Lakers Win 2020 Title, LeBron James Named Finals MVP

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Lakers Win 2020 Title, LeBron James Named Finals MVP 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:07 am

The Los Angeles Lakers defeated the Miami Heat 106-93 in Game 6 to win the 2020 NBA Finals.

LeBron James was named Finals MVP, becoming the first player to win the award with three different franchises.

"I put myself, my body and my mind in position to be available to my teammates," James said. "I've never missed a playoff game in my career and the best thing you can do for your teammates is be available. And for me to be available to my teammates and put in the work, I just hope I make my guys proud and that's all that matters to me. I make my guys proud, make the fanbase proud, my family back home, I can't wait to get back home to them. Akron, Ohio we did it again. and that's what it's all about."

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Re: Lakers Win 2020 Title, LeBron James Named Finals MVP 

Post#2 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:58 am

Congratulations to the Lakers. They were a cut above this entire postseason, and to do it in the bubble is an extra accolade.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#3 » by captain green » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:30 am

Better give clutch sports rings too bold trade my ass that was so league tampering might as well be the old Yankees.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
digcom99
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#4 » by digcom99 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:45 am

captain green wrote:Better give clutch sports rings too bold trade my ass that was so league tampering might as well be the old Yankees.

That trade gutted the team and mortgaged their future. It easily could have backfired like the Clippers trade for Paul George. It was a huge gamble. Of course it was bold.
captain green
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by captain green » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:37 am

digcom99 wrote:
captain green wrote:Better give clutch sports rings too bold trade my ass that was so league tampering might as well be the old Yankees.

That trade gutted the team and mortgaged their future. It easily could have backfired like the Clippers trade for Paul George. It was a huge gamble. Of course it was bold.

Gutted lol receive Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three first-round picks, including the fourth overall pick in the 2019 NBA draft. Hunter and 2 low draft picks whoa gutted they replaced those bums with used goods and they were better used goods than shipped out hype. Rondo and Dwight, green deserve some ring chasing credit but I'd take those three over the so called gutted team. Pfft
digcom99
Sophomore

Post#6 » by digcom99 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 am

captain green wrote:
digcom99 wrote:

Gutted lol receive Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three first-round picks, including the fourth overall pick in the 2019 NBA draft. Hunter and 2 low draft picks whoa gutted they replaced those bums with used goods and they were better used goods than shipped out hype. Rondo and Dwight, green deserve some ring chasing credit but I'd take those three over the so called gutted team. Pfft

Maybe gutted was too strong a word. But a championship was far from guaranteed. Most “experts” picked the Clippers or Bucks to win the chip this year. And there was always the possibility (though small) that AD could walk after this season if things didn’t work out. It happened years ago with Dwight Howard. That was a disaster the Lakers took six years to recover from. But at least they rolled the dice.

So I still stick with the premise that the trade was a huge gamble, although one that had to be done because the fan base was clamoring for it.

On a side note, i believe Ainge should have traded for AD when he had the chance. The Celts had much better assets than the Lakers did. If the Celtics win a ring, which i believe they would with him, AD doesn’t leave, no matter what his agents says. He did it before with Kevin Garnett. He wanted to be traded to the Lakers and play with Kobe. But once in Boston, Garnett bought into the culture. I will never understand why Ainge didn’t try to steal a player who wanted to go the LA again. That strategy worked wonders once. Through hindsight, it’s easy to debate this but I’m glad this worked out the way it did.
captain green
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by captain green » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 am

digcom99 wrote:
captain green wrote:
digcom99 wrote:

Maybe gutted was the wrong word. But a championship was far from guaranteed. Most “experts” picked the Clippers or Bucks to win the chip this year. And there was always the possibility (though small) that AD could walk after this season if things didn’t turn out right. Much like what happened with Dwight Howard years ago. That was a disaster the Lakers took six years to recover from But at least they rolled the dice.

So I still stick with the premise that the trade was a huge gamble, although one that had to be done because the fan base was clamoring for it.

On a side note, i believe Ainge should have traded for AD when he had the chance. The Celts had way better assets than the Lakers did. If the Celtics win a ring, which i believe they would have with him, AD doesn’t leave, no matter what his agents says. It happened before with Kevin Garnett. He wanted to be traded to the Lakers and play with Kobe. But once in Boston, he bought into the culture. I will never understand why Ainge didn’t try that strategy again. Through hindsight, it’s easy to say now, but I’m glad this worked out the way it did.

Listen I'm not delusional nor surprised I'm only mad because there were 4 more better offers. I for one was not in getting ad at all would it have won us a ring absolutely increases the chances. Also thought clippers were the favorite. Only team I thought could beat Celtics was bucks. So nothing is certain at all I concur. I don't like tampering and the league agreed. Oh well la has 12 championships onward to next year money well spent.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#8 » by tigerae » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:18 am

captain green wrote:
digcom99 wrote:
captain green wrote:Gutted lol receive Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three first-round picks, including the fourth overall pick in the 2019 NBA draft. Hunter and 2 low draft picks whoa gutted they replaced those bums with used goods and they were better used goods than shipped out hype. Rondo and Dwight, green deserve some ring chasing credit but I'd take those three over the so called gutted team. Pfft

Maybe gutted was the wrong word. But a championship was far from guaranteed. Most “experts” picked the Clippers or Bucks to win the chip this year. And there was always the possibility (though small) that AD could walk after this season if things didn’t turn out right. Much like what happened with Dwight Howard years ago. That was a disaster the Lakers took six years to recover from But at least they rolled the dice.

On a side note, i believe Ainge should have traded for AD when he had the chance. The Celts had way better assets than the Lakers did. If the Celtics win a ring, which i believe they would have with him, AD doesn’t leave, no matter what his agents says. It happened before with Kevin Garnett. He wanted to be traded to the Lakers and play with Kobe. But once in Boston, he bought into the culture. I will never understand why Ainge didn’t try that strategy again. Through hindsight, it’s easy to say now, but I’m glad this worked out the way it did.

Listen I'm not delusional nor surprised I'm only mad because there were 4 more better offers. I for one was not in getting ad at all would it have won us a ring absolutely increases the chances. Also thought clippers were the favorite. Only team I thought could beat Celtics was bucks. So nothing is certain at all I concur. I don't like tampering and the league agreed. Oh well la has 12 championships onward to next year money well spent.
I don't know what better offers you're talking about. The Celtics had no interest in having Tatum or Brown on the table without guarantees and those were the only trade chips that could have made a better offer from the teams involved. Knicks had nothing, especially after not getting the number 1 pick.

Ingram has showed glimpses of greatness and Ball and Hart are still very young. All Ball is missing is a decent jump shot. His playmaking skills are top notch. If Hart can work on his 3s and defense and become a 3D player, you never know. Then Hunter and the other picks to top it off is more potential if they pick right.

Not to say they will be all be amazing players, but that's what happens when you trade for young pieces. It becomes a process where you have to work and bring out greatness, if it's possible.

This trade will need to be measured in 5 to 10 years and also know that the longer Davis stayed the more drama and chemistry issues were going to show up. Also offers would have left the table, allowing the Lakers to offer even less or just move on to someone else. How will all those pieces work by then. Like the Pau Gasol trade to the Lakers. Most people forget that Memphis got Marc Gasol in that trade, who gave them a lot of great years.
digcom99
Sophomore

Post#9 » by digcom99 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:36 am

There’s no question Boston had the best assets to give out of any other team. Whether or not Ainge would have offered Tatum, Brown and the boat load of draft picks he’s been hoarding is the big ????

And I actually wasn’t a fan of the Laker trade for AD because I thought we gave up too much, i knew Ingram was ready for a breakout year and i was worried Davis would walk after one season. This just shows why I’m not a GM.

I’m just happy i was able to watch us catch the Celtics in franchise championships. I’m old enough to have witnessed all 12 LA titles so this one was sweet.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,830

Post#10 » by Beethoven » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:50 pm

Congrats to the LeBron AD Lakers !!

Men amongst boys.

Championship right back where it belongs. Enjoy los Angeles.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#11 » by TheCage4 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:28 pm

“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Discussion