Patrick Williams
No votes

Total votes: 27

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,237

Re: Charlotte 2020 Big Board - Pick #2 

Post#21 » by amcoolio » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:27 pm

I'm 50/50 on Hayes/Okongwu, I'd be shocked if we took either over Edwards or Wiseman, but I'll take Okongwu
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#22 » by yosemiteben » Thu Oct 8, 2020 6:43 pm

The only thing that makes me worried about OO is worrying that I'm biased due to the obvious Bam comp. OO seems like a can't miss starter based on what he's good at and potentially a Bam level contributor if he adds skills he didn't show in college.

I watched the videos with OO and Wiseman where they were interviewed by Mike Schmitz, and I came away much more impressed with OO.

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#23 » by Braggins » Thu Oct 8, 2020 10:03 pm

yosemiteben wrote:The only thing that makes me worried about OO is worrying that I'm biased due to the obvious Bam comp. OO seems like a can't miss starter based on what he's good at and potentially a Bam level contributor if he adds skills he didn't show in college.

I watched the videos with OO and Wiseman where they were interviewed by Mike Schmitz, and I came away much more impressed with OO.

I thought they both did really well.
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#24 » by chabber » Thu Oct 8, 2020 10:27 pm

amcoolio wrote:I'm 50/50 on Hayes/Okongwu, I'd be shocked if we took either over Edwards or Wiseman, but I'll take Okongwu

Haven’t voted in either poll, but I’m split between Hayes and Okongwu as well as tops on my board. Probably go with Hayes if I had to chose, but I really like the smarts I’ve seen in Okongwu.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,171

Post#25 » by SWedd523 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 10:53 pm

yosemiteben wrote:The only thing that makes me worried about OO is worrying that I'm biased due to the obvious Bam comp. OO seems like a can't miss starter based on what he's good at and potentially a Bam level contributor if he adds skills he didn't show in college.

I'm still waiting to hear a good reason why he's even compared to Bam in the first place other than having a similar physical profile.

It seems lazy and a victim of currency
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#26 » by yosemiteben » Thu Oct 8, 2020 11:05 pm

SWedd523 wrote:

I'm still waiting to hear a good reason why he's even compared to Bam in the first place other than having a similar physical profile.

It seems lazy and a victim of currency

Their college stats, college roles, and body types are extremely similar.

Watch that video, it's talked about ad nauseum.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#27 » by James Gatz » Fri Oct 9, 2020 12:17 am

To be clear, I like the Bam comparison but only on the defensive end. He's nothing like Bam on offense.

Defensively they both have quick feet,good hips, and strong legs that allow them to switch and guard 1-5. They are also both good/great rim protectors and good rebounders. To be fair, Precious is more like Bam on defense than Okongwu, but it's not a horrible comp.

Offensively Bam is on a whole other level. Bam can handle the ball, has good touch, and makes great decisions. I like Okongwu but he hasn't shown the ability to do these things so far. He never really got to make many short roll decisions as he was often playing the 4 in college. Most of his points came from dives at the rim and post ups. He won't be able to survive posting up against NBA bigs. He'll be good on mismatches though. He's made a few jumpers, but it's mostly theoretical at this point i.e. I'll believe it when I see it.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#28 » by UNCNYC » Fri Oct 9, 2020 12:55 am

1.Terry
2. Hayes

Thats all
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#29 » by yosemiteben » Fri Oct 9, 2020 1:03 am

James Gatz wrote:Offensively Bam is on a whole other level. Bam can handle the ball, has good touch, and makes great decisions.

That's Bam now, but not college Bam. Watch that video, they talk all about it.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#30 » by James Gatz » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:08 am

yosemiteben wrote:
James Gatz wrote:Offensively Bam is on a whole other level. Bam can handle the ball, has good touch, and makes great decisions.

Yeah man, I've seen the video and watched numerous of his games at USC. I don't think it's likely or fair to Okongwu as a prospect to expect for him develop in the extraordinary ways that Bam has up this point. You can compare them as similar prospects at the moment they were drafted but it doesn't make sense they would follow the same development curve.

I'm still high on him as a prospect, but we shouldn't see it as inevitable that he will become a primary ball handler, a good shooter, or someone who makes great decisions with the ball in his hands ala Bam. He potentially could, but I'd rather focus on what prospects have shown up until this point.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#31 » by yosemiteben » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:49 am

James Gatz wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Yeah man, I've seen the video and watched numerous of his games at USC. I don't think it's likely or fair to Okongwu as a prospect to expect for him develop in the extraordinary ways that Bam has up this point. You can compare them as similar prospects at the moment they were drafted but it doesn't make sense they would follow the same development curve.

I'm still high on him as a prospect, but we shouldn't see it as inevitable that he will become a primary ball handler, a good shooter, or someone who makes great decisions with the ball in his hands ala Bam. He potentially could, but I'd rather focus on what prospects have shown up until this point.

That's fair, my bad, obviously Bam's development trajectory is far from the norm. I just thought you were comparing them as prospects.

I do think OO's defensive awareness is a good sign that he has some high BBIQ, which is primarily what gives me hope that he can be a plus contributor as a traffic cop on offense.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#32 » by MugzZo » Fri Oct 9, 2020 4:05 am

Voted okongwu 2020.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#33 » by BigSlam » Fri Oct 9, 2020 1:50 pm

The fans have spoken - Okongwu with the win.

Next up: pick #3.
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets