2020 Draft : Future Nugs

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Re: 2020 Draft : Future Nugs 

Post#41 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:55 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Well, NBA 2020 draft is about 60 days away, so I thought we should start looking at prospects for this team. I start by saying these are late-round prospects since, at the moment, we're picking at 22. So here are some guys I am thinking about, feel free to share your prospects, your thoughts or let me know why I'm wrong. No order on preference, just a list:

Desmond Bane - Nice 3&D wing who has excellent 3-pt shooting skills
Zeke Nnaji - PF/C with decent skill defensive skills and has some offense to his game
Paul Reed - Good PF who will be a replacement for Millsap, more of a bench guy IMO
Josh Green - Another 3&D wing with better athleticism than Bane, but not as good of a shooter
Jalen Smith - Maybe out of range as he is ascending, scoring has increased along with blocked shots, a rim protector
Jaden McDaniels - More of a SF despite his size, but he has some potential talent here.
Cassius Stanley - a former 5-star recruit who needs a little time to develop but we could give it to him, our M.O.

I think the Nuggets are in a position to look for "best player available".

Desmond Bane - Nice shot but I don't see him as a serious defender. He seems like a decent defender but he just doesn't have the wingspan to be an elite defender.

Zeke Nnaji - Not so sure about this option. I like his game but he's another tall & skinny like Bol. Then again, I wouldn't mind drafting him.

Paul Reed - I'd love adding Reed to our bench. Not sure he'll ever be an NBA starter, but it seems possible. Seems to have a nice all around game.

Josh Green - Seems to be the type of player Gary Harris is today; not a great shot but great length and a solid defensive attitude. I suspect he'll be gone before our pick anyway.

Jalen Smith - Seriously doubt he'll drop far enough for us to grab, but yeah, Id like to draft him. Similar to Nnaji, but higher upside.

Jaden McDaniels - Similar to Porter in size and athleticism but IMO he has better handles but not as sweet of a shot. He could develop into a solid player in the NBA, but he doesn't seem to apply himself on defense and seems rather selfish on offense.

Cassius Stanley - Seems like a solid all around player, which makes sense coming out of Duke. Very athletic, which is always promising. He's not afraid of traffic around the basket. His highlight reels focus on his dunks and such, as is usual. But he has a nice shooting form and as Sky said, we can give him the time to develop - but I'm not sure he'll need more than one season to become a solid contributor.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#42 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:58 pm

I'll try adding a few players that I'm interested in.

Tyler Bey is a a long small forward that rebounds well for a SF. PAC-12 Defensive Player of the year and quite athletic. He can play one-on-one on both ends of the court, but seems team oriented. His shot is a little unusual, but not terrible. He just shoots from too far in front of his head IMO - easier to block, but with his height and reach, it'll be hard for most players to block his shot. His low-post game looks decent. I don't see many videos showing his handles, but ...

Udoka Azubuike would be a nice backup center. He's 7' w/7'7" wingspan and probably outweighs Jokic by just a little. His low posts moves remind me of Jokic twisting and turning until even the announcers are dizzy. I don't know what kind of outside shot he has because I couldn't find any in his highlights, but as I said: "backup center". 75% FG% - highest ever in the NCAA -decent shot blocker and rebounder. Reminds me of Mark Eaton.

Aleksej Pokusevski is built like Porzingis and his game is smooth with great range and decent handles. He's probably most effective when being used as a spot-up shooter. He's very young and could still become much greater than some forecast. With his height/wingspan, he can block shots. Like many European players, he's already been playing in some serious competition. His game is high-IQ. As an added bonus, he's from Serbia. So we could add a 7' Serbian SG to our 7' Serbian PG.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#43 » by skywalker33 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:03 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:I'll try adding a few players that I'm interested in.

Tyler Bey is a a long small forward that rebounds well for a SF. PAC-12 Defensive Player of the year and quite athletic. He can play one-on-one on both ends of the court, but seems team oriented. His shot is a little unusual, but not terrible. He just shoots from too far in front of his head IMO - easier to block, but with his height and reach, it'll be hard for most players to block his shot. His low-post game looks decent. I don't see many videos showing his handles, but ...

Udoka Azubuike would be a nice backup center. He's 7' w/7'7" wingspan and probably outweighs Jokic by just a little. His low posts moves remind me of Jokic twisting and turning until even the announcers are dizzy. I don't know what kind of outside shot he has because I couldn't find any in his highlights, but as I said: "backup center". 75% FG% - highest ever in the NCAA -decent shot blocker and rebounder. Reminds me of Mark Eaton.

Aleksej Pokusevski is built like Porzingis and his game is smooth with great range and decent handles. He's probably most effective when being used as a spot-up shooter. He's very young and could still become much greater than some forecast. With his height/wingspan, he can block shots. Like many European players, he's already been playing in some serious competition. His game is high-IQ. As an added bonus, he's from Serbia. So we could add a 7' Serbian SG to our 7' Serbian PG.

I like both Bey and Azubuike but both seem destined for the 2nd round, perhaps a trade back could actually net us both of them. I am with you when you pointed out "best available". Bey could easily replace TC, I think he's got better offense but is more of a SF/PF than a true wing IMO.

AlPo is an interesting prospect, he has talent, size, and shooting but I could easily see him being a Euro stash for a couple of years. Saw he's listed at 201lbs, we already have him on the roster with Bol Bol (although Bol seems a little closer to PT). That really shouldn't deter the Nuggets though, amass talent and worry about the rest later.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,480

Post#44 » by cjx » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:58 pm

With the 22nd pick in the NBA Draft, the Denver Nuggets select Precious Achiuwa from the University of Memphis! All we need is an athletic, defensive big to win it all!
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
skywalker33

Post#45 » by skywalker33 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:32 pm

cjx wrote:With the 22nd pick in the NBA Draft, the Denver Nuggets select Precious Achiuwa from the University of Memphis! All we need is an athletic, defensive big to win it all!

CJX, love how optimistic you are but not sure Achiuwa will be there. However, if he’s there I would agree he’d be a great choice for us.

skywalker33

Post#46 » by skywalker33 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:15 pm

Based upon needs, right now my three best candidates at #22 are SG Desmond Bane, SG Josh Green and PF/C Zeke Nnaji

Nuggninja
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#47 » by Nuggninja » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:02 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Well, NBA 2020 draft is about 60 days away, so I thought we should start looking at prospects for this team. I start by saying these are late-round prospects since, at the moment, we're picking at 22. So here are some guys I am thinking about, feel free to share your prospects, your thoughts or let me know why I'm wrong. No order on preference, just a list:

Desmond Bane - Nice 3&D wing who has excellent 3-pt shooting skills
Zeke Nnaji - PF/C with decent skill defensive skills and has some offense to his game
Paul Reed - Good PF who will be a replacement for Millsap, more of a bench guy IMO
Josh Green - Another 3&D wing with better athleticism than Bane, but not as good of a shooter
Jalen Smith - Maybe out of range as he is ascending, scoring has increased along with blocked shots, a rim protector
Jaden McDaniels - More of a SF despite his size, but he has some potential talent here.
Cassius Stanley - a former 5-star recruit who needs a little time to develop but we could give it to him, our M.O.

I think the Nuggets are in a position to look for "best player available".

Desmond Bane - Nice shot but I don't see him as a serious defender. He seems like a decent defender but he just doesn't have the wingspan to be an elite defender.

Zeke Nnaji - Not so sure about this option. I like his game but he's another tall & skinny like Bol. Then again, I wouldn't mind drafting him.

Paul Reed - I'd love adding Reed to our bench. Not sure he'll ever be an NBA starter, but it seems possible. Seems to have a nice all around game.

Josh Green - Seems to be the type of player Gary Harris is today; not a great shot but great length and a solid defensive attitude. I suspect he'll be gone before our pick anyway.

Jalen Smith - Seriously doubt he'll drop far enough for us to grab, but yeah, Id like to draft him. Similar to Nnaji, but higher upside.

Jaden McDaniels - Similar to Porter in size and athleticism but IMO he has better handles but not as sweet of a shot. He could develop into a solid player in the NBA, but he doesn't seem to apply himself on defense and seems rather selfish on offense.

Cassius Stanley - Seems like a solid all around player, which makes sense coming out of Duke. Very athletic, which is always promising. He's not afraid of traffic around the basket. His highlight reels focus on his dunks and such, as is usual. But he has a nice shooting form and as Sky said, we can give him the time to develop - but I'm not sure he'll need more than one season to become a solid contributor.

Cassius Stanley and Ramsey from Texas Tech are pretty intriguing options if they go the 2 guard future Garry Harris replacement route.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#48 » by The Rebel » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:12 pm

I read a report that RJ Hampton is working with Mike Miller and Penny Hardaway to improve his shot, decision making, and defense. IN mock drafts I see him anywhere from late lotto to late 20s, anyway we can move up to get him? With Morris expiring next season and Harris's struggles it would be nice to pick up another SG to develop.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:41 pm

The Rebel wrote:I read a report that RJ Hampton is working with Mike Miller and Penny Hardaway to improve his shot, decision making, and defense. IN mock drafts I see him anywhere from late lotto to late 20s, anyway we can move up to get him? With Morris expiring next season and Harris's struggles it would be nice to pick up another SG to develop.

Coeur mentioned him last spring and I took a quick look at him then.
Coeur wrote:1- Edwards
2- wiseman
3- O O
———-
4- deni
5- Ball
—————
6-8 Nico, Hampton, Obi,

#9- Cassius Stanley SG Duke. Nugs @ 22 = Cassius

I think Coeur was right, that he was going to go too high for us to grab - but by this time, I don't think he goes as high as Coeur had him. But I do suspect he goes in the middle of the 1st round and wouldn't be shocked if he did go as early as #10.

I just wonder if he's too similar to Morris & Dozier? Do we need all three?

I see Hampton as a project that plays somewhat similar to Murray, Morris, Dozier --- Combo guard. His New Zealand experience is nice and the hip injury doesn't bother me much. There was another report that he was working out with Ja Morant during his recovery (pre-Bubble time).

He's definitely worthy of interest IMO - and I understand why he's getting high praise. He's very athletic with length of court speed and great quickness. What I like best is that he seems to have an all-around, both-ends-of-the-court game. His shooting wasn't terrible but it wasn't impressive. He has a nice shot, but his release is a little low (not terribly, but still a bit easier to block in the NBA). Reports say he has been working on his shot's release point.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by The Rebel » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:13 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I read a report that RJ Hampton is working with Mike Miller and Penny Hardaway to improve his shot, decision making, and defense. IN mock drafts I see him anywhere from late lotto to late 20s, anyway we can move up to get him? With Morris expiring next season and Harris's struggles it would be nice to pick up another SG to develop.

Coeur mentioned him last spring and I took a quick look at him then.
Coeur wrote:1- Edwards
2- wiseman
3- O O
———-
4- deni
5- Ball
—————
6-8 Nico, Hampton, Obi,

#9- Cassius Stanley SG Duke. Nugs @ 22 = Cassius

I think Coeur was right, that he was going to go too high for us to grab - but by this time, I don't think he goes as high as Coeur had him. But I do suspect he goes in the middle of the 1st round and wouldn't be shocked if he did go as early as #10.

I just wonder if he's too similar to Morris & Dozier? Do we need all three?

I see Hampton as a project that plays somewhat similar to Murray, Morris, Dozier --- Combo guard. His New Zealand experience is nice and the hip injury doesn't bother me much. There was another report that he was working out with Ja Morant during his recovery (pre-Bubble time).

He's definitely worthy of interest IMO - and I understand why he's getting high praise. He's very athletic with length of court speed and great quickness. What I like best is that he seems to have an all-around, both-ends-of-the-court game. His shooting wasn't terrible but it wasn't impressive. He has a nice shot, but his release is a little low (not terribly, but still a bit easier to block in the NBA). Reports say he has been working on his shot's release point.

Hampton has the size and length to be a solid option at SG, with Morris expiring and likely getting a starter type deal a year from now we have to prepare. While I like Dozier, I am not sure he will ever be more than a 15 mpg bench guy who can come in a hustle and make a few plays.
skywalker33

Post#51 » by skywalker33 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:12 pm

Gotta agree with Rebel (again), Morris looks to be gone next year whether by free agency or trade, wish him well. Dozier looks like he can be a strong, versatile backup combo guard, every team can use a guy like him to create a strong bench. However, I don’t see him much more than a backup, spot starter at best.

Hampton, can’t say I know a lot about, but what I’ve heard/read is the skills he lacks can be learned or are correctable. The skills he does have, his athleticism, court vision, passing, are all borderline elite. His size and athleticism will fit nicely next to Murray. Don’t know what his defense is like, big question there but it can be learned

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by The Rebel » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:38 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Gotta agree with Rebel (again), Morris looks to be gone next year whether by free agency or trade, wish him well. Dozier looks like he can be a strong, versatile backup combo guard, every team can use a guy like him to create a strong bench. However, I don’t see him much more than a backup, spot starter at best.

Hampton, can’t say I know a lot about, but what I’ve heard/read is the skills he lacks can be learned or are correctable. The skills he does have, his athleticism, court vision, passing, are all borderline elite. His size and athleticism will fit nicely next to Murray. Don’t know what his defense is like, big question there but it can be learned

It is hard finding much video of teams in Australia and New Zealand for some reason, but from the reports I have read he is a very good defender for such a young guy.

To me it sounds like he has a very high ceiling but he is going to take some time to develop into that guy, and we have 1 of the best development staffs in the NBA.
skywalker33

Post#53 » by skywalker33 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:19 pm

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Gotta agree with Rebel (again), Morris looks to be gone next year whether by free agency or trade, wish him well. Dozier looks like he can be a strong, versatile backup combo guard, every team can use a guy like him to create a strong bench. However, I don’t see him much more than a backup, spot starter at best.

It is hard finding much video of teams in Australia and New Zealand for some reason, but from the reports I have read he is a very good defender for such a young guy.

To me it sounds like he has a very high ceiling but he is going to take some time to develop into that guy, and we have 1 of the best development staffs in the NBA.

Seems like the things he has to work on are things we don't need from him right away. If he plays decent defense, I'm sure Malone is already on board here. I am a bit intrigued by playing two combo guards together, from what I've seen of him his court vision is good, imaging the amt of assists he and Murray can generate.

We may have to trade up, would Morris get us up into the 15-19 range ??

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by The Rebel » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:29 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Seems like the things he has to work on are things we don't need from him right away. If he plays decent defense, I'm sure Malone is already on board here. I am a bit intrigued by playing two combo guards together, from what I've seen of him his court vision is good, imaging the amt of assists he and Murray can generate.

We may have to trade up, would Morris get us up into the 15-19 range ??

The Pelicans at 13 and Magic at 15 are the teams that most need a PG.

I can see the Kings at 12, Trailblazers at 16, and Twolves at 17 all having some interest in Barton, and I am not sure we would have to include the pick to do that if we are willing to take back an iffy contract.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,603

Post#55 » by youngthegiant » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:47 pm

List of guys I'm liking in this draft, in no particular order.

Would need to trade up

Aaron Nesmith: Looks to be an amazing shooter and he has some defensive upside as well. Does have a bit on an injury history, so there's a slight chance he slips a bit but most likely we need to move up to grab him. Probably the perfect fit in terms of what need from the 2 spot long term..Shooting, defense, moves well off-ball and low usage.

Saddiq Bey: Do it all SF with good size. Not particularly great at one thing, but will be solid at just about everything.

Will be in the 22 range: safe picks

Tyrell Terry: I'm very intrigued with Terry. His shooting ability is off the charts and he would be a good Monte Morris replacement if we decide to move on. Terry, Dozier, Barton would be a nice bench trio together.

Kira Lewis jr.: Speedy PG who has a solid jump shot. Same reason for taking Terry, but just a different style of PG.

Josh Green: 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan. Has shown some good skills at Arizona. His offense imo is a question mark at the next level, but he'll be solid defensively.

Tyler Bey: Probably the ideal pick in this draft. 6'7 with a 7 foot wingspan and extremely versatile on defense. I see him replacing Torrey Craig as a cheaper option, but with a lot more offensive upside if he continues to work on his game. I would love to see a Murray/Bey/MPJ/Grant/Jokic lineup. The length and athleticism on the floor would be amazing. Bey shot 40% from 3 in college but it was a small sample. I'm guessing he'll be anywhere from 30-35%.

Paul Reed: The only question mark with his game is his jumper. Paul Reed is one of my favorite prospects in this draft, he'll be able to help us right away.

Xavier Tillman: Smart big man who can defend. Solid pick for a back up center.

Leandro Bolmaro: A 6'7 playmaking wing. Very unique, looks like he'll be a good defender(like Ricky Rubio)...but his jumper will be a Rubio level one as well. Not a bad pick at #22, he'll definitely contribute at the next level.

Desmond Bane: Reminds me of Malcolm Brogdon, looks like he'll be a solid NBA player.

The Gambles potentially at #22:

If you want to take a swing for another star, take one of these guys. Low chance they actually do, but that's the risk you take.

Aleksej Pouksevski
Jaden Mcdaniels
RJ Hampton
skywalker33

Post#56 » by skywalker33 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:08 pm

Another article recently was about Wingman Jay Scrubb. A JUCO transfer for Louisville but may look to get drafted, he's 6'6" with good athleticism, avg'd 21ppg (in D2, take it for what it's worth), showed good defensive skills. The author (who I really don't like BTW), was proposing a diamond in the rough at pick 22 but looking into him I saw a late 2nd to UDFA. Saw some video of him looked a lot like Latrell Sprewell to me, Malone would love him for his D alone. Long and lean and has a nice shot with some range.

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#57 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:24 am

The NBA draft subforum has an ongoing mock draft and Denver will be bring voted on for the next 36-48 hours. Please drop by and give input!
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
skywalker33

Post#58 » by skywalker33 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:01 pm

The more I look at SG Jay Scrubb the more I think he could be the perfect replacement for Will Barton. Very athletic, nice shooting stroke with range. Seems like he could be a bit of a black hole though.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:34 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Another article recently was about Wingman Jay Scrubb. A JUCO transfer for Louisville but may look to get drafted, he's 6'6" with good athleticism, avg'd 21ppg (in D2, take it for what it's worth), showed good defensive skills. The author (who I really don't like BTW), was proposing a diamond in the rough at pick 22 but looking into him I saw a late 2nd to UDFA. Saw some video of him looked a lot like Latrell Sprewell to me, Malone would love him for his D alone. Long and lean and has a nice shot with some range.

skywalker33 wrote:The more I look at SG Jay Scrubb the more I think he could be the perfect replacement for Will Barton. Very athletic, nice shooting stroke with range. Seems like he could be a bit of a black hole though.

I finally took some time to look at Scrubb. It's hard to make any sort of determination since he was playing in Junior College ball, but I love his athleticism and he's supposed to be 6'6" with a 6'9" wingspan - that's nice for an NBA wing.

22 ppg on 50% - 33% - 72% sounds like even if he won't be a big-time scorer in the NBA, he's got the potential to be a contributor on the offensive end. Adding 7 rpg means he's willing to work.

I think I like this guy. :D
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:48 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:The NBA draft subforum has an ongoing mock draft and Denver will be bring voted on for the next 36-48 hours. Please drop by and give input!

Tell everyone I was wrong :lol:

Return to Denver Nuggets