ImageImageImageImageImage

New York Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: New York Yankees Thread 

Post#1261 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:28 pm

Papi_swav wrote:We only scored 1 run yesterday but we lost this series because of pitching. We scored more than enough runs in each game to win but we gave up too much runs and let guys on base too much.

Great pitching wins the World Series all the time. We need a #2 starter point blank period. Tanaka best days are behind him. Paxton and Happ is gone. I don't think we should trust German and Sevy in that role right now, go out and get Bauer, that simple. We have Sevy, German, Deivi, Monty and guys that can fill in the rest of the spots.

Also get another top notch reliever. Khanle will be back and Ottavino should bounce back in a long season, we still have Britton and shaky Chapman. Get a top reliever or 2. This is what will take us to the WS, we already have a decent offense that will get us some runs most games.

We're pretty much stuck with Hicks and Stanton , even though they did their job in the post season so I'm not mad. We need to resign DJ , he's pretty much our only legit all around hitter that averages over .300 every year. Sign some good utility guys that makes contact . Trade Sanchez for the best package, even though his stock is probably at an all time low, he's still one of the better young catchers in the game.

Not much else we can really do, our core and team is pretty much set. Fire Boone.

Severino maybe is back later in the season next season if we are lucky. That TJ recovery is long. I don't think you can really factor him into the plans for this upcoming season. Montgomery just finally came back this season.

RE: Boone, as long as Cashman is here I don't expect them to make a change from Boone. He was by design brought in because he allows the team to be managed by the front office.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,083

Post#1262 » by moocow007 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Well apparently the talk is that it wasn't Boones decision to go with the opener in game 2. They are saying that that edict came from Cashman and his analytics team.

To which, let's talk about the analytics and the related revamped components of the hitting, pitching and medical staffs.

Did any of that actually help this team from the year before? Didn't seem like it helped one bit. Still relied on homers too much. Still pitched poorly...other than the one guy that didn't need any help. Still plastered with injuries.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,452

Post#1263 » by damedash09 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:40 pm

Yeah boone just listens to the higher ups in the org like cash. He is a puppet manager which is why he won't be fired unless cashman Is let go. Cashman will now hope h3 can go get bauer
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,925

Post#1264 » by knicks94 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Boone is like a celebrity who can't make independent decisions without his handlers.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#1265 » by Papi_swav » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:31 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:We only scored 1 run yesterday but we lost this series because of pitching. We scored more than enough runs in each game to win but we gave up too much runs and let guys on base too much.

Great pitching wins the World Series all the time. We need a #2 starter point blank period. Tanaka best days are behind him. Paxton and Happ is gone. I don't think we should trust German and Sevy in that role right now, go out and get Bauer, that simple. We have Sevy, German, Deivi, Monty and guys that can fill in the rest of the spots.

Also get another top notch reliever. Khanle will be back and Ottavino should bounce back in a long season, we still have Britton and shaky Chapman. Get a top reliever or 2. This is what will take us to the WS, we already have a decent offense that will get us some runs most games.

We're pretty much stuck with Hicks and Stanton , even though they did their job in the post season so I'm not mad. We need to resign DJ , he's pretty much our only legit all around hitter that averages over .300 every year. Sign some good utility guys that makes contact . Trade Sanchez for the best package, even though his stock is probably at an all time low, he's still one of the better young catchers in the game.

Not much else we can really do, our core and team is pretty much set. Fire Boone.

Severino maybe is back later in the season next season if we are lucky. That TJ recovery is long. I don't think you can really factor him into the plans for this upcoming season. Montgomery just finally came back this season.

RE: Boone, as long as Cashman is here I don't expect them to make a change from Boone. He was by design brought in because he allows the team to be managed by the front office.

Ok then I guess we can get a cheap stop gap 5th/6th starter until Sevy returns. But we definitely need a #2 to go with Cole.

After Cole this rotation is shaky and has question marks everywhere. We still don't know how good Deivi will be, i think Monty proved he can be at least a #4 starter and we still got King and others that can fight for the 5th spot. We also have German still who can be a #3 in my opinion. We need that top notch #2 guy. We was hoping Tanaka was that guy but he looks like he's declining, even though he's still good he's not a #2.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,083

Post#1266 » by moocow007 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:55 pm

I would do the following (some obvious and some drastic):

1. Trade Sanchez - hes still young, hes still a power hitter, a change of scenery to a less pressure packed team may help turn things around. Maybe a trade to a team like the Reds. With the DH becoming a permanent part of the NL in 2022 it will help Sanchez value. Get some prospects back for him to restock the minors. To a team that still believes in Sanchez you could get a premium return still.

2. Resign LeMahieu - this should be a no brainer IMHO. Hes been the one constant on this team the last 2 seasons. The guy keeping this team going. He is about as close to the embodiment of a Yankee as you can get with the current crew. I get that the concern is that Torres may be best suited for 2B but honestly their most valuable player is DJL and while hes not a spring chicken hes not old either at 30.

3. Sign Trevor Bauer - with Tanaka, Paxton and Happs contracts all coming off the books there is money to spend on a guy like Bauer. The fact with revenues tanking and teams unlikely to go nuts contract wise in free agency this is the perfect opportunity to sign Bauer. What would also help is if Bauer keeps to his word and signs only a 1 year deal. It prevents the Yankees from being locked into him but does give them a buffer till Severino can return to full strength. Even if Bauer does want a long term deal, they have the resources to absorb him.

4. Let Paxton go - I would not pick up his QO. You don't want to risk him taking it. Paxton has been an inconsistent injury prone disappointment. He just doesn't seem cut for pitching here and his unevenness is palpable and disruptive. Stability and reliability is what they need on the backend of the rotation and Paxton just isn't the guy as he's a front end stuff guy that you never know what you'll be getting.

5. Let Tanaka go - the late season swoon and the awful playoffs may finally be the flag that says its time to move on fir both Yankees and Tanaka himself. If they add Bauer and assume that Severino will be back at some point the need for a front end is type guy is not necessary. A lot cheaper more stable options available at no.4 and no.5 in the rotation.

6. Let Gardner go - I get the energy and the fight but Gardner is mostly invisible at this point of his career. Mike Tauchman should be able to handle the 4th OF spot as they hand LF to Frazier full time. The money saved from not resigning Gardner can be better used elsewhere.

7. Trade Torres - back to the Cubs in a deal that nets the Yankees Javier Baez and Wilson Contreras. Baez has one year left before he hits free agency and there's talk the Cubs may be looking to reset and save money. Torres is under control for at least 4 more years. That should be more than enough value for the Cubs to include both Baez and Contreras in the deal. Baez may not be as offensively skilled as Torres (its close though) but is one of the best defensive SS in the game. Contreras has turned into one of the best catchers in the game on the defensive end in terms of pitch framing and runs saved and has a good deal of pop for a C. Baez is a fiery competitor and paired with DJL for the next many years would give the Yankees potentially the best middle infield tandem in the game. Contreras (only 28) would replace Sanchez. Baez will need to be resigned after next season but at just 27 hes just heading into his prime and with Lindor hitting free agency at the same time should not take a boatload to resign like Lindor. Both fits the Yankees current window.

8. Sign Tajuan Walker - Walker always had the stuff but hasn't been able to completely put it together for a myriad of reasons. Hes coming off a covid shortened season where it seems like things are finally lining up for him. Hes only just 28 and could be that find that makes hima great value signing.

For the upcoming season the Yankees would not be picking up any additional salary if all of the above moves are made. They get better defensively and on the mound...and in a significantly better position to challenge for a title.

Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Post#1267 » by Phish Tank » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:50 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Spoiler:
I would do the following (some obvious and some drastic):

1. Trade Sanchez - hes still young, hes still a power hitter, a change of scenery to a less pressure packed team may help turn things around. Maybe a trade to a team like the Reds. With the DH becoming a permanent part of the NL in 2022 it will help Sanchez value. Get some prospects back for him to restock the minors. To a team that still believes in Sanchez you could get a premium return still.

2. Resign LeMahieu - this should be a no brainer IMHO. Hes been the one constant on this team the last 2 seasons. The guy keeping this team going. He is about as close to the embodiment of a Yankee as you can get with the current crew. I get that the concern is that Torres may be best suited for 2B but honestly their most valuable player is DJL and while hes not a spring chicken hes not old either at 30.

3. Sign Trevor Bauer - with Tanaka, Paxton and Happs contracts all coming off the books there is money to spend on a guy like Bauer. The fact with revenues tanking and teams unlikely to go nuts contract wise in free agency this is the perfect opportunity to sign Bauer. What would also help is if Bauer keeps to his word and signs only a 1 year deal. It prevents the Yankees from being locked into him but does give them a buffer till Severino can return to full strength. Even if Bauer does want a long term deal, they have the resources to absorb him.

4. Let Paxton go - I would not pick up his QO. You don't want to risk him taking it. Paxton has been an inconsistent injury prone disappointment. He just doesn't seem cut for pitching here and his unevenness is palpable and disruptive. Stability and reliability is what they need on the backend of the rotation and Paxton just isn't the guy as he's a front end stuff guy that you never know what you'll be getting.

5. Let Tanaka go - the late season swoon and the awful playoffs may finally be the flag that says its time to move on fir both Yankees and Tanaka himself. If they add Bauer and assume that Severino will be back at some point the need for a front end is type guy is not necessary. A lot cheaper more stable options available at no.4 and no.5 in the rotation.

6. Let Gardner go - I get the energy and the fight but Gardner is mostly invisible at this point of his career. Mike Tauchman should be able to handle the 4th OF spot as they hand LF to Frazier full time. The money saved from not resigning Gardner can be better used elsewhere.

7. Trade Torres - back to the Cubs in a deal that nets the Yankees Javier Baez and Wilson Contreras. Baez has one year left before he hits free agency and there's talk the Cubs may be looking to reset and save money. Torres is under control for at least 4 more years. That should be more than enough value for the Cubs to include both Baez and Contreras in the deal. Baez may not be as offensively skilled as Torres (its close though) but is one of the best defensive SS in the game. Contreras has turned into one of the best catchers in the game on the defensive end in terms of pitch framing and runs saved and has a good deal of pop for a C. Baez is a fiery competitor and paired with DJL for the next many years would give the Yankees potentially the best middle infield tandem in the game. Contreras (only 28) would replace Sanchez. Baez will need to be resigned after next season but at just 27 hes just heading into his prime and with Lindor hitting free agency at the same time should not take a boatload to resign like Lindor. Both fits the Yankees current window.

8. Sign Tajuan Walker - Walker always had the stuff but hasn't been able to completely put it together for a myriad of reasons. Hes coming off a covid shortened season where it seems like things are finally lining up for him. Hes only just 28 and could be that find that makes hima great value signing.

For the upcoming season the Yankees would not be picking up any additional salary if all of the above moves are made. They get better defensively and on the mound...and in a significantly better position to challenge for a title.

Putting it in spoiler due to length of post:

1) I'm all for trading Gary. I don't know who though, but it'll have to be a player in a similar situation and whether we can unlock something out of the player. I'm thinking something in the lines of a John Ryan Murphy/Aaron Hicks style deal

2-5): I'm all for these, though I may consider Tanaka at a reduced cost.

6) I kinda hope Gardy retires, but he probably won't. However, I also like Gardy and think he'll be a valuable guy on the roster from an intangible perspective. I don't want him playing LF full-time anymore, but I'm also hesitant letting him go too.

7) So if we're keeping DJLM and we're keeping Voit, I'm interested in shopping Torres. However, I'm a bit leery on trading for Contreras/Baez, even though Baez is a superb defender. I want to see if we can get an equally young stud on another squad, maybe a pitcher. I also want a lefty, which I'll allude to below. I need to ponder on some people as I haven't done my full research on alternates. However, I also like Torres at 2nd.

I have some other plans:

1) Trade Stanton?: Try to dangle him. See what the Yanks can get. This could result in moving DJLM to 1B, Torres to 2nd, Voit to DH, and....

2) Sign Didi. I think the Yanks missed Didi this season.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,945

Post#1268 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:52 pm

I’d try to bring back Tanaka on a cheap deal. This past season really messed with his routine and I think he’s got the vet stuff and balls to survive...watching Happ fumble away another offseason, I got real appreciation for that.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#1269 » by Papi_swav » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:04 pm

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Ellsberry contract come off the books now ? or is it next year?
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#1270 » by GEOLINK » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:54 am

moocow007 wrote:Well apparently the talk is that it wasn't Boones decision to go with the opener in game 2. They are saying that that edict came from Cashman and his analytics team.

To which, let's talk about the analytics and the related revamped components of the hitting, pitching and medical staffs.

Did any of that actually help this team from the year before? Didn't seem like it helped one bit. Still relied on homers too much. Still pitched poorly...other than the one guy that didn't need any help. Still plastered with injuries.

Anyone who’s been in the know already knows Boone makes little to no decisions on the field. He follows a script given to him by Cashman and his analytic geeks in a computer room before every game. Boone is basically a puppet for the front office to make it sound nice to the media & fans.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#1271 » by bishnykfan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:29 am

Yanks still owe Ellsbury $5M next year but its $16M in savings from this year on that contract. They also finished paying ARod this year. His final $5M deferred payment was for 2020. The Yankees will save $52.5M in contracts just from Tanaka, Paxton and Happ becoming UFA. But they also have a bunch of players who are arbitration eligible which will eat up a big portion of that. German and Montgomery in the rotation. Torres, Urshela, Voit, Sanchez, Frazier and Judge are all arbitration eligible and due for a raise. Green, Kahnle, Cessa and Holder in the bullpen are as well. Stanton will get a $3M raise.

Saying that, with the $73.5M coming off of the books from Ellsbury, ARod, Tanaka, Paxton and Happ the Yankees should be about $50M below their payroll from this year. That doesn't even include the $10M team option on Gardner which I think the Yankees will pick up.

They should clearly have the ability to make a big splash on the FA market if they want to. I don't love Bauer as much as others seem to here. He's only had two real good years in the big leagues (2018/2020) and one of them came in the pretty awful NL Central which played the equally awful AL Central. He did win 40 games from 2015-17 but his ERA was 4+ each year. Good, but not great. If Cole is ok with it and he isn't looking for a long term deal, I'd look to sign him. But I think giving him big money, long term, based on 2020 would not be wise.

I'd look to resign Tanaka too assuming he doesn't want a long term contract. He just never seemed right this year after taking the line drive off his head in the Spring. It maybe nostalgia, but I think Tanaka on a 1-2 year deal at a decent dollar figure would be exactly the 4/5 starter we need.

Garcia and Montgomery should be in the rotation as well at least until Severino returns assuming he returns.

As much as it hurts for what could have been, they should look to trade Sanchez. Maybe go after Reamulto with some of that savings. Stanton too probably if they can move him off of this postseason where he looked as good as he has since he's been in NY. Obviously resigning DJL is a no brainer. I wouldn't give up on Torres at all unless you get a young stud back.

If Gardner does leave, bring in Michael Brantley. Left handed version of DJL. Put the two of them at the top of the lineup would be murder on opposing pitchers in the first innings before the power comes up. Sign an arm for the bullpen. Don't know much about him but Liam Hendricks is an UFA and has had a couple of real good years as Oakland's closer. I'll say him but it could be anyone they like to add depth to the bullpen.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#1272 » by bishnykfan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:35 am

- Trade Sanchez
- Trade Stanton
- Trade Andujar

- Resign LeMahieu
- Resign Tanaka

- Sign Bauer (assuming Cole is ok with it) $25M/1 year
- Sign Reamulto $150M/6 years
- Sign Brantley $35M/2 years
- Sign Hendricks $27/3 years

If they just did the above they would have roughly the same salary (with the savings from Ellsbury/ARod/Paxton/Happ) as this past year give or take.

Spoiler:
DJL- 2B
Brantley- DH
Torres- SS
Judge- RF
Voit- 1B
Reamulto- C
Frazier- LF
Urshela- 3B
Hicks- CF

Higashioka
Tauchman/Gardner
Wade

Cole
Bauer
Tanaka
Garcia
Montgomery

German
Severino
Schmidt
King

Chapman
Britton
Kahnle
Hendricks
Green
Ottavino
Holder
Cessa

Still to right handed in the lineup but more balanced overall with better rotation and bullpen depth.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1273 » by GEOLINK » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:19 am

Tanaka may go back to Japan.

Read on Twitter
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#1274 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:44 pm

bishnykfan wrote:- Trade Sanchez
- Trade Stanton
- Trade Andujar

- Resign LeMahieu
- Resign Tanaka

- Sign Bauer (assuming Cole is ok with it) $25M/1 year
- Sign Reamulto $150M/6 years
- Sign Brantley $35M/2 years
- Sign Hendricks $27/3 years

If they just did the above they would have roughly the same salary (with the savings from Ellsbury/ARod/Paxton/Happ) as this past year give or take.

Spoiler:
DJL- 2B
Brantley- DH
Torres- SS
Judge- RF
Voit- 1B
Reamulto- C
Frazier- LF
Urshela- 3B
Hicks- CF

Higashioka
Tauchman/Gardner
Wade

Cole
Bauer
Tanaka
Garcia
Montgomery

German
Severino
Schmidt
King

Chapman
Britton
Kahnle
Hendricks
Green
Ottavino
Holder
Cessa

Still to right handed in the lineup but more balanced overall with better rotation and bullpen depth.

Brantley is one of these guys who already kinda carries himself like a Yankee. That quiet confidence you know? Why isn’t this guy already a Yankee?! Only thing with him is he’s already 33. But I would love that move if we are moving on from Gardner.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#1275 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:50 pm

GEOLINK wrote:Tanaka may go back to Japan.

Read on Twitter

Japan is not an easy league so you have to still be pretty good to play there but I wonder if he feels he’s at that stage already? With everything going on he might want to be closer to family too though.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#1276 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:59 pm

Andrew Miller has a team option with the cardinals which I’m thinking they probably won’t pick up since he’s an older guy. I really liked him when he was here so might be worth a look for bullpen depth. I don’t think you can expect him to be dominant like he was when he was here before but who knows what’ll happen when he puts on the pinstripes again lol.

Edit: Scratch that I guess. His contract had a clause where the extension kicked in automatically if he reached a minimum amount of appearances so he’s not a free agent.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#1277 » by blue and orange » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:12 am

TB develops their pitchers better and coaches them better. Aside from CC and Cole pitchers who come here usually suck look at Sonny Gray and Paxton. Go watch Paxton be dominant for another team now.

Offensive approach needs to change too, hr or nothing offense won't win in decisive games. Funny seeing Ford, Voit, Stanton and some other guys swinging on 3-2 in game 5, its because the analytics team tells them to draw their walks on 3-2, guess what elite teams like TB won't be walking you you have to at least protect the plate. Notice TB even their outs their working the counts its how Cole was driven out of the game and the eventual gw hr off Chapman thats real scouting not BS analytics like the Yankees have.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,945

Post#1278 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:00 pm

blue and orange wrote:TB develops their pitchers better and coaches them better. Aside from CC and Cole pitchers who come here usually suck look at Sonny Gray and Paxton. Go watch Paxton be dominant for another team now.

Offensive approach needs to change too, hr or nothing offense won't win in decisive games. Funny seeing Ford, Voit, Stanton and some other guys swinging on 3-2 in game 5, its because the analytics team tells them to draw their walks on 3-2, guess what elite teams like TB won't be walking you you have to at least protect the plate. Notice TB even their outs their working the counts its how Cole was driven out of the game and the eventual gw hr off Chapman thats real scouting not BS analytics like the Yankees have.

Rays more analytically oriented than we are. We just had some dumbass strategies. Like I kinda respect Boone cause on some level, he knew how bad Otto was, but then he effed that all up by giving Happ an opportunity. Both of them are trash. Analytics ain’t cleaning up your crap that bad.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#1279 » by blue and orange » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:09 pm

blue and orange wrote:TB develops their pitchers better and coaches them better. Aside from CC and Cole pitchers who come here usually suck look at Sonny Gray and Paxton. Go watch Paxton be dominant for another team now.

Offensive approach needs to change too, hr or nothing offense won't win in decisive games. Funny seeing Ford, Voit, Stanton and some other guys not swinging on 3-2 in game 5, its because the analytics team tells them to draw their walks on 3-2, guess what elite teams like TB won't be walking you you have to at least protect the plate. Notice TB even their outs their working the counts its how Cole was driven out of the game and the eventual gw hr off Chapman thats real scouting not BS analytics like the Yankees have.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1280 » by GEOLINK » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:17 pm

Hal needs to fire Cashman and steal someone from that TB front office.

Return to New York Knicks