Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

TB
General Manager
And1: 1,147

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#1061 » by TB » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:32 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
TB wrote:Unless trades happen we don't have roster spots for fringe players or vet minimums. Assuming major trades don't happen (any they definitely could)....

We already have:
Steph / Bowman
Klay / Poole
Wiggins / Lee
Dray / Paschall
Chriss / Looney / Smiley

That is 11 players I think are locks for the roster. If you add Mulder and Juan thats 13 roster spots.

MLE
TPE
2nd rounder
2nd rounder

If we use all assets available, we are at 18 players. Drop Mulder and Juan and find a way to turn the 2 2nd rounders and cash into 1 pick, and thats our 15 (again, barring trades).

So I really see us mostly focusing on getting the best possible player with the MLE and TPE and leaving it at that.

Unless of course we trade picks and assets for an allstar level player, but thats a different thread.

I don't think Bowman is more likely to make the roster than Mulder. I'd love to get off Smiley as well in a trade if it opens up a roster spot. Saw this trade proposed in a BR mock draft. I think I'd do this. Would throw in Smiley to make it happen as well and clear up that roster spot.

Read on Twitter

Grab Vassell at #6, try and get Jordan Clarkson or Austin Rivers at the MLE, go after Mo Harkless for the vet minimum, sign Simmons at the minimum as well if Kerr really likes him.

Curry / Clarkson / Poole
Thompson / Lee / Mulder
Harkless / Vassel / Simmons
Green / Paschall / Harkless
Turner / Chriss / Looney

While I'm not as high on Turner as I used to be, most of the things that Pacers fans seem to not like about Turner I don't see as a problem in GS. He camps out on the 3 point line (part of pacers plan and something Warriors need if Dray doesn't fix his shot). His mobility is stiffer than most think (not as big an issue on GSW as he'd play next to a mobile PF like Dray instead of Sabonis). He doesn't rebound (this ones kinda a problem, but no player is perfect for under 20m).

Another hesitation is that i'm not sure Turner is a better center than Wiggins is a SF... feels like center might be a position we can fill easily without giving up so many assets.

I dunno... i'd talk myself into it though. :)
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#1062 » by xdrta+ » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:41 pm

Not me. I don't think Turner is worth ending up with the SF position a crappy black hole.
TB
General Manager

Post#1063 » by TB » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:44 pm

xdrta+ wrote:Not me. I don't think Turner is worth ending up with the SF position a crappy black hole.

Ya I think i'm here when it comes to losing the minny pick AND Wiggins.

If we want to use the TPE (via a player trade and then instant swap for Turner and a pick), i'm more intrigued because we keep Wiggins and just add Turner to what we have.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#1064 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:49 pm

TB wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:Not me. I don't think Turner is worth ending up with the SF position a crappy black hole.

If we want to use the TPE (via a player trade and then instant swap for Turner and a pick), i'm more intrigued because we keep Wiggins and just add Turner to what we have.

Another trade I saw floated around (it might have been you) is the #2 pick signed to his contract, Looney and either Poole or Smiley for Turner. This way we preserve the TPE and just do a straight salary matching trade.
TB
General Manager

Post#1065 » by TB » Tue Oct 6, 2020 8:43 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
TB wrote:

Another trade I saw floated around (it might have been you) is the #2 pick signed to his contract, Looney and either Poole or Smiley for Turner. This way we preserve the TPE and just do a straight salary matching trade.

Don't think that was me since I don't know how the CBA works in that situation. Or maybe it was, I don't remember most things I say...

but theoretically I think I pass on that one, since we are basically looking at:
Wiseman, Looney and Poole
or
Turner

I think i'd roll the dice with Wiseman (or Okongwu) and use Looney and Poole in our rotation or in another trade.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1066 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:36 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
TB wrote:Unless trades happen we don't have roster spots for fringe players or vet minimums. Assuming major trades don't happen (any they definitely could)....

We already have:
Steph / Bowman
Klay / Poole
Wiggins / Lee
Dray / Paschall
Chriss / Looney / Smiley

That is 11 players I think are locks for the roster. If you add Mulder and Juan thats 13 roster spots.

MLE
TPE
2nd rounder
2nd rounder

If we use all assets available, we are at 18 players. Drop Mulder and Juan and find a way to turn the 2 2nd rounders and cash into 1 pick, and thats our 15 (again, barring trades).

So I really see us mostly focusing on getting the best possible player with the MLE and TPE and leaving it at that.

Unless of course we trade picks and assets for an allstar level player, but thats a different thread.

I don't think Bowman is more likely to make the roster than Mulder. I'd love to get off Smiley as well in a trade if it opens up a roster spot. Saw this trade proposed in a BR mock draft. I think I'd do this. Would throw in Smiley to make it happen as well and clear up that roster spot.

Read on Twitter

Grab Vassell at #6, try and get Jordan Clarkson or Austin Rivers at the MLE, go after Mo Harkless for the vet minimum, sign Simmons at the minimum as well if Kerr really likes him.

Curry / Clarkson / Poole
Thompson / Lee / Mulder
Turner / Chriss / Looney

Smiley was picked up to develop, and because the 39th pick in the draft doesn't shine you want to dump him already?
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#1067 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:18 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

We already have:
Steph / Bowman
Klay / Poole
Wiggins / Lee
Dray / Paschall
Chriss / Looney / Smiley

MLE
TPE
2nd rounder
2nd rounder

Read on Twitter

Curry / Clarkson / Poole
Thompson / Lee / Mulder
Turner / Chriss / Looney

Smiley was picked up to develop, and because the 39th pick in the draft doesn't shine you want to dump him already?

I have nothing against Smiley, but I don't think his ceiling is all that high. If he was a legit 7 foot, I'd be more interested in his long term future. He's got a nice pump fake/dribble drive and inventiveness to his game, but he's a 6'9 stretch 5 and I can't see him topping out better than someone like Mo Speights. I don't think Kerr is going to play him this year or the next and assuming we keep the #2, we'll have quite a few projects on the roster: #2, Poole, Chriss, Mulder (if he makes the roster), and you can make an argument that Wiggins is a developmental project.

This is all to say, if Smiley's roster spot can be used for a legitimately useful role player who can help us win games this year and the next, I'd move on from him without being too bummed about it. Our window is finite. We can always grab more projects.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#1068 » by Quazza » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:19 am

xdrta+ wrote:Anyone interested in Thon Maker? He's a RFA but could come cheap. Sounds like the Pistons won't extend a $3.6M QO and they figure he'll get less than that, either from them or someone else.

Let me see that Thon...

(Sorry)
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#1069 » by Hopper15 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1070 » by Mylie10 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:20 pm

Hopper15 wrote:
Read on Twitter

My next question would be, what’s the China schedule and when could he be signed once they are done. He might be a nice wing piece to have in your back pocket.

Going to China would be good for him to get games under his belt and get back to form. He looked fine for the Cruz last year in limited time. He reminds me of Stack Jack a little bit....without the crazy
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#1071 » by Hopper15 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:21 pm

Yeah. I was thinking they could bring him in if they whiff in the buyout market.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#1072 » by northoakland510 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:56 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:

We already have:
Steph / Bowman
Klay / Poole
Wiggins / Lee
Dray / Paschall
Chriss / Looney / Smiley

MLE
TPE
2nd rounder
2nd rounder

Read on Twitter

Curry / Clarkson / Poole
Thompson / Lee / Mulder
Turner / Chriss / Looney

How does this trade make any sense? We get rid of Wiggins and two first round picks to get a soft Miles turner and a role player?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#1073 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:59 am

don't know why Atlanta would do that. They're taking on Wiggins to get a pick that might be worse than the one they're giving up? lol
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Von Wafer
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#1074 » by Von Wafer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:09 am

The Warriors need to surround Curry with versatile defenders if they have any chance at a ring.

They should be focusing completely on Michael Carter-Williams at backup PG, Dwight Howard at center, and André Roberson at SF/PF.

They need to fill out the rest of the rotation with shooters, a pure shooter to take Lee's minutes if he's not ready for primetime and a stretch big who can score in bunches with limited minutes the way Speights used to. Guys like JR Smith or Matt Thomas could fill that pure shooter role, whereas guys like Bertrans, Markieff Morris, JaMychel Green, or Bobby Portis could fill the stretch big role:

PG - Curry - Carter-Williams
SG - Thompson - Smith
C - Howard - Wiseman
PF - Green - Portis
SF - Roberson - Wiggins

The starting five lacks offense but brings three scorers off the bench and surrounds Curry with four All-NBA defenders to begin games.

Carter-Williams, Smith, and Roberson could very well be available for the minimum, if not very close. Howard and Portis could probably be had for portions of the MLE. Wiseman probably plays 10 minutes a game.

Let the TPE expire (no real options to me other than Thaddeous Young). Keep Lee, Chriss, Looney, and Paschall. Sign a third-string tall, defensive PG and cut everyone else who can't be assigned Exhibit 10 deals.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1075 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:26 pm

Von Wafer wrote:The Warriors need to surround Curry with versatile defenders if they have any chance at a ring.

They should be focusing completely on Michael Carter-Williams at backup PG, Dwight Howard at center, and André Roberson at SF/PF.

They need to fill out the rest of the rotation with shooters, a pure shooter to take Lee's minutes if he's not ready for primetime and a stretch big who can score in bunches with limited minutes the way Speights used to. Guys like JR Smith or Matt Thomas could fill that pure shooter role, whereas guys like Bertrans, Markieff Morris, JaMychel Green, or Bobby Portis could fill the stretch big role:

PG - Curry - Carter-Williams
SG - Thompson - Smith
C - Howard - Wiseman
PF - Green - Portis
SF - Roberson - Wiggins

The starting five lacks offense but brings three scorers off the bench and surrounds Curry with four All-NBA defenders to begin games.

Carter-Williams, Smith, and Roberson could very well be available for the minimum, if not very close. Howard and Portis could probably be had for portions of the MLE. Wiseman probably plays 10 minutes a game.

Let the TPE expire (no real options to me other than Thaddeous Young). Keep Lee, Chriss, Looney, and Paschall. Sign a third-string tall, defensive PG and cut everyone else who can't be assigned Exhibit 10 deals.

I like Roberson but not to start over Wiggins. I like Portis but Paschall is going to get those minutes. I like Carter-Williams but Poole looks like he's going to be the #2 PG. I don't like Howard at all, and like him even less if they draft Wiseman. Lee played well enough last year that he's essentially a lock for next year. Bertans would be ideal but he's not likely to be in range for the Warriors. Christian Wood is an interesting option because he's made it clear he wants to play for a winning franchise.

Are you f'n kidding with JR Smith?
TB
General Manager

Post#1076 » by TB » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Even with Gallo recent comments about wanting a title more than money, there is no way he signs for MLE... right?

I think Ibaka and Gallo gotta be 1 and 2 on the MLE dream scenario rankings.

My perfect scenario for next year now is:
MLE - Gallo
TPE - Oubre (send the minny 2021 2nd, GSW 2020 2nd, GSW 2023 2nd)
Trade - Kennard (use looney and the 2021 GSW 1st)
#2 - Wiseman
2nd rounder - Marshall

Start: Steph, Klay, Wiggins, Dray, Wiseman
Rotation: Gallo, Kennard, Oubre, Paschall, Chriss
Deep Bench: Poole, Lee, Smiley, Bowman, Marshall
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#1077 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:51 pm

TB wrote:Even with Gallo recent comments about wanting a title more than money, there is no way he signs for MLE... right?

MLE - Gallo
#2 - Wiseman
2nd rounder - Marshall

If someone offers him say $5 million more with more years than the Warriors could offer him, of course he'd choose the higher deal. He might not have many years left earning millions.

If Lakers and Warriors or Clippers too offer him the MLE, which one does he choose?

Windhorst speculated that FA money will be scarce and there might be more ring chasers. Unfortunately for the Warriors, nobody recruits like Lebron.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1078 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:09 pm

wco81 wrote:
TB wrote:Even with Gallo recent comments about wanting a title more than money, there is no way he signs for MLE... right?

MLE - Gallo
#2 - Wiseman
2nd rounder - Marshall

If someone offers him say $5 million more with more years than the Warriors could offer him, of course he'd choose the higher deal. He might not have many years left earning millions.

If Lakers and Warriors or Clippers too offer him the MLE, which one does he choose?

Windhorst speculated that FA money will be scarce and there might be more ring chasers. Unfortunately for the Warriors, nobody recruits like Lebron.

Yeah, but play with LeBron and all credit goes to LeBron.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#1079 » by cdubbz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Gallo!!! Got to grab him with the MLE. Bench scoring would be much stronger with him and he can back up 3-5 minutes.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,258

Post#1080 » by Onus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:19 pm

MLE - Gallo
#2 - Wiseman
2nd rounder - Marshall

Man if we could get gallo for the mle that would be sweet. He has shrunk in the playoffs but he would be getting wide open 3s for days. Sign that man
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)

Return to Golden State Warriors