ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the League 2020 Playoffs

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: Around the League 2020 Playoffs 

Post#581 » by gigantes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:56 am

Wow... I can see a real path to victory now for the Heat, given how sketchy Davis' ankle looked. I'm guessing he needs to sit out next game, and if so, suddenly LeBron is pretty much right back to being with those subpar Cleveland teams, without a single active star to help out.

Last night I noticed an LA fan posted in the Lakers forum that this (assumed) championship didn't feel "authentic enough," and he got like 30-40 likes or something. Unbelievable. I'd hate to see LeBron lose, but I sure won't be crying for Lakers fans if so.
gigantes
Starter

Post#582 » by gigantes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:04 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Who have you got for FMVP?

Even before last night's game, I was kinda thinking Buttlehead Jones (Jimmy, sorry, I'm just stoopid) had a strong argument. At this point he might actually be in the lead.

That also kind of relies on the annual Shaq / LeBron exception-- the idea that a player is so obviously and overwhelmingly dominant & valuable, that you can afford to honor someone else with the award, with little harm done.

Just for the record, Jerry West is the only FMVP winner that played for the losing team, back in 1969.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#583 » by Papi_swav » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:33 pm

I have to give props where it's due, Prok was right about jimmy Butler. Alot of guys here would of rather spent the money on Tobias Harris instead of Jimmy, i remember the arguments. But it's clear who the real max player is now despite his age. Prok was arguing with guys here about how he would much rather Jimmy than Tobias, i was on the fence with that one. Jimmy is a true star player that is so unselfish, they don't come like that anymore at all.
gigantes
Starter

Post#584 » by gigantes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:22 pm

You have to wonder what might have been when it comes to Jimmy. I mean, in the sense of his past teams doing better.

The more I get a feel for him, the more he seems like an incredible leader, somewhere between a Jordan and a LeBron. As in, he's ferocious like Jordan, and will get after you at the slightest sign of slacking, but he's also good-natured like 'Bron, and at the end of the day prefers positive vibes with his teammates.

That's all on top of his incredible ability to play bigger, the bigger the stage. For example, I seem to remember him having one of the most atrocious 2-pt and overall shooting percentages for the regular season, and now he's just this beastly assassin, making virtually any shot he chooses.

It's a shame all his prior teams seemed to have a level of dysfunction going on. Or maybe he was partly responsible for that in the past, and now he's grown in to a far better teammate?
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,447

Post#585 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:14 am

Jimmy is a beast, and like a true top player, dominates in the mid range. Philadelphia has to feel sick right now.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#586 » by Paradise » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:17 am

We’re coming, LeBron.
gigantes
Starter

Post#587 » by gigantes » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:03 am

Paradise wrote:https://external-preview.redd.it/H3pcSMkr6Yiv8oWT9eljZn8Bhuvwa35ppR2lDjFimEU.png?auto=webp&s=46ebe8f525d6b5bd5acfb26cd330d6ab97ac9e45

We’re coming, LeBron.

Speaking for myself, I'll feel quite fortunate if an aging Slim Reaper manages to recover from sports' most devastating injury, and a .500 team with major holes everywhere manages to come out of the East.

We're coming to wash your jock strap, LeBron! :D

(sorry Paradise, I always try to put my cynicism first, partly so as to be pleasantly surprised about being wrong)

Last night's championship is just an amazing accomplishment, though. I feel it all the more as someone who's typically neutral about LeBron. But this mofo just keeps roaming wherever he do, and since his rookie year, his team keeps awkwardly, hastily trying to piece together a good fit around him. And almost every time (even the championship years) it's a huge mess, and it's immediately obvious how mediocre the team is when Bron-Bron's not on the floor.

That's not really my point, though. Like, anytime you have a huge star, these are typical issues. What's different in this case is LeBron's ability to polish everyone around him to a white-hot shine so to speak. You just don't ordinarily see that. It's a rare ability, and the last time we had it with the Nets was during the Kidd years.

To the point, though-- across a multiple of sports, I've never seen another athlete accomplish what LeBron's done across his career. To roam here and roam there as his talent pleases, and each-friggin'-time producing a dominant, championship contender.

If it wasn't for having to go against the historical buzz-saw of the SF Warriors for four straight years, we're looking at an even more impressive finals record. Even so, dragging all those terrible Cavs teams to the finals is something NBA fans still fail to properly appreciate IMO.

Now, Jordan, Wilt and Kareem are still my homies in the GOAT debate, but... man. This LeBron guy keeps... keeps... almost keeps showing everyone what's up. Honestly, I've never seen another athlete / star across sports history do what LeBron keeps doing. It's absolutely jaw-dropping to me, partly because he keeps making it look so routine.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#588 » by MGrand15 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:49 pm

gigantes wrote:
Paradise wrote:https://external-preview.redd.it/H3pcSMkr6Yiv8oWT9eljZn8Bhuvwa35ppR2lDjFimEU.png?auto=webp&s=46ebe8f525d6b5bd5acfb26cd330d6ab97ac9e45

We’re coming, LeBron.

Speaking for myself, I'll feel quite fortunate if an aging Slim Reaper manages to recover from sports' most devastating injury, and a .500 team with major holes everywhere manages to come out of the East.

We're coming to wash your jock strap, LeBron! :D

(sorry Paradise, I always try to put my cynicism first, partly so as to be pleasantly surprised about being wrong)

Last night's championship is just an amazing accomplishment, though. I feel it all the more as someone who's typically neutral about LeBron. But this mofo just keeps roaming wherever he do, and since his rookie year, his team keeps awkwardly, hastily trying to piece together a good fit around him. And almost every time (even the championship years) it's a huge mess, and it's immediately obvious how mediocre the team is when Bron-Bron's not on the floor.

That's not really my point, though. Like, anytime you have a huge star, these are typical issues. What's different in this case is LeBron's ability to polish everyone around him to a white-hot shine so to speak. You just don't ordinarily see that. It's a rare ability, and the last time we had it with the Nets was during the Kidd years.

To the point, though-- across a multiple of sports, I've never seen another athlete accomplish what LeBron's done across his career. To roam here and roam there as his talent pleases, and each-friggin'-time producing a dominant, championship contender.

If it wasn't for having to go against the historical buzz-saw of the SF Warriors for four straight years, we're looking at an even more impressive finals record. Even so, dragging all those terrible Cavs teams to the finals is something NBA fans still fail to properly appreciate IMO.

Now, Jordan, Wilt and Kareem are still my homies in the GOAT debate, but... man. This LeBron guy keeps... keeps... almost keeps showing everyone what's up. Honestly, I've never seen another athlete / star across sports history do what LeBron keeps doing. It's absolutely jaw-dropping to me, partly because he keeps making it look so routine.

Yeah, I think after the fact, it's easy to paint this Laker team as obviously the best team in the league. After they traded for AD, there was a point where they only had LBJ, AD, Kuzma, and Caruso on the roster. There were a ton of question marks about their guard play and whether they had enough playmakers + shooters. Washed up Rondo was the only PG on the team. AD + LBJ played the same position. The 3rd best player debate was going on all year. Their half court offense was a question mark.

Just like all LBJ teams, by the time the playoffs roll around - they completely clean everything up. All roles are established. The rotations are ready to go. Everyone that plays contributes to a win. They have answers for everything. AD + Lebron have a lot of talent but they don't win without maximizing Rondo, Dwight, KCP, Caruso, Kuzma, etc. Brooklyn needs to prove they can do that at the highest level.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#589 » by therealbig3 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 pm

I realize I’m in the minority, but LeBron to me is the GOAT.

Regardless though, I have a clear top 4 of all time in my head, my personal Mt Rushmore of basketball (in no order): Russell, Kareem, LeBron, Jordan. To me, you can rank them 1-4 in any order and make a reasonable case for it. All of them with a legit argument for GOAT.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#590 » by therealbig3 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:48 pm

Also, wouldn’t mind if we were able to get Markieff Morris. Dumb play at the end of game 5 aside, he was the Lakers best 3 and D role player in these playoffs. Very versatile defender that can defend both wings and bigs, and he shot like 42% on 3s in the playoffs.

I think he’d fit perfectly next to Kyrie and KD.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#591 » by Papi_swav » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:31 pm

Well final the bubble season is done, now we can finally get to the good stuff, the offseason. Very excited to see what we do and what moves are made around the NBA. The HEAT has some cap space , wonder what they'll do.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#592 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:49 pm

therealbig3 wrote:I realize I’m in the minority, but LeBron to me is the GOAT.

Regardless though, I have a clear top 4 of all time in my head, my personal Mt Rushmore of basketball (in no order): Russell, Kareem, LeBron, Jordan. To me, you can rank them 1-4 in any order and make a reasonable case for it. All of them with a legit argument for GOAT.

The Mt. Rushmore idea surfaced for a little bit a year or two ago and I MUCH prefer that discussion than the MJ vs LBJ argument that has been beaten to death. People are firmly entrenched on both sides and I feel like both camps tend to overstate their preferred player's positives while minimizing both their negatives as well as the contributions of the other camp including the aforementioned Russell and Kareem.

With that said, I don't know how anyone can minimize 10 Finals. TEN attempts at vying for the title. Even if you want to delegitimize the 4 Heat runs, he still has 6 more trips to the Finals lol.

I know a certain talking head wants to put forth that KD and LBJ are on the same level. That's a bad take. KD has never been on LBJ's level and that's ok.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,447

Post#593 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:00 am

Disappointing end to a finals that was kind of boring. Outside of that incredible performance from Butler, this one was forgettable. Congrats to the Lakers, but I'm more concerned with the Nets taking over the East.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to Brooklyn Nets