ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Western Conference toughest yet?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

2021 Western Conference toughest yet? 

Post#1 » by cdubbz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:22 pm

2020 season just ended and off season moves haven’t been made, but as of right now...is the 2021 western conference the best in the last 10 years?

Tier 1
Lakers, Clippers, Warriors

Tier 2
Nuggets, Mavericks, Blazers, Jazz, Rockets

Teams on the rise: T-wolves, Pelicans, Suns.

A few trades and Blazers are seasoned enough to leap to tier 1 - same with jazz and nuggets.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Re: 2021 Western Conference toughest yet? 

Post#2 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:33 pm

The top of the West will be brutal, but I don't think that highly of Portland, Utah, or Houston and think that all of those teams are primed for some level of drop off as presently constructed. It's also likely those teams will have to massively retool. Portland has serious holes on the wing. The emergence of Trent is helpful and Nurkic's return will help them win games, but the FA market is light on wings and they don't have that many tradable assets to help them get additional wings. I with each year, Gobert becomes a little less useful deep into the playoffs. There's a chance Conley performs better after a year in Utah, but the flip side is he is the age where his decline is inevitable. Houston has to deal with Russ aging into irrelevance, a huge luxury tax bill, and very few ways to improve their roster, which is already poorly balanced. I love Tucker, but he's 35 and it's not sustainable over the course of a season to make him their full time center.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#3 » by Flash Falcon X » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Definitely.

Lakers looking to repeat with probably more additions, and Clippers looking for vengeance after getting embarrassed by Denver.

Next year will be a great mix of elite veteran teams (e.g. Warriors, Lakers, Clippers) and teams with young stars (e.g. Dallas, Denver, Utah, etc.) and teams like the Rockets and Blazers who have All-Star vets looking to get over the hump.

Even the current lower seeds like Phoenix and T'Wolves could make some big moves.

The West looked pretty weak this postseason, but I look at it as a transition year where teams like GSW were injured, LAC still trying to get experience with each other, and young teams like Dallas, Utah and Denver in their final phases of inexperience postseason play before they start building off this year and getting better (kinda like the 2013 and 2014 Warriors.)
#DubNation
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Post#4 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Nuggets are 1 big time player away from being legit contenders. I doubt MPJ is that guy, but you never know. I never thought Murray would be this good.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#5 » by Little Digger » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Suns have the worst owner in sports not named Dean Spanos..no chance of keeping any kind of momentum ..We’ve been there..done that with Cohan

Wolves have serious issues..I can’t see them making a surge
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#6 » by Coxy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:19 pm

We aren't tier 1 until 1) We prove we are healthy again, and 2) Myers makes the right moves this offseason for depth players.

Right now I'd say we are tier 2. Unless Klay comes back the same bad man, I'm not sure we have enough right now to jump into tier 1. Myers has his work cut out for him, again.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#7 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:26 pm

Coxy wrote:We aren't tier 1 until 1) We prove we are healthy again, and 2) Myers makes the right moves this offseason for depth players.

Right now I'd say we are tier 2. Unless Klay comes back the same bad man, I'm not sure we have enough right now to jump into tier 1. Myers has his work cut out for him, again.

Absolutely agree.

Warriors have to prove themselves. Remember that Curry wasn't playing that well before his injury either. Problem meshing with Russell in the absence of Klay but now he will have to figure out how to play with Wiggins and maybe without an effective screening big man.

I think all the teams, including the Lakers, will be looking for key rotation players who could play 20-30 minutes next to their stars.

It will be a scramble, with limited FA money, depending on what happens to the cap.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#8 » by Coxy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:51 pm

wco81 wrote:
Coxy wrote:We aren't tier 1 until 1) We prove we are healthy again, and 2) Myers makes the right moves this offseason for depth players.

Absolutely agree.

Warriors have to prove themselves. Remember that Curry wasn't playing that well before his injury either. Problem meshing with Russell in the absence of Klay but now he will have to figure out how to play with Wiggins and maybe without an effective screening big man.

I think all the teams, including the Lakers, will be looking for key rotation players who could play 20-30 minutes next to their stars.

It will be a scramble, with limited FA money, depending on what happens to the cap.

For us to hang with the Lakers and Clippers of the world, we need to address some weaknesses we have now, and Kerr knows it. We need a big long athletic big man that can be on the floor in crunch times. Draymond has been good against C's in the past, but he's going to need serious help from here on out. We were at our best when we had Bogut, we need that sort of guy back again, but one that can shoot some. The 1 guy I've been pondering over that could potentially be had with our 2 pick (Of course depending on Indiana's direction), is Myles Turner. He could play next to Draymond, protect the rim, and also shoot the long ball some.

We also need another wing/shooter/ball handler type. Will Barton would be ideal, but I doubt Denver lets him go.

Myers COULD propel us back into the tier 1 this offseason, but dayam does he have a tough task getting it right.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,870

Post#9 » by Hoopstar23 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:57 pm

Coxy wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Absolutely agree.

For us to hang with the Lakers and Clippers of the world, we need to address some weaknesses we have now, and Kerr knows it. We need a big long athletic big man that can be on the floor in crunch times. Draymond has been good against C's in the past, but he's going to need serious help from here on out. We were at our best when we had Bogut, we need that sort of guy back again, but one that can shoot some. The 1 guy I've been pondering over that could potentially be had with our 2 pick (Of course depending on Indiana's direction), is Myles Turner. He could play next to Draymond, protect the rim, and also shoot the long ball some.

We also need another wing/shooter/ball handler type. Will Barton would be ideal, but I doubt Denver lets him go.

Myers COULD propel us back into the tier 1 this offseason, but dayam does he have a tough task getting it right.

Denver has to let go on Barton... there's so much of a log jam in the guard/forward position plus his knee injury is worrisome... we might be able to get him for a 2022 second IMO and TPE
Coxy
RealGM

Post#10 » by Coxy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:01 pm

Hoopstar23 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Absolutely agree.

Denver has to let go on Barton... there's so much of a log jam in the guard/forward position plus his knee injury is worrisome... we might be able to get him for a 2022 second IMO and TPE

That'd be great, but I doubt it. Who knows if our FO is even looking at a guy like him either.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,870

Post#11 » by Hoopstar23 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:10 pm

Coxy wrote:
Hoopstar23 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

That'd be great, but I doubt it. Who knows if our FO is even looking at a guy like him either.

I just think if we fill out our team with quality vets, plug and play players.. and have our big 3 healthy... I think we will be the favorite...
Coxy
RealGM

Post#12 » by Coxy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:33 pm

Hoopstar23 wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Hoopstar23 wrote:

I just think if we fill out our team with quality vets, plug and play players.. and have our big 3 healthy... I think we will be the favorite...

I think we are 1 player short of being legit again, along with serious health as well. Role players will be important, but we need 1 more legit profile player.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#13 » by HiRez » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:41 pm

wco81 wrote:Remember that Curry wasn't playing that well before his injury either. Problem meshing with Russell in the absence of Klay but now he will have to figure out how to play with Wiggins and maybe without an effective screening big man.

Well yeah but it was only 4 games before the injury, incredibly small sample size. And playing with a motley crew including GRIII, Jordan Poole, Russell, Chriss...most of those guys aren't very good and Russell was a bad fit. I wouldn't read too much into that.

I think Steph will be fine, probably Klay will as well although too soon to say for certain. Draymond, it remains to be seen, but as long as he can stay healthy, I have confidence he'll bring it when the playoffs come around.

We definitely need more help though, which is why these draft picks are critical. Either we need to hit on an immediately-useful player in the draft or use the pick(s) to trade for one or more players. There is little margin for error. That's why I've been shying away from players like LaMelo and Edwards and to some extent even Wiseman in the draft, I'm not sure they will be able to significantly contribute this year. To some extent that's true of all rookies and there's always a risk, but we can't afford to miss, or get a guy who maybe will be good, but who's a years-long project.

One of the reasons I like Okoro a lot, he's a great defender, knows how to get to the rim and finish at a high rate, doesn't try to do too much out of his abilities (ie. shoot you out of games), and has high BBIQ,...those things should, theoretically, translate to a quickly-useful player on this team. And Haliburton for similar reasons.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Post#14 » by whocurrz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 pm

We're not tier 1 regular season team unless we :

1) Hit on the pick optimally (a tradeback to add a player and hitting on the guy still available)
2) Make a good ole signing for a guy who takes a discount to play here
3) Good rotation guy with the TPE
4) Have good health from Cury, Klay and Dray
5) Improvement from Wiggins and the young guys

But in the playoffs I think we can be dangerous because Curry and Klay can go nuclear and be game breakers.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#15 » by Little Digger » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Definitely top tier unless Kirk and Kent :censored: it all up

We have Stephen :censored: Curry , Draymond :censored: Green, Klay :censored: Thompson and they don’t.

:lol: at the idea that we’re going to rely on a 19 year old to come through
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
wco81
RealGM

Post#16 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Turner has good numbers on blocks but is that mostly as a rotating help defender or manning the paint?

He doesn't seem that physical, especially getting the tough rebounds.

In any event, I think the Warriors getting him is unlikely, unless they overpay the Pacers.

One thing about the Lakers, where everything mostly went right with few injuries. Lebron and AD shot the lights out in the playoffs and especially in the Finals. We're talking about from 3. They went underneath picks and Lebron was taking and hitting 30-footers and AD shot over 40% before game 6. He's more like 32% for his career. But he obviously has a good stroke as he shot very well from the FT line and he got a TON of FTs as the NBA protected the Lakers.

I don't know if they really took a step up for got real hot this year. Because if both of them are shooting near or above 40% from 3 on good volume, impossible to stop them. They were also shooting almost 60% on FG, meaning they probably shot like 80% from the restricted area.

Warriors and rest of the NBA have to hope they drop back to their career averages on shooting as well as get injured for all the minutes they were playing. Lebron mocks load management by other players but it probably helped him that the season was cut short.

At his age, the odds are against him as he plays big minutes and a lot of games. Probably good for AD that he didn't play many games in his last season for NO and his first season in LA was shortened.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#17 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:51 pm

Wait....Curry (two time MVP and greatest shooter of all time), Klay (I think assuming health is fair or else forget it all - all-star and top 5 all time shooter), Draymond (he is not past his prime folks...the entire core took a year off last year), Wiggins....form #1 pick AND 20 point a night gifted scorer as number 3/4 option).....

That team is not on par with Lakers and Clippers? I think Warriors top 4 are far better than Lakers top 4 and at least as good as Clipper top 4.

What the Bubble showed me is the league is still behind the Warriors....and depending on what they do with the second pick etc....I think Warriors are top team with Clippers (chemistry broken with no point guard) and Lakers (37 year old LeBron with Ad as FA and Kuzma) as a second level.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,239

Post#18 » by Onus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:56 pm

We need a 5th player that will be able to switch 1-5 just so that our defense won't be comprised but I'll take our top 4 against anyone else's
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
wco81
RealGM

Post#19 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:48 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:

Wait....Curry (two time MVP and greatest shooter of all time), Klay (I think assuming health is fair or else forget it all - all-star and top 5 all time shooter), Draymond (he is not past his prime folks...the entire core took a year off last year), Wiggins....form #1 pick AND 20 point a night gifted scorer as number 3/4 option).....

That team is not on par with Lakers and Clippers? I think Warriors top 4 are far better than Lakers top 4 and at least as good as Clipper top 4.

What the Bubble showed me is the league is still behind the Warriors....and depending on what they do with the second pick etc....I think Warriors are top team with Clippers (chemistry broken with no point guard) and Lakers (37 year old LeBron with Ad as FA and Kuzma) as a second level.

Warriors offensive efficiency would have to be insane to overcome the length and defensive intensity which the Lakers showed, though they got to play physical and the only ones to get into foul trouble were Howard, who's not a big factor, and AD, a couple of games at most.

They can't lose out too much on rebounding and they have to be able to threaten the paint enough, where the Lakers have several shot blockers. And of course, in crunch time, the refs will let Lebron mug the best opposing players, as they did with Murray. They will also cover up their wing defensive deficiencies by blitzing players like Lillard and daring other players to beat them.

That means that Wiggins would have to hit a lot of open looks to make them stop this strategy, though Curry and Green are used to exploiting the trapping that teams often employ against Curry.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#20 » by Mylie10 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:52 pm

The Warriors need some legit defenders to add to the mix for us to be considered top tier. And part of the defense means getting more athletic and bigger.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors