The Washington Football Team Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#61 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 8, 2020 9:38 am

Well, we know RR doesn't make decisions lightly, so that does give a level of comfort that he's made the right decision. Otoh, I think we need to see something better from Allen this week. Otherwise, it's on to Alex Smith.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#62 » by Dark Faze » Thu Oct 8, 2020 7:05 pm

Haskins wasn't pulled because of gameday tape. There was something else going on behind the scenes--whether it was work ethic or something else I don't know, but they pulled him too quick for it to only be about what was going on on game days.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#63 » by queridiculo » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:29 pm

Still early, but the way Allen handles pressure is night and day from what we have seen with Haskins.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#64 » by queridiculo » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Jack Del Rio's defense is as embarrassing as his Twitter feed.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Ruzious » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:23 pm

Well, we had 111 yards passing and a whole lotto sacks. Just sayin.

The NFC East must be setting futility records this year.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#66 » by Dark Faze » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:11 pm

This coaching staff looks like butt. Hate to condemn them so early, but I'm actually shocked that the Rivera/Del Rio combination is performing this poorly on the defensive side. That side of the roster isn't bad. I'd even argue it's good on paper.

Offensively...yea. That side of the ball is a bag of trash. Even so, Scott Turner looks awful.

Haskins somewhat redeemed by todays game. Judging by what I saw I think we'll see him starting again at some point this year.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#67 » by TGW » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:13 am

Dark Faze wrote:This coaching staff looks like butt. Hate to condemn them so early, but I'm actually shocked that the Rivera/Del Rio combination is performing this poorly on the defensive side. That side of the roster isn't bad. I'd even argue it's good on paper.

Offensively...yea. That side of the ball is a bag of trash. Even so, Scott Turner looks awful.

Haskins somewhat redeemed by todays game. Judging by what I saw I think we'll see him starting again at some point this year.

This is shortsighted. This team lacks talent everywhere except on the defensive line. The backend of the defense is below average and the linebackers are a bunch of no names. Offensively, they literally have two players that are above average. This is a 4 win roster...anyone who thought this team was better than that was deluding themselves.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#68 » by queridiculo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:19 pm

I have had my reservations about Riviera's appointment from the start, and I haven't see anything so far that has changed my mind.

Some rah-rah about culture, toughness and accountability that typically plays well with fans, but his decision making in all facets of the organization has been suspect.

From the way they he has handled the malcontents on the team, to roster building decisions and coordinator appointments as well as how they've bungled Haskins, it's all been very unimpressive.

In fact, if you hadn't told me that there was a new Sherif in town, it's about par for the course with how this organization has done business in the past.

Oh, and another note on Jack Del Rio, I cannot for the life of me figure out how this organization ever added somebody with his Twitter persona to the organization given what the country has been through with this inept, divisive leadership.

As black man, I couldn't see myself playing for that jack ass.
TGW
RealGM

Post#69 » by TGW » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:43 pm

^^I just checked Del Rio's twitter. Yep....he's a confirmed jackass.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:14 pm

According to the local media, the QB change was made because RR believed the team had a real shot at the playoffs, and it would be helped by starting Allen. To me, that made no sense. Obviously, the team needs a ton of improvement, and whether or not you like Haskins, everyone knew the situation that he needed more time to be evaluated. Now, it's looking like we have to draft another 1st round QB - preventing us from using the pick to improve other areas of need. I mean... do we even have one legit starting LBer? And the offense has many obvious needs. The DB's unit has problems.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:31 pm

NFC East contenders... do we really want to win the NFC East with the worst record ever by a division champ?

So, Jon Bostic... He's getting crucified for the hit on Andy Dalton. Should he be? I understand he had to be kicked out of the game, but do we know he do it intentionally - considering Dalton slid when they were going full speed toward each other?
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#72 » by Dark Faze » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:According to the local media, the QB change was made because RR believed the team had a real shot at the playoffs, and it would be helped by starting Allen. To me, that made no sense. Obviously, the team needs a ton of improvement, and whether or not you like Haskins, everyone knew the situation that he needed more time to be evaluated. Now, it's looking like we have to draft another 1st round QB - preventing us from using the pick to improve other areas of need. I mean... do we even have one legit starting LBer? And the offense has many obvious needs. The DB's unit has problems.

To be fair, you're assuming that watching him play more games is the only way to evaluate Haskins. It's not. Sometimes you're just not ready for a thing. This is the truth in all aspects of life. Haskins isn't ready right now. Continually being setup to fail sometimes is not the recipe for success. Sometimes it's to take a step back and refocus, relearn things that you skipped over, work on your weaknesses. Heck, sometimes a demotion is needed to humble you. I would not get rid of Haskins--we'd be lucky to get a 4th for him right now. Let him work in the film room, show he can be mature about this benching, and eventually we can promote him to backup. Eventually I suspect we'll be eliminated from the playoffs and we can just start Haskins the final 3 or 4 games of the season.

I agree, let's not draft a QB unless we love what's there.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Dark Faze wrote:
Ruzious wrote:According to the local media, the QB change was made because RR believed the team had a real shot at the playoffs, and it would be helped by starting Allen. To me, that made no sense. Obviously, the team needs a ton of improvement, and whether or not you like Haskins, everyone knew the situation that he needed more time to be evaluated. Now, it's looking like we have to draft another 1st round QB - preventing us from using the pick to improve other areas of need. I mean... do we even have one legit starting LBer? And the offense has many obvious needs. The DB's unit has problems.

To be fair, you're assuming that watching him play more games is the only way to evaluate Haskins. It's not. Sometimes you're just not ready for a thing. This is the truth in all aspects of life. Haskins isn't ready right now. Continually being setup to fail sometimes is not the recipe for success. Sometimes it's to take a step back and refocus, relearn things that you skipped over, work on your weaknesses. Heck, sometimes a demotion is needed to humble you. I would not get rid of Haskins--we'd be lucky to get a 4th for him right now. Let him work in the film room, show he can be mature about this benching, and eventually we can promote him to backup. Eventually I suspect we'll be eliminated from the playoffs and we can just start Haskins the final 3 or 4 games of the season.

I agree, let's not draft a QB unless we love what's there.

You could very well be right, but the problem is that doesn't seem to have been the message given to him. Overnight, he went from starter and team captain to 3rd string and off the active roster - and without an encouraging word. And too many things have been leaked about him. Just the other day, it was leaked that he was fined $5,000 for allowing a friend to get a room in the team's hotel. Those kinds of fines happen all the time, but they don't get leaked - but once again, someone from the team must have leaked it. I only found out about it, because the local radio station was making a huge deal about it - particularly Chris Russell - until a former Skin called his show to try to diplomatically make him understand that the bigger deal was that the team leaked the information. And now, Chris Russell is saying his sources say that the Skins might trade Haskins for dirt cheap. Meanwhile, I hear nobody in the Skins organization defending Haskins. Unless that happens, I think Russell turns out to be right - which is unfortunate.
TGW
RealGM

Post#74 » by TGW » Thu Nov 5, 2020 2:28 pm

https://football.realgm.com/wiretap/45107/Ron-Rivera-Dwayne-Haskins-Isnt-Done-In-Washington

Ron Rivera is pushing back against the idea that Dwayne Haskins is done with the Washington Football Team.

"It's funny, I benched the guy and it's like everybody thinks his career is over here in Washington. It's not. There's potential, there's opportunity. The kid has an NFL arm, it's just a matter of him developing," Rivera said.

Rivera cited that Haskins was only the starter for one year at Ohio State and has started just 11 games in the NFL.

"Everybody forgets he played 12 games of college football and then last year he really didn't get into the swing of things until the end of the year," he said. "I did everything I could to give him 11 weeks as the No. 1 [quarterback]."

This is 100% true.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 5, 2020 10:13 pm

Rivera better be telling that to Haskins; moreso than the media. But actions speak louder than words. If Haskins at least practices well and does what's asked of him, it'd be a very good sign if he's named the #2 QB. If Allen gets injured, we best not see Alex Smith again. To me, that would mean Haskins is through in DC, and his trade value would be virtually nothing.
TGW
RealGM

Post#76 » by TGW » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:36 pm

Well, it looks like Haskins will get his chance again. It's just painful watching Smith out there.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 8, 2020 10:33 pm

RR said Alex Smith will start - which means I'm not gonna watch. By far, the most important thing to do this season was to develop Haskins. Instead, we're 2-6 - losing twice to the Giants! - and ready to start a 36 year old QB way past his prime. Yeah, it's a great story that he was able to come back, but watching those last 2 ints he threw... again... against the Giants...

Also gotta question how effective Morgan Moses is in lecturing the team for sloppy play after he committed a 10 yard penalty and considering he led the NFL in penalties that were accepted last season. :dontknow: And our TE dropped how many balls today - including a fumble that bounced right to him - giving NY so much momentum. Granted Jabril Peppers was terrific on D - as he always is against the wFt. And Alfred Morris just came off the street, and the wft's vaunted 1st round front 4 couldn't tackle him way too many times.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#78 » by WashWiz54 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 7:22 pm

Disagree completely. I’m happy that Haskins isn’t playing after hearing how he bragged about his statistics after a blowout and wasn’t taking his role seriously as the starting QB off this team. He got handed the keys to the metaphorical car and he blew the engine out due to neglect and reckless behavior. He doesn’t deserve to sit behind the wheel until he proves he’s willing to take ownership seriously. If you let him back out there, you’re slapping the defense, Terry, and all the other guys giving 100% in the face.

If we lose a few in a row and Haskins is showing maturity and a good work ethic during practice- absolutely, throw him in. If not though, he can ride the pine until the final couple games. Not because he deserves to play, but just to try and salvage some trade value so we can boot him in the offseason. Let him be someone else’s problem (assuming he doesn’t mature up).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 9, 2020 11:24 pm

WashWiz54 wrote:Disagree completely. I’m happy that Haskins isn’t playing after hearing how he bragged about his statistics after a blowout and wasn’t taking his role seriously as the starting QB off this team. He got handed the keys to the metaphorical car and he blew the engine out due to neglect and reckless behavior. He doesn’t deserve to sit behind the wheel until he proves he’s willing to take ownership seriously. If you let him back out there, you’re slapping the defense, Terry, and all the other guys giving 100% in the face.

If we lose a few in a row and Haskins is showing maturity and a good work ethic during practice- absolutely, throw him in. If not though, he can ride the pine until the final couple games. Not because he deserves to play, but just to try and salvage some trade value so we can boot him in the offseason. Let him be someone else’s problem (assuming he doesn’t mature up).

Lol. Why did they name him one of 5 team captains? I can understand them playing Allen, but I can't understand them planning to start Smith when they're 2 and 6.

Are you really satisfied with the way the offense has been playing... against the worst teams in the NFL? For that matter, the defense hasn't been great either. They're getting beat on the ground by mediocre RB's.

What's the purpose of this season - if it's not to develop a QB?
TGW
RealGM

Post#80 » by TGW » Mon Nov 9, 2020 11:31 pm

No...it's to develop the team. If Haskins is out there missing receivers, making poor reads, and being an ass, losing his teammates respect in the process, then ultimately it's how a coach loses a lockerroom. The other players on the team were frustrated with Haskins and his play, and it was just a matter of time before an all out mutiny happened against the coaching staff.

You have to make him earn it.

Return to Washington Wizards