ImageImage

OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,773

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1881 » by Stannis » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:30 pm

I'm stacking up on some Hyllion HYLN (formerly SHLL). After the ticker change, it is down 11% around $39. It's high was almost 60.

Once the CEO gets on CNBC and an actual truck is showcased, I think this will go really high.

I know there is no such thing as a sure thing. But this feel like a sure thing to me lol. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I really like what this company and CEO are offering. Night and day difference between them and Nikola.
Free Palestine
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,217

Post#1882 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:35 pm

I haven't done well recently with stock picking but I still enjoy doing the analysis. As long as you aren't risking life changing $$$ it's fun.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#1883 » by M-C-G » Fri Oct 2, 2020 10:44 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I haven't done well recently with stock picking but I still enjoy doing the analysis. As long as you aren't risking life changing $$$ it's fun.

Yeah, my run with crypto and weed stocks has been a wild ride. The good thing, as of right now, is that I knew those were long term investments, otherwise I'd be pissing myself. So I baked in time for them to recover/grow, but definitely wouldn't have minded cashing out of some of them when they peaked, but that's the game we play
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#1884 » by soxperry » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:11 am

Stannis wrote:I'm stacking up on some Hyllion HYLN (formerly SHLL). After the ticker change, it is down 11% around $39. It's high was almost 60.

Once the CEO gets on CNBC and an actual truck is showcased, I think this will go really high.

I know there is no such thing as a sure thing. But this feel like a sure thing to me lol. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I really like what this company and CEO are offering. Night and day difference between them and Nikola.

i missed the boat on SHLL early on. when it dipped from 53 to 41 i got in, made a good chunk, and it's been a horror show ever since. i should have never told my wife what was going on. she wants me to pull out now.

i think my dream scenario is this recovers for a small but respectable gain next week, XL Fleet ($PIC) is still in the 11 range, and i transfer everything there hoping they get some kind of pop in the next few months.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1885 » by Stannis » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:35 am

soxperry wrote:
Stannis wrote:I'm stacking up on some Hyllion HYLN (formerly SHLL). After the ticker change, it is down 11% around $39. It's high was almost 60.

i missed the boat on SHLL early on. when it dipped from 53 to 41 i got in, made a good chunk, and it's been a horror show ever since. i should have never told my wife what was going on. she wants me to pull out now.

i think my dream scenario is this recovers for a small but respectable gain next week, XL Fleet ($PIC) is still in the 11 range, and i transfer everything there hoping they get some kind of pop in the next few months.

I sold SHLL around 55. And just bought back into HYLN now around 40.

I think HYLN will be what Nikola was supposed to be. They just need to do more and better marketing.

I mean Nikola almost hit 90 with a con-man at the helm and no product...
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1886 » by Stannis » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:42 pm

Opinions on FCEL now?

It plummeted again because they lost some pretty big contracts
Free Palestine
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#1887 » by BucksFanSD » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:56 pm

Stannis wrote:Opinions on FCEL now?

It plummeted again because they lost some pretty big contracts

Seems a bit of a risky play although I can see the upside if they get funds.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#1888 » by soxperry » Wed Oct 7, 2020 11:23 pm

Stannis wrote:
soxperry wrote:

I sold SHLL around 55. And just bought back into HYLN now around 40.

I think HYLN will be what Nikola was supposed to be. They just need to do more and better marketing.

I mean Nikola almost hit 90 with a con-man at the helm and no product...

yeah.. i think that's what many of us were hoping for. please tell me you were smarter than i was and cut your losses early on? i watched it like a hawk every day for three days, waiting for that afternoon upswing to take us to the moon but it would only cut the losses in half.. finally gave up and sold at 33 for a pretty decent loss. i got got. going to stick to safer bets until i know more about investing, that was god damn ridiculous.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1889 » by Stannis » Thu Oct 8, 2020 1:15 pm

soxperry wrote:yeah.. i think that's what many of us were hoping for. please tell me you were smarter than i was and cut your losses early on? i watched it like a hawk every day for three days, waiting for that afternoon upswing to take us to the moon but it would only cut the losses in half.. finally gave up and sold at 33 for a pretty decent loss. i got got. going to stick to safer bets until i know more about investing, that was god damn ridiculous.

Yea, bad call. Hope nobody listened to me lol.

It was still a speculative investment where I only trade what I was comfortable losing.

It's kind of a wash for me since I initially bought in around 20 and sold around 50.
Free Palestine
GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,820

Post#1890 » by GiannisAnte34 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 am

Bucks +350 to win the East 2021 and +900 to win the Championship 2021

either of these look attractive to you guys?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,217

Post#1891 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:43 am

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#1892 » by hege53190 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:32 pm

hege53190 wrote:
Superfito wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:Financials are going to get crushed as defaults skyrocket. There isnt a prognostication out there that doesn't believe loan defaults aren't going to be an issue in coming years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

I'm no pro but I wouldn't touch any company that's reliant on commercial real estate over the next few years.

I don't know I am more prone to buying companies that are at a deep discount. Both of these stocks have your guys opinions built into them. Discover financial and Synchrony Financial were $80 and $40 before the pandemic. I bought Discover at $30 and now it is hovering around $50. I bought into Synchrony at $15 and now it is hovering around $23.

Before the pandemic STOR was hovering around $40. They dropped to $15. I bought in at $20 a little while ago and it is now at $23.5. IT pays a 1.5% quarterly dividend which it just signed off on and distributed. The dividend has increased by 6% year over year since its inception 6 years ago. They own the store fronts in big cities which they lease to companies. The leases are long term and if a company goes under they still own the valuable real estate which they can lease to another company. It is kind of like getting rich off selling the equipment to gold miners instead of being the gold miner.

These biases that the general public have are really built into the price but if you actually look at the company it has really solid financial footing and kind of a money maker.

Also I am not saying anybody should be taking large positions (3+% of portfolio) in any of these companies. However I think you should have some of your portfolio in discounted stocks. Because if you buy at the right time you can make quite a bit of money on them. I expect STOR to get to around $35 again in the next couple of years. I think Discover and Synchrony have a little run in them yet and plan to hold them for the year.

I also like BMO Harris as a Buy and a long term hold in the financial sector.

Just an update. I mentioned 4 stocks.

STOR is up 15% since July 31st. And just paid a 1.5% dividend based on July 31 price.

DFS is up 30% since July 31st and has paid a dividend in that time.

SYF is up 30% since July 31st and has paid a dividend.

BMO Harris is up 10% since July 31st and has paid a 1.5% dividend.

I wouldn't come back to this but I was knocked by two people for my picks a little. First time I saw this in the thread. Average of 20% in 3 months on 4 stock picks is pretty decent I would say. I still think all 4 have a good run in them yet and plan on holding them for a while.

My current buy is CVS pharmacy. Revenue is up 70% over the last 5 years. Net income is up 30%. Yet stock is down 40%. Solid year over year growth. 3% Dividend. 9.43 price to earnings. It is sitting around $60 right now. I think it could be at $100 in a couple of years while collecting a nice dividend in the process.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#1893 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:08 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I haven't done well recently with stock picking but I still enjoy doing the analysis. As long as you aren't risking life changing $$$ it's fun.

Agreed. I just took like 2K that was sitting in savings earning minimal interest and put in stock market. I own mostly in Coca-Cola & McDonald's so probably a little more stable but its been fun. I have some WWE as well but think over time once live events bounce back that it will maybe go up.

Bit I've enjoyed looking at different companies, buying/selling, etc. I've come out ahead on some, others not so much. One I should've hung with longer was Plug Power. I bought it around 2.50/stock , sold at 4.15 but it was up around 14.00 last I looked. But gonna have that. Overall im +9% since starting 2 years ago. I'm not sure if I should sell before election but think with my portfolio it should be mostly stable.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Post#1894 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:

Agreed. I just took like 2K that was sitting in savings earning minimal interest and put in stock market. I own mostly in Coca-Cola & McDonald's so probably a little more stable but its been fun. I have some WWE as well but think over time once live events bounce back that it will maybe go up.

Bit I've enjoyed looking at different companies, buying/selling, etc. I've come out ahead on some, others not so much. One I should've hung with longer was Plug Power. I bought it around 2.50/stock , sold at 4.15 but it was up around 14.00 last I looked. But gonna have that. Overall im +9% since starting 2 years ago. I'm not sure if I should sell before election but think with my portfolio it should be mostly stable.

How is mcdonalds doing for you? I was driving buy to grab a diet coke and there was a huge line at 2:30 in the afternoon, drove a bit since I would be passing another one. Same thing when there was a line of cars, this time around 3. Feel people are too lazy to cook at home and restaurants are closing, so people have to eat somewhere?
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#1895 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:33 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:

How is mcdonalds doing for you? I was driving buy to grab a diet coke and there was a huge line at 2:30 in the afternoon, drove a bit since I would be passing another one. Same thing when there was a line of cars, this time around 3. Feel people are too lazy to cook at home and restaurants are closing, so people have to eat somewhere?

I'm +13.3% as of today on McDonald's. I snagged some last April when it was below $200. Yeah I feel like any time I go to McDonald's these days they are packed. The shift has been to cheaper eats and drive-thru.

Coca-Cola has been good for me too and think it has room to grow once stadiums, restaurants, etc re-open. It was around $60/stock before COVID and I got a chunk for around $40-45 last spring.

WWE is the only one I currently own that has had a negative return so far.

I lost a little on Good Year, I was just getting impatient with it dropping and not showing much. That's where I'm going to have to watch myself, need to be patient probably.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,936

Post#1896 » by BUCKnation » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:39 am

Apple, AMD and Peloton have been fun to own over the last few months
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#1897 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:23 pm

Stannis wrote:
Revived wrote:Keep an eye on DPHC. Feels like that’s the next EV play.

Already up 18%. I was waiting for a dip for like 4 days but it kept going up 10%. Winners keep winning lol

I'm guessing it will start to drop once it hits $50 like SHLL.

Think DPHC peaked? Considering this one.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1898 » by Stannis » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Revived wrote:Keep an eye on DPHC. Feels like that’s the next EV play.

Already up 18%. I was waiting for a dip for like 4 days but it kept going up 10%. Winners keep winning lol

No idea tbh
Free Palestine
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,406

Post#1899 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:30 pm

You guys can just give me money to make hit movies. Invest in me, please.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#1900 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Stannis wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:
Stannis wrote:Already up 18%. I was waiting for a dip for like 4 days but it kept going up 10%. Winners keep winning lol

No idea tbh

Dropped about 13% for me in 24 hours haha. Long term buy, we'll see. I didnt buy a ton of it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks