Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though. 

Post#1 » by Floody100 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:44 am

I’ll give credit where credit is due. If he can win a couple of more titles than he has a chance to surpass MJ but it’s hard for me to give someone the ‘GOAT’ status when they’ve lost more finals than they’ve won, especially when the guy he’s trying to pass has never lost a final.
dreamshake
Starter
And1: 2,449

Re: Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though. 

Post#2 » by dreamshake » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:46 am

Thank God someone made a thread to let us know their thoughts about MJ vs LeBron
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,306

Post#3 » by D.Brasco » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:47 am

Michael Jordan lost more than he won as well. Losing in the first round or not making the playoffs is not better than losing in the finals.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,027

Post#4 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:52 am

He's always had the number 2 spot solified. I still think MJ is GOAT though.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,835

Post#5 » by Sofia » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:54 am

Floody100 wrote:I’ll give credit where credit is due. If he can win a couple of more titles than he has a chance to surpass MJ but it’s hard for me to give someone the ‘GOAT’ status when they’ve lost more finals than they’ve won, especially when the guy he’s trying to pass has never lost a final.

Real winners lose early.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#6 » by GreenBloodedC » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:56 am

When Jordan became the undisputed best player in the league, he never lost in the Playoffs other than when he came back after leaving the league.

When LeBron became the undisputed best player in the league, he lost multiple times in the finals.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#7 » by JN61 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:58 am

I still have Kareem ahead of him. He needs one MVP/FMVP and pass him on the scoring to pass Kareem and few more championships and MVP to pass Jordan. Now in my books he is ahead of Russell, which I know not everyone will agree on.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#8 » by deneem4 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:00 am

If Lebron 3 peated in Miami he might have a chance but Jordan did it twice that’s the difference regardless
How many players won 3 times in a row twice
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,856

Post#9 » by Dutchball97 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:04 am

I agree on MJ #1 and Bron #2 but like I've been saying on all these GOAT threads, it's just an opinion.
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#10 » by Alize » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:06 am

Lebron is the goat. Jordan couldnt do these things at 35.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,208

Post#11 » by Patches Perry » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:07 am

Jordan was the best player of his era for sure.
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#12 » by Alize » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:07 am

Do you mean 3peat first round exits?
deneem4 wrote:If Lebron 3 peated in Miami he might have a chance but Jordan did it twice that’s the difference regardless
How many players won 3 times in a row twice

bellabiyel
Pro Prospect
And1: 743

Post#13 » by bellabiyel » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:09 am

i dont care we are the champs baby!!!
AUSTHIM REAVES
Young gun 6
Analyst
And1: 6,008

Post#14 » by Young gun 6 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:11 am

It’ll never be good enough for some.

So many said if he could take out the unbeatable Warriors then he’d be the GOAT.

He did that down 3-1.

Then it was oh no he needs to win another one or with a third franchise...

So many said if he wins another one at a 3rd team that’s it he’s the GOAT.

He does it...oh if he wins another title or two THEN he’s the GOAT.

There’s nothing he hasn’t done and nothing more he has to prove. He’s the GOAT.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#15 » by Floody100 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:12 am

Alize wrote:Lebron is the goat. Jordan couldnt do these things at 35.

He did though .... lol
2klegend
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#16 » by 2klegend » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:13 am

I often see the argument of winning the title for 3 different teams and longevity as some kinds of legit brownie point for GOAT discussion is lame. A title is a title. If Kawhi ends up winning another title, does that make him a GOAT level player?

For longevity talk, let be honest here. If MJ realized the ramification of retiring for two seasons and what it did to his legacy as far as longevity, he would have kept playing until the wheel fell off. As a matter of fact, I view that as MJ giving other players the opportunity to chase down his accolades because had he played in those two seasons and the potential accolades he could have gotten vs the already impressive resume, the distance between him vs 2nd guy would be HUGE. The fact he was so dominant with limit seasons played just to show how insane his resume really is. Lebron is the only current player with statistical data, eye-test, and accolades to come close to MJ resume just show why MJ is still the GOAT. Lebron has an uphill battle to chase MJ but he has a chance nonetheless. He just needs to show me that in future years. We all shall witness if he can do it or not.
My Top 100+ GOAT (Peak, Prime, Longevity, Award):
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1464952
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,157

Post#17 » by Mr Puddles » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 am

Floody100 wrote: it’s hard for me to give someone the ‘GOAT’ status when they’ve lost more finals than they’ve won, especially when the guy he’s trying to pass has never lost a final.

It puzzles me how people continue to use the "losing in the finals" argument.

Using that same logic, let's say Jordan had led his team to the finals 4 more times but failed to beat the western conference opponent - would he be considered a worse player now? You'd basically be arguing that if he had led his team to more wins and greater playoff success, he'd be a worse player.

Why is losing in the finals a blemish on your resume, but not making it to the finals isn't?
Spoiler:
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#18 » by 70sFan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:26 am

LeBron has solidified his 2nd spot, Jordan is still 4th all-time behind Russell though. I think that James still has a chance to surpass Kareem.
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,069

Post#19 » by Sgt Major » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:29 am

Agreed.

His Airness is different.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#20 » by Braggins » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:30 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
Floody100 wrote: it’s hard for me to give someone the ‘GOAT’ status when they’ve lost more finals than they’ve won, especially when the guy he’s trying to pass has never lost a final.

It puzzles me how people continue to use the "losing in the finals" argument.

Using that same logic, let's say Jordan had led his team to the finals 4 more times but failed to beat the western conference opponent - would he be considered a worse player now? You'd basically be arguing that if he had lead his team to more wins and greater playoff success, he'd be a worse player.

Why is losing to the finals a blemish on your resume, but not making it to the finals isn't?

Its always been obviously silly, but it just hit me that these people literally think that conference championships have negative value for a players legacy...

Jimmy Butler really hurt his legacy this year by winning an Eastern Conference championship.

Return to The General Board