ImageImageImage

Brandon Ingram vs Ben Simmons

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Brandon Ingram vs Ben Simmons 

Post#1 » by Norseman79 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:27 pm

I have seen many, myself included, trying to figure out how to land Ben Simmons, but what about Brandon Ingram? I am really curious to hear thoughts on potentially working out a sign and trade for Ingram vs Simmons.

Obviously Simmons is a plus defender and facilitator, but Ingram is plus shooter and scorer. Ingram's defense isn't all world, but it isn't horrific either.

Would something like Beasley, Johnson, and the 1 be enough for Ingram?

Russell
Culver
Ingram
??? (Juancho, FA, or draft pick like Precious)
Towns

Thoughts?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Re: Brandon Ingram vs Ben Simmons 

Post#2 » by minimus » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:51 pm

David Griffin will ask every our trading asset
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,965

Post#3 » by Domejandro » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:19 pm

Ben Simmons is substantially better.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#4 » by Baseline81 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:38 pm

Why would the Pelicans want to trade Ingram? Isn't he and Zion the team's cornerstones?
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#5 » by Norseman79 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:00 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Why would the Pelicans want to trade Ingram? Isn't he and Zion the team's cornerstones?

Ingram's contract is up I believe. Are they willing to pay him what he wants? Is he worth a Max?

My question is, is it worth going after Ingram? If nothing else it drives his contract price up and takes more money away from another Western Conference team.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#6 » by minimus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:06 am

I also don't like a fit here. I mean I'd prefer a dynamic slasher, defender next DLo and KAT, rather than a 'static' shooter. Booker, Simmons, PG13 might be a better 3rd star skillswise.
Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Post#7 » by Midw35t » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:20 am

I much prefer Ingram to Simmons.

I would give up the #1 for him in a heartbeat.

Pelicans are not giving him up though. He was the centerpiece for AD, and is blossoming into a star.

They have Lonzo as a point defender and passer, Ingram as a budding star switchable wing, Zion #1 overall, picks of their own, LA picks, and Jrue who I think they move for more assets. I believe they have something special brewing.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#8 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Ingram is RFA and will get the 5 year max.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#9 » by Jedzz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:49 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Ingram is RFA and will get the 5 year max.

Ask a wolves fan about any player not here that can play solid basketball and they are all worth a 5 year max.

Idk about Ingram, but just sayin. plenty of good basketball players in this league not making the Max. Stop maxing everyone. hand out more 3 year deals.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#10 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Jedzz wrote:

Ask a wolves fan about any player not here that can play solid basketball and they are all worth a 5 year max.

Idk about Ingram, but just sayin. plenty of good basketball players in this league not making the Max. Stop maxing everyone. hand out more 3 year deals.

Small market team, you have to retain your own.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#11 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:40 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Small market team, you have to retain your own.

You don't have to do Jack. It's exactly that kind of thinking the got Wiggins maxed, Jimmy to Bolt and places the team where they are now...still trying to create anything.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#12 » by jpatrick » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:06 pm

Jedzz, you think he won’t get the max? I actually think N.O. Might play hardball to get it down slightly but I’d he doesn’t get the max, it’ll be pretty close to it, whether from NO or elsewhere.

And for the record, I think Simmons is substantially better but Ingram is very good.

I’m finding myself more and more in the, as long as background shows he’s a guy that is really going to work on his game, let’s just roll with Ball and see if these guys can work it out. Ball/Russell both have height/length and BBIQ.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#13 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:43 am

jpatrick wrote:Jedzz, you think he won’t get the max? I actually think N.O. Might play hardball to get it down slightly but I’d he doesn’t get the max, it’ll be pretty close to it, whether from NO or elsewhere.

And for the record, I think Simmons is substantially better but Ingram is very good.

I’m finding myself more and more in the, as long as background shows he’s a guy that is really going to work on his game, let’s just roll with Ball and see if these guys can work it out. Ball/Russell both have height/length and BBIQ.

Simmons shouldn't have gotten maxed. Not until he shows a willingness to work on improving his shortcomings. Hasn't yet.

More players should be forced to test FA waters. If you lose them, so be it. You can always go find true well rounded players getting jilted on deals and lure them in. Unless you really feel there is proof they are allstars, I wouldn't be concerned about losing them.

I think Ingram showed a jump up this season shooting over 6 threes/g and his average went up to a very nice range! That's a very good sign. I'm not sure that he's any kind of defender that will help here however.

Not sure where the ball talk fits here but I'll keep my opinion on that out of this. Other than someone could say he's a lot cheaper than Simmons who has already proven no shot depths. If Ball comes with great passing as claimed, he's got a chance to be as some portion of as effective as Simmons would be here unless Simmons would somehow be used as a PF here without being able to shoot 3s.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves