ImageImageImageImageImage

Kerr: “Right now, we're not big enough or athletic enough

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Re: Kerr: “Right now, we're not big enough or athletic enough 

Post#81 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Maybe this is a plea to Myers for Wiseman. When Kerr was GM of the suns he went big with shaq/amare.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#82 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:39 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Bottom line is that Wiseman gives our center rotation the finishing piece. That’s four guys to throw at Anthony Davis including Draymond.

Plus Wiseman has the huge upside. We can contend for a title with him as a rookie and continue the contention as he gets better and better.

To me it’s a no brainer.

And the issue hasn't changed ... is he going to develop enough, is he going to develop fast enough that his 2nd contract isn't going to come up before they know if he can be a star?

Missing on a #2 pick is even worse for a franchise if they don't find out if they missed until the 2nd contract.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#83 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:40 pm

Mylie10 wrote:He’s looked dominant in workouts and in the runs with other high level NBA draft prospects.

No one ever listens to us man. Wiseman will be the BPA in this draft. I have said it countless times I'm tired of even talking. Now if this news gets out minny might pick him. And I'll be so pissed
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#84 » by northoakland510 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:41 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Bottom line is that Wiseman gives our center rotation the finishing piece. That’s four guys to throw at Anthony Davis including Draymond.

Plus Wiseman has the huge upside. We can contend for a title with him as a rookie and continue the contention as he gets better and better.

To me it’s a no brainer.

And the issue hasn't changed ... is he going to develop enough, is he going to develop fast enough that his 2nd contract isn't going to come up before they know if he can be a star?

Missing on a #2 pick is even worse for a franchise if they don't find out if they missed until the 2nd contract.

Are any of these other players going to develop? We do not know, what if the player who are ready stop getting better?
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#85 » by northoakland510 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:42 pm

northoakland510 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

To me it’s a no brainer.

Are any of these other players going to develop? We do not know, what if the players who are ready stop getting better?
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#86 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:43 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

Wiseman has a higher floor than he has shown or that people realize. I can get why people have not seen it but He is actually better than McGee in my opinion. He is close to Drummond with a Jumper
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#87 » by TB » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:12 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Wiseman has a higher floor than he has shown or that people realize. I can get why people have not seen it but He is actually better than McGee in my opinion. He is close to Drummond with a Jumper

I think you are correct about having the higher floor than people realize. And I think he will be better than Drummond eventually. But I definitely don't think he will be even close to Drummond level as a rookie. Drummond has led the league in rebounding multiple times, consistently gets 3 stocks a game, has always had a really good D rating on bad teams, has gotten close to 3 apg, and even started shooting 3 3's a game with cleveland. The odds of Wiseman being that as a 19 year old is slim to none.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#88 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:24 pm

TB wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

I think you are correct about having the higher floor than people realize. And I think he will be better than Drummond eventually. But I definitely don't think he will be even close to Drummond level as a rookie. Drummond has led the league in rebounding multiple times, consistently gets 3 stocks a game, has always had a really good D rating on bad teams, has gotten close to 3 apg, and even started shooting 3 3's a game with cleveland. The odds of Wiseman being that as a 19 year old is slim to none.

I actually had a reason for naming Drummond, because I believe Wiseman one elite skill is rebounding. That's something that I have confidence will translate from him. All Drummond does is rebound anyways and sits in the paint jacking up shots to pad his rebound/offensive rebound stats . I used to watch alot of bad teams play, I know alot about their players
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#89 » by TB » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:33 pm

ShayDee wrote:
TB wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

I actually had a reason for naming Drummond, because I believe Wiseman one elite skill is rebounding. That's something that I have confidence will translate from him. All Drummond does is rebound anyways and sits in the paint jacking up shots to pad his rebound/offensive rebound stats . I used to watch alot of bad teams play, I know alot about their players

I also think his rebounding is going to transition to NBA and he will be near the top of the league in that regard. Something we desperately need.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#90 » by Onus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:55 pm

TB wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
TB wrote:

I also think his rebounding is going to transition to NBA and he will be near the top of the league in that regard. Something we desperately need.

Wiseman should have a role coming into the league just based on his floor. Will he be able to guard in space? Will he be able to improve his offense to be an actual unicorn. Right now his shot is all a projection that he should be able to shoot because his stroke looks good. But he hasn’t actually proven he can shoot in game situations.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#91 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:57 pm

Onus wrote:
TB wrote:
ShayDee wrote:I actually had a reason for naming Drummond, because I believe Wiseman one elite skill is rebounding. That's something that I have confidence will translate from him. All Drummond does is rebound anyways and sits in the paint jacking up shots to pad his rebound/offensive rebound stats . I used to watch alot of bad teams play, I know alot about their players

Wiseman should have a role coming into the league just based on his floor. Will he be able to guard in space? Will he be able to improve his offense to be an actual unicorn. Right now his shot is all a projection that he should be able to shoot because his stroke looks good. But he hasn’t actually proven he can shoot in game situations.

What does shoot mean? Mid range or 3 point shooting? Because he is above average mirange shooter
Onus
RealGM

Post#92 » by Onus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:
TB wrote:

What does shoot mean? Mid range or 3 point shooting? Because he is above average mirange shooter

Idk how accurate this is:
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/James-Wiseman/Summary/107990

But this blurb has him at 4-27 for eybl for 3 point shooting
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2019/12/21/21031750/james-wiseman-nba-draft-2020-memphis-tigers-scouting-report
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#93 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2019/12/21/21031750/james-wiseman-nba-draft-2020-memphis-tigers-scouting-report

You didn't answer my question though. I said he is a really good mid range shooter. That alone is better than any big we've had other than David West or Cousins
Onus
RealGM

Post#94 » by Onus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:15 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

You didn't answer my question though. I said he is a really good mid range shooter. That alone is better than any big we've had other than David West or Cousins

3 point shooting.

And “he is a good mid range shooter” is not a question.

He took like 3 shots outside of the paint in college. So not sure what you’re basing that on because his ft and 3 point shooting in hs wasn’t good. And please do not point to his highlights as him hitting shots. He shot 55% from the ft line and under 15% from 3 in hs. I agree his form looks fine and he should become a decent shooter at some point, but he hasn’t proven it in game situations.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#95 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:31 pm

Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

3 point shooting.

He took like 3 shots outside of the paint in college. So not sure what you’re basing that on because his ft and 3 point shooting in hs wasn’t good. And please do not point to his highlights as him hitting shots. He shot 55% from the ft line and under 15% from 3 in hs. I agree his form looks fine and he should become a decent shooter at some point, but he hasn’t proven it in game situations.

The question was "What does shooting mean?". Since you answered it, he attempted alot of jumpers in college as well as 1 3point shot that wasn't a bad miss with an ugly form. He made 3 of those jumpers in those 3 games which is very promising. His jumper is not broken. We have Centers on our team that team leave open at 18ft to the basket all the time. If Wiseman is hitting those shots at a high clip then that is enough spacing me, because Wiseman is actually one of those bigs that can beat the other off the dribble and score. The other big will be forced to foul him.

Anyone that takes AD away from directly under the paint or put AD in foul trouble is huge for us. Plus Wiseman 3 games were several months ago. It's not outlandish to believe he can be a 34% 3point shooter right now

Even if that is not an NBA defender, Wiseman has taken this shot multiple times in college and high school and made a high clip. It's almost his signature move now
Onus
RealGM

Post#96 » by Onus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:45 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

3 point shooting.

The question is what does shooting mean. Since you answered it, he attempted alot of jumpers in college as well as 1 3point shot that wasn't a bad miss with an ugly form. He made 3 of those jumpers in those 3 games which is very promising. His jumper is not broken. We have Centers on our team that team leave open at 18ft to the basket all the time. If Wiseman is hitting those shots at a high clip then that is enough spacing me, because Wiseman is actually one of those bigs that can beat the other off the dribble and score. The other big will be forced to foul him.

Anyone that takes AD away from directly under the paint or put AD in foul trouble is huge for us. Plus Wiseman 3 games were several months ago. It's not outlandish to believe he can be a 34% 3point shooter right now

Even if that is not an NBA defender, Wiseman has taken this shot multiple times in college and high school and made a high clip. It's almost his signature move now

34% 3 point shooter right now is outlandish. That’s just pure conjecture based on highlights, mixtapes and hope. His shot looks good and he hits them in his mixtapes but his stats show that he doesn’t hit them with regularity. Maybe he’s a 70% ft shooter from the small sample size in college but in hs he was 55%.

I don’t really care what he does offensively to be honest. Bare minimum he will be a vertical spacer and finisher. If he can end up being a shooter then even better. But my biggest thing is will he be able to defend in space or is he going to be relegated to being a drop back big? What happens when a nba all star has him in isolation because that will happen constantly Whether that’s Lebron, harden, dame, etc. Thats what’s going to determine whether or not he’ll be able to close games.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#97 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 pm

Onus wrote:34% 3 point shooter right now is outlandish. That’s just pure conjecture based on highlights, mixtapes and hope. His shot looks good and he hits them in his mixtapes but his stats show that he doesn’t hit them with regularity. Maybe he’s a 70% ft shooter from the small sample size in college but in hs he was 55%.

I don’t really care what he does offensively to be honest. Bare minimum he will be a vertical spacer and finisher. If he can end up being a shooter then even better. But my biggest thing is will he be able to defend in space or is he going to be relegated to being a drop back big? What happens when a nba all star has him in isolation because that will happen constantly Whether that’s Lebron, harden, dame, etc. Thats what’s going to determine whether or not he’ll be able to close games.

How much defending in space do you think most if not all 7fters can do? Every single good perimeter plater will always blow by them. No exceptions. What matters is if you can move you feet well enough to prevent the initial blow by to the rim and if you are lengthy and good enough to block the shot at the rim. Wiseman is agile enough to defend in space, more agile than most starting Cs in the league now

Read on Twitter

He moves his feet well at the end

Also the few possessions he defended in space he did fine contesting without fouling. His length is a real problem for the opposition , will be a struggle trying to shoot over him. Payton Pritchard just hit a tough shot imo
Onus
RealGM

Post#98 » by Onus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:17 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:34% 3 point shooter right now is outlandish. That’s just pure conjecture based on highlights, mixtapes and hope. His shot looks good and he hits them in his mixtapes but his stats show that he doesn’t hit them with regularity. Maybe he’s a 70% ft shooter from the small sample size in college but in hs he was 55%.

How much defending in space do you think most if not all 7fters can do? Every single good perimeter plater will always blow by them. No exceptions. What matters is if you can move you feet well enough to prevent the initial blow by to the rim and if you are lengthy and good enough to block the shot at the rim. Wiseman is agile enough to defend in space, more agile than most starting Cs in the league now

Read on Twitter

Also the few possessions he defended in space he did fine contesting without fouling. His length is a real problem for the opposition , will be a struggle trying to shoot over him. Payton Pritchard just hit a tough shot imo

Most if not all 7ft don’t close the game. There’s very few that do. Ad and Giannis can. Then you have other 7ft people who’s offense game is soo good that they’re ok with compromising their defense. And that’s the question will he be able to do it all defensively. If he can he’s the best prospect hands down. If he cant he’s limited and won’t be able to close games for you without compromising your defense
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#99 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:20 pm

Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

Read on Twitter

Most if not all 7ft don’t close the game. There’s very few that do. Ad and Giannis can. Then you have other 7ft people who’s offense game is soo good that they’re ok with compromising their defense. And that’s the question will he be able to do it all defensively. If he can he’s the best prospect hands down. If he cant he’s limited and won’t be able to close games for you without compromising your defense

His offense can be good enough. Gobert closes games for Jazz and he sucks on offense. Maybe not year 1 but down the line I believe Wiseman will be a force in this league. That warrants the #1 pick in this draft in my opinion. Also in his rookie year he will put up very good stats
Onus
RealGM

Post#100 » by Onus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:30 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:

Read on Twitter

His offense can be good enough. Gobert closes games for Jazz and he sucks on offense. Maybe not year 1 but down the line I believe Wiseman will be a force in this league. That warrants the #1 pick in this draft in my opinion. Also in his rookie year he will put up very good stats

Gobert is great in the regular season but he has serious limitations that get exposed in the playoffs. I’m not sure you can win with him, because he’s essentially giving up free shots because he’s a drop back big.

Return to Golden State Warriors