Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#121 » by KqWIN » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:12 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Another guard I’d target is Shaquille Harrison is if the Bulls don’t resign him. Has great size, awesome defense and seems underrated.

Shaq
Alec
Jingles
Niang/Brantley?
Favors/ Bradley
That is a bench with some balance and versatility and upgrade from last year. That could potentially be done with MLE for Favors, BAE for Burks and min for Shaq.

Shaquille Harrison is really good. I'd make an offer for him and Kris Dunn. Those guys are elite on the defensive end.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#122 » by babyjax13 » Tue Nov 3, 2020 6:26 am

Nets are declining the option on Temple, I actually think he'd be a perfect fit for us at the minimum. Gives us 10 quality minutes at the 1-3 depending on what hole we need to be filled in the lineup on any given night. I've always really liked him, even when he was in Washington.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#123 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Nov 4, 2020 8:29 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Nets are declining the option on Temple, I actually think he'd be a perfect fit for us at the minimum. Gives us 10 quality minutes at the 1-3 depending on what hole we need to be filled in the lineup on any given night. I've always really liked him, even when he was in Washington.

I remember liking Temple a few years back, and I think it was reported the Quin did too. However, I fear that he is one of the older players that is a gamble as to whether they can actually effectively play anymore.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#124 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Nov 4, 2020 8:32 pm

Jrue Holiday becoming available is bad timing, by a year, for the Jazz. I'm not sure that there is a path to getting him here.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#125 » by babyjax13 » Wed Nov 4, 2020 8:32 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Nets are declining the option on Temple, I actually think he'd be a perfect fit for us at the minimum. Gives us 10 quality minutes at the 1-3 depending on what hole we need to be filled in the lineup on any given night. I've always really liked him, even when he was in Washington.

I remember liking Temple a few years back, and I think it was reported the Quin did too. However, I fear that he is one of the older players that is a gamble as to whether they can actually effectively play anymore.

True for sure, and he was not great this year (38/33/80 shooting). I still think he's worth the minimum and he can give you 10 minutes without hurting the team.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#126 » by AingesBurner » Thu Nov 5, 2020 3:11 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Jrue Holiday becoming available is bad timing, by a year, for the Jazz. I'm not sure that there is a path to getting him here.

Because the trade for Conley could have likely gotten Holiday.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#127 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 5, 2020 3:53 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Jrue Holiday becoming available is bad timing, by a year, for the Jazz. I'm not sure that there is a path to getting him here.

The time to get him was years ago instead of George Hill. I'm p sure Locke said that was the decision they were making at the time.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#128 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 5, 2020 3:55 am

babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

True for sure, and he was not great this year (38/33/80 shooting). I still think he's worth the minimum and he can give you 10 minutes without hurting the team.

I believe Temple was with Quin when they were both in the D-League. I think he'd be a nice pick up for us. His efficiency wasn't great, but that's low impact because he will almost never take shots like Royce.

Having said that, I would much prefer Kris Dunn or Shaw Harrison. Those guys are going to be steals.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#129 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 6:31 am

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:I remember liking Temple a few years back, and I think it was reported the Quin did too. However, I fear that he is one of the older players that is a gamble as to whether they can actually effectively play anymore.

I believe Temple was with Quin when they were both in the D-League. I think he'd be a nice pick up for us. His efficiency wasn't great, but that's low impact because he will almost never take shots like Royce.

Having said that, I would much prefer Kris Dunn or Shaq Harrison. Those guys are going to be steals.

I think both of those guys cost over the minimum, and Temple doesn't, so it really depends on what we need to do to round out the roster. Like all those choices.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#130 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Nov 5, 2020 9:28 pm

KqWIN wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:I remember liking Temple a few years back, and I think it was reported the Quin did too. However, I fear that he is one of the older players that is a gamble as to whether they can actually effectively play anymore.

Having said that, I would much prefer Kris Dunn or Shaw Harrison. Those guys are going to be steals.

I love Kris Dunn's defense, but his lack of an outside shot makes him a liability on offense, particularly with the system the Jazz run. I would love to get Shaq Harrison, though.

(Edit: As far as a minimum guy who would be a great fit, replacing the too expensive Clarkson, I still maintain would be Alec Burks).
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#132 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 10:31 pm

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#133 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 5, 2020 11:10 pm

I've actually been on board with the idea of trading Conley for another big contract like Griffin for awhile, I just didn't think we could take Detroit's lottery pick at the same time :lol:

It does seem like DET is looking to win more and Blake is the centerpiece of that team. I've seen rumors of them chasing Fred Van Vleet and that would make sense for what their goals are. Fred, Kennard, Griffin, and Woods? Yeah, that's probably a good 7-8 seed in the east which is all they want. Blake is probably tough to get right now.

I think Love, and potentially Harris or Horford (with picks coming) is a more realistic grab. I also think trading Conley just isn't realistic at this time with the quick turnaround. If the Jazz are open to a Conley trade at all, it would be a trade deadline type move.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#134 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Nov 6, 2020 12:29 am

KqWIN wrote:

I've actually been on board with the idea of trading Conley for another big contract like Griffin for awhile, I just didn't think we could take Detroit's lottery pick at the same time :lol:

It does seem like DET is looking to win more and Blake is the centerpiece of that team. I've seen rumors of them chasing Fred Van Vleet and that would make sense for what their goals are. Fred, Kennard, Griffin, and Woods? Yeah, that's probably a good 7-8 seed in the east which is all they want. Blake is probably tough to get right now.

I think Love, and potentially Harris or Horford (with picks coming) is a more realistic grab. I also think trading Conley just isn't realistic at this time with the quick turnaround. If the Jazz are open to a Conley trade at all, it would be a trade deadline type move.

Yeah, asking for their lottery pick this year was admittedly an overreach, even if the Jazz are taking on over $40M extra salary.

I think this would be reasonable and potentially of interest to all teams, especially since now the Pistons have indicated they will be using their cap space for assets:

Jazz: Griffin, Zhaire Smith, 2020 #34 pick, 2021 NYK 2nd round pick (via 76ers and anticipated to be in 30s)

76ers: Conley

Pistons: Horford, 2020 #21 pick, 2021 76ers FRP (top 10 protected), Mike Scott and Ed Davis, both expiring, for salary purposes.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#135 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Nov 6, 2020 12:51 am

^^

This could be the end result (insert your favorite draft pick or free agent):

Mitchell
Royce
Bogey
Griffin (trade)
Gobert

Burks (free agent)
Shaq Harrison (free agent)/ Zhaire Smith (trade)
Jingles
Niang
Bradley
#23 (Jalen Smith, Josh Green, Woodard?)
#34 (Oturu, Tillie, Reed?)
Keep Oni or just one other holdout from last season, or use the MLE (or remaining portion) on another free agent (maybe Favors?).

That is a potentially really good team if Griffin is healthy (at least for the playoffs), with some young players looking to the future.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#136 » by stitches » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:47 pm

Not surprising but:

Read on Twitter
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#137 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:04 pm

I just want to state that I am glad that the Jazz are at a place where we are not desperate enough to talk about whether we should bring on Westbrook.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#138 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:24 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I just want to state that I am glad that the Jazz are at a place where we are not desperate enough to talk about whether we should bring on Westbrook.

We do have a new billionaire owner so lets cross our fingers

JColl
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#139 » by red4hf » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:02 pm

stitches wrote:Not surprising but:

Read on Twitter

Shocking news...... Truly shocking......
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#140 » by MTJazzv3 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:53 pm

red4hf wrote:
stitches wrote:Not surprising but:

Read on Twitter

Shocking news...... Truly shocking......

I'm floored :lol: If v. Denver playoff Mike shows up out-of-the-box, I'm content. While paired with DM = small backcourt, can't beat the playmaking and floor stretching. That his contract wasn't re-negotiated and extended makes me happy though.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley

Return to Utah Jazz