So what's the plan with Kuz?

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Re: So what's the plan with Kuz? 

Post#21 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 8, 2020 5:46 pm

Kuz has shown some things but it's always going to be difficult as his true position is PF and he's stuck behind LeBron and AD.

If a team can see value in Kuzma then trading I'm would be good for him and the Lakers. I think Pop was very high on Kuzma and would probably be interested.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#22 » by BEazy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:35 am

Trade his ass. Like Kobe would say, "Ship his ass out."

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#23 » by Speedlot » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:29 pm

Develop him, and see what's up. He needs to work right now.
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#24 » by slifersd » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:53 pm

He is an asset. For all of his flaws, on a team where he can get volume, he is a 18-20 point a game scorer easily. There is value in that and we need to extract it. If we can use him as part of a package to land someone we need, then we'd be silly not to do it. But if we are just going to give him away, I think that'd be pretty dumb.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Post#25 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:57 pm

Speedlot wrote:Develop him, and see what's up. He needs to work right now.

I don't agree with this. The guy had 4 full years of college, and just wrapped up his 3rd NBA season. IMO, your lookin' at damn near all the goods this guy is gonna deliver. Yes...he can develop a this...improve a little on that. But as I said at the beginning...with very few exceptions....the cream starts rising by year 3.

I think we need to accept that what you see is what you got. Is it enough? Can we get anything real for him at this point?
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#26 » by JVL » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Try to package him for a reliable 15-20ppg wing. I think we've seen pretty much all we're gonna get from Kuzma. He had an abysmal year both in the RS and in the playoffs. No matter how I look at his stats or think about how he played in the games, I just can't find the silver lining.

The funny thing is that there's almost no lineup with Kuzma that is a consistent net negative, not even when you drop it to 2/3-man lineups and try to isolate Kuzma's effect on the team.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#27 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:31 pm

Yup. He is what he is, a very mediocre basketball player. Hasn't improved at all since he came in. If we could somehow use him to get a dependable wing scorer/shooter, which I find hard to believe, you do it in a heart beat.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#28 » by TylersLakers » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:52 pm

I think he'll be traded and I think we're going to try to get Oladipo. I could see a draft day trade or before the draft (officially completed after) involving our first round pick. Green, Kuzma, Bradley, 1st rounder to Indy for Victor Oladipo.
BEazy
RealGM

Post#29 » by BEazy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:26 pm

TylersLakers wrote:I think he'll be traded and I think we're going to try to get Oladipo. I could see a draft day trade or before the draft (officially completed after) involving our first round pick. Green, Kuzma, Bradley, 1st rounder to Indy for Victor Oladipo.

I would love to see this but since the Pacers were so butt hurt with the Paul George trade talks I don't see Oladipo coming to LA.

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#30 » by zimpy27 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:35 am

TylersLakers wrote:I think he'll be traded and I think we're going to try to get Oladipo. I could see a draft day trade or before the draft (officially completed after) involving our first round pick. Green, Kuzma, Bradley, 1st rounder to Indy for Victor Oladipo.

Oladipo and McDermott works for that salary
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#31 » by ChocolateThundr » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:43 am

Now that he has been through the finals and experienced it, I am willing to give him half of next season to see marked improvement.
BEazy
RealGM

Post#32 » by BEazy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:21 am

I mean if 2 points in 22 minutes doesn't worry you, I don't know what will. Yes we drafted him, but he will be better off on another team that can use him at his fullest. We are not going to pay him what he will want, so it's best to trade him now instead of caving in and paying him a ridiculous amount that some other team is willing to pay him for. Restricted free agents are always the reason teams have no cap space because some other team wants to screw the other team over.

I can see the Knicks doing this type of crap.

Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,110

Post#33 » by Hellcrooner » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:12 am

need to trade him before its time for him to get paid.
no questions.
we need that capspace for Giannis.
and we should start wishpering on giannis ear Asap.
maybe even make him go Davis Route asking for a trade RIGHT NOW TO THE LAKERS.
get them kuzma, green and picks.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#34 » by Kobe System » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:43 am

Hellcrooner wrote:need to trade him before its time for him to get paid.
no questions.
we need that capspace for Giannis.
and we should start wishpering on giannis ear Asap.
maybe even make him go Davis Route asking for a trade RIGHT NOW TO THE LAKERS.
get them kuzma, green and picks.

That package won't even get you Middleton or Bledsoe.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 475

Post#35 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:16 am

I'm quite disappointed in his performance in the finals. Sign him for cheap or just let him go if he asks for big salary.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,537

Post#36 » by stan francisco » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:32 am

JVL wrote:Try to package him for a reliable 15-20ppg wing. I think we've seen pretty much all we're gonna get from Kuzma. He had an abysmal year both in the RS and in the playoffs. No matter how I look at his stats or think about how he played in the games, I just can't find the silver lining.

The funny thing is that there's almost no lineup with Kuzma that is a consistent net negative, not even when you drop it to 2/3-man lineups and try to isolate Kuzma's effect on the team.

Yes, because of his defense.

The silver lining is just that; he now plays really good defense. Another silver lining is that with just slightly improved offense, he’s suddenly a great fit roster member to plug in next to LBJ and AD.

Keep him, develop him. Due to his good but slow progress on offense, he’ll have a chance to earn the right to his big dream contract in steps. I expected him to break out this year so I won’t be surprised when he does next season. I’d sign him to a two year tiered deal with a year two player option.

We’ve all seen him get hot and drop big numbers, only we forgot. It’s just a matter of time until he finds his spots next to AD and LBJ and starts sinking them again.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#37 » by Vae Victus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:42 am

Easy answer, hold onto Kuz unless an obvious upgrade is available via trade and Kuz is needed to make it happen.

As Stan Francisco has noted, Kuz's D is fairly solid and he's putting alot of effort onto that side of the court (likely under Vogel's instruction). If Kuz's 3pt shot can improve, he'd be a nice piece to slot between LBJ and AD at the 4. For now, Kuz is a keeper and i think with another off-season with LBJ+AD he'll find his niche. His offball cutting this playoffs have been impressive, since he's such a great finisher.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#38 » by Speedlot » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:04 pm

His D has been excellent. I think he could use some bulk so he won't get pushed around by Butler.

He's a great asset. Winning the finals has only boosted his value. He's bought into the system and playing to win. The fact that he can do this and gel with Lebron, AD is pretty important.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#39 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:56 pm

So now we're overrating Kuzma's defense too? Some of you guys are never going to learn.
BEazy
RealGM

Post#40 » by BEazy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:33 pm

I'm starting to wonder if people understand how restricted free agency works... He will sign a ridiculous contract with a bottom dweller to get his money. That will kill our cap and any chance at improving the roster. It would be very stupid to keep Kuzma.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers