ImageImageImageImageImage

Your Game Six substitution strategy

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Your Game Six substitution strategy 

Post#1 » by stan francisco » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Vogel, you’re up against Riley and you’re letting him define how the series is played? You, too, have to be the badass aggressor, sir! Get your coaching staff together and smith a plan. Riley had his way with you in game five. You need to be as aggressive coaching as you’re telling this team to be on the floor.

To the posters here, what’s a small rotation shift or other adjustment you see our coaching staff able to take a chance with in game six; in order to throw Butler off just enough for the Heat to go down? It’s down to small details now.

Most would of course say cut the head off the snake, and so do I. Butler needs to be defended the way that AD shut-down defended him in game 3 where he was kept to 20. That’s not happening now as AD has a bum ankle. Team defense is required.

One on one, LBJ seems lost covering Butler. And Butler doesn’t seem much bothered by Green, KCP nor Kuzma. We need to stop him from having the game played the way he wants it played, perimeter switches and all.

Butler loves one-on-one, but doesn’t like quick and lengthy defenders. We need a small and a big with both quick feet and long arms. We need to surprise him with this on his favorite switches, the ones he gets by own design.

Here’s my strategy. Changing Butler’s look for a few minutes sporadically can get us a few turnovers and in a tight game a small edge like that can swing momentum. I’d like to throw him a few surprise odd one-on-one coverage looks for a few minutes here and there. Its a small thing but if successful, we might get the few turnovers we need to tip the balance of this game. It’s gonna be tight.

We have two quickfooted athletic beasts whom Butler hasn’t yet faced. I trust them both. But it’ll take Vogel having big brass balls. It’ll also require going to a wider rotation than his current nine players.

Around minute 4 first quarter I’m subbing KCP for THT with orders to be a pest to Butler for just a few minutes. THT’s physical makeup should in my mind bother Butler a great deal! THT is a heady defender, reads the game super well. He’s quick, long, super athletic, has game; and he ain’t afraid of no Butler. Fresh legs. Disturb him greatly, keep your hands away, use your feet. Simply, bother the he’ll out of him for two minutes.

They also like to create the switch out on the perimeter, get a big man of ours out on Butler for single coverage. If Dwight switches once too many times, I’m immediately gambling with Kostas. He’s fast enough for single covering Butler. He’s a baller, he’s very quick for his length and he’s long, long, long. For a couple of minutes, just to give Butler a different look.

Besides the fact that small aggressive coaching moves like this can lead to momentum tilting a whole series, I’d love to see Kostas get a stop/turnover/block/box-out on Butler or two to affect the outcome of the finals. Also to get him pumped for next season and to get his big bro to cheer for the Lakers, but that’s secondary.

Eliminate!

What’s your small, creative coaching move?
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Re: Your Game Six substitution strategy 

Post#2 » by kblo247 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:30 pm

Start Rondo and Kuzma. Make Lebron a finisher early and often. Make Kuz the cutter and KCP the shooter. Feed AD. Let Rondo dictate the game. And yes I’m at the point I let KCP get cooked by Butler because he’s been the best petmeter defender on the team so let him try. Play them all 35-40 minutes. Divide the scraps up between Dwight, Caruso, Kieff, and Green who all play no more than 15
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#3 » by KL78192020 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:09 pm

Morris hasn't done much he was decent earlier, but Kuz is playing better than him.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#4 » by lazybatman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:54 pm

stan francisco wrote:Around minute 4 first quarter I’m subbing KCP for THT with orders to be a pest to Butler for just a few minutes. THT’s physical makeup should in my mind bother Butler a great deal! THT is a heady defender, reads the game super well. He’s quick, long, super athletic, has game; and he ain’t afraid of no Butler. Fresh legs. Disturb him greatly, keep your hands away, use your feet. Simply, bother the he’ll out of him for two minutes.

Bro, you had me at THT :lol: :lol: :lol: but then you mentioned Kostas. :lol: :lol: :lol: THT is definitely worth a couple of high energy spurts of 3-6 minutes, and see how he does in there. I like the long rangy 7'1" wingspan savvy IQ in the limited time we've seen him so far.

I know DG and Morris had the clutch shakes and the role players shat the bed, but thought we lost the game cos of lack of effort defensively. Just took the Heat for granted. If we played defense the way we can when we want, we win this one going away. It was more of an EFFORT thing than strategy.

Adjustments -
-Rotation - Reduce Kuz and Dwight's minutes as much as possible for Rondo and Caruso. We need smarter players and leaders out there in a closeout game, not these unpredictable idiots. I couldn't fathom why they were both benched for Morris and DG in the final minutes.
-Defensive intensity - I want to see Vogel waste a couple of timeouts early and sub out offenders like Pop to to set the tone of defensive focus. If it takes a couple of substitutions, bruise some egos, so be it. If we defend well, it's GAME OVER.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:15 am

I think THT needs to come off the bench before Kuzma and play until he screws up twice or gets torched, whichever comes first... We need to try some ****...
Start McGee and try to get out and run..
Give Quin Cook some burn to close the first half and see if he can drain some 3s for us...

Our Defense is not doing well, and I think it's because our offense isn't putting enough pressure on their D... We need to stop screwing around with the first 20 seconds of the clock and start taking some quicker shots and live with the results... At this stage, Butler's been through hell, we need to try to run him out of the building.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#6 » by TylersLakers » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:17 am

Bench Dwight. Start Kuzma. If we're going to win this series, we're going to need a big Kuzma game. Also, he's one more active body on the perimeter. Dwight's struggling defensively on the perimeter chasing guards.

KCP/Danny/Kuz/LeBron/AD

with Caruso, Rondo, Morris off the bench.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#7 » by LAKESHOW » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:40 am

Hate to say it folks, but we have to give Danny Green his shot. Redemption is a powerful thing.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#8 » by DanishLakerFan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:41 am

Assuming AD is fine, i'd probably go small and go with Kieff instead of Dwight.

We need some of the roleplayer to play well and we need guys like Danny Green to take some more 3s.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#9 » by DanishLakerFan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:45 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Hate to say it folks, but we have to give Danny Green his shot. Redemption is a powerful thing.

I agree. Green should play the same role he always plays, but he has to take the challenge as well. If he starts passing up the open or lightly contested shots, he has to get off the floor.

A redemption game like the finals game way the hell back where he went 7-9 from 3 while playing good defense would be pretty nice right now.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#10 » by Kilroy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:47 am

TylersLakers wrote:Bench Dwight. Start Kuzma. If we're going to win this series, we're going to need a big Kuzma game. Also, he's one more active body on the perimeter. Dwight's struggling defensively on the perimeter chasing guards.

KCP/Danny/Kuz/LeBron/AD

with Caruso, Rondo, Morris off the bench.

Start Kuzma?! I mean, I guess in a 'They'll never see this coming' sort of way... But Kuzma has been as bad as I've ever seen him... A stupid mistake waiting to happen.

We start a big next to AD so he doesn't have to guard Bam... Bam would destroy Kuzma and so would Butler with fresh legs... So you'd have AD helping a lot which would free up someone, probably for an open 3. It plays right into the heats hands.

We need to start Dwight, Morris or McGee next to AD... And Morris has been pretty awful on defense too.. So if you don't like howard to start, I think it has to be McGee, and I figure why not give it a shot... Worst thing that happens is they build a lead in the first... Which they've done anyway in the last 3 games.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#11 » by DanishLakerFan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:51 am

This is also a game of effort and maybe i'd consider going with Caruso in there as well.
Caruso-KCP-Green-Lebron-AD
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#12 » by Kilroy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:58 am

Our problem isn't our lineups though... It's that Miami is playing loose with a DGAF attitude, and we're playing tight.
This is not fun for these guys anymore and our play is showing it... It comes from LeBron having a tantrum after every mistake, coupled with whatever happened between him and AD at the end of GM 2...
We need to get loose, and confident... Stop worrying about defending the Heat and start worrying about dropping 150 on them...
I think we need to find a way to force feed AD from the gate and get him attacking and to the line... No more mid range shots... A 2 man game with either Dwight or LeBron... Something that shows him that LeBron isn't all about his legacy and can handle a monster game from AD.

Defense creates offense, but if our mindset is we must be perfect on D first, I think it messes with our strength.

Also AD needs to get pissed and start taking it too these guys... When they hold him on the inbound passes, he needs to start flopping like they are... Dude needs to find his mojo again...

And LeBron needs to find a way to have his intensity but still be fun-lebron too... Right now, he looks like he's playing scared.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#13 » by Beethoven » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:36 am

I dunno. Whatever the strategy I hope it wins.

I'm not watching the game tomorrow.
I'm gonna go hiking nearby for a couple hours maybe visit my gym see how they set up post covid. Wish I can just hang out there but don't want to accidentally bring the virus home.

I'll log in late nite to check out if we are the Champions or we are in trouble.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#14 » by DanishLakerFan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:48 am

Kilroy wrote:Our problem isn't our lineups though... It's that Miami is playing loose with a DGAF attitude, and we're playing tight.
This is not fun for these guys anymore and our play is showing it... It comes from LeBron having a tantrum after every mistake, coupled with whatever happened between him and AD at the end of GM 2...
We need to get loose, and confident... Stop worrying about defending the Heat and start worrying about dropping 150 on them...
I think we need to find a way to force feed AD from the gate and get him attacking and to the line... No more mid range shots... A 2 man game with either Dwight or LeBron... Something that shows him that LeBron isn't all about his legacy and can handle a monster game from AD.

Defense creates offense, but if our mindset is we must be perfect on D first, I think it messes with our strength.

Also AD needs to get pissed and start taking it too these guys... When they hold him on the inbound passes, he needs to start flopping like they are... Dude needs to find his mojo again...

And LeBron needs to find a way to have his intensity but still be fun-lebron too... Right now, he looks like he's playing scared.

The Heat are a really good team, they are fearless and they will keep attacking until that final whistle. I'm not sure Lebron or AD or anyone else on the Lakers have fully realised that until they lost in game 5. Hopefully they rally and destroy them in game 6, which they are fully capable of. If that doesn't happen and they lose confindence, they'll probably lose the next two.

The Lakers have to make the Heat worry about defending the Lakers - not the other way around.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#15 » by stan francisco » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:05 am

The games we’ve won, we have been the aggressor in. Same for the Heat. Hmm.

Having fun is indeed a missing component in both losses. For that to happen, LBJ needs to apologize to AD for treating him like his bitch in game 2.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,834

Post#16 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:28 pm

We're in a fight for two reasons, and pretty much two reasons only: We cannot contain Jimmy Butler, and the supporting cast is sucking an enormous dick.

I thought we'd come up with a solution for the former in Game 4 but obviously not. Butler has risen to the occasion in a big way, but we cannot continue to let him put up prime Larry Bird / LeBron stat lines. He's very good, but not that good. Step up and lock in, especially Davis. You think you're the DPOY? Do what you did in Game 4 and prove it.

There isn't much we can do about the latter. The JAGs have been inconsistent all year, and you just have to keep your fingers crossed they're not going to shoot us out of a game like they did on Friday. Just look at this horror show for the series:

Rondo: 29 pct
Green: 31 pct
Pope: 36 pct
Kuzma: 36 pct
Morris: 38 pct

Nothing you can do but pray that they're going to make some shots, because that is an enormous dead weight to overcome. As such, predicting a substitution pattern is pretty much useless given that you have no idea what you're going to get from any of these guys. If the two stars weren't playing as well as they have, we'd be in deep, deep trouble.

On that note, we have no more than two games left so we need as much out of LeBron and Davis as we can possibly get. 42-plus minutes each, the more paired up the better. Butler is stepping up to the challenge here, our stars need to do the same. They can rest when they're dead.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers