ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

_MidNight_
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3041 » by _MidNight_ » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:26 am

Alfred wrote:

Hey guys, I created a new video detailing the draft with none other than our very own HeadtopChunes! Enjoy!

Even before watching this, I gotta say you create the best and most accurate Raptor content on YouTube.

I enjoy watching every single one of your videos, keep up the great work.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,942

Post#3042 » by Kevin Willis » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Dalek wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:Let him work out with Rico to improve fitness, speed and explosion and he's a lotto player.

When I watch the video I see him having decent vertical, and he grabs boards, so if he just improves his agility to be able to move laterally you have a very good player.

His shot is consistent and he is 6'8" so Nwora's shot isn't likely to get blocked.You look at other shooters like Bane and Joe and they are small guys. Joe has a quick release that helps him some, but I'd worry about Bane at the next level.

One weird fact I picked up in a CBS interview was that Nwora's favorite team growing up was not the Knicks or Nets, but Toronto. He even went to the All-Star game when it was hosted in Toronto. Buffalo is practically a suburb of Toronto distance wise.

He fits in our system better than RHJ. He's taller. He can still rebound the ball. He stretches the floor. Long wingspan. I like Omri comparison, as soon as he said it I thought that was pretty good. Omri was a really good player though, if after time he's anywhere close that's a good pick.

Still like Joe because he's a better defender but Nwora is nice.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#3043 » by Psubs » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Could Elijah Hughes be Jimmy Butler 2.0?

He does a lit bit of everything pretty darn good. Good size, athleticism, could slot in as backup SF right now. A/T around 1.5 and only 1.8 fouls. 80% FT shooter. Could see him fighting for minutes with Paul Watson right away. Good handles and finishing. Can shoot off the dribble and transition 3 already.

WeTheNorth123
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,363

Post#3044 » by WeTheNorth123 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:48 pm

our pick putting in work

Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#3045 » by Alfred » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:57 pm

_MidNight_ wrote:
Alfred wrote:

Hey guys, I created a new video detailing the draft with none other than our very own HeadtopChunes! Enjoy!

Even before watching this, I gotta say you create the best and most accurate Raptor content on YouTube.

I enjoy watching every single one of your videos, keep up the great work.

Thank you! I appreciate it.
DAcReator
Junior
And1: 522

Post#3046 » by DAcReator » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:35 pm

Not to be a downer, but is anyone slightly annoyed that we finished the season half a game better than the Lakers just to be 1 pick below them in the draft while they are in the finals.

Plus Homecourt never mattered so just sucks all around :banghead:
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#3047 » by Indeed » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:35 pm

DAcReator wrote:Not to be a downer, but is anyone slightly annoyed that we finished the season half a game better than the Lakers just to be 1 pick below them in the draft while they are in the finals.

No, the 25th pick and below range is about the same tier, and is all the way down for a few 10 - 15 spots.
Besides, most teams above us (probably except Boston) will look for NBA ready players (win now), while we maybe more focus on potential with our development league.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,589

Post#3048 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:49 pm

DAcReator wrote:Not to be a downer, but is anyone slightly annoyed that we finished the season half a game better than the Lakers just to be 1 pick below them in the draft while they are in the finals.

I was definitely bothered when it happened
Us and the Lakers needs aren't that similar but I really get the feeling that someone good is gonna drop and seeing the Lakers of all teams pick them right before us would be the worst case scenario
DAcReator
Junior
And1: 522

Post#3049 » by DAcReator » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Indeed wrote:

No, the 25th pick and below range is about the same tier, and is all the way down for a few 10 - 15 spots.
Besides, most teams above us (probably except Boston) will look for NBA ready players (win now), while we maybe more focus on potential with our development league.

On one hand I agree, however, with the lakers being able to easily acquire free agents to fill their voids during the offseason, I can see them being ok with drafting a long term prospect. I doubt thats the case but its still a possibility
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#3050 » by RaptorPride » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:26 pm

Alfred wrote:

This was great. Thank you!
Spoiler:

Psubs
RealGM

Post#3051 » by Psubs » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:11 am

Not as much as missing out on Lillard by winning those useless games at the end.

It's all about scouting and what type of pick they want.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#3052 » by pr0gr4m » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:01 am

RaptorPride wrote:
Alfred wrote:

Great video. I never looked into Maledon and he seems to be exactly what the Raptors could use next to an Oladipo.

If we draft Zeke where would he fit next to Giannis and Siakam? He would be selected as a bench big.

A guy I think has a lot of potential is Elijah Hughes, he can still be developed in a scorer on the 905.

Maledon competes against the best competition and his similarities to Shai make him the favorite for me right now. He's dealing with really bad spacing in Europe, the courts are smaller, and there's no 3 second rule.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3053 » by Psubs » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:29 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:A guy I think has a lot of potential is Elijah Hughes, he can still be developed in a scorer on the 905.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2020/09/elijah-hughes-preps-near-albany-for-the-nba-draft-he-wants-it-that-bad.html

Glad that he's gotten a little more fit. He doesn't look like he needs any more bulk; just get stronger. Paul Pierce is 6'7. If Hughes' wingspan measures closer to 6'9 he could easily play SF.

Watson is skinnier and may be better suited to defend the SG position.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#3054 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:27 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:
Alfred wrote:

Great video. I never looked into Maledon and he seems to be exactly what the Raptors could use next to an Oladipo.

If we draft Zeke where would he fit next to Giannis and Siakam? He would be selected as a bench big.

A guy I think has a lot of potential is Elijah Hughes, he can still be developed in a scorer on the 905.

Maledon competes against the best competition and his similarities to Shai make him the favorite for me right now. He's dealing with really bad spacing in Europe, the courts are smaller, and there's no 3 second rule.

Don’t think Giannis will play full time 5 so you need someone to put there (if Giannis comes at all that is)

Nba Spacing will def help Theo, although I think it’s notable to point out he was still a very good finisher in EL regardless (61% at the rim) for comparison Shai shot 61% in College at the rim
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,906

Post#3055 » by LoveMyRaps » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:46 pm

It's crazy how much Oturu's stock fell over the pandemic. At one point in the season he was a lock to be a lottery pick, now many mock drafts have him going in the second round.
I know the Raptors FO scouted him and attend his games, so I do think he'll earn some consideration at #29. I wouldn't be opposed to it, I'd actually be pretty content. Though he wouldn't be my first or even second choice if we're drafting a big.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#3056 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:48 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:It's crazy how much Oturu's stock fell over the pandemic. At one point in the season he was a lock to be a lottery pick, now many mock drafts have him going in the second round.
I know the Raptors FO scouted him and attend his games, so I do think he'll earn some consideration at #29. I wouldn't be opposed to it, I'd actually be pretty content. Though he wouldn't be my first or even second choice if we're drafting a big.

Eh I don’t think he was ever lottery pick anywhere besides that whack nbadraftnet site lol.

He’s been late first mid second everywhere legit the whole time so I don’t that’s changed
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,290

Post#3057 » by mademan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:

Us and the Lakers needs aren't that similar but I really get the feeling that someone good is gonna drop and seeing the Lakers of all teams pick them right before us would be the worst case scenario

Lakers low key have been pretty decent drafting late. They got one of the better scouting departments when theyre not overruled my Magic Johnson, lol. Caruso, Kuzma, THT, Zubac all as late picks and underrated is pretty decent over the past 4 years. Sucks to be right after them for no reason (no HCA)
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3058 » by Psubs » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:58 pm

mademan wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:

Lakers low key have been pretty decent drafting late. They got one of the better scouting departments when theyre not overruled my Magic Johnson, lol. Caruso, Kuzma, THT, Zubac all as late picks and underrated is pretty decent over the past 4 years. Sucks to be right after them for no reason (no HCA)

Caruso is no better than Watson.
Kuzma is just a chucker.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,290

Post#3059 » by mademan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:09 pm

Psubs wrote:
mademan wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:I was definitely bothered when it happened

Kuzma is just a chucker.

This isnt a competition. But Caruso is a role player who has a valuable skillset (defense and size at guard spot) who's about to start for a championship team. Watson didnt have enough trust to get minutes on the Raps even though his skillset was very much in desire for us in the postseason.

But again, not a competition. I was just remarking that theyve been sneakily good at drafting late
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3060 » by Psubs » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:40 pm

mademan wrote:
Psubs wrote:
mademan wrote:

Kuzma is just a chucker.

This isnt a competition. But Caruso is a role player who has a valuable skillset (defense and size at guard spot) who's about to start for a championship team. Watson didnt have enough trust to get minutes on the Raps even though his skillset was very much in desire for us in the postseason.

But again, not a competition. I was just remarking that theyve been sneakily good at drafting late

They pretty much let Zubac walk to clear space. :lol:

Caruso is like McCaw calibre. Didn't Delly start in the Finals too?

Return to Toronto Raptors