pm

1. JJJ will be an NBA ready centre in 2022.
2. We can find a centre on the market, they are more available than elite wings.
3. Onyeaka is a great kid, but I believe you overestimate both his level and our need in him. JV/JJ/Clarke/Dieng is a solid rotation.
4. Your disregard of our need in elite wings is unjustified.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#90 » by Whole Truth » Thu Oct 8, 2020 8:58 pm

1. 3J averages 4 rebounds & has been injured twice now in as many years playing PF & mostly on the perimeter. You think he'll be ready in 2 years, you think Clarke who doesn't have the strength & length in certain matchups will pick up the slack physically, which is the role Jonas currently fills & has masked the fact?. I have him a a situational C moving forward. 3J/Clarke IMO both need Onyeka's toughness & grit. Once Jonas is gone he won't be an easy hole to fill as thought by some, he's massively under-rated. Pick up someone like Kanter in free agency & see for yourself.

2. I can find a wing on the market, they are more available than good-elite centre's. You try & sign Bam in free agency, I'll try & draft him on rookie scale & control (picks 4-7).

3. Rehash point #1. Jv/3J/Clarke/Dieng is a solid rotation for now, however Jonas has a year left & Dieng is expiring. IMO what Jonas brings to the table will need to be replaced. Physicality, rebounding & general toughness in the post. If you think you can easily do that in free agency, I disagree. Like everyone else I could be wrong in my views but I've targeted a makeup & skill set with Onyeka that I think is an ideal fit next to both 3J & Ja. He's a specified target that some scrub on the market won't fill.

4. I haven't disregarded the need for an upgrade on the wing. I'm just not trying to force a solution. As stated, I think Memphis will be in a better situation next year to sort through the current wing rotation & find a solution in the 21 draft. You thinking trade in for Vassell?.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#91 » by Whole Truth » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Minnesota trade - (Johnson, Culver, #1) for (Simmons, #25)

OKC trade - (CP3) for (Dieng + Johnson =31m exp, Richardson, #17, #33)

Sixers trade - (Simmons, Horford, Richardson) for (CP3, Anderson, Guduric, #1, #40)

Memphis trade - (Dieng, Guduric, Anderson), #40) for (Horford, Culver)

Horford / Jonas
3J / Clarke
Brooks / Winslow
Culver / Allen - Melton
Ja / Tyus

Memphis net Culver for helping Minnesota/Philly get OKC their desired salary dump in a SImmons, CP3 + #1 swap.

Ja is now surrounded by defenders 2-5 that can optimally space the floor. Pushing Jonas to the bench with Clarke & the Duke trio making that bench unit IMO among the leagues best, if not best. Everyone on that bench can effectively start.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#92 » by VCfor3 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:36 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Minnesota trade - (Johnson, Culver, #1) for (Simmons, #25)

Sixers trade - (Simmons, Horford, Richardson) for (CP3, Anderson, Guduric, #1, #40)

Horford / Jonas
3J / Clarke
Brooks / Winslow
Culver / Allen - Melton
Ja / Tyus

Memphis net Culver for helping Minnesota/Philly get OKC their desired salary dump in a SImmons, CP3 + #1 swap.

Ja is now surrounded by defenders 2-5 that can optimally space the floor. Pushing Jonas to the bench with Clarke & the Duke trio making that bench unit IMO among the leagues best, if not best. Everyone on that bench can effectively start.

Culver was really bad last year. I don't think I want to eat Horford for him.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#93 » by VCfor3 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:39 pm

MEM in: TPE
MEM out: Anderson

GSW in: Anderson, Rose
GSW out: TPE, 2021 Top 20 protected 1st

DET in: TPE, 2021 Top 20 Protected 1st
DET out: Rose

Memphis gets a 9.5m TPE that can be used for a potential salary dump. GSW gets depth while keeping their high end picks. Detroit gets their 1st for Rose.

It is a fairly small deal but we get more cap in 2021 plus could maybe do something like Hood+2nd into the TPE to net an additional small asset.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#94 » by Whole Truth » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:02 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Culver was really bad last year. I don't think I want to eat Horford for him.

Memphis aren't eating the entire contract, Anderson's 10m/3yrs is being sent back taking roughly 30m off. Then factor Horford's court value & fit with Ja, (a drive first PG) over Jonas in the lane. The deal is not just 80m dead weight salary for Culver. Horford has some potential court value for Memphis as well as the potential for Culver.

Having said that, it ultimately does come down to how you view Culver's potential ?. Maybe Memphis can ask for more value?..(The 17th pick was heading to OKC in the original Minnesota/Sixer trade for CP3 that had no expiring value heading their way.

Aware Culver had a bad rookie year, it's why he's potentially available & a buy low candidate based on his potential.

Question is, do you see that potential or is he the player he was in his rookie year?.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#95 » by Whole Truth » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:19 pm

VCfor3 wrote:MEM in: TPE

Memphis gets a 9.5m TPE that can be used for a potential salary dump. GSW gets depth while keeping their high end picks. Detroit gets their 1st for Rose.

It is a fairly small deal but we get more cap in 2021 plus could maybe do something like Hood+2nd into the TPE to net an additional small asset.

I like the concept. Mentioned something similar with Winslow's 15m on the trade board apposed to Anderson's 9-10m because I was thinking Memphis could absorb a larger contract for better value where Warriors problem is they're limited in their use of the TPE because of their specific needs to contend. Whereas Memphis in this swap, can take on any contract, in a climate teams & owners could be hurting financially.

So whether it's Winslow or Anderson, I like it depending on what Memphis can do with the 10-15m virtual cap space.

Cavs who I think are over the cap might want to shed some salary in a package deal for #5 ...

- (Melton or Josh S&T, A little savings 10-15m TPE & a future pick, Utah or GS) for (filler, dead salary, #5).
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#96 » by VCfor3 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Whole Truth wrote:

I like the concept. Mentioned something similar with Winslow's 15m on the trade board apposed to Anderson's 9-10m because I was thinking Memphis could absorb a larger contract for better value where Warriors problem is they're limited in their use of the TPE because of their specific needs to contend. Whereas Memphis in this swap, can take on any contract, in a climate teams & owners could be hurting financially.

So whether it's Winslow or Anderson, I like it depending on what Memphis can do with the 10-15m virtual cap space.

Cavs who I think are over the cap might want to shed some salary in a package deal for #5 ...

- (Melton or Josh S&T, A little savings 10-15m TPE & a future pick, Utah or GS) for (filler, dead salary, #5).

I think I want to see Winslow play with us before moving him unless it is an overpay by another team. His injury history is very concerning, but he still has the potential to be a great glue guy for our team. I love his defensive potential to guard 1-4 and his secondary playmaking should hopefully ease the burden off Ja to be the guy every time down the court.

As for Culver, I still think he has potential so don't mind us going for him but I would be hesitant to ascribe him much value after his lackluster rookie year.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#97 » by E S V L » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:42 pm

Easy no from me unless there is a clear, not hypothetical, purpose for getting TRE.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#98 » by E S V L » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:43 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

Horford / Jonas
3J / Clarke
Brooks / Winslow
Culver / Allen - Melton
Ja / Tyus

I actually like this return as I am high on Culver.

On a side note, no way Simmons might be traded for this return.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#99 » by Whole Truth » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:52 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Horford / Jonas
3J / Clarke
Brooks / Winslow
Culver / Allen - Melton
Ja / Tyus

I actually like this return as I am high on Culver.

On a side note, no way Simmons might be traded for this return.

The Minnesota/Philly/OKC part of the trade was lifted from the Minnesota/Philly boards.

The only part of the trade concept that's mine, is inserting Memphis to satisfy OKC's need/demand to not want to take on salary in moving Paul.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#100 » by VCfor3 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:35 pm

E S V L wrote:

Easy no from me unless there is a clear, not hypothetical, purpose for getting TRE.

I saw it as a free salary dump at worst. Do you think Anderson can actually get a somewhat respectable 3pt shot?

Return to Memphis Grizzlies