ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back)

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#2001 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:48 pm

tarantism wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
tarantism wrote:
Sabonis is a nice player but he doesn't really fit our style. He's a post up/pick and roll big who needs touches to be effective. Turner fits in perfectly by contrast as he is the exact opposite.

Sent from my LM-X220PM using RealGM mobile app

Sabonis would fit great. He moves himself and the ball, his BBIQ is high and his skill is high.
Yes but he is not a center and we don't want Draymond always defending the best big on the floor.

Sabonis is a center and his fit with the Warriors would be a dream for Kerr. He's a post up/pick and roll big who is a very good passer. You can stick him above the free throw line and run the offense through him up there, you can put him in the post when the Steph/Klay run split post actions and he can actually get a bucket in those situations.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#2002 » by tarantism » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
tarantism wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Sabonis would fit great. He moves himself and the ball, his BBIQ is high and his skill is high.
Yes but he is not a center and we don't want Draymond always defending the best big on the floor.

Sabonis is a center and his fit with the Warriors would be a dream for Kerr. He's a post up/pick and roll big who is a very good passer. You can stick him above the free throw line and run the offense through him up there, you can put him in the post when the Steph/Klay run split post actions and he can actually get a bucket in those situations.
I'm not disagreeing about his offensive prowess or fit with GSW on that end. Sabonis is undersized for a 5 and is not a rim protector. He is not slow, but doesn't fit the "long, athletic" description. His quickness stems more from his high level of skill than actual speed - though, again, he's not some lumbering big man. He is a nice player but not what we need right now. Turner is a much better fit if we are actually choosing between the two.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#2003 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Sabonis is an Allstar there is no doubt. But, we are not supposed to be building the best scoring lineup, we are supposed to be building the best mix of scoring and defense at the moment. We had a scoring lineup last year with DLO but it was crap and we could not defend anything.

Sabonis is nice but there is no season he has ever averaged more than 0.5 blks/game or even 1 stl/game. That is concerning for a C. His lateral quickness is also giving me a lot of doubt and he doesn't even jump high. He is just a smart and strong player and hoping his IQ will put him in the right spots for defense, boxing out and rebounding. But with his plantar fasciitis injury, that even magnifies his ability to defend. AD and Bron will abuse him and play him off the floor and we spent all our assets on that?

Passing bigs are nice and all but we need bigs that can shoot to take AD out of the paint. I think Jokic is a better defender than Sabonis and look how that turned out. Milsap and Grant are also bigger than Draymond. Maybe Garry Harris was the weakest link?
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#2004 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:21 pm

TB wrote:
Onus wrote:
TB wrote:
I just don't see Gasol as someone we can rely on throughout the season for heavy minutes when needed. Center is a position we actually have depth at... Chriss, Loon, Dray, Smiley can all play minutes there. I think we use MLE on a versatile wing, and if for some reason we luck out and get an Ibaka/Poeltl type of player for MLE, we should be trading Looney for a wing since both of those guys can play 25+ minutes while letting Chriss/Dray do the rest.

How i'd rank my solves for center:

1) luck out and get Ibaka/Poeltl for MLE, trade Looney for a wing (ideally Kennard for our 21st pick)
2) draft Wiseman
3) just roll with smallball Chriss/Loon/Dray/Smiley
4) drop a Ky/Lee type and pickup a vet min center

What wing do you think is coming for the mle when that is the most coveted position?

Ya not having a wing available for the MLE is a definite concern. It's slim picking....

Crowder
Harkless
Harris (ya this isn't happening but make the call anyways)
Dunn (pg but defends multiple positions)
Jones Jr
Hood
Forbes
Rivers
GR3

Would be an amazing front office job if they could talk a player like Ibaka, Crowder, Harris or Dunn into the MLE... or if Spurs don't match Poeltl. Those are best case scenarios IMO.

I would give Hood a look, or harkless. This team is badly in need of rotation wings. And not only rotation wings, but affordable ones. I don't like dunn at all for this team. He is probably one of the worst offensive point guards in the league.

I've always wanted crowder but his value probably went up a bit after the playoffs and probably prices us out.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#2005 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:25 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
TB wrote:
Onus wrote:What wing do you think is coming for the mle when that is the most coveted position?

Ya not having a wing available for the MLE is a definite concern. It's slim picking....

Crowder
Harkless
Jones Jr
Hood
Forbes
Rivers
GR3

Would be an amazing front office job if they could talk a player like Ibaka, Crowder, Harris or Dunn into the MLE... or if Spurs don't match Poeltl. Those are best case scenarios IMO.

I would give Hood a look, or harkless. This team is badly in need of rotation wings. And not only rotation wings, but affordable ones. I don't like dunn at all for this team. He is probably one of the worst offensive point guards in the league.

I've always wanted crowder but his value probably went up a bit after the playoffs and probably prices us out.

Hood was a very solid player, but he just tore his achilles last year and he's got a player option. He'd be a fool to opt out of it and there's no guarantee he comes back to be the player he was.
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#2006 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:33 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
TB wrote:

Crowder
Harkless
Jones Jr
Hood
Forbes
Rivers
GR3

Hood was a very solid player, but he just tore his achilles last year and he's got a player option. He'd be a fool to opt out of it and there's no guarantee he comes back to be the player he was.

Ah, sorry I did not decide to look up his FA status and I also did not know he tore the achilles. Man really slim pickings for us : (
GR3 played pretty well as a warrior, wouldnt mind having him back on the team.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#2007 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:39 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:

Ah, sorry I did not decide to look up his FA status and I also did not know he tore the achilles. Man really slim pickings for us : (

I'd be comfortable wagering some insignificant amount of money on GRIII making a return to the Warriors. He played sparingly in Philadelphia and was terrible shooting the ball before the bubble. Then he got hurt during the bubble and didn't play a single minute in the playoffs. I'm sure he was hoping to raise his value on the FA market by showing he could be a positive contributor to a playoff team, but he didn't get the opportunity to do that. That coupled with the league's precarious financial situation with COVID makes me think GRIII could be gettable at the vet minimum.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,238

Post#2008 » by Onus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

I'd be comfortable wagering some insignificant amount of money on GRIII making a return to the Warriors. He played sparingly in Philadelphia and was terrible shooting the ball before the bubble. Then he got hurt during the bubble and didn't play a single minute in the playoffs. I'm sure he was hoping to raise his value on the FA market by showing he could be a positive contributor to a playoff team, but he didn't get the opportunity to do that. That coupled with the league's precarious financial situation with COVID makes me think GRIII could be gettable at the vet minimum.

This is most likely why the warriors have been saying they’re looking for wings in the draft. Free agency is slim pickings while they’ll be able to find a center in fa
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#2009 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:52 pm

Onus wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:

This is most likely why the warriors have been saying they’re looking for wings in the draft. Free agency is slim pickings while they’ll be able to find a center in fa

Yeah, I'm with you. If I had any confidence Advija would be the one historical outlier of guys who can't shoot free throws and turn into consistent NBA shooters, he'd be my pick. Otherwise, kinda hoping to trade down for Vassell or Williams while picking up Mitchell Robinson or swinging one of the Myles Turner trades.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Post#2010 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:54 pm

Wiseman is our best bet to solidify our 5 spot. These FA 4s and 5s are demanding big bucks, staying with their original team, or just can't provide what we need out of them. End of discussion.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,238

Post#2011 » by Onus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:05 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Wiseman is our best bet to solidify our 5 spot. These FA 4s and 5s are demanding big bucks, staying with their original team, or just can't provide what we need out of them. End of discussion.

Or use the MLE for GRIII to back up Wiggins.

If people are expecting Javale McGee out of wiseman year 1 then you for sure can get that out of mle in free agency.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#2012 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:55 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Onus wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

Yeah, I'm with you. If I had any confidence Advija would be the one historical outlier of guys who can't shoot free throws and turn into consistent NBA shooters, he'd be my pick. Otherwise, kinda hoping to trade down for Vassell or Williams while picking up Mitchell Robinson or swinging one of the Myles Turner trades.

I totally feel theres a chance we end up baynes or whiteside and then use the #2 to either draft or trade for a wing. Would solve a lot of issues to have a starter quality wing coming off the bench at some point during the season. Hopefully whoever we draft can be a positive contributor in his rookie year. That would be a coupe
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#2013 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:57 pm

Onus wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Wiseman is our best bet to solidify our 5 spot. These FA 4s and 5s are demanding big bucks, staying with their original team, or just can't provide what we need out of them. End of discussion.

Or use the MLE for GRIII to back up Wiggins.

If people are expecting Javale McGee out of wiseman year 1 then you for sure can get that out of mle in free agency.

Ultimately, we want the best player, not just for next season but the next 5-10+ years. Either way we will be getting a nice prospect at a position of need (starting center or guard/wing depth) so I am excited with whichever route they decide and its good to have options. I just hope they make the right decision :pray:
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#2014 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:44 pm

tarantism wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
tarantism wrote:Yes but he is not a center and we don't want Draymond always defending the best big on the floor.

I'm not disagreeing about his offensive prowess or fit with GSW on that end. Sabonis is undersized for a 5 and is not a rim protector. He is not slow, but doesn't fit the "long, athletic" description. His quickness stems more from his high level of skill than actual speed - though, again, he's not some lumbering big man. He is a nice player but not what we need right now. Turner is a much better fit if we are actually choosing between the two.

I would choose Sabonis over Turner for the Warriors every day and twice on Sunday. You get the best player and figure it out and he's a much better player than Turner is.

That's not to say that I think it's at all likely.

I'm willing to support the Wiseman move even though I don't have the confidence about it some do. I think it's entirely possible he would get well under 15 minutes a game as a rookie
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#2015 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:10 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
Onus wrote:This is most likely why the warriors have been saying they’re looking for wings in the draft. Free agency is slim pickings while they’ll be able to find a center in fa

I totally feel theres a chance we end up baynes or whiteside and then use the #2 to either draft or trade for a wing. Would solve a lot of issues to have a starter quality wing coming off the bench at some point during the season. Hopefully whoever we draft can be a positive contributor in his rookie year. That would be a coupe

I really don't want Whiteside for anything more than the vet min. He's worse than Dwight Howard.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#2016 » by BW32 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:15 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
Onus wrote:This is most likely why the warriors have been saying they’re looking for wings in the draft. Free agency is slim pickings while they’ll be able to find a center in fa

The draft happens before free agency.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#2017 » by tarantism » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:44 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
tarantism wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

I would choose Sabonis over Turner for the Warriors every day and twice on Sunday. You get the best player and figure it out and he's a much better player than Turner is.

I'm willing to support the Wiseman move even though I don't have the confidence about it some do. I think it's entirely possible he would get well under 15 minutes a game as a rookie
If they hypothetically went with Sabonis then they still need to get an athletic big man who can protect the rim and ideally space the floor offensively. They would probably only have the MLE and minimum contacts available at that point.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#2018 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:50 pm

tarantism wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
tarantism wrote:I'm not disagreeing about his offensive prowess or fit with GSW on that end. Sabonis is undersized for a 5 and is not a rim protector. He is not slow, but doesn't fit the "long, athletic" description. His quickness stems more from his high level of skill than actual speed - though, again, he's not some lumbering big man. He is a nice player but not what we need right now. Turner is a much better fit if we are actually choosing between the two.

If they hypothetically went with Sabonis then they still need to get an athletic big man who can protect the rim and ideally space the floor offensively. They would probably only have the MLE and minimum contacts available at that point.

Sabonis rates as a good defender by every advanced metric out there, PIPM, RPM, BPM, RAPTOR. I generally agree that floor spacing is important for this team, especially with Draymond's shot getting worse with each year, but Sabonis is such a good passer and smart offensive player that I'd be a little less concerned about that than I would with other players.
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#2019 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:12 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

I really don't want Whiteside for anything more than the vet min. He's worse than Dwight Howard.

Yea, I think whiteside's value is low enough where we can get him at a reasonable price. That's if we end up drafting a wing and have no other options at center. I would take whiteside for cheap in that scenario because I just don't trust looney/chriss as the only rotation centers on the roster.
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#2020 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:13 pm

BW32 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

The draft happens before free agency.

Then I mean draft/trade for a wing and then end up with a baynes/whiteside.

Return to Golden State Warriors