ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Strategy Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#421 » by NotACat » Fri Oct 9, 2020 11:15 pm

Questions, would the Mavs consider using 18 to move Dwight Powell and his contract? Detroit could offer Tony Snell and his expiring
Black Lives Matter
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#422 » by JD45 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:14 am

NotACat wrote:Questions, would the Mavs consider using 18 to move Dwight Powell and his contract? Detroit could offer Tony Snell and his expiring

Very unlikely. Powell was a valuable player before his injury. They are unlikely to have or need cap room this offseason, but will need his contribution during the season. Maybe they pay to move him next off season if they need the cap room, but at that time he might be healthy and will definitely have a shorter contract, so probably cheaper to move.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Post#423 » by HMFFL » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:16 am

Could they trade for Marcus Smart? Will the Mavs?

The Boston Celtics parting with Marcus Smart does not sound likely. Bleacher Report did mention a Smart to Dallas deal in their recent shocking trades for every team article. Let us examine his fit in Dallas and the details of the trade before attempting to decide if the Dallas Mavericks can actually pull off the move this offseason. https://thesmokingcuban.com/2020/10/08/dallas-mavericks-marcus-smart-br-trade/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#424 » by arkuo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:35 pm

I hope Donnie is looking at S&T deals instead of looking to sign 3&D players outright. Paul Milsap and Kent Bazemore would be nice S&T additions.

S&T Kleber + 31 for Milsap
S&T Wirght + 18 for Bazemore

That way you dont touch any of your 2021 cap space and you address your need for floor spacers and defenders.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 397

Post#425 » by boogiezen » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:11 am

arkuo wrote:I hope Donnie is looking at S&T deals instead of looking to sign 3&D players outright. Paul Milsap and Kent Bazemore would be nice S&T additions.

S&T Kleber + 31 for Milsap
S&T Wirght + 18 for Bazemore

That way you dont touch any of your 2021 cap space and you address your need for floor spacers and defenders.

I think Kleber is more valuable than Mislap to be honest.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,530

Post#426 » by jpengland » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:15 pm

I have hated the guy, and been against it in the past but...

Cousins on a one plus one deal? Sort of guy that Carlisle might just be able to rekindle. Get him with a nice cheap team option for the following year which gives us full flexibility with Cap space.

If he works out, great - potentially gives us some KP insurance. If he doesn't then we cut him.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#427 » by Mr B » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:32 pm

jpengland wrote:I have hated the guy, and been against it in the past but...

Cousins on a one plus one deal? Sort of guy that Carlisle might just be able to rekindle. Get him with a nice cheap team option for the following year which gives us full flexibility with Cap space.

If he works out, great - potentially gives us some KP insurance. If he doesn't then we cut him.

I’ve also warmed up to the idea of adding Cousins, as long as he’s cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arkuo
General Manager

Post#428 » by arkuo » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:45 pm

If you can get Cousins for WCS money, I think you go for it. If you get 50% from his heyday he is still better than Dwight Powell. At the very least you get a legitimate 6'11 big man who can knock Marcus Morris' front teeth out.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#429 » by JJP » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:03 am

I don't think Cousins is mobile enough anymore. He's probably no better than Boban now. Any team going small automatically puts him on the bench.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#430 » by Teffer10 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:16 pm

No interest in Cousins whatsoever.
If WCS opts in we are more than fine with our frontline.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#431 » by arkuo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:29 pm

I'd actually be okay with standing pat and saving cap space. Maybe even ask Luka and KP to take the year off like Golden State did with their team. Come back next summer, try to sign Giannis (or whoever is next best) and get the 1st pick to draft Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#432 » by Mr B » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:26 am

Don’t know if you guys follow All Things Mavs on Youtube but today they were discussing potential free agents Christian Wood, Jerami Grant, and evening Dwight Howard.

The Mavs already have a ton of 4/5’s on the team but Christian Wood sounds like he’d be a great fit and affordable.

https://youtu.be/s3Szm6iITYE

boogiezen
Senior
And1: 397

Post#433 » by boogiezen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:47 pm

arkuo wrote:I'd actually be okay with standing pat and saving cap space. Maybe even ask Luka and KP to take the year off like Golden State did with their team. Come back next summer, try to sign Giannis (or whoever is next best) and get the 1st pick to draft Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green.

Dallas cannot afford to do that though. It's not even guarantee that Giannis will pick Dallas. You're going to waste another year for both. The team needs to show that they can compete. GSW can afford to have a losing season with their core because they already won titles. Dallas doesn't have the luxury.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#434 » by JD45 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:07 pm

arkuo wrote:I'd actually be okay with standing pat and saving cap space. Maybe even ask Luka and KP to take the year off like Golden State did with their team. Come back next summer, try to sign Giannis (or whoever is next best) and get the 1st pick to draft Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green.

I think they can afford to just depend on internal improvements this year. Just being average on late game play gets them with a home court slot in the Playoffs, and that should be enough improvement.

But tanking would be dangerous. Got to get into the lottery protection of the pick NY holds just to make it pay off. And losing makes it less likely Giannis or any other top free agent signs with the Mavs. Even worse, it might make Luka think about going the free agency route himself.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#435 » by JJP » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 pm

The Mavs will not stand pat. They know they have a window of time to deal with improvements. They won't forgo using the MLE if it will improve their team, nor will they close their eyes to trades that will help.

This is not about Giannis. This about having the next two seasons to build something that resembles a championship roster. They will likely be more cautious this free agency off-season, but that doesn't mean they would turn a blind eye to taking on salary in trades. There are several ways to move forward with new players - and there's no doubt the Mavs front office will be creative to get what they want.

Tanking is ridiculous. The Mavs need playoff wins to move forward.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#436 » by JJP » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:12 am

Mr B wrote:Don’t know if you guys follow All Things Mavs on Youtube but today they were discussing potential free agents Christian Wood, Jerami Grant, and evening Dwight Howard.

The Mavs already have a ton of 4/5’s on the team but Christian Wood sounds like he’d be a great fit and affordable.

https://youtu.be/s3Szm6iITYE

The Mavs already have too much money tied up in their center position already. I like Wood a lot, but he would have to be the starting PF and be able to defend smaller wings. I don't know enough about his mobility on defense to know if he's a natural at the PF position. If the Mavs make a play for him, it's because they think he can defend wings regularly and hit perimeter shots regularly.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#437 » by HMFFL » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Standing pat shouldn't be an option.
Luka needs more talent and management and Cuban must act. How can anyone be a fan and think standing pat is acceptable? The Western Conference is a joke, Houston looks like they have a foot out the door, the Clippers have chemistry/mental issues/drama, and the Lakers are the only true contender, unless Denver does something this off-season.

Fans of other team view us as a one tricky pony show with Luka and realize we need to put talent around. The same fans aren't as confident in KP being healthy as some of us are.

Players like Denver's Grant will be linked to a lot of teams, because teams are interested, but they know they can use him in futures trades. Like us, many of the teams will pursue The Freak during the season, or after next season, and teams must have assets to acquire him.

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#438 » by dirkforpres » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:52 pm

HMFFL wrote:Standing pat shouldn't be an option.
Luka needs more talent and management and Cuban must act. How can anyone be a fan and think standing pat is acceptable? The Western Conference is a joke, Houston looks like they have a foot out the door, the Clippers have chemistry/mental issues/drama, and the Lakers are the only true contender, unless Denver does something this off-season.

Fans of other team view us as a one tricky pony show with Luka and realize we need to put talent around. The same fans aren't as confident in KP being healthy as some of us are.

Players like Denver's Grant will be linked to a lot of teams, because teams are interested, but they know they can use him in futures trades. Like us, many of the teams will pursue The Freak during the season, or after next season, and teams must have assets to acquire him.

100% correct. Standing pat when you have a true superstar on your team is beyond absurd. Mavs have assets to trade if need be and the MLE to sign another good player. Getting Grant or Gallinari or some other starter possibly along with flipping picks and Wright for another player should be the main focus of the front office for now.
FIRE JASON KIDD
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#439 » by HMFFL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:12 am

Danny Green will make $15,365,853 and is expiring so I would be more open to adding him now. That wasn't the case when we damn near signed him before he ended up signing with the Lakers.

https://heavy.com/sports/los-angeles-lakers/danny-green-trade-mavericks/amp/

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#440 » by HMFFL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:04 am

I'd like for us to pursue Justin Holiday in free agency. He played for Indiana this season. He managed to get his 3-point % up just above 40%.
He has been a journeyman and at 30 yrs old I would think he would hope for a 2-3yr deal with a team.

Return to Dallas Mavericks