Image ImageImage Image

Billy Donovan hired as next Bulls coach - Full coaching staff p43

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,124

Re: Billy Donovan hired as next Bulls coach - New coaching staff p39 

Post#781 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:05 pm

remember this thread? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1775177&start=120
good luck, karen! dunno if she was a good coach or not, she just always looked terrified sitting on the bench. don't blame her, bulls basketball the past couple years has been pretty scary
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#782 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:34 pm

We had someone from the Topic Thunder (Okc) podcast on to talk about Billy Donovan so I thought I'd post the link in here too.

Have a listen

Apple: https://apple.co/2GGwvmt
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/36VWMI7
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,001

Post#783 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:52 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:Brian Keefe and Mo Cheeks seem like 2 guys he’d bring along with him.

Mo Cheeks is always around Chicago, so I wouldn't be surprised at all by that.

I talked to him before their last season, he wasn't very excited about the Cp3/rebuild era but it turned out to be a great season for them.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Re: Billy Donovan hired as next Bulls coach 

Post#784 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Official

Read on Twitter

Oh so Chris Fleming is sticking around. Guess AK must have asked Billy to stick with him.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,951

Post#785 » by Chi town » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:49 am

Bring in Mo Cheeks for Coby. Teach some PG.

No coached me in a couple camps when I was a kid. Great teacher. Good dude.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,621

Post#786 » by dougthonus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:43 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:Oh so Chris Fleming is sticking around. Guess AK must have asked Billy to stick with him.

This is possible, but I'll also float the other fairly obvious possibility. Of our assistants, Fleming has, by far, the best reputation. Donovan may have just wanted to keep him.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#787 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:05 pm

Wasn't Flemming considered for the head coaches job earlier in the search?

I thought I saw a Knicks rumor about him too.
If true I don't picture the guy being happy working for Donovan, it's like you're always judging your boss because you thought you could do his job. That never works out well.

If Flemming is good, something will open.

Chi town wrote:Bring in Mo Cheeks for Coby. Teach some PG.

No coached me in a couple camps when I was a kid. Great teacher. Good dude.

I like that idea. Teach him DEFENSE
an assistant position is more suited for guys his age, it's not the full on coaching responsibility.
It's funny to think that Coby would have zero clue who Mo is and would have to watch some low def YouTubes to see some highlights.

I wonder why Doc wouldn't bring him back to Phila to work on the bench?

Why didn't we give him a shot?

and this is always fun to look at the old stats-

Mo played 1,100+ NBA Games-

took over 9,000 FG's and 2,300 FT's

He only took 204 3 point shots and made 50

Imagine what these guys think watching today's NBA 3 point chuckfest.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#788 » by Hangtime84 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:47 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:
Imagine what these guys think watching today's NBA 3 point chuckfest.

Quite a few believed they should have shot more 3s. Obviously some of the centers who mainly scored paint 2s unfortunately. :(
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#789 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:19 pm

dougthonus wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Oh so Chris Fleming is sticking around. Guess AK must have asked Billy to stick with him.

This is possible, but I'll also float the other fairly obvious possibility. Of our assistants, Fleming has, by far, the best reputation. Donovan may have just wanted to keep him.

Maybe. Hopefully we'll still get Mo Cheeks
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,621

Post#790 » by dougthonus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:26 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:Wasn't Flemming considered for the head coaches job earlier in the search?

I thought I saw a Knicks rumor about him too.
If true I don't picture the guy being happy working for Donovan, it's like you're always judging your boss because you thought you could do his job. That never works out well.

If Flemming is good, something will open.

He has been viewed as a head coaching candidate, but he hasn't landed a job. That should be a point in his favor and not a point against him. If every candidate that felt they could be a head coach was difficult to work with then they'd never make head coach. Instead, he has to work as an assistant somewhere.

Working for Donovan is probably a good role overall, Donovan has a great reputation in general, so that should be a point in his favor, and Donovan also seems to strongly advocate for his guys which is also a point in his favor.

I think you're being WAY too cynical in your view here. From a practical perspective, it simply wouldn't work that way or else you'd never move up.

I like that idea. Teach him DEFENSE
an assistant position is more suited for guys his age, it's not the full on coaching responsibility.
It's funny to think that Coby would have zero clue who Mo is and would have to watch some low def YouTubes to see some highlights.

I wonder why Doc wouldn't bring him back to Phila to work on the bench?

Why didn't we give him a shot?

Does Rivers have any connection to Cheeks that would make them an obvious pairing together? If you want to ask why someone didn't work at one particular place when there's no obvious reason he should work there, then the number of questions you can ask are infinite.

It's not like Cheeks has been unemployed this whole time, he's been an assistant every year since his last head coaching gig. Pretty obvious why he wouldn't have gone to the Bulls from the Thunder given the Thunder had a more talented HC to mentor him (to the extent he wants mentoring and wants to get back to being a HC) as well as a better cast of players to work with.

I've always liked Cheeks in the interviews I've seen him, still remember when he sang the anthem with that girl in Portland, always made me feel he as a really good guy. I'd be pretty excited about Mo Cheeks as an assistant, seems like a really good fit with Donovan and a players first type of guy.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Post#791 » by Jello Biafra » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 pm

ChicagoStrong wrote:I wonder who will be the next additions to the coaching staff.

Pete Myers, Pete Myers and Randy Brown.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#792 » by Jcool0 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#793 » by kodo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:06 pm

Sounds like Presti is also a player kind of guy.
I think not just Billy, but also Sam, everything started with Sam. I thought Sam did a great job of building that team and also being on the same page as the players. He’s a guy that you can talk to him every day, and he was a guy that was very honest with me since the beginning of the season. I have a great relationship with him too.

The Foreman style of GMing where you just act like the boss and the players are the peons isn't going to work in the modern NBA. Getting a pro player guy like Eversley who specializes in relationship handling was a good move IMO.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#794 » by TheStig » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:16 pm

kodo wrote:Sounds like Presti is also a player kind of guy.
I think not just Billy, but also Sam, everything started with Sam. I thought Sam did a great job of building that team and also being on the same page as the players. He’s a guy that you can talk to him every day, and he was a guy that was very honest with me since the beginning of the season. I have a great relationship with him too.

The Foreman style of GMing where you just act like the boss and the players are the peons isn't going to work in the modern NBA. Getting a pro player guy like Eversley who specializes in relationship handling was a good move IMO.

It still works. See Pat Riley. The important part is picking the right players. That's something Gar never could acomplish and when he did, he'd trade them for scraps.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Post#795 » by The Explorer » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Agreed, I think we'll see a major shift in the philosophy of hiring assistants. Forman is the same guy that ousted Ron Adams, who one of the top coaches in Kerr hired and valued. Just look at Joe Lacob's thinking, I hope Michael Reinsdorf takes note of this.

I think [Kerr] will be great. And he did the one big thing that I wanted more than anything else from Mark Jackson he just wouldn't do, in all honesty, which is hire the very best.

"Carte blanche. Take my wallet. Do whatever it is to get the best assistants there are in the world. Period. End of story. Don't want to hear it. And (Jackson's) answer . . . was, 'Well, I have the best staff.' No you don't. And so with Steve, very, very different."

"You can't have a staff underneath you that isn't that good," Lacob said. "And if you're going to get better, you've got to have really good assistants. You've got to have people that can be there to replace you. We all know this from all of our companies. It's . . . Management 101. A lot of people on the outside couldn't understand it when we (fired Jackson)."
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man
And1: 532

Post#796 » by Butler4thewin » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:25 pm

we should kick the wheels on cousins and look to trade up with wcj and something else so the new coach gets the guy he absolutely wants in the draft
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#797 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:08 pm

TheStig wrote:

It still works. See Pat Riley. The important part is picking the right players. That's something Gar never could acomplish and when he did, he'd trade them for scraps.

Riley has great relationships with a lot of his players though. Most love him and he gives them chances to succeed even when they screw up.
They get a bit mad when he moves on from them but overall he's not as bad as that reputations makes him out to be.
BullsFTW
Head Coach
And1: 1,893

Post#798 » by BullsFTW » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:19 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
TheStig wrote:

Riley has great relationships with a lot of his players though. Most love him and he gives them chances to succeed even when they screw up.
They get a bit mad when he moves on from them but overall he's not as bad as that reputations makes him out to be.

Wherever Pat Riley went, he was successful. He was a competitor and knew how to motivate his players. In my opinion, LeBron is too sensitive and couldn’t handle that pressure.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#799 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:25 pm

BullsFTW wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
TheStig wrote:It still works. See Pat Riley. The important part is picking the right players. That's something Gar never could acomplish and when he did, he'd trade them for scraps.

Wherever Pat Riley went, he was successful. He was a competitor and knew how to motivate his players. In my opinion, LeBron is too sensitive and couldn’t handle that pressure.

I think LeBron's issue has always been control since he was in Cleveland.
He had his way there but no one would join him. He went to the Heat but Riley was in full control. When he went back to Cleveland he exhausted the franchises assets to improve after they went all in and he couldn't control things. When he went to the Lakers they kissed his ass but Magic and Pelinka also convinced him to do things a little different.
He wanted to go big again and the Lakers had no problem with it since he is in that rare time of a athletes career where you cannot leave anything on the table to future seasons are the regression could come at any point.
BullsFTW
Head Coach
And1: 1,893

Post#800 » by BullsFTW » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:38 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
BullsFTW wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:

I think LeBron's issue has always been control since he was in Cleveland.
He had his way there but no one would join him. He went to the Heat but Riley was in full control. When he went back to Cleveland he exhausted the franchises assets to improve after they went all in and he couldn't control things. When he went to the Lakers they kissed his ass but Magic and Pelinka also convinced him to do things a little different.
He wanted to go big again and the Lakers had no problem with it since he is in that rare time of a athletes career where you cannot leave anything on the table to future seasons are the regression could come at any point.

LeBron is the biggest egotistical player in the NBA, but you have to be if you want to be great. He wanted control and only looked after himself. He’s a very intelligent person, but sometimes I question his sincerity. I feel he does a great job building his brand, but that comes with exhausting everything else around him to make himself look good. I don’t question his talent or his success, I just think he’s not the same type of quality player and person MJ was.

Return to Chicago Bulls