ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3081 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:The more footage I've watched the more I like Maledon or Smith the most for our pick IF we were lucky enough for either of them to fall that far which I really don't see happening as much anymore because if I see it then I'm sure some scout out there must.

As stands now players I think could drop and would be thrilled to get but doubtful:

Theo Maledon
Jalen Smith
Tyrrell Terry
Jaden McDaniels

My fallbacks I'd still be pretty happy with

Jah'mius Ramsey
Aleksej Pokusevski

Third tier that I'd just be kinda meh on but fit the kinda role players we tend to draft:

Zeke Nnaji
Isaiah Stewart
Elijah Hughes
Leandro Bolmaro (cooled on him quite a bit)

I do look forward though to seeing who drops that is supposed to go in that 10-20 range because you know it happens every year. My early guess is it could be McDaniels, Saddiq Bey or Cole Anthony.

Cole Anthony should drop to the late teens or early 20's. Saddiq Bey, I see as Caron Butler with better 3pt shooting. I would be amazing if he dropped to 29 for some reason! McDaniels could be Jonathan Bender 2.0. He should be somewhere in the 20's.

With Hughes, I was thinking, what makes him different than Anthony Edwards? Edwards does have a 7ft wingspan but doesn't result in much more defensive results. Edwards is 19.25 while Hughes is 22.5. With that Hughes is more polished while Edwards has more potential. Who knows, Edwards could end up being a bigger Dion Waiters and be an allstar. Hughes could be a poor man's Jimmy Butler. With the experience, Hughes has a slightly higher floor but a slightly lower ceiling.

I agree on Anthony and Bey, but unsure of Hughes comparison to Edwards. Meanwhile, I also think the wingspan matters, same as OG defensive number won't show on the stats sheet. However, Edwards does not have a 7 feet wingspan, I think he only has 6'9 wingspan.

Being draft at 29th, really it has nothing that excite/impress me. Therefore, I prefer to draft for potential, Josh Hall, Karim Mane, etc.

Oh, then Hughes and Edwards have the same 6'9 wingspan! I swear I read he had 7 ft.

https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/atnhony-edwards#/

Wow, here only 6'3 height but 6'10 wingspan!!! I guess we really need official measurements. :reporter:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/i3680f/what_is_anthony_edwards_real_wingspan/

I'm just going to hope that Mane drops to #59 as poor competition and didn't shoot that well from the shorter 3. He sounds worse than Terence Davis but more potential as he's younger. Though he's already 20 and will be 21 in May.

Project Josh Hall would be nice or upperclassman Hughes.

What makes Cole Anthony better than Hughes as a combo guard? I guess Anthony is more of a PG but he has 4 ast and 3.5 to per game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2020-02-29-16-syracuse.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2020-03-11-21-syracuse.html

Each had turns with a bad game.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#3082 » by JShuttlesworth » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:25 pm

When I brought up Elijah Hughes on page 79 Psubs questioned him being too old and whether he'd be better than Watson. What a 180

Anyways, Hughes remains my favourite player, I just like what I've seen from him and think his game will translate well to the NBA, at least offensively

Original Post:
Spoiler:
JShuttlesworth wrote:The player that I'm starting to like more and more with 28th pick is Elijah Hughes from Syracuse. I like him more than a lot of the other wings that are being talked about a lot more in this thread.

19.0 PPG / 4.9 RPG / 3.4 APG / .342 3P% (7.1 3PA) / 22.1 PER

He gives you size, shooting, and scoring on the wing. With all of our other weapons offensively, he would definitely get some open looks from three on the catch shoot from long range. I think you could get him into the rotation in the first year behind OG.

I like his overall demeanour in the interviews I've seen with him as well. I always try and get a sense of a players emotional intelligence, and how they perceive the game, based on what they say and act in interviews.

Guys like Saddiq Bey and Jaden McDaniels will likely be off the board by the time we pick. I don't see them falling that far. Someone will take Jaden in the lotto just based off his potential and size. If Saddiq happened to to be on the board at 28 that would definitely be interesting, but again, I can't imagine he's available. Call me crazy, but I'm not big on Bane, I know others love him as a prospect.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#3083 » by nabbs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:33 pm

DG88 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:
I can't find when they are doing measurements. Are they doing them as players come in individually?

Lol yeah when I said combine that's basically all I really cared about.
I'm still not sure based on this tweet.
I guess they just gonna randomly announce a few groups from now till the draft

This I believe is happening during the in market medicals, where teams will get that info.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
S ID
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,111

Post#3084 » by S ID » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:When I brought up Elijah Hughes on page 79 Psubs questioned him being too old and whether he'd be better than Watson. What a 180

Anyways, Hughes remains my favourite player, I just like what I've seen from him and think his game will translate well to the NBA, at least offensively

Original Post:
Spoiler:
JShuttlesworth wrote:The player that I'm starting to like more and more with 28th pick is Elijah Hughes from Syracuse. I like him more than a lot of the other wings that are being talked about a lot more in this thread.

19.0 PPG / 4.9 RPG / 3.4 APG / .342 3P% (7.1 3PA) / 22.1 PER

He gives you size, shooting, and scoring on the wing. With all of our other weapons offensively, he would definitely get some open looks from three on the catch shoot from long range. I think you could get him into the rotation in the first year behind OG.

I like his overall demeanour in the interviews I've seen with him as well. I always try and get a sense of a players emotional intelligence, and how they perceive the game, based on what they say and act in interviews.

Guys like Saddiq Bey and Jaden McDaniels will likely be off the board by the time we pick. I don't see them falling that far. Someone will take Jaden in the lotto just based off his potential and size. If Saddiq happened to to be on the board at 28 that would definitely be interesting, but again, I can't imagine he's available. Call me crazy, but I'm not big on Bane, I know others love him as a prospect.

I like him but him being from Syracuse scares me. The 1st round selections from there (since melo) aren't promising.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Atlantic-Coast-Conference/1/Syracuse/382/nba-draft
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3085 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:13 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Psubs wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
I don't understand the hype surrounding Watson. He's done pretty well for himself as a G-Leaguer but hasn't proven a lick in the NBA, and was underwhelming as a collegiate athlete to say the least.

I looked and his numbers were decent. His PPG were not great but there was usually an upperclassman taking more shots (Tyler Johnson was one). In his junior and senior season there were 2 other guards that shot well so his opportunities didn't increase.

One could say, Anthony Parker had a similar collegiate career for a small school and developed overseas. Watson stayed here and his 3 pt shot really clicked this season. He reminds me of Sonny Weems with a 3pt shot.

We'll see. Obviously I prefer if he develops into Sonny Weems with a 3, but I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong.

He did okay in one garbage time in the bubble! :nod:

Psubs
RealGM

Post#3086 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Psubs wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Bane is like a plug&play senior (Siakam, FVV, TD, all seniors). I think Nurse's system takes solid players and has them complement the team. Saddiq Bey is a no brainer at #28. I'm guessing he'll be like Mikal Bridges.

I'm just not big on Bane, I'm definitely not part of his hype train. Bane isn't even on my short list for the 28th pick (not that it matters).

I almost didn't include the bit about Bane in my original post, because I knew the topic would move to him, which it instantly did.

I like Bey on the the hand, he looks solid. I don't think a lot of what he does offensively in college will translate to the NBA with better / bigger defenders (at least right away). He'll be limited to more of a 3&D type of role, and he'll have to work on his catch and shoot....But Saddiq isn't going to be on the board, so I don't think he's worth talking about too much.

With regards to the beefy TRoss comparison. I would argue a beefy TRoss with the 28th pick would be a steal.

I mean beefy as a less high flying version. Just something the Raptors don't need with Powell, TD and Watson.

For me the Mendoza line is Paul Watson. Hughes is a 22 year old so not that young. Will he be better than Watson? If not, should focus on a combo forward or PF/C.

As for Bane, he's just an anomaly that he's so muscular but shoots the ball so well from deep. Most of the shooters that shoot over 40% from 3 are not so ripped. :droop: :football: :lift: He's like a stronger, better shooting and passing Josh Hart.

https://hoopshype.com/2020/04/09/2020-nba-draft-stock-desmond-bane-tcu-horned-frogs/

I'd rather have a big like Tillman or (Carey, Smith, etc) but would be okay with Bane and his shooting.

I jut thought that the team needed a big more.

I admittedly did not research enough on Hughes and he has better play-making running things than just a SG, which is useful.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,856

Post#3087 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:42 pm

Read on Twitter
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
wtfbosh
Veteran
And1: 444

Post#3088 » by wtfbosh » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 am

Nathan Knight from William and Mary's worked out for the Raps, I think. He posted a pic in Raptors practice gear
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#3089 » by DG88 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:11 am

wtfbosh wrote:Nathan Knight from William and Mary's worked out for the Raps, I think. He posted a pic in Raptors practice gear

He was brought up before earlier in this thread. Really interesting C prospect with some guard skills. Almost the C version of Pascal.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3090 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:16 am

wtfbosh wrote:Nathan Knight from William and Mary's worked out for the Raps, I think. He posted a pic in Raptors practice gear

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2020/09/elijah-hughes-preps-near-albany-for-the-nba-draft-he-wants-it-that-bad.html

He has the same agency as Elijah Hughes, and Knight recently joined him working out in NY.

#29 Hughes
#59 Knight
WeTheNorth123
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,363

Post#3091 » by WeTheNorth123 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:17 am

DG88 wrote:

He was brought up before earlier in this thread. Really interesting C prospect with some guard skills. Almost the C version of Pascal.

i had no idea who this guy was but after seeing the highlights, he seems like a decent prospect!
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#3092 » by Red_Claw » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:24 am

DG88 wrote:

Just looked him up....if he's available at 59 and we don't pick him, i won't be happy...

Psubs
RealGM

Post#3093 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:53 am

WeTheNorth123 wrote:i had no idea who this guy was but after seeing the highlights, he seems like a decent prospect!

Rather use the pick on an international player. I'd rather just sign Knight to the 905.

There's a long video it's honest and he looks awful sometimes. Rather get Diakite at 6'9.

I was looking at Diakite and saw his teammate Jay Huff who withdrew from the draft. He's going back but will be 23 for the next draft.

Though he looks like he could be a decent backup big, but I think the Raptors traded next year's 2nd pick to salary dump someone. :(

He looks more useful than Tacko Fall. Maybe a lankier Frank Kaminsky?
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#3094 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:12 am

DAcReator wrote:
Indeed wrote:
DAcReator wrote:Not to be a downer, but is anyone slightly annoyed that we finished the season half a game better than the Lakers just to be 1 pick below them in the draft while they are in the finals.

Plus Homecourt never mattered so just sucks all around :banghead:

No, the 25th pick and below range is about the same tier, and is all the way down for a few 10 - 15 spots.
Besides, most teams above us (probably except Boston) will look for NBA ready players (win now), while we maybe more focus on potential with our development league.

On one hand I agree, however, with the lakers being able to easily acquire free agents to fill their voids during the offseason, I can see them being ok with drafting a long term prospect. I doubt thats the case but its still a possibility

You think so? I don't think that makes sense with a 35 year old Lebron James. They'll draft a win now type of player or trade their pick for a win now player.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#3095 » by pr0gr4m » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:46 pm

The reason I like Maledon and Hughes the most is I see them with low bust potential or high floors.

The jump from the NCAA to the NBA is larger than Europe to the NBA. Europe is a lot better and teaches players to read plays better and react according to what's best for the team. Younger players tend to generally get fewer minutes and will be more conditioned to put work in and have a low ego. They also compete against ex NBA players and a much better talent pool. Maledon will eventually be at the very least a good role player, if his tools get better or figures out adjustments he could be an all star.

I doubt Maledon is in our range though, we would definitely need to trade up for him. I would say it would be worth it. He would be a great PG if Lowry can help develop him. A backcourt of Davis/Maledon along with a front court of Giannis/Siakam/OG would be able to lockdown any offense in the league.

Giannis
Siakam
OG
Davis/Powell
Maledon
nabbs
RealGM

Post#3096 » by nabbs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:00 pm

This year will be incredibly hard for teams man. They won’t be able to conceal who they are considering and which players are on their big board.... with only 10 prospects, it’ll tip every teams’ hand.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#3097 » by Indeed » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 pm

DG88 wrote:

May not has as much vertical as Siakam / Vernon Carey, but a decent prospect for a backup role. 7'2 wingspan is good for PF and some C minutes. Most likely undrafted if Carey isn't even a 1st round pick.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#3098 » by Dalek » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:23 pm

Indeed wrote:
DG88 wrote:

May not has as much vertical as Siakam / Vernon Carey, but a decent prospect for a backup role. 7'2 wingspan is good for PF and some C minutes. Most likely undrafted if Carey isn't even a 1st round pick.

Good news to hear they are doing workouts with prospects now. Toronto usually workouts like 50 prospects for the draft and many of them they keep tabs on even if they don't draft or sign them as free agents right away. Knight could be in the mix at 59, but he is likely in a cluster of developmental bigs that they will look at.

Remember, Toronto worked out Paul Watson for the draft in 2017. He then went to Europe for a couple years, played in the G-League for the Knicks, then came to the 905 where he eventually ended up at the big club. Knight is probably on a similar path.

If Toronto worked out Hughes as well because they have the same agent, well that just may mean that was what the agent had available for Toronto. Overall, I think Knight is a decent big who if he keeps working on his shot could end up like Dwayne Dedmon type, which is useful as a bench player. Watching his film he does look agile like he could be good at beating people down the court. I don't think Toronto will abide by for any plodders. He also logged a ton of minutes and has no injuries that I know of.

The other thing to note is he is a Mid-Major prospect, so these types probably warrant a deeper look because honestly, how much film or times are you going to go to Williamsburg, Virginia to scout. I hope they look at other Mid-Major guys like Malachi Flynn, Trevelin Queen, and Yoeli Childs.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#3099 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:33 pm

nabbs wrote:This year will be incredibly hard for teams man. They won’t be able to conceal who they are considering and which players are on their big board.... with only 10 prospects, it’ll tip every teams’ hand.

Is it just 10 total? What if you have like 6 draft picks? :-?
nabbs
RealGM

Post#3100 » by nabbs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:25 pm

Psubs wrote:
nabbs wrote:This year will be incredibly hard for teams man. They won’t be able to conceal who they are considering and which players are on their big board.... with only 10 prospects, it’ll tip every teams’ hand.

Is it just 10 total? What if you have like 6 draft picks? :-?

Yeah it's only 10 you are allowed to bring in for an in person workout

Return to Toronto Raptors