Random Rumors and Trade Board General Thoughts Thread

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Re: Trade Board General Thoughts Thread 

Post#101 » by Buzzard » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:37 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:I think many cans will be disappointed because owners will make financial decisions over basketball decisions.

They will point to preserving space for 2021 free agency but it really is a way to keep the cap number down.

The teams willing to spend will get value free agent signings

I think they should bring back the amnesty again

They should keep the cap flat at 109 but I am not of the opinion that the big spenders should get another amnesty. No one held a gun to these owners heads for some of these crazy contracts.

GSW, 76ers, Nets, Celtics, Bucks need to be held accountable for their spending.

I'm fine with no amnesty but teams make moves on cap projections provided by the league. And the league doesn't want contenders not improving their teams because of this unexpected financial situation. I don't blame any team for not seeing a pandemic coming in the summer of 2019.

If the revenue losses are 20 - 25%, that would be a projected cap of 90 million or less. I agree and think a flat cap is the best compromise.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#102 » by Warriorfan » Fri Oct 9, 2020 2:55 am

Buzzard wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Buzzard wrote:They should keep the cap flat at 109 but I am not of the opinion that the big spenders should get another amnesty. No one held a gun to these owners heads for some of these crazy contracts.

GSW, 76ers, Nets, Celtics, Bucks need to be held accountable for their spending.

I'm fine with no amnesty but teams make moves on cap projections provided by the league. And the league doesn't want contenders not improving their teams because of this unexpected financial situation. I don't blame any team for not seeing a pandemic coming in the summer of 2019.

If the revenue losses are 20 - 25%, that would be a projected cap of 90 million or less. I agree and think a flat cap is the best compromise.

They are all billionaires but million dollar penalties hurt everyone.

Even though Lacob is not one of the richest owners I doubt he would use it on Wiggins.

76ers one of the only teams that come to mind with amnesty player.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#103 » by Buzzard » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:02 am

Warriorfan wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

They are all billionaires but million dollar penalties hurt everyone.

Even though Lacob is not one of the richest owners I doubt he would use it on Wiggins. Rockets are looking to cut salary and I think OKC would too.

Only 5 teams look to be in the luxury so its not dooms day if it stays at 109 without a amnesty. GSW, 76ers, Nets, Celtics, Bucks. The Celtics can get out of it by simply moving 5 - 10 million around. As its been pointed out many times, we are talking about 20-25% loss in revenue; not a loss putting the NBA in the red for profits.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#104 » by Crizzle » Fri Oct 9, 2020 3:43 am

You are the grizzlies. After this year you have all of your own future 1sts as well as ones owed from Utah and GSW. Ja, JJJ, and probaby Clarke are off limits. Say they land pick 10 or similar in the 2021 draft. What would you be willing to give up to trade up and grab the wing of the teams future?
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,673

Post#105 » by the_process » Fri Oct 9, 2020 12:30 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:All Westbrook trades should be DOA imo. Nobody wants to offer anything, they just want a top 10-15 player in the league for cap space. Houston didn't make that trade a year ago just to throw him away, along with any chance at getting Harden a title, a year later.

Houston would be better getting a cheaper guard who plays similarly along with a real C who can stretch the floor in exchange for Westbrook. And let's not pretend Fertitta isn't cheap.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#106 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 9, 2020 1:36 pm

the_process wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:All Westbrook trades should be DOA imo. Nobody wants to offer anything, they just want a top 10-15 player in the league for cap space. Houston didn't make that trade a year ago just to throw him away, along with any chance at getting Harden a title, a year later.

Houston would be better getting a cheaper guard who plays similarly along with a real C who can stretch the floor in exchange for Westbrook. And let's not pretend Fertitta isn't cheap.

I don’t think Fertitta is cheap, or that he wants to be cheap. He may, however, need to save some money somewhere across his businesses if COVID continues to keep good chunks of his major empire shut down. But, otherwise, he spent above market price to buy The Rockets. If COVID wasn’t still a thing, I bet he’s spend pretty solidly that we would never call him “cheap”.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,330

Post#107 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Congrats to the Lakers (and the Heat) on the title. Reminder to everyone here how valuable one year of a superstar really is.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#108 » by Buzzard » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:10 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Congrats to the Lakers (and the Heat) on the title. Reminder to everyone here how valuable one year of a superstar really is.

Congrats to them as well. This is also a reminder of the different levels of superstars.

There are superstars. Then there is LeBron James and his 10 finals appearances.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Texas Chuck

Post#109 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:12 pm

Was actually referring more to AD, the guy they gave a bunch of kids for who only had one year left.

Obviously anyone who doesn't realize how good Lebron is at this point isn't worth arguing with.....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#110 » by Buzzard » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:16 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Was actually referring more to AD, the guy they gave a bunch of kids for who only had one year left.

Obviously anyone who doesn't realize how good Lebron is at this point isn't worth arguing with.....

Who is arguing? AD is a superstar and possibly in 15 years we will hold him in the same reverence as LeBron.

Maybe there is some people out there who don't think AD is a superstar. If so, those are some really dark blinders they are wearing.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#111 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Congrats to the Lakers (and the Heat) on the title. Reminder to everyone here how valuable one year of a superstar really is.

Two years in a row now to emphasize that reminder.

Spoiler:
But if Giannis becomes unexpectedly available, I’m guessing we’ll see more of the ‘I’m not giving up anything good’ arguments.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#112 » by Buzzard » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:16 pm

When you have LeBron you are always one superstar away from a finals. I think Giannis is in a similar category but still has to prove it. I do think the Hawks would consider sending every player on their team, with picks, for Giannis except Trae.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,577

Post#113 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Crizzle wrote:You are the grizzlies. After this year you have all of your own future 1sts as well as ones owed from Utah and GSW. Ja, JJJ, and probaby Clarke are off limits. Say they land pick 10 or similar in the 2021 draft. What would you be willing to give up to trade up and grab the wing of the teams future?

In your scenario I don’t think there’s any realistic way for them to move up in the 2021 draft without including JJJ.

That’s as of now though, things may change.

The Grizzlies are going to be interesting. I think they’re in danger of becoming too good too early and limiting their ceiling as a small market team reliant on the draft.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,577

Post#114 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:50 pm

I don’t think that anything pertaining to Lebron James can be applied generally to other situations. He’s the exception, not the rule.

I could be wrong but other teams don’t have the best player in the league to pair with said superstar.
Texas Chuck

Post#115 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:51 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

I don’t think that anything pertaining to Lebron James can be applied generally to other situations. He’s the exception, not the rule.

Keep reading. :D
Texas Chuck

Post#116 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:53 pm

Also, welcome to the off-season ladies and gents, or in other words Trade Board Christmas. Saw our mate Smitty suggesting the moratorium should be lifted in a week or so allowing trading to commence.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#117 » by Buzzard » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:59 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Also, welcome to the off-season ladies and gents, or in other words Trade Board Christmas. Saw our mate Smitty suggesting the moratorium should be lifted in a week or so allowing trading to commence.

The next month or so of rumors is going to be crazy!

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,398

Post#118 » by Wolveswin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:05 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

I could be wrong but other teams don’t have the best player in the league to pair with said superstar.

Would the Heat be looking to make a move this offseason to do just that?

They have some cap space but no star free agent until next offseason. With no guarantees one signs with them next offseason either. Could they push the issue 2020 offseason (Butler not getting any younger)?

Bam + Herro is a start of a great star acquisition offer. Would someone like Harden be in play? Does Harden and Butler make them better than Lakers?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,779

Post#119 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:11 pm

Do we know what the salary cap/lux tax will be for next season? And, I've never been clear on this, when can we start using 20-21 salaries for trading purposes? Once the moratorium is lifted? After the draft? Some other date?
Texas Chuck

Post#120 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:12 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Wanted to respond to what you added later. Lakers had Lebron but no AD and were fighting to make the playoffs before Lebron shut it down for the year. I don't think anyone had the 18-19 Lakers with Lebron as a serious contender at any point.

I think my point stands with AD, and as SWC points out, the Raptors with Kawhi--and all due respect to Lowry they didn't anything approaching a Lebron in house.

These superstars that become available late in their contracts once their team knows they can't salvage the relationship are worth a ton and its silly how this board continues to justify lowball offers because "rental".

Return to Trades and Transactions