Image ImageImage Image

Lauri:' I can make the comeback'

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Lauri extension?

Don't want to see one happen - let him show me more first
33%
4 years/$40M-$50M
18%
4 year/$50M-$65M
23%
4 years/$65M-$80M
18%
4 years/$80M+
5%
Other (explain)
3%

Total votes: 122

FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#181 » by FranchisePlayer » Fri Oct 9, 2020 6:46 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
Jiipee84 wrote:Excuse me what.
Did you really say WJC is a GOAT.
Get the hell out of here with that nonsense.

Shaq O'Neal was and is still a GOAT but guess what WJC isn't and never won't be next Shaq O'Neal.
PS thanks for good laughs.

He said he went #7 in a GOAT draft. Nothing he said resembles mentioning WCJ(not WJC BTW)being a GOAT.

Were you just trying to find an argument for no reason?

He's from Finland, maybe some reading comprehension issues. But why to be rude in here, it begs a question...
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#182 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:41 am

FranchisePlayer wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
Jiipee84 wrote:Excuse me what.
Did you really say WJC is a GOAT.
Get the hell out of here with that nonsense.

Shaq O'Neal was and is still a GOAT but guess what WJC isn't and never won't be next Shaq O'Neal.
PS thanks for good laughs.

He said he went #7 in a GOAT draft. Nothing he said resembles mentioning WCJ(not WJC BTW)being a GOAT.

He's from Finland, maybe some reading comprehension issues. But why to be rude in here, it begs a question...

No. That's not a reading comprehension issue, that's a "I saw what I wanted to see" issue.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#183 » by FranchisePlayer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:26 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:

No. That's not a reading comprehension issue, that's a "I saw what I wanted to see" issue.

You sound pretty aggressive too, I might add...
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,694

Post#184 » by SfBull » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:00 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

He said we got WCJ in a GOAT draft as I understood.And WCJ's ceiling is a good role player,I might add .And it doesn't matter as we hadn't been able to make a deal that could get Luka.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#185 » by FranchisePlayer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:19 pm

SfBull wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:

He said we got WCJ in a GOAT draft as I understood.And WCJ's ceiling is a good role player,I might add .And it doesn't matter as we hadn't been able to make a deal that could get Luka.

Lol, I think I'll excuse myself from this WCJ GOAT whatever discussion. Kind of off-topic in all.

12/2/2022
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#186 » by GrowingHorns » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:49 am

LAURI has een named tentatively on the list of 25 possible players on Euro Championship Qualifiers games, that would be taking place on November 28th and November 30th. The games would be held in a bubble, in Finland, and would be against Georgia and Serbia.

As much i'd like to see him with us, its his contract year ahead so i hope he don't join the team if bulls would allow it. There would be pros in seeing old buddies and getting competitive games, but even as a Finn I feel like no for this. Sabonis and Valanciunas will be playing for Lithuania in their games, just as a side note...
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#187 » by sco » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:41 pm

GrowingHorns wrote:LAURI has een named tentatively on the list of 25 possible players on Euro Championship Qualifiers games, that would be taking place on November 28th and November 30th. The games would be held in a bubble, in Finland, and would be against Georgia and Serbia.

As much i'd like to see him with us, its his contract year ahead so i hope he don't join the team if bulls would allow it. There would be pros in seeing old buddies and getting competitive games, but even as a Finn I feel like no for this. Sabonis and Valanciunas will be playing for Lithuania in their games, just as a side note...

I am normally against guys playing on non-Bulls teams in offseason. But my reasoning is usually tied to fatigue after long season, which isn't the case this year; however, the injury risk remains. It seems like the past 2 seasons Lauri has come into the season with injury-related issues and it would be a shame if it happened again.
:clap:
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#188 » by GrowingHorns » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:20 pm

sco wrote:
GrowingHorns wrote:LAURI has een named tentatively on the list of 25 possible players on Euro Championship Qualifiers games, that would be taking place on November 28th and November 30th. The games would be held in a bubble, in Finland, and would be against Georgia and Serbia.

I am normally against guys playing on non-Bulls teams in offseason. But my reasoning is usually tied to fatigue after long season, which isn't the case this year; however, the injury risk remains. It seems like the past 2 seasons Lauri has come into the season with injury-related issues and it would be a shame if it happened again.

Good point, and as well like someone mentioned in a Finnish forum, it would also give him a chance to kick-start himself, as there might not be the normal pre-season games with the NBA. If this was more normal year overall and these were happening in the early fall, a little before the pre-season starts, then it was more risky.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#189 » by khufure » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:17 pm

Everyone that makes it to the NBA has exceptional talent. So what separates the all-stars from the nots? What has Lauri improved since coming into the league? Compare this work ethic to LaVine's now you know who to keep. If I"m the GM I don't trade the guy getting better every year. I hope I'm wrong about Lauri because I really would like to be but I just don't see any improvement.
Bullstuff
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#190 » by Bullstuff » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:25 pm

khufure wrote:Compare this work ethic to LaVine's now you know who to keep.

I'll bite: Who and why has the better work ethic? If there is something wrong with EITHER (or any) players work ethic, I'd get rid of that player. I doubt that is the case though, what comes to LaVine or LM.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#191 » by FranchisePlayer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:33 pm

GrowingHorns wrote:As much i'd like to see him with us, its his contract year ahead so i hope he don't join the team if bulls would allow it. There would be pros in seeing old buddies and getting competitive games, but even as a Finn I feel like no for this. Sabonis and Valanciunas will be playing for Lithuania in their games, just as a side note...

Um so if Valanciunas and Sabonis can play for Lithuania, why couldn't Lauri for Finland? Injury risk? Probably not much bigger than him training in Chicago.

I think that would be great for him. Playing two games as the team's #1 option and the play would be more than just chucking 3's without any ball movement in offense.

12/2/2022
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#192 » by dougthonus » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:42 pm

sco wrote:

If the current NBA timetable holds, and given it adds 500M to the revenue which benefits everyone, that seems reasonable, then that might actually be training camp time for the Bulls. They're hoping for mid December start to the season, though I assumed that's opening tip off, maybe that must means start of camp.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#193 » by Dieselbound&Down » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:04 pm

GrowingHorns wrote:
sco wrote:

Good point, and as well like someone mentioned in a Finnish forum, it would also give him a chance to kick-start himself, as there might not be the normal pre-season games with the NBA. If this was more normal year overall and these were happening in the early fall, a little before the pre-season starts, then it was more risky.

He should play. Build his confidence and get some run before the season starts. It's worth the injury risk which is small and it shouldn't cause fatigue issues if Lauri is in shape.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#194 » by khufure » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:19 pm

Bullstuff wrote:
khufure wrote:Compare this work ethic to LaVine's now you know who to keep.

I'll bite: Who and why has the better work ethic? If there is something wrong with EITHER (or any) players work ethic, I'd get rid of that player. I doubt that is the case though, what comes to LaVine or LM.

You erased the portions explaining this. Will try to explain in more detail this time. In professional players you can tell who works at their job by who gets better year over year. Some players improve marginally, some players don't improve at all, while others get notably better every year. Zach Lavine is in the "notably better every year" category.

Lauri Markkanen had a good 1 => 2 improvement, but a setback 2 => 3. The jury is still out but that is a very bad sign. Typically year 2 => 3 is a key indicator year. Year 1 => 2 basically everyone improves at least a little. Maybe LM suffered a training setback, a one year aberration, personal issues, coaching demotiviation, all of these things, whatever. I hope that. But in my mind Lauri's de-valued himself compared to the hype going into his 3rd year. He needs to show he's not coasting.

IMO another player of interest is Wendell Carter. This is a guy with a lot of talent. He's in the critical 3rd year. I'm hoping to see range improvement and confidence in offensive skills. Not sure about defensive improvement given its 2020 and it was probably hard to find others to train against.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#195 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:05 pm

Bulls are in a tough spot with Lauri. He will want to get paid after this season but he hasn’t been consistent enough to warrant a big payday.
sco
RealGM

Post#196 » by sco » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:31 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Bulls are in a tough spot with Lauri. He will want to get paid after this season but he hasn’t been consistent enough to warrant a big payday.

Are they? IDK, in the new world of MAX/MLE/MIN, teams are focused on these buckets. If he wants to be offered more than MLE $, he's gotta play to earn it. If he does, win/win for us and I'd be thrilled to keep him.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#197 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:38 pm

sco wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Bulls are in a tough spot with Lauri. He will want to get paid after this season but he hasn’t been consistent enough to warrant a big payday.

Are they? IDK, in the new world of MAX/MLE/MIN, teams are focused on these buckets. If he wants to be offered more than MLE $, he's gotta play to earn it. If he does, win/win for us and I'd be thrilled to keep him.

Timberwolves were in a similar situation with another stretch big like Lauri. Dario Saric, he had one year remaining on his contract so instead of waiting, Wolves packaged him with the 11th pick and moved up the 5th pick last year.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#198 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 pm

Congrats for Lauri for another child!

I wonder, I just wonder what having his second child will do for Lauri. As a father myself I know it's a blessing but the nights, continuosly, with max. 4 hours of sleep are still fresh in my memory... For the sake of his basketball career, I hope they understand to hire a baby nurse soon, as in yesterday.

12/2/2022
Magic beans
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#199 » by Magic beans » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:07 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:Lauri situation scares the hell out of me. Its a good chance he can bounce back especially with a good coach that involves him more in the offense. Issue is it's a contract year and I fear him having a big year getting offered a ton of dough from some other team we forced to match then he goes back to his lethargic play and poor conditioning.

It's why I still feel the best move is to move him in this years draft for an asset. I fear he will be a contract we regret. Not to mention by moving on from him we can position ourselves to the 2 max plan for next off season.

Yea boylen ruined him last season but he had time under hoiberg as well and I've seen enough from him to know he is not worth the long term investment. It would be a contract we would soon regret and end up trading anyway

Absolutely agree with this post. I’m categorically against any long term investment in this player. Would move him in a heartbeat for assets, I see his ceiling as an average NBA role player.
sco
RealGM

Post#200 » by sco » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:15 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:Congrats for Lauri for another child!

I wonder, I just wonder what having his second child will do for Lauri. As a father myself I know it's a blessing but the nights, continuosly, with max. 4 hours of sleep are still fresh in my memory... For the sake of his basketball career, I hope they understand to hire a baby nurse soon, as in yesterday.

Great for him, prob not so much for Bulls. Kudos on baby nurse (followed by 2 live-in nannies I hope) - otherwise, dude's gonna be flat out trash this year!

Return to Chicago Bulls