ImageImageImage

Ben Simmons for the No. 1 Pick?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Would you trade the No. 1 pick, Culver, Johnson, Spellman, and Evans for Ben Simmons?

Yes, in heart beat. All NBA defender and 3rd star to pair with KAT & DLo
86%
No, giving too much and Simmons can't shoot
14%

Total votes: 66

Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Re: Ben Simmons for the No. 1 Pick? 

Post#181 » by Killboard » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:04 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Killboard wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
A replacement for Paul in 2 seasons or they could go Anthony Edwards.

Yes, get a better fit for Embiid now and get a high upside player with 9 years of control on a moderate contract. Still think they could send the 1st and Horford to OKC and clean up the financial mess they made.

Zero chance Okc take Horford’s 3 years 81 million for only a 1st. Kevin OConner says Okc doesn’t want bad money and maximum flexibility for 2021.

Maybe Philadelphia has to send more picks/assets. If I was OKC I would take bad money/assets a year or two and reload as hard as I can to maximize my own picks.
NattaNerNutta
Freshman
And1: 48

Post#182 » by NattaNerNutta » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:24 pm

Did we just happen to drift into the perfect storm get Ben Simmons?

First there was chatter about Doc possibly wanting to move up to get Melo. And now with Morey signing on as Philly's new GM this seems like an ideal line of communication for the Wolves and 76er's to work out a deal.

I honestly cant think of a better GM to be hired by Philly to facilitate something like this.
Howard Cosell
Rookie
And1: 263

Post#183 » by Howard Cosell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Yes.

The answer is absolutely yes.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,511

Post#184 » by Worm Guts » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:01 pm

NattaNerNutta wrote:Did we just happen to drift into the perfect storm get Ben Simmons?

First there was chatter about Doc possibly wanting to move up to get Melo. And now with Morey signing on as Philly's new GM this seems like an ideal line of communication for the Wolves and 76er's to work out a deal.

I honestly cant think of a better GM to be hired by Philly to facilitate something like this.

I am more inclined to think Morey is the type of GM that would keep Simmons. Morey was always looking for ways to acquire superstars.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#185 » by jpatrick » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:11 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
NattaNerNutta wrote:Did we just happen to drift into the perfect storm get Ben Simmons?

I am more inclined to think Morey is the type of GM that would keep Simmons. Morey was always looking for ways to acquire superstars.

Interesting hire. They just gave Elton Brand some assurances he’d be in charge. I guess not.

I too think this makes them less likely to trade Simmons, as Morey is a star acquisition guy. However, he is also an analytics guy and the 76ers clunky offense has no spacing or three point shooting, which is a big analytic no-no.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,813

Post#186 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

All depends on how committed he is to the small-ball and 3-point launching. Personally, I don't think Simmons is a deterrent for Morey. It's not like Simmons is choosing long 2s over 3s, that's where the issue would come I think. But yes, I also think there's an easy line of communication.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,477

Post#187 » by Wolveswin » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:29 pm

What if Philly called on Towns for Embiid?

Idea is they want shooting and more shooting. Build around Simmons.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#188 » by DaMplsKid » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Wolveswin wrote:What if Philly called on Towns for Embiid?

I would laugh and hang up. Embiid cant stay health and is very inconstant game to game.
NattaNerNutta
Freshman
And1: 48

Post#189 » by NattaNerNutta » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:42 pm

Absolutely not. Embiid's inability to stay healthy is a big red flag for me. Big men never age well when it comes to constant nagging injuries. Besides the whole thing in Minnesota is building around the best buds D-Lo and Kat, not break them up.

If any deal is to be made I think it would be all about getting Simmons. His playstyle fits perfectly with D-Lo and Kat, while also being the perfect Defensive plug for the team's issues on that end of the court.

Unlike Philly, Minnesota's make up is great for Simmons, especially if we resign Beasley. We will have three great shooters to space the floor, leaving the interior open for a slashing Simmons and/or Culver or Okogie (which ever is on the team after a potential trade.

I'm not saying a deal will go down, only that if one were to happen it would be a much easier to navigate scenario with Morey being so closely connected with Rosas.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#190 » by DaMplsKid » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:49 pm

Klomp wrote:All depends on how committed he is to the small-ball and 3-point launching. Personally, I don't think Simmons is a deterrent for Morey. It's not like Simmons is choosing long 2s over 3s, that's where the issue would come I think. But yes, I also think there's an easy line of communication.

Well with Embiid/Halford he can't go small ball without making some moves. I think Doc River's style of play is going to matter the most as to how the team is constructed. Dantoni was the small ball 3 point shooting I don't see Doc going this route. I think him going there doesn't hurt us but also might not help us. It will come down to how Doc feels he wants the roster.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:50 pm

NattaNerNutta wrote:

Absolutely not. Embiid's inability to stay healthy is a big red flag for me. Big men never age well when it comes to constant nagging injuries. Besides the whole thing in Minnesota is building around the best buds D-Lo and Kat, not break them up.

If any deal is to be made I think it would be all about getting Simmons. His playstyle fits perfectly with D-Lo and Kat, while also being the perfect Defensive plug for the team's issues on that end of the court.

Unlike Philly, Minnesota's make up is great for Simmons, especially if we resign Beasley. We will have three great shooters to space the floor, leaving the interior open for a slashing Simmons and/or Culver or Okogie (which ever is on the team after a potential trade.

I'm not saying a deal will go down, only that if one were to happen it would be a much easier to navigate scenario with Morey being so closely connected with Rosas.

Not after reading this.

As concerns arise with NBA players deciding the best way to go forward with a return to play, an important question about Joel Embiid’s contract has reportedly been answered.

The current agreed upon format features eight “seeding games” before the playoffs begin. The NBA is prorating performance bonuses and incentives using March 11 as the end date of the regular season, per ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. That means the eight additional seeding games in Orlando are not part of the formula.

How does this affect Embiid?

Well, the All-Star center signed a five-year, $148 million extension in 2017 that had financial protections for the Sixers in case Embiid suffered a career-ending injury. According to Wojnarowski, Embiid needed to play 1,650 minutes this season in order to guarantee the remainder of his deal. With 1,329 minutes played this season, Embiid has surpassed the prorated number.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/joel-embiid-contract-guaranteed-sixers-nba-season-restart

I'd trade for Simmons or Harris before Embiid
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#192 » by Rookie-Mistake » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:58 pm

Get it done. Anyone is traceable imo.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#193 » by Baseline81 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:39 pm

Still unlikely, but maybe Morey goes after Harden, assuming. Houston rebuilds.

Potential three-team trade:
- Philadelphia trades Simmons for Harden
- Minnesota receives Simmons for 2020 Minnesota first round pick (1), 2020 Brooklyn pick (17) and 2023 Minnesota first round pick (lottery protected)
- Houston trades Harden for 2020 Minnesota first round pick (1), 2020 Brooklyn pick (17) and 2023 Minnesota first round pick (lottery protected)

Someone else can build upon this to match salaries...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:43 pm

I get the feeling this is going to be a crazy offseason

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#195 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:47 pm

Obviously many more moving parts, but thoughts on this framework?

MIN Out: No. 1
MIN In: Simmons

PHI Out: Embiid, Simmons
PHI In: George, No. 1

LAC Out: George
LAC In: Embiid

moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#196 » by moonpie » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1321494174189977602%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fjjrhy3%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Dfalse
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#197 » by Baseline81 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Klomp wrote:Obviously many more moving parts, but thoughts on this framework?

MIN Out: No. 1
MIN In: Simmons

PHI Out: Embiid, Simmons
PHI In: George, No. 1

LAC Out: George
LAC In: Embiid

Certainly cannot see Morey trading both. Doc would question why he even decided to take the coaching job.
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#198 » by K4P » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:33 am

Wolves would have to give up literally everything outside of KAT and DLO to even have a shot at Simmons lol
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#199 » by Dewey » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:57 am

K4P wrote:Wolves would have to give up literally everything outside of KAT and DLO to even have a shot at Simmons lol

Huh?
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#200 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:49 am

Worm Guts wrote:

But one that can't shoot 3s at all? This is the one hiccup that has me thinking neither team sees a fit with him. At least outside of a Towns/Simmons hanging out after the game fit.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves