ImageImageImage

Breaking: Brett Brown Fired

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Re: Breaking: Brett Brown Fired 

Post#141 » by rzzzzz » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:50 am

So they had a pretty well thought out process on the General board ranking this seasons head coaches. Where did Brett land, some where around 20? That felt about right. I know there are a number of local experts preaching that coaching has little to no influence on the productivity of the roster they end up with. But we've seen some pretty fair coaches holding the trophies more often than not.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#142 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:45 am

still in payne wrote:For those still fighting the Brett Brown good head coach fight, isn't it interesting that teams with head coaching vacancies don't seem interested in hiring him? Even Atkinson is getting consideration. Doc had teams interested immediately.

+1000

/thread
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#143 » by VDT » Thu Oct 8, 2020 10:08 am

Young22 wrote:
VDT wrote:I doubt RIvers is a better coach than Brown. This was the first year of underachieving (plus the last year's regular season) and the roster construction was mostly to blame. He is just not a household name and he was on a hot seat since Hinkie left. Coaches like Stevens can have bad years due to the way the roster is constructed but no one thinks to fire them. The impact of a coach is, most of the times, not very big anyway. The blame is most of the times on the FO. Coaches are just the scapegoats.

So you think any coach would have taken the Heat to the finals?

With the Bucks and the Sixers being bad, one of Stevens/ Nurse/ Spoelstra would go to the finals. Beyond that, it is hard to compare the bubble playoff to previous years.

Generally, coaches that are allowed to play a more team oriented basketball will overachieve. Coaches with stars/superstars,who mostly tend to dominate the ball/ are iso players, will tend to underachieve or not given enough credit. Stevens is a good example. He mostly had his team playing above their talent level but when he got Kyrie he underachieved. Donovan in OKC overachieved when they got rid of Westbrook. Spoelstra was not seen as a good coach when Lebron was in Miami. Rivers overachieved last year with no stars. Popovic hasnt been able to do anything with Derozan and Aldridge.

That's not say that all the coaches are the same or that they generally dont influence the game, but they do it to a much smaller degree than the FO or the players and they are usually the easiest to replace. If you had given Brown players than allowed him to play a more team oriented basketball with a lot of passing he would also overachieve, instead he got an ill fitting team and after all these years he never had a half court playmaker (with the short exception of Butler in the 2019 playoffs).
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#144 » by rzzzzz » Thu Oct 8, 2020 3:43 pm

VDT wrote: instead he got an ill fitting team and after all these years he never had a half court playmaker (with the short exception of Butler in the 2019 playoffs).

so his major condition as remaining the coach is....to get rid of Butler? (or at least "control" Butler.) i'm sorry, say what you will about Brand, but he gave Brett a pretty awesome starting line-up, and it still took Jimmy to push some much needed improvement to the offense, and then pull out all those close games that Brett usually lost. remember, Jimmy grabbed the rebound and went coast to coast to score the tying field goal in game seven with just seconds left, after we went all that time without a decent field goal attempt to put that game away.
Young22
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#145 » by Young22 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 12:39 am

rzzzzz wrote:
VDT wrote: instead he got an ill fitting team and after all these years he never had a half court playmaker (with the short exception of Butler in the 2019 playoffs).

so his major condition as remaining the coach is....to get rid of Butler? (or at least "control" Butler.) i'm sorry, say what you will about Brand, but he gave Brett a pretty awesome starting line-up, and it still took Jimmy to push some much needed improvement to the offense, and then pull out all those close games that Brett usually lost. remember, Jimmy grabbed the rebound and went coast to coast to score the tying field goal in game seven with just seconds left, after we went all that time without a decent field goal attempt to put that game away.

All those plays down the stretch was for JJ, instead of giving Jimmy the ball and letting him create.

Brett was a lot worse than fans and media want to admit.
VDT
Analyst

Post#146 » by VDT » Fri Oct 9, 2020 10:12 am

rzzzzz wrote:

I doubt Brown was the reason Butler was let go and i doubt he had that kind of power anyway. The leaks are likely just trying to shift the blame away from the FO/ownership.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by rzzzzz » Fri Oct 9, 2020 5:12 pm

VDT wrote:I doubt Brown was the reason Butler was let go and i doubt he had that kind of power anyway. The leaks are likely just trying to shift the blame away from the FO/ownership.

i think i'll go by the JJ podcast with JJ and Jimmy taking up defense and prosecution respectively. and it was Jimmy who heard about the "control" concern; i'm assuming maybe even before formally accepting the Miami contract. but at the very least, you got to admit they didn't go out of there way to induce him to stay. and between the two, i think it would have done us a lot more good to keep Jimmy than Brett.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,811

Post#148 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 9, 2020 5:48 pm

I don't believe Jimmy ever wanted to be in Philly anyway. Maybe the fifth year would have made a difference, but he really just seemed to want his own team in Miami. The rest is just bull.
VDT
Analyst

Post#149 » by VDT » Fri Oct 9, 2020 6:24 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
VDT wrote:I doubt Brown was the reason Butler was let go and i doubt he had that kind of power anyway. The leaks are likely just trying to shift the blame away from the FO/ownership.

i think i'll go by the JJ podcast with JJ and Jimmy taking up defense and prosecution respectively. and it was Jimmy who heard about the "control" concern; i'm assuming maybe even before formally accepting the Miami contract. but at the very least, you got to admit they didn't go out of there way to induce him to stay. and between the two, i think it would have done us a lot more good to keep Jimmy than Brett.

That's fine but it was not Brown's responsibility to keep Butler and i seriously doubt the dilemma was Brown or Butler. If there was a dilemma, it was Simmons or Butler. The reason that the offense was not run or most of the year the way Butler wanted was Simmons. When Brown gave the ball to Butler againsnt the Raptors, Simmons was reduced to the 5th option offensively. That's on the FO to solve not on a coach that is on the hot seat anyway.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#150 » by Sixerscan » Fri Oct 9, 2020 7:26 pm

rzzzzz wrote:

Wasn't the "control" thing specifically someone in the *front office* asking Brown whether he could "control" Butler? Doesn't that indicate it wasn't just Brown that may have had issues?

Seems pretty obvious that it's blame shifting.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#151 » by rzzzzz » Fri Oct 9, 2020 7:39 pm

well that fine guys, but whatever you believe, you best hope that firing Brown and hiring Rivers is a big improvement, 'cause that's what we got. and Boston is tough, and Miami has built a serious up and comer around Jimmy. whether you got faith in him or not, Doc is not Brett, which means we got an old school coach with a fresh set of eyes looking at how best to deploy JoJo and Ben. which is still where this franchise is at after Hinkie delivered the two process unicorns. (plus, getting Harris back looking like he did with the Clippers would make everybody feel a whole lot better.)
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#152 » by Sixerscan » Fri Oct 9, 2020 7:47 pm

He probably is an upgrade maybe a big one but there's limits to what a coach can do, people blamed Brown for some things that were outside of his control and if they expect Doc to singlehandedly fix them they'll be disappointed. Rivers is a good start to the offseason but they have more work to do.
Ellington
Junior
And1: 158

Post#153 » by Ellington » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 am

Interesting development....

Brett Brown quits as Boomers head coach after losing NBA job

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/12763514
mhunt
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#154 » by mhunt » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Ellington wrote:Interesting development....

Because he doesn't want to coach Simmons again? :tooth
Ellington
Junior
And1: 158

Post#155 » by Ellington » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:03 am

mhunt wrote:
Ellington wrote:Interesting development....

Because he doesn't want to coach Simmons again? :tooth

I’d say that’s spot on

Return to Philadelphia 76ers