ImageImageImage

Ben Simmons for the No. 1 Pick?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Would you trade the No. 1 pick, Culver, Johnson, Spellman, and Evans for Ben Simmons?

Yes, in heart beat. All NBA defender and 3rd star to pair with KAT & DLo
86%
No, giving too much and Simmons can't shoot
14%

Total votes: 66

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,191

Re: Ben Simmons for the No. 1 Pick? 

Post#141 » by Neeva » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:13 am

Yea I am over Simmons, his contract (makes 12
Million more Than Kat) and injury prone history are big red flags.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,487

Post#142 » by Wolveswin » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:31 am

Neeva wrote:Yea I am over Simmons, his contract (makes 12

I think you need to check your sources on his salary. He doesn’t make 12mil more than KAT. And more to that point, his actual contract isn’t set yet until cap is set for next year.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#143 » by Neeva » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:44 am

Wolveswin wrote:

I think you need to check your sources on his salary. He doesn’t make 12mil more than KAT. And more to that point, his actual contract isn’t set yet until cap is set for next year.

His contract overall is 12 million more. Kat 158, Simmons 170.. is what I meant.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#144 » by Wolveswin » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:49 am

Neeva wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

His contract overall is 12 million more. Kat 158, Simmons 170.. is what I meant.

That is a weird way to look at it. Simmons has a extra year and his salary isn’t even set yet.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#145 » by Neeva » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:49 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Neeva wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:I think you need to check your sources on his salary. He doesn’t make 12mil more than KAT. And more to that point, his actual contract isn’t set yet until cap is set for next year.

That is a weird way to look at it. Simmons has a extra year and his salary isn’t even set yet.

They both signed that amount for 5 years...
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#146 » by Wolveswin » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:51 am

Neeva wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Neeva wrote:

They both signed that amount for 5 years...

Oh I see what you are trying to say. When KAT signed his vs. when Simmons signed his 1 year later.

Overall is a bad way to look at it when Simmons contract is not set. They are/will be exact same per year with Simmons having a extra year.

Philadelphia 76ers guard Ben Simmons signed a 5-year $167 million max extension in the summer of 2019 that will take up 25% of the cap space that Philadelphia has. With the salary cap expected to decrease due to the league expecting to lose $1 billion in revenue, Simmons’ contract is expected to decrease in value, and therefore, he loses out on money.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#147 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:52 am

I wonder what Kat and Dlo would openly say about the idea of fit with Simmons. Would they even answer the question?
I think they would all have to resign themselves to being shooters and letting Simmons run the offense. Everyone standing around wating for Simmons to feed them. Then if he ever misses games, a completely different looking offense results.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#148 » by jpatrick » Thu Oct 8, 2020 8:46 am

I’ve listened to a few 76er podcast this week. The only thing that seems certain is neither Simmons nor Embiid are being traded this offseason.

Maybe at the deadline or next offseason, but they are going to give Doc a chance to make it work. I think they will be open to trading essentially everyone else now though.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#149 » by shangrila » Thu Oct 8, 2020 10:36 am

jpatrick wrote:I’ve listened to a few 76er podcast this week. The only thing that seems certain is neither Simmons nor Embiid are being traded this offseason.

Maybe at the deadline or next offseason, but they are going to give Doc a chance to make it work. I think they will be open to trading essentially everyone else now though.

Which was obvious from the start.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#150 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:39 pm

For the sake of argument, if Dlo was onball what would Simmons be doing? Anyone?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,889

Post#151 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:54 pm

Jedzz wrote:For the sake of argument, if Dlo was onball what would Simmons be doing? Anyone?

Same thing any player does when someone else is onball.....play offball.

Simmons had some improvements to make as a roller this season, from his screen setting to his assertiveness rolling down the lane. It didn’t help that he’d hardly been used in this role before, and was playing in an offense poorly built to maximize his talents. He set harder screens and rolled with purpose more often this season, though, and Brett Brown gave him more opportunities as a roll man as the season progressed.

Simmons’ increased aggressiveness to drive, attack mismatches, screen, and roll was a vital part of his development. All of this helped fuel his monstrous surge late in the season, before he was sidelined with nerve impingement in his lower back. Over his last 20 healthy games through January and February, Simmons averaged 21.2 points on 61.3 percent shooting and upped his free throw rate to 6.9 attempts per game, making 67.9 percent.

Simmons’ game against Houston on January 3 felt like a bit of a turning point. It was perhaps the most we’d ever seen Simmons used as an off-ball, screening/rolling/cutting force at the time, and he was brilliant. He scored 29 points on 13-of-20 shooting that night, and displayed signs of growing chemistry with Josh Richardson as the pick-and-roll ball handler.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2020/7/3/21311760/ben-simmons-is-ready-to-be-used-more-as-a-roll-man-philadelphia-76ers-sixers-nba

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#152 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:15 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:For the sake of argument, if Dlo was onball what would Simmons be doing? Anyone?

Simmons had some improvements to make as a roller this season, from his screen setting to his assertiveness rolling down the lane. It didn’t help that he’d hardly been used in this role before, and was playing in an offense poorly built to maximize his talents. He set harder screens and rolled with purpose more often this season, though, and Brett Brown gave him more opportunities as a roll man as the season progressed.

Simmons’ increased aggressiveness to drive, attack mismatches, screen, and roll was a vital part of his development. All of this helped fuel his monstrous surge late in the season, before he was sidelined with nerve impingement in his lower back. Over his last 20 healthy games through January and February, Simmons averaged 21.2 points on 61.3 percent shooting and upped his free throw rate to 6.9 attempts per game, making 67.9 percent.

Simmons’ game against Houston on January 3 felt like a bit of a turning point. It was perhaps the most we’d ever seen Simmons used as an off-ball, screening/rolling/cutting force at the time, and he was brilliant. He scored 29 points on 13-of-20 shooting that night, and displayed signs of growing chemistry with Josh Richardson as the pick-and-roll ball handler.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2020/7/3/21311760/ben-simmons-is-ready-to-be-used-more-as-a-roll-man-philadelphia-76ers-sixers-nba

Well that's positive to read about.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,816

Post#153 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:17 pm

Klomp wrote:

Simmons can't shoot from distance at all and won't shoot from distance at all. He isn't the archetype we are looking for. However, he is extremely good at the game of basketball and is well worth the #1 pick in this draft. If we had the opportunity to make that trade involving JJ, and whatever other salary matching elements needed I would do it without a moments hesitation assuming no medical concerns that I'm unaware of.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#154 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:25 pm

Other than LeBron James having a passable jump shot and FT shooting is there much difference between James and Simmons? Their games are so similar otherwise. Simmons is a little taller and a little better defender.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#155 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:36 pm

I just checked out Simmon's Wiki page and found out that he too has been caught up in the Kardashian spiderweb dating Kendall Jenner from 2018-2019.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#156 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 10:21 pm

PnR with Dlo, cutting to the basket, going after off rebs?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#157 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 8, 2020 11:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Other than LeBron James having a passable jump shot and FT shooting is there much difference between James and Simmons? Their games are so similar otherwise. Simmons is a little taller and a little better defender.

huh?

Bron can even hit lefty 3s.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#158 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 9, 2020 12:37 am

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Other than LeBron James having a passable jump shot and FT shooting is there much difference between James and Simmons? Their games are so similar otherwise. Simmons is a little taller and a little better defender.

huh?

LeBron is about average as a jump shooter. He shoots 34.4% from three. League average is 35.1% according to the stat I found. So slightly below average on 3s. When I say jump shot I'm pretty much talking anything15 feet and longer. I don't have his or the league average from 15-23 feet, but I would guess he's pretty average from that distance also.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#159 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 9, 2020 1:45 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

huh?

LeBron is about average as a jump shooter. He shoots 34.4% from three. League average is 35.1% according to the stat I found. So slightly below average on 3s. When I say jump shot I'm pretty much talking anything15 feet and longer. I don't have his or the league average from 15-23 feet, but I would guess he's pretty average from that distance also.

This is just a horrible take to compare Simmons to Bron of all things because of how they shoot? This is just more of your outlandish posting trying to get people to post more. Get your bonus yet? Did someone promise you a moderator job for driving garbage discussions? This feels like Trump trumping up bogus news stories to keep people off his taxes news a little longer. Stand by and be ready to do more!

There is nothing average about Bron. When his team needs a three he hits a three. But let's go with his average, whether perfectly average or just below. How on earth does that compare to Simmons?

Simmons:
2 of 24 from 3pt land in 217 starts = 8% 3pt shooter so far. Refuses to shoot them. 0.11 attempts/g
% of his overal attempts by distance / % of makes from distance
.9% from 3pt line / 8% makes
20% 16 to 22 ft / 26% makes
11% 10-16 ft / 29% makes
32% 3-10 ft / 40% makes
55% 0-3 ft / 72% makes

In other words, 99% of his shots are 2pt attempts. Over half attempts are from 0-3 ft which he makes at a good 72% clip. Which somewhat offsets how horribly he shoots from any other distance. But there is that 20% of shots coming from 16 to 22 ft at 26% that could be alleviated by a Coach, say Ryan, just telling him to never take those ever again. Which might then cause him to shoot 99.9% of shots from the 0-3 ft distance. That might just get him from 17ppg on 13 FGA and 5FTA all the way up to 20ppg on the same amount of shots. But someone is really going to have to force him.

Klomp posted a story about how he improved at some other - new things - recently. It just didn't have anything to do with shooting because he's been the picture of consistency over three seasons in the way and where from that he shoots. I don't see as much as a wiggle in these numbers from year to year.

One thing I'm certain of, he doesn't relate or compare to Lebron in shooting in any fashion. Simmons is a Net scorer period, at least until he decides to work on the skill of shooting. So while he may be dang near unstoppable around the net, this here is what we call a one trick pony on offense. So he really only fits in one way as a scorer. Make room for that or don't. Frankly outside of Rose we haven't had any consistent skilled studs near the net for a long time, so I wouldn't hate the idea at all for that reason. Is it possible to be a two-way role player? Yes it is, and that should have been how he's paid. I just have a serious issue with the combination of his contract and his likelihood of missing games to injury from this point on.

Injury-wise:
Missed rookie season (out injured - foot injury)
Since:
Most recent injuries are serious:
Back nerve impingement (missed 9.75 games)
Knee injury (missed 9 bubble/playoff games so far).

So for a large physical athletic player, his injuries have been the worst kind. Foot, Back, Knee. I'm thinking a lot about how much it sucked to sign Pekovic to a 5/60 deal in 2013 and then got maybe 94 games out of a possible 246 games until the team finally waived him. They couldn't help Love/Rubio anymore because of that deal and they refused to eat the cost immediately. 2.5 seasons of nearly no play. Only this Simmons deal is for 25% of the cap for the next 5 years and he's one tweaked knee/back away from collecting seasons off the bench. For a guy who makes his bread from 99% from 0-3 ft, it's a concern to me and it's too bad.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#160 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 9, 2020 1:52 am

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
huh?

This is just a horrible take to compare Simmons to Bron of all things because of how they shoot? This is just more of your trash posting trying to get people to post more. Get your bonus yet? Did someone promise you a moderator job for driving garbage discussions? This feels like Trump trumping up bogus news stories to keep people off his taxes news a little longer.

There is nothing average about Bron. When his team needs a three he hits a three. It's just not something he does regularly to heat up on. But let's go with his average, whether perfectly average or just below. How on earth does that compare to Simmons?

Simmons:
2 of 24 from 3pt land in 217 starts = 8% 3pt shooter so far. Refuses to shoot them. 0.11 attempts/g
% of his overal attempts by distance / % of makes from distance
.9% from 3pt line / 8% makes
20% 16 to 22 ft / 26% makes
11% 10-16 ft / 29% makes
32% 3-10 ft / 40% makes
55% 0-3 ft / 72% makes

In other words, 99% of his shots are 2pt attempts, over half attempts are from 0-3 ft which he makes at a good 72% clip. Which somewhat offsets how horribly he shoots from any other distance. But there is that 20% of shots coming from 16 to 22 ft at 26% that could be alleviated by a Coach, say Ryan, just telling him to never take those again. Which might then cause him to shoot 99.9% of shots from the 0-3 ft distance. That might just get him from 17ppg on 13 FGA and 5FTA all the way up to 20ppg on the same amount of shots.

Klomp posted a story about how he improved at some other - new things - recently. It just didn't have anything to do with shooting because he's been the picture of consistency over three seasons in the way and where from that he shoots. I don't see as much as a wiggle in these numbers from year to year.

One thing I'm certain of, he doesn't relate or compare to Lebron in shooting in any fashion. Simmons is a Net scorer, period, until he decides to work on the skill of shooting more. So while he may be dang near unstoppable around the net, this here is what we call a one trick pony on offense. So he really only fits in one way as a scorer. Make room for that or don't.

Jedzz you really love to find a disagreement when there isn't one. I was saying the shooting is what makes LeBron better than Simmons. It isn't what makes them comparable. Pretty much everything else makes them comparable. However, you will take some exception to that I'm sure.

Here's my post again.
Other than LeBron James having a passable jump shot and FT shooting is there much difference between James and Simmons? Their games are so similar otherwise. Simmons is a little taller and a little better defender.
Notice the bolded part how I specifically pointed out that James does have a passable jump shot and FT shooting. In other words different from Simmons. Than look at the italicized part. Their games are so similar other than the shooting. It's just mind blowing how you can read a post and get the opposite of what the poster was saying from it. I should have knew better than to reply, but I treated you like a normal poster here explaining my intent.

Here's a little more to help you understand how much we agree about Simmons shooting or lack thereof. My reply to Klomp just before the post that you took offense to.

Simmons can't shoot from distance at all and won't shoot from distance at all.

Now look above to what you said about Simmons. Perfect agreement with me, but you want to argue about it.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves