ImageImageImageImageImage

Why

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

James2000
Sophomore
And1: 27

Why 

Post#1 » by James2000 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:44 pm

Why is most of everyone want to trade Paul George? I understand that we collapse in the second round but by looking at the series, we could have beat the nuggets in Game 5 or latest Game 6... Our supporting cast didn't do their job to back our stars... I think that we don't need a huge overhaul but build our two glaring weaknesses which is the big man position and point guard position.... while we got two stars, development is the key... what do you all think about it?
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Mocking The Bust 

Post#2 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:04 pm

From larrybrownsports.com

Larry Brown, not to be confused with coach Larry Brown or the Larry O'Brien trophy A.K.A. Larry-O.B. wrote:"I think internally, we always felt this is not a championship-or-bust year for us,” George said after the game. “We can only get better the longer we stay together, the more we’re around each other. The more chemistry for this group, the better. We just didn’t have enough time together."

This quote was deemed an insult to the Clippers organization. They traded an NBA record seven picks (two of them swaps), a promising point guard in Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, and role starter Danilo Gallinari for him. The kicker: Kawhi Leonard would only sign with the Clippers if they could get another superstar; if they didn't, he was going somewhere else.

Losing in the fashion they did put them one step closer to the Lottery Apocalypse, where they will be without a pick for the next seven years, meanwhile facing a playoff drought of 10 years, possibly longer. The Clippers have the longest playoff drought in NBA history with 15 years, from 1976-1991 - if they don't get their act together, fast, there's a great chance that record gets broken. Clippers would have to rely on their G-League affiliate the Agua Caliente Clippers and undrafted players for any chance at a rebuild. Even trading George signals a forced rebuild, as many YouTube videos I've seen of this topic center on the Clippers bringing back lesser talent and picks, leaving Leonard as the only star. Not many people bring this up, so I will: if George is traded, Leonard may want out.

That's why it's a big deal. That 3-1 collapse is historically considered the greatest collapse in NBA history, one that could put the Clippers back into the dark ages when Donald Sterling was owner, something they desperately wish to avoid at any cost.
James2000
Sophomore

Re: Mocking The Bust 

Post#3 » by James2000 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:36 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:From larrybrownsports.com

Larry Brown, not to be confused with coach Larry Brown or the Larry O'Brien trophy A.K.A. Larry-O.B. wrote:"I think internally, we always felt this is not a championship-or-bust year for us,” George said after the game. “We can only get better the longer we stay together, the more we’re around each other. The more chemistry for this group, the better. We just didn’t have enough time together."

This quote was deemed an insult to the Clippers organization. They traded an NBA record seven picks (two of them swaps), a promising point guard in Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, and role starter Danilo Gallinari for him. The kicker: Kawhi Leonard would only sign with the Clippers if they could get another superstar; if they didn't, he was going somewhere else.

Losing in the fashion they did put them one step closer to the Lottery Apocalypse, where they will be without a pick for the next seven years, meanwhile facing a playoff drought of 10 years, possibly longer. The Clippers have the longest playoff drought in NBA history with 15 years, from 1976-1991 - if they don't get their act together, fast, there's a great chance that record gets broken. Clippers would have to rely on their G-League affiliate the Agua Caliente Clippers and undrafted players for any chance at a rebuild. Even trading George signals a forced rebuild, as many YouTube videos I've seen of this topic center on the Clippers bringing back lesser talent and picks, leaving Leonard as the only star. Not many people bring this up, so I will: if George is traded, Leonard may want out.

That's why it's a big deal. That 3-1 collapse is historically considered the greatest collapse in NBA history, one that could put the Clippers back into the dark ages when Donald Sterling was owner, something they desperately wish to avoid at any cost.

I think when Paul George said that, he was misspoken because of the fact that he was trying to deflect the loss from the team.

I agree with everything that you said on here. 7 draft picks and a rising talent is not good for anyone at the time. However, this was the only thing that we could do to get Kawhi based upon he wanted another star to help him out. While Paul George struggled, I still think by Doc rivers leaving might caused Kawhi to feel slighted.

The only thing that we read from the report was that Ballmer talked with them. We don't know what they said because the report said that this was Ballmer call only. I think that maybe Kawhi want to keep Doc...

I seriously think that this is the year next year that the clippers are on the clock to do something or that could affect them for the next 7 to 10 years...
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Re: Why 

Post#4 » by Clemenza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:49 am

PG is going to come back on fire and stronger than ever next season. He has to after all this suffocating slander he faced. If not then he doesn't have a pulse and the team will not resign him since he'll be a free agent after next season
James2000
Sophomore

Post#5 » by James2000 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:57 am

Clemenza wrote:PG is going to come back on fire and stronger than ever next season. He has to after all this suffocating slander he faced. If not then he doesn't have a pulse and the team will not resign him since he'll be a free agent after next season

Don't forget that both Kawhi and Paul George could be free agents. This could have a negative effect on the team.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#6 » by Clemenza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:25 am

James2000 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:PG is going to come back on fire and stronger than ever next season. He has to after all this suffocating slander he faced. If not then he doesn't have a pulse and the team will not resign him since he'll be a free agent after next season

Don't forget that both Kawhi and Paul George could be free agents. This could have a negative effect on the team.

Its whatever.. Lakers about to win another championship got me bummed so I don't even give a sh*t
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#7 » by TheNewEra » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:38 am

On to next season the marathon continues
James2000
Sophomore

Post#8 » by James2000 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:42 am

Clemenza wrote:
James2000 wrote:

Its whatever.. Lakers about to win another championship got me bummed so I don't even give a sh*t

Well don't feel bad... its going to be ok.. sometimes the team need a reset... look at the Cavs... they got a new coach and they won a championship...
TinoDubs
Junior
And1: 45

Post#9 » by TinoDubs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:33 am

If the Clippers did not make that trade for PG13, then Kawhi will not come PERIOD. That was a trade for 2 super stars. Everyone in the league will do a same.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#10 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:54 am

you are obviously a Laker fan that has been trolling this board to annoy Clipper fans for as long as I can remember. I guess it brings you some type of perverse joy. Oh well- whatever makes you happy
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#11 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:49 pm

TinoDubs wrote:If the Clippers did not make that trade for PG13, then Kawhi will not come PERIOD. That was a trade for 2 super stars. Everyone in the league will do a same.

2 superstars in their primes, no less.

3 of our picks, 2 Miami picks...the 2021 Miami 1st rounder was a nice asset a couple of years ago, not nearly as much now. The 2023 Miami 1st rounder is protected.

There are also pick swaps too of course. But when you have an opportunity to land both Kawhi and PG, you have to evaluate the move based on the upside, not the downside. Does the FO believe in their ability to maximize these 2 talents together over the course of 2 years, such that they'll likely re-sign? If so, the pick swaps are irrelevant, and the 3 1sts will be low picks (where you're generally hoping for good role players or back ups.)

Yes there's a chance it could blow up in their face, but this was the opportunity presented before them and it was definitely the right move to jump on it. If Kawhi and PG leave in a year, it won't mean the Clippers made a bad trade, it will mean they failed AFTER the trade.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#12 » by clipperlover » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:04 pm

James2000 wrote:

While Paul George struggled, I still think by Doc rivers leaving might caused Kawhi to feel slighted.

The only thing that we read from the report was that Ballmer talked with them. We don't know what they said because the report said that this was Ballmer call only. I think that maybe Kawhi want to keep Doc...

I don't think Kawhi was invested in Doc either way. He didn't come here because of Doc. He isn't leaving here because of Doc. Who knows, Kawhi could have looked at Doc's play calling and dreamed of Nick Nurse. He could have watched as Doc sat arms folded on the bench and dreamed for Pop getting on players.

The only thing that matters is next year and Kawhi and PG will be hungry.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#13 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:07 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:

you are obviously a Laker fan that has been trolling this board to annoy Clipper fans for as long as I can remember. I guess it brings you some type of perverse joy. Oh well- whatever makes you happy

if you put him on block list you never have to read this stuff again.

it's like he goes away...

forever..........!!
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#14 » by esqtvd » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:13 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
TinoDubs wrote:If the Clippers did not make that trade for PG13, then Kawhi will not come PERIOD. That was a trade for 2 super stars. Everyone in the league will do a same.

3 of our picks, 2 Miami picks...the 2021 Miami 1st rounder was a nice asset a couple of years ago, not nearly as much now. The 2023 Miami 1st rounder is protected.

There are also pick swaps too of course. But when you have an opportunity to land both Kawhi and PG, you have to evaluate the move based on the upside, not the downside. Does the FO believe in their ability to maximize these 2 talents together over the course of 2 years, such that they'll likely re-sign? If so, the pick swaps are irrelevant, and the 3 1sts will be low picks (where you're generally hoping for good role players or back ups.)

Yes there's a chance it could blow up in their face, but this was the opportunity presented before them and it was definitely the right move to jump on it. If Kawhi and PG leave in a year, it won't mean the Clippers made a bad trade, it will mean they failed AFTER the trade.

Exactly. Just because something didn't work, it doesn't mean it was a mistake--or in the least, that it wasn't worth trying. That's scared thinking, that's juvenile thinking.

That said, I don't know if they thought through the character and "basketball IQ" questions when acquiring PG and building the roster around him and Kawhi. As Fred Roggin calls it, the Name Game--grabbing at reputations rather than at the person and the player himself--for what he is but also for what he can be to the team. Kawhi, Zu and Trezz played at career-high levels but virtually everyone else went backwards.

This was supposed to be a bunch of heady, cool, and gritty pros but as a team they showed themselves as stupid, panicky and gutless. Nothing that a brain and heart transplant won't fix, I guess. :lol:
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#15 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 pm

esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Exactly. Just because something didn't work, it doesn't mean it was a mistake--or in the least, that it wasn't worth trying. That's scared thinking, that's juvenile thinking.

That said, I don't know if they thought through the character and "basketball IQ" questions when acquiring PG and building the roster around him and Kawhi. As Fred Roggin calls it, the Name Game--grabbing at reputations rather than at the person and the player himself--for what he is but also for what he can be to the team. Kawhi, Zu and Trezz played at career-high levels but virtually everyone else went backwards.

This was supposed to be a bunch of heady, cool, and gritty pros but as a team they showed themselves as stupid, panicky and gutless. Nothing that a brain and heart transplant won't fix, I guess. :lol:

Great quote!

We definitely failed in the bolded parts. I think our disappointing season comes down to a combination of coaching, roster fit, and on court chemistry. I think the 3rd is mostly a product of the first two. I mean I still think we should have beaten Denver, but this team was clearly out of answers by series end.

I also think we are trying to address all of them with the head coaching change, and likely roster moves to come this offseason. Whether they will be great or even just pretty good roster moves is not completely in our control (you have to have trade partners to make good trades), but I do believe they are going to go hard because they know what's at stake.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 147

Post#16 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:57 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:you are obviously a Laker fan that has been trolling this board to annoy Clipper fans for as long as I can remember. I guess it brings you some type of perverse joy. Oh well- whatever makes you happy

Hmm, interesting thought...
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,167

Post#17 » by og15 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:30 am

People tend to always think the grass is greener, and something new is generally more hopeful than building on the same thing.

Of course one season in a situation is usually a bad marker for making moves, but I'm assuming it's a mix of the grass is greener mentality and the fear of "what if we lost him and/or Kawh for nothing", so better cash in now.

I don't believe in making trades just to satisfy the trade itch, which sometimes it seems like what people want.

George is in no way, "untouchable" to me, but any trade involving him should be a clear improvement trade, not simply a "well it's okay" trade.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 147

Post#18 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:32 pm

What are your thoughts on this, guys?

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#19 » by TheNewEra » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Dame and CJ taking shots over nothing