ImageImageImage

Ben Simmons for the No. 1 Pick?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Would you trade the No. 1 pick, Culver, Johnson, Spellman, and Evans for Ben Simmons?

Yes, in heart beat. All NBA defender and 3rd star to pair with KAT & DLo
86%
No, giving too much and Simmons can't shoot
14%

Total votes: 66

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Ben Simmons for the No. 1 Pick? 

Post#161 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:23 am

There is zero reason to compare these two. One is an overpaid two-way role player who can consistently get you 16 pts and maybe double digit assists. The other is a league busting 27-30ppg do-anything-he-wants player from any position. Lebron hasn't even sniffed the defensive effort of Simmons during regular seasons. They are nothing alike.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#162 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:26 am

Jedzz wrote:There is zero reason to compare these two.

Thanks for the apology. Other than shooting their games are comparable.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#163 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:31 am

KGdaBom wrote:

Zero comparison whatsoever. You can't even compare their measureables.

Other than being starters for their original teams right out of the gates there is nothing to compare.

Here, found something for you. They both have 7ft Wingspans. Now you can sleep easy. Now we can compare them both to 20 other NBA players.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#164 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:45 am

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Other than being starters for their original teams right out of the gates there is nothing to compare.

Here, found something for you. They both have 7ft Wingspans. Now you can sleep easy. Now we can compare them both to 20 other NBA players.

How about assists, rebounds and scoring around the basket. Triple double players. Other than shooting Simmons could be a LeBron Clone.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#165 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:52 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Thanks for the apology. Other than shooting their games are comparable.

How about assists, rebounds and scoring around the basket. Triple double players. Other than shooting Simmons could be a LeBron Clone.

Why does scoring around the basket make him Lebron like, and not instead more like many other tall players that can only score around the basket. The reason it's not Lebron like is because Lebron isn't limited to that area, at all.

Lebron attempted something like 900 3PA in his first three seasons. Compare that to the Limited offensive skills of the player called Ben Simmons at 24 3PA in three years. Over 20% of Bron's shots are from 3pt land and that's what balances out his high propensity to finish at the net. Bron is also solid shooting from just about any distance.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#166 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:52 am

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Why does scoring around the basket make him Lebron like, and not instead more like many other tall players that can only score around the basket. The reason it's not Lebron like is because Lebron isn't limited to that area, at all.

Lebron attempted something like 900 3PA in his first three seasons. Compare that to the Limited offensive skills of the player called Ben Simmons at 24 3PA in three years. Over 20% of Bron's shots are from 3pt land and that's what balances out his high propensity to finish at the net. Bron is also solid shooting from just about any distance.

Rebounds, assists, scoring inside. They are both the same in those 3 areas. Tall yet handle the ball like PGs. IF Simmons could shoot well he would probably be the best player in the NBA, but he can't. My point is that Simmons is LeBron without the jump shot.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#167 » by Jedzz » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:23 am

Lebron just had a move at the net, just happened before half, made me think of Simmons.
Spoiler:
:lol: and then Bron shoots 6/9 from 3pt land
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#168 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:06 am

Which NBA teams says no?

Philadelphia 76ers get Chris Paul, Omari Spellman, Jacob Evans, & No. 1 Overall Draft Pick.

Philly 76ers starting lineup:
CP3, Thybulle, Harris, Horford, Embiid + Number 1 Overall Draft Pick.

Back ups - Milton, Evans, Korkas, Spellman, Pelle

Minnesota Timberwolves get Ben Simmons & 25th pick.

Timberwolves get Big 3: Karl Anthony Towns, DLo Russell, & Ben Simmons.

OKC Thunder get Josh Richardson, James Johnson, Mike Scott, 17th pick & 33rd pick.

Thunder pair Josh Richardson next to Shai. Stevan Adams, James Johnson, & Mike Scott all expiring 44 mil for 2021 superstar free agency class.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#169 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:35 am

According to The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor

The trouble is that Oklahoma City likely prefers not to take on long-term salary, so a third team could be required. The Bucks would likely face competition in any pursuit of Paul.

League sources say the Sixers front office has seriously debated the idea of chasing CP3.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#170 » by Neeva » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:59 am

Keeping Culver and the 17th and getting Simmons? yes please, even I would do that and I believe Lamelo will be just as valuable to a team as Simmons in 3-4 years.

Haters will be so wrong on melo.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#171 » by Baseline81 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:17 am

UnFadeable21,

Why would Philly want both Paul and Ball, unless you think the 76ers would draft a different prospect first overall?

Don't get me wrong, the thought of adding Simmons to the Wolves is intriguing, but I cannot envision Rivers wanting to deal Simmons, at least without seeing what he has in him first.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#172 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:24 am

Neeva wrote:Keeping Culver and the 17th and getting Simmons? yes please, even I would do that and I believe Lamelo will be just as valuable to a team as Simmons in 3-4 years.

Haters will be so wrong on melo.

Revised the trade, Wolves have to send out 17 and 33 to OKC and in return get the 25th pick back.

So Wolves send out 1, 17, 33, James Johnson, Omari Spellman, and Jacob Evans for Ben Simmons and the 25th pick.

I think that's more realistic for all 3 parties.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#173 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:28 am

Baseline81 wrote:UnFadeable21,

Why would Philly want both Paul and Ball, unless you think the 76ers would draft a different prospect first overall?

Don't get me wrong, the thought of adding Simmons to the Wolves is intriguing, but I cannot envision Rivers wanting to deal Simmons, at least without seeing what he has in him first.

A replacement for Paul in 2 seasons or they could go Anthony Edwards.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#174 » by shrink » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:55 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:

Also, Chris Paul has supposedly been an incredible mentor to SGA. OKC has been raving about him all year. After the reported locker room problems he caused in LAC and HOU, I’m skeptical, but I’ll admit, Paul really surprised me all season long. And if Paul can impart some professionalism on Embiid, he could really become an incredible player.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#175 » by Killboard » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:28 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:

Yes, get a better fit for Embiid now and get a high upside player with 9 years of control on a moderate contract. Still think they could send the 1st and Horford to OKC and clean up the financial mess they made.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#176 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Killboard wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:

Yes, get a better fit for Embiid now and get a high upside player with 9 years of control on a moderate contract. Still think they could send the 1st and Horford to OKC and clean up the financial mess they made.

Zero chance Okc take Horford’s 3 years 81 million for only a 1st. Kevin OConner says Okc doesn’t want bad money and maximum flexibility for 2021.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,359

Post#177 » by younggunsmn » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:17 pm

Until the 1st day of the new league year, Simmons is a poison pill player because he signed an extension.
Meaning his incoming salary is the average of his 2020 salary + all 5 years of his extension, or 29.3 million.
But his outgoing salary is 8.1 million.
If we wait until the new league year starts, his salary is 28.75 million for both.

This gives Philadelphia a small window to do a major salary dump of harris or horford without paying a team for cap space,
but it would have to involve at least 3 teams.

From our point of view, any trade taking in Simmons in this league year would have to involve sending out:
Johnson, Spellman, Evans plus one of Culver or (Okogie+Layman).
It become much easier if we could use the salary for #1, but that involves a lot of waiting and misses out on that philly window.

So you are looking at something like:
MN IN: Simmons
MIN OUT: 1, Johnson, Spellman, Evans, Layman Okogie

PHI IN: 1, Paul, Layman, Evans
PHI OUT: Simmons, Horford

OKC IN: Horford, Johnson, Okogie, Spellman
OKC OUT: Paul

So you have to add a lot of sweetener and/or find a team to take horford for OKC.
PHI has 21, 34,36, 46 and 58 this year along with a bunch of future 2nds
2021 knicks 2nd
2022 TOR 2nd
2023 highest of ATL, CHA, BRK
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#178 » by younggunsmn » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:23 pm

Also, I think adding Paul as a bridge to Ball would make a ton of sense for PHI and they could share the court.

On the Simmons/Lebron front, there is a big difference between being efficient at 15 PPG and 25 PPG.
If Simmons scored 25 PPG at 56% shooting you could start making comparisons like that.
3pt and FT shooting are glaring holes in his game right now that are keeping him from becoming that kind of player.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#179 » by younggunsmn » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:13 am

MN IN: Simmons, 36
MIN OUT: 1, Johnson, Spellman, Evans, Layman, Okogie

PHI IN: 1, Paul, Layman, Evans
PHI OUT: Simmons, Horford, 21, 36, 2021 NYK 2nd

OKC IN: Batum, Johnson, Okogie
OKC OUT: Paul

CHA IN: Horford, Spellman, 21, 2021 NYK 2nd
CHA OUT: Batum
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#180 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:40 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

More Chris Paul to the Sixers steam

Add in Kevin O’Connor saying the OKc Thunder don’t want long term contracts, the dream for a 3 way deal for Simmons and Paul is still alive

The Philadelphia 76ers have "seriously debated the idea of chasing" a trade for Chris Paul, league sources tell Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer.

The trouble is that Oklahoma City likely prefers not to take on long-term salary, so a third team could be required.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves