Around the NBA, Season 2019-2020

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Re: Around the NBA, Season 2019-2020 

Post#341 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:07 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:It looks like Buddy Hield will soon be on the market. Reportedly he wants out and doesn't answer the phone if his coach is calling. We probably don't have the assets to get him, though.

https://sports.yahoo.com/buddy-hield-luke-waltons-phone-calls-kings-trade-request-sixers-nba-003626814.html

I mean, we probably do, the question is if we want to deal what it would take.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#342 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Oct 9, 2020 7:48 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:It looks like Buddy Hield will soon be on the market. Reportedly he wants out and doesn't answer the phone if his coach is calling. We probably don't have the assets to get him, though.

https://sports.yahoo.com/buddy-hield-luke-waltons-phone-calls-kings-trade-request-sixers-nba-003626814.html

Are the Kings going to be interested in anyone on our roster who isn't Gobert and Mitchell? I suppose they could use Conley's mentorship of Fox + veteran leadership for a season and then have his huge deal expire, but I can't see a deal happening.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#343 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 1:31 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Are the Kings going to be interested in anyone on our roster who isn't Gobert and Mitchell? I suppose they could use Conley's mentorship of Fox + veteran leadership for a season and then have his huge deal expire, but I can't see a deal happening.

I think something like O'neale + 23 + filler would do it.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#344 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Oct 9, 2020 6:32 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I don't think that's good value for the Kings. Also, what would be the filler? Heild will earn $24M next season, while Royce will make $8.5M. The only possible "filler" I see is Ingles who'll make $10.8, and Ed Davis with $5M.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#345 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 9, 2020 11:23 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Are the Kings going to be interested in anyone on our roster who isn't Gobert and Mitchell? I suppose they could use Conley's mentorship of Fox + veteran leadership for a season and then have his huge deal expire, but I can't see a deal happening.

I don't think that's good value for the Kings. Also, what would be the filler? Heild will earn $24M next season, while Royce will make $8.5M. The only possible "filler" I see is Ingles who'll make $10.8, and Ed Davis with $5M.

O'neale is the more impactful player, so I think it is actually great value (I wouldn't do it). I'd assume Royce + Conley + 23 for Heild + ???.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#346 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:28 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

O'neale is the more impactful player, so I think it is actually great value (I wouldn't do it). I'd assume Royce + Conley + 23 for Heild + ???.

I think it's too much salary going to the Kings, they'll have to send some back. We'll be sending them $43M between Conley and Royce, and they'll be sending back $24M (I'm using 2021's salaries, as currently Hield is making $4.8M). The only player they could attach to make salaries work right now is Joseph at $12M and I don't think they'll want to do that. This is also why we don't have the assets. They already have Joseph so they don't need Conley.

Anyway, I just went to the ESPN Trade Machine (and also RealGM Trade Checker) and we currently can't trade Conley, Clarkson and Mudiay. They probably need to pick up their options or be signed to a new contract first. I just don't see a trade that makes sense with the Kings for Hield.

babyjax13
RealGM

Post#347 » by babyjax13 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I think it's too much salary going to the Kings, they'll have to send some back. We'll be sending them $43M between Conley and Royce, and they'll be sending back $24M (I'm using 2021's salaries, as currently Hield is making $4.8M). The only player they could attach to make salaries work right now is Joseph at $12M and I don't think they'll want to do that. This is also why we don't have the assets. They already have Joseph so they don't need Conley.

Anyway, I just went to the ESPN Trade Machine (and also RealGM Trade Checker) and we currently can't trade Conley, Clarkson and Mudiay. They probably need to pick up their options or be signed to a new contract first. I just don't see a trade that makes sense with the Kings for Hield.

Joseph is negative value on his contract and Kings fans pretty universally hate him, so I don't think adding him to a trade is going to be a problem. I think Buddy has positive value, but the trade board has him closer to neutral. Royce + Conley + 23 for Buddy + Joseph + Parker (another negative value) seems about right from a value standpoint, and works salary wise. I wouldn't hate that for us, but wouldn't be crazy about it, either. Buddy is a pretty bad defender, and I don't think there is a huge difference as a scorer between him and Bogey such that I'd want to trade for him (and then be forced to trade Bogey, or limit their minutes together). In fact, I think Bojan is a better player, so, I just don't see it as a great fit.

JColl
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#348 » by stitches » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:00 am

At some point we have to STOP trading our draft picks and/or players on rookie contracts for old/overpaid vets. We need to target players whose value is likely to exceed their cost salary-wise. We have plenty enough players who are overpaid now. This is especially true in a shrinking market and with Mitchell and Gobert likely receiving new big money soon. We need the next Kuzma/Herro/Robinson. Players that are cheap but able to play and compensate for the bad decisions we have already made on expensive vets(Ed Davis, Conley)... Most everything good on this team has come from either our picks or UDFAs.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#349 » by KqWIN » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:19 pm

stitches wrote:At some point we have to STOP trading our draft picks and/or players on rookie contracts for old/overpaid vets. We need to target players whose value is likely to exceed their cost salary-wise. We have plenty enough players who are overpaid now. This is especially true in a shrinking market and with Mitchell and Gobert likely receiving new big money soon. We need the next Kuzma/Herro/Robinson. Players that are cheap but able to play and compensate for the bad decisions we have already made on expensive vets(Ed Davis, Conley)... Most everything good on this team has come from either our picks or UDFAs.

It's a fair point. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with trading draft picks. But there's definitely a trend of strengths/weaknesses that this FO has. Like you said, almost all of our success comes off the back of draft steals and UDFA's. On the other hand, executing trades when we send out draft picks has not been good.

We need to find another Ingles/O'Neale and probably another Mitchell/Gobert if we're being honest. As much as I would hate to trade our pick, I'd still be willing to do it if it brought us back a player with upside. Finding the next Lowry/Oladipo might be the way we have to do it.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#350 » by babyjax13 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:58 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I guess one more point, I think it's funny you are interested in Buddy Heild but are arguing that Tobias Harris doesn't imact winning. Harris is a much better player.

JColl
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#351 » by stitches » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:45 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:At some point we have to STOP trading our draft picks and/or players on rookie contracts for old/overpaid vets. We need to target players whose value is likely to exceed their cost salary-wise. We have plenty enough players who are overpaid now. This is especially true in a shrinking market and with Mitchell and Gobert likely receiving new big money soon. We need the next Kuzma/Herro/Robinson. Players that are cheap but able to play and compensate for the bad decisions we have already made on expensive vets(Ed Davis, Conley)... Most everything good on this team has come from either our picks or UDFAs.

It's a fair point. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with trading draft picks. But there's definitely a trend of strengths/weaknesses that this FO has. Like you said, almost all of our success comes off the back of draft steals and UDFA's. On the other hand, executing trades when we send out draft picks has not been good.

We need to find another Ingles/O'Neale and probably another Mitchell/Gobert if we're being honest. As much as I would hate to trade our pick, I'd still be willing to do it if it brought us back a player with upside. Finding the next Lowry/Oladipo might be the way we have to do it.

Trading a pick is sometimes good, when you have a healthy cap and lots of flexibility and obvious need... and when the price makes sense. But IMO we are not in that position. We are an aging team with players that are either already overpaid(Conley, Davis) or will likely be overpaid by the end of their contracts(Ingles, Bogdanovic?... depending on the next contract... maybe even Gobert?). We need cheap and/or young players that will outplay their contracts and contribute to wins for cheap.

I've been wondering... about this draft. It might be perfect opportunity to go for someone you really love if teams really don't love the draft. IMO those types of drafts are easier to trade up in. The problem is we don't really have anything to trade up with. But yeah... if someone values some of our assets more than their position in the lottery and we absolutely love some player(similar to how we snatched Mitchell), this might be a good draft to do some maneuvering.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#352 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:01 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I guess one more point, I think it's funny you are interested in Buddy Heild but are arguing that Tobias Harris doesn't imact winning. Harris is a much better player.

The difference is that Harris has been through 5 teams already, and has yet to show he makes a difference, while Hield has been stuck in Sacramento his entire career. We don't know how much of difference he could make in a good team. There is also the contract sizes to consider, and Hield's is better, I think. It's not that I think he's a superstar waiting to break out, but he looks like a good complement to Mitchell in the back court, and we really need a guy who can help DM with scoring. Another thing is that we all complain how the Jazz can't make shots way too often (even though we led the league in 3pt% if I'm not mistaken) and Hield is an excellent shooter, which we could certainly use.

Anyway, I brought it up mostly to complain about how we can't get anyone because we don't have the assets thanks to our FO's management and the Conley trade fiasco. 8-)

babyjax13
RealGM

Post#353 » by babyjax13 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I think it's too much salary going to the Kings, they'll have to send some back. We'll be sending them $43M between Conley and Royce, and they'll be sending back $24M (I'm using 2021's salaries, as currently Hield is making $4.8M). The only player they could attach to make salaries work right now is Joseph at $12M and I don't think they'll want to do that. This is also why we don't have the assets. They already have Joseph so they don't need Conley.

The difference is that Harris has been through 5 teams already, and has yet to show he makes a difference, while Hield has been stuck in Sacramento his entire career. We don't know how much of difference he could make in a good team. There is also the contract sizes to consider, and Hield's is better, I think. It's not that I think he's a superstar waiting to break out, but he looks like a good complement to Mitchell in the back court, and we really need a guy who can help DM with scoring. Another thing is that we all complain how the Jazz can't make shots way too often (even though we led the league in 3pt% if I'm not mistaken) and Hield is an excellent shooter, which we could certainly use.

Anyway, I brought it up mostly to complain about how we can't get anyone because we don't have the assets thanks to our FO's management and the Conley trade fiasco. 8-)

Well, I think you ironically brought someone up with not a ton of value because they are overpaid, are demanding out, and who has not impacted winning that much. Harris has, quite a bit. A Detroit team that is fairly unchanged since he was there is now god-awful, and a Clippers team where he replaced Griffin didn't get any worse with Harris. If a healthy Blake Griffin affected winning Harris did/does just as much. We have the assets for either one, if we think they make a difference, and I think we could make a competitive offer for Oladipo, too.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#354 » by KqWIN » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Sad thought exercise...which individual trade pieces would you prefer to have over Conley at this point? I'd take both first round picks, Jae, and Grayson Allen over Conley right now. The only piece I wouldn't take over Conley is Kyle Korver, who is on the edge of retirement. Kind of crazy that we traded the 3-4 best pieces in that deal.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#355 » by KqWIN » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:30 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

Trading a pick is sometimes good, when you have a healthy cap and lots of flexibility and obvious need... and when the price makes sense. But IMO we are not in that position. We are an aging team with players that are either already overpaid(Conley, Davis) or will likely be overpaid by the end of their contracts(Ingles, Bogdanovic?... depending on the next contract... maybe even Gobert?). We need cheap and/or young players that will outplay their contracts and contribute to wins for cheap.

I've been wondering... about this draft. It might be perfect opportunity to go for someone you really love if teams really don't love the draft. IMO those types of drafts are easier to trade up in. The problem is we don't really have anything to trade up with. But yeah... if someone values some of our assets more than their position in the lottery and we absolutely love some player(similar to how we snatched Mitchell), this might be a good draft to do some maneuvering.

We have nothing to maneuver with draft wise thanks to the Conley deal. If we were to move our pick, I'd want it to be for someone like Aaron Gordon. He's probably not going to have an Oladipo/Lowry type career renaissance, but neither is our pick. Something around Gordon+Fournier for Conley+1st, for example, is something that interests me. Probably doesn't interest Orlando, but who knows.

Fournier is a much more interesting target to me than Hield btw. He's actually younger than Hield, believe it or not.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#356 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:58 pm

To a large extent I agree with you. However, in this particular situation where Mitchell is a star but on the final year of his rookie contract, Gobert is set to make even more money in two years and there are a couple of vets that have only a couple of years left on their contracts, I think you have to go all in for at least this next year if you are the Jazz and the opportunity presents itself. Griffin is a swing for the fences move for me.

For some perspective, here are the #23 picks over the past twenty years. Picking in the 20s is rarely going to get a difference maker.
Number 23

Year Player School/Country – Team

2019 Darius Bazley, Princeton High School (OH) – Oklahoma City Thunder
2018 Aaron Holiday, UCLA – Indiana Pacers
2017 OG Anunoby, Indiana – Toronto Raptors
2016 Ante Zizic, Croatia – Boston Celtics
2015 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Arizona – Portland Trail Blazers
2014 Rodney Hood, Duke – Utah Jazz
2013 Solomon Hill, Arizona – Indiana Pacers
2012 John Jenkins, Vanderbilt – Atlanta Hawks
2011 Nikola Mirotic, Montenegro – Houston Rockets
2010 Trevor Booker, Clemson University – Minnesota Timberwolves

2000’s

2009 Omri Casspi, Israel – Sacramento Kings
2008 Kosta Koufos, Ohio State – Utah Jazz
2007 Wilson Chandler, DePaul – New York Knicks
2006 Josh Boone, Connecticut – New Jersey Nets
2005 Francisco Garcia, Louisville – Sacramento Kings
2004 Sergei Monia, CSKA Moscow (Russia) – Portland Trail Blazers
2003 Travis Outlaw, Starkville HS (Miss.) – Portland Trail Blazers
2002 Tayshaun Prince, Kentucky – Detroit Pistons
2001 Brandon Armstrong, Pepperdine – Houston Rockets
2000 DeShawn Stevenson, Washington Union HS (Calif.) – Utah Jazz
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#357 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:14 am

So apparently, the Lakers are the new NBA champions. I really didn't notice, I forgot there was even a game yesterday. I suppose congratulations are in order. I'm happy that Rondo got another ring.

I have to say, this season sucked so bad, it was awful. One of the worst seasons for me as a fan that I can remember.

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#358 » by AingesBurner » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:21 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:So apparently, the Lakers are the new NBA champions. I really didn't notice, I forgot there was even a game yesterday. I suppose congratulations are in order. I'm happy that Rondo got another ring.

I have to say, this season sucked so bad, it was awful. One of the worst seasons for me as a fan that I can remember.

I’m really only happy for Rondo, I think we as fans are sick of the WBE.
Ingles is cooked.
Denizfeital
Starter
And1: 198

Post#359 » by Denizfeital » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:12 pm

I was completely rooting for Lebron James (after The Jazz have been eliminated, of course). I don't really care about The Lakers.

He is hands down the best player alive, my favorite current player.

I am really happy for him.

Regards,

Deniz
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#360 » by FJS » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Denizfeital wrote:I was completely rooting for Lebron James (after The Jazz have been eliminated, of course). I don't really care about The Lakers.

He is hands down the best player alive, my favorite current player.

I am really happy for him.

Regards,

Deniz

Me too I'm glad for Lebron. He did not receive enough credit for all he has done.

Return to Utah Jazz