Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Re: Around the League - 2019-2020 

Post#2921 » by Sixersftw » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:43 am

youngcrev wrote:Markief... Lol

Another black mark for Philly.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#2922 » by Aussiepiston1 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:52 am

youngcrev wrote:Markief... Lol

He pulled a JR lol
Could have passed it to Lebron or even Danny Green was open, heck he could’ve even taken the shot but instead he threw it out of bounds haha
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,295

Post#2923 » by 76ciology » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:18 am

Danny Green missing that wide open 3 speaks how much luck is involved in winning a championship, even outside basketball.

I never understood a FO that have a non contender team fighting for the playoffs every year but look at the Heat. Maybe if Blazers had a little more luck like CJ or Melo going into a hot streak then they could be playing at the WCF.

The nature of variance of the 3 ball and the game allowing itself being a 3pt contest opens a lot of opportunities for non contenders.

AD is shooting 40% on 3s in the playoffs. Small sample size? Playoffs is small sample size.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,758

Post#2924 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:31 am

This should be us.... I'll never get over it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2925 » by 76ciology » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 am

Was passing it Danny Green the right play?

We’ll never know. But basing it on result, it was not the right decision.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#2926 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Front office needs to pay. Hiring Doc doesn't absolve your sins. We demand to see heads roll.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,729

Post#2927 » by Stanford » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:00 pm

76ciology wrote:Was passing it Danny Green the right play?

I think so! He was wide open.

Front office needs to pay.

They will and they won't. They'll never pay in a way that gives us any satisfaction but they're likely already paying through embarrassment and shame. If they're not, the team is in even more trouble than we can imagine.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#2928 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:45 pm

All doubt regarding if we'd be in the Finals right now with Jimmy should be put to rest. Absolute baller.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Jones
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#2929 » by youngcrev » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:43 pm

76ciology wrote:Was passing it Danny Green the right play?

We’ll never know. But basing it on result, it was not the right decision.

Sure. Lebron had one guy on him, one chasing from behind, and another waiting for him at the basket.

Aside from the boneheaded play by Markieff, the question to me is whether calling that timeout was the right move. They didn't really call a play, and I don't think getting Green on the floor for Caruso should have been that big of a priority. That last timeout really would have come in handy when they got the offensive rebound or after they were forced to foul to get another possession.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,010

Post#2930 » by Sixerscan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:05 pm

This always felt like Lakers in 6. If they would have won last night they would have done the whole post season without dropping more than one game in a series which would have been kind of nuts for a non-super team in the west.

Luck plays a role when you allow a team to stick around. Lakers play defense like they did in game 4 and it doesn’t matter if Danny Green bricks a shot or Jimmy goes god mode, game is already over. Likewise finish a team off before Game 7 and you’re not leaving it to who is hot for one night.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2931 » by 76ciology » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:55 pm

Aside from the FO..

Ben Simmons has to pay.

Ben should take it as a challenge that the guy we passed up for him is ballin’ in the finals.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,348

Post#2932 » by Eyeamok » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:09 pm

76ciology wrote:Aside from the FO..

Ben Simmons has to pay.

Ben should take it as a challenge that the guy we passed up for him is ballin’ in the finals.

True. But if we kept Jimmy and Ben what role would Ben play? I recall someone posted a video of the last few plays of the Raptors triple bounce game. Ben basically was just there, just a 5th man on the floor. Would he have played the point for the first 3 quarters then hand the ball over to jimmy in the 4th? Coach Brown had a hard time getting Ben and Embiid to play together how was he going to get the most out of the 3 of them playing in crunch time without egos being extremely bruised?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 532

Post#2933 » by sodmoraes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:16 pm

Eyeamok wrote:

Ben Simmons has to pay.

True. But if we kept Jimmy and Ben what role would Ben play? I recall someone posted a video of the last few plays of the Raptors triple bounce game. Ben basically was just there, just a 5th man on the floor. Would he have played the point for the first 3 quarters then hand the ball over to jimmy in the 4th? Coach Brown had a hard time getting Ben and Embiid to play together how was he going to get the most out of the 3 of them playing in crunch time without egos being extremely bruised?
With or without Butler, in the playoffs Simmons role is Always that, in the dunk spot..

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2934 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:06 am

Eyeamok wrote:

Ben Simmons has to pay.

Actually i think Brown’s plan is what you just mentioned. Let Ben play point for the first 3 quarters then let Jimmy take over in the fourth. It’s sort of how you see Wade-Bron or PG-Kawhi where both guys would take turn in being primary perimeter playmaker.

Ego aside, the best way to do it is let Ben run the offense with Butler conserving his energy for the 4th quarter. Then on crunch time, you let Butler run the offense where Ben can focus on playing defense.

This is what we’ve done for the most part until the Raps series. And Ive posted here how clunky it is and how you can make it tough to work when opponents can play a big SF like Raps and Bucks can.

Agree with everything you said including Biid-Ben is already tough to fit then its harder to add Butler in the equation.

A part of me goes philosophical and thinks this is probably why most superteams are consolidated into one team after a star has an awakening that he can’t do it alone. Like KG, Bron, Wade and so forth. The problem is, Butler is a different type of player while Ben still thinks he is larger than life.

It’s also quite ironic when Jimmy Butler said how some of our team (yes, our team) are not playing for the championship but for fame and fortune. I mean.. why is he not willing to sacrifice his game to fit with Ben then?

No matter what era you play in, You can’t have two guys who are not good shooters or won’t shoot that also want to play point guard on the court at the same time.

Anyway, whether you guys agree with me or not. we can all agree that Ben has to improve on offense.

Next season, no excuses. No more blaming on Brett or with the roster. He better be a better offensive player or I can see him on the trading block heading for 2021-2022 season.

I’m not saying he has to pay. I wish him well (like everyone on this team). But I hope seeing Butler in the finals would drive him into a better player.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,348

Post#2935 » by Eyeamok » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:34 am

76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Ben Simmons has to pay.

Actually i think Brown’s plan is what you just mentioned. Let Ben play point for the first 3 quarters then let Jimmy take over in the fourth. It’s sort of how you see Wade-Bron or PG-Kawhi where both guys would take turn in being primary perimeter playmaker.

Ego aside, the best way to do it is let Ben run the offense with Butler conserving his energy for the 4th quarter. Then on crunch time, you let Butler run the offense where Ben can focus on playing defense.

This is what we’ve done for the most part until the Raps series. And Ive posted here how clunky it is and how you can make it tough to work when opponents can play a big SF like Raps and Bucks can.

Agree with everything you said including Biid-Ben is already tough to fit then its harder to add Butler in the equation.

A part of me goes philosophical and thinks this is probably why most superteams are consolidated into one team after a star has an awakening that he can’t do it alone. Like KG, Bron, Wade and so forth. The problem is, Butler is a different type of player while Ben still thinks he is larger than life.

It’s also quite ironic when Jimmy Butler said how some of our team (yes, our team) are not playing for the championship but for fame and fortune. I mean.. why is he not willing to sacrifice his game to fit with Ben then?

No matter what era you play in, You can’t have two guys who are not good shooters or won’t shoot that also want to play point guard on the court at the same time.

Anyway, whether you guys agree with me or not. we can all agree that Ben has to improve on offense.

Next season, no excuses. No more blaming on Brett or with the roster. He better be a better offensive player or I can see him on the trading block heading for 2021-2022 season.

I’m not saying he has to pay. I wish him well (like everyone on this team). But I hope seeing Butler in the finals would drive him into a better player.

Who knows what motivates Ben, he has fame and a fat new contract all without learning how to shoot as a basketball player. Which is his primary mode of income. How crazy is that! It's just disappointing to see how little he has developed, the one area of his game, that has been pinpointed season after season as his most pressing weakness.

I would like to think that Ben would rise to the challenge after seeing Jimmy having such a great finals run. But he is probably not even watching the games.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,642

Post#2936 » by Negrodamus » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:44 pm

Read on Twitter

As Jimmy pushes this to game 6, this clip should be all that you consider for why he didn't return. It's not Ben, not Joel, probably not even Brett (although I do think they had issues), it's the front office.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,664

Post#2937 » by the_process » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:14 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

As Jimmy pushes this to game 6, this clip should be all that you consider for why he didn't return. It's not Ben, not Joel, probably not even Brett (although I do think they had issues), it's the front office.

Because the reason they asked if Jimmy “could be controlled” was on behalf of Brett.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#2938 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:31 pm

the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Because the reason they asked if Jimmy “could be controlled” was on behalf of Brett.

Btw what does “control Jimmy” mean?

Like him not asking a bigger role on offense? like when he asked for it during one of our video review session with the team?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,642

Post#2939 » by Negrodamus » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:40 pm

the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Even if Brett asked that, the messaging of controlling a grown man should not make its way to Jimmy. I'm no fan of Brett (the coach), but the process of the FO is also to manage personalities and make it work.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,664

Post#2940 » by the_process » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:44 pm

I do think that if this is the put up or shut up season. If they underachieve again; I imagine the Sixers will probably break up the band, so to speak.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers