Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Re: ***Around The League 2020 Bubble Thread*** 

Post#541 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:13 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:Image

Lebron is afraid to take the last shot of the game. Always calls the screen to force the pass. Instead he just needs to iso, two dribble pull up midrange jumper for the win. Take it in your own hands instead of throw your teammates under the bus after they miss.

Coaches always get berated by fans by going to iso-ball at the end of games, now we're berating LeBron for not going iso?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#542 » by UnFadeable21 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:30 am

Klomp wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Image

Lebron is afraid to take the last shot of the game. Always calls the screen to force the pass. Instead he just needs to iso, two dribble pull up midrange jumper for the win. Take it in your own hands instead of throw your teammates under the bus after they miss.

Coaches always get berated by fans by going to iso-ball at the end of games, now we're berating LeBron for not going iso?

No one is saying Lebron James played bad last night. I’m simply saying he had space to shoot the last shot over Jimmy Butler for the win & again, chose not too.

The excuse of “he made the right play” gets old. Two dribbles pull up midrange for the NBAFinals before any double team or help defense comes.

All or nothing 1 on 1, game on the line!
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#543 » by Jedzz » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Jimmy scoring 22 with 6 assists in first half of game 5. Heat lead by 4. I like how when he was here he was treated like a third scorer, third wheel by so many. As if.

Nobody treated him as a third wheel.

Yes, yes they did.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#544 » by Neeva » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:19 am

Looks like Herro came back down to earth, his hype was getting ridiculous. Same with Bam.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#545 » by Jedzz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:33 am

Neeva wrote:Looks like Herro came back down to earth, his hype was getting ridiculous. Same with Bam.
Those two were nasty this game, the last two games. Spo was was worst coach on the planet today tho. No excuses for his lack of adjustments early in this game, besides maybe he bet against his own team. Three cheers for gambling in sports.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,705

Post#546 » by minimus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:52 am

Also I am happy for Rondo! He has been phenomenal for LAL!
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#547 » by Calinks » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:36 pm

Dwight Howard got a ring too and he earned, dude has shown some nice energy for being so deep in his career and kind of fizzling out a few years ago.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
minimus
RealGM

Post#548 » by minimus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:45 pm

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM

Post#549 » by minimus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:35 pm

In an era trending toward small-ball, the Lakers had the tallest starting lineup (average of 6'8") by an NBA champion since 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/jaf3rw/oc_in_an_era_trending_toward_smallball_the_lakers/
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#550 » by Calinks » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:26 pm

minimus wrote:
In an era trending toward small-ball, the Lakers had the tallest starting lineup (average of 6'8") by an NBA champion since 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/jaf3rw/oc_in_an_era_trending_toward_smallball_the_lakers/

Just takes a couple of teams to pull it off before it could be a trend. I don't think 3-Ball NBA is going anywhere but yea there are few teams who are running two "real" bigs. I think it can be effective with the right combination. Lakers were massive.

I still think we could possibly see huge success with KAT at the 4 and another big at the 5. They probably still need to be able to shoot but if we could get a big defender next to KAT it could really change our entire defense around.
minimus
RealGM

Post#551 » by minimus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:44 pm

Calinks wrote:
minimus wrote:

Just takes a couple of teams to pull it off before it could be a trend. I don't think 3-Ball NBA is going anywhere but yea there are few teams who are running two "real" bigs. I think it can be effective with the right combination. Lakers were massive.

I still think we could possibly see huge success with KAT at the 4 and another big at the 5. They probably still need to be able to shoot but if we could get a big defender next to KAT it could really change our entire defense around.

Yes, I think we need to build our identity first but at the end of the day, you build around your best players.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#552 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:04 pm

Calinks wrote:
minimus wrote:

People are way overreacting to this by claiming it was a major factor in their success. Reality is they had LeBron James and Anthony Davis, two of the most skilled and versatile players in the NBA. It simply cannot be replicated easily. And at the end of the day, the second bigs they added next to Davis played 15.7 (Howard) and 9.6 minutes (McGee) per game in the playoffs.....meaning for 23 minutes a game, they too were playing small-ball. In Game 6, they combined for a total playing time of 1 minute, 6 seconds. LeBron is the only other player after Davis, McGee and Howard who is taller than 6-foot-8.

So sure, if we can find another LeBron James laying around on the offseason scrap heap, let's pick him up and try to replicate it. In the meantime, I'm personally not going to overreact.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#553 » by gandlogo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:21 pm

minimus wrote:

The wording is very telling to me - starting lineup. Howard started five games in the finals and averaged about 12 minutes per game. McGee didn’t play a single minute in the finals. Even the Heat seldom played Bam and Olynk at the same time. The traditional large front courts are the battleships of WWII. Posting up is largely gone too. I thought the videos you posted about the Wolves 5 Out offense compared to KAT posting up really shined a light on how spacing is king now.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#554 » by Calinks » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 pm

I won't disagree, that's the game today. I still think its possible to take advantage of having two bigs but yea, its much harder to make that work. Posting up is definitely on it's death bed. Makes very little sense to spend so much time posting AND having to deal with more contact. Bigs get absolutely shafted in today's game. They can still be hacked, scratched, and played physically while guards can't be breathed on. The path of least resistance is not playing in the paint with a big.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#555 » by shangrila » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:35 pm

Calinks wrote:I won't disagree, that's the game today. I still think its possible to take advantage of having two bigs but yea, its much harder to make that work. Posting up is definitely on it's death bed. Makes very little sense to spend so much time posting AND having to deal with more contact. Bigs get absolutely shafted in today's game. They can still be hacked, scratched, and played physically while guards can't be breathed on. The path of least resistance is not playing in the paint with a big.

As always it's about the matchups.

If you have 7 footers that can switch onto guards defensively then you can easily go with a twin towers lineup. The issue is that those are unicorns and so the majority of teams have to go small to matchup with all the other teams that have gone small. Especially in the playoffs where even a single bad matchups can sink a team.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#556 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:19 pm

Neeva wrote:Looks like Herro came back down to earth, his hype was getting ridiculous. Same with Bam.

Herro is a decent player who had a nice run. He is far from being a star at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Culver ends up the better player.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#557 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:20 pm

minimus wrote:

Big and skillful beats small and skillful almost every time.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#558 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:23 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Fun vid. :D
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#559 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:25 pm

Calinks wrote:
minimus wrote:

One of the best posts in a long time.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#560 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:

People are way overreacting to this by claiming it was a major factor in their success. Reality is they had LeBron James and Anthony Davis, two of the most skilled and versatile players in the NBA. It simply cannot be replicated easily. And at the end of the day, the second bigs they added next to Davis played 15.7 (Howard) and 9.6 minutes (McGee) per game in the playoffs.....meaning for 23 minutes a game, they too were playing small-ball. In Game 6, they combined for a total playing time of 1 minute, 6 seconds. LeBron is the only other player after Davis, McGee and Howard who is taller than 6-foot-8.

So sure, if we can find another LeBron James laying around on the offseason scrap heap, let's pick him up and try to replicate it. In the meantime, I'm personally not going to overreact.

LeBron James and Anthony Davis aren't small yet you consider them to be small ball. They are big. Big and skillful beats small and skillful almost every time. You are correct that it is difficult to find big and skillful guys so when you get a chance to get them duh... get them. Come on Wiseman or Okongwu.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves