ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Kristaps Porzingis -- lateral meniscus tear of his right knee

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,306

Re: OT: Kristaps Porzingis -- lateral meniscus tear of his right knee 

Post#262 » by DrCoach » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:32 pm

Really good player and would have been awesome next to Mitch.

That said, i really didnt like his attitude
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#263 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:24 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:I’d still rather have not traded him even knowing he got injured again.

I still think the deal was fair at the time. So did many NBA folks who forget they were pro this trade at the time.

I still think you shouldn’t trade foundation pieces when rebuilding.

Obviously in the minority.

My biggest issue with KP was the cognitive dissonance between his image/self-image and his actual ability. HIs skills were obvious, but his limitations were just as glaring, notably the low scoring efficiency, the lack of playmaking skills and glimpses of his inability to defend on the perimeter. The money he was going to get and the way he viewed his position within the team and the organization told the story of a franchise player, but he was never going to live up to those expectations.

He's still going to be a winning player if he can remain healthy, and that's more than you can say about almost all of our players, but he will be overpaid, he will be injury-prone and he will certainly not carry Dallas to success. If you can live with that, then he can be a major piece on a winning team. In a way, with Luka there, he's right where he needs to be.

I started looking at him sideways when he didn't sit with the rest of the team at the boxing match because he and his brother had VIP tickets. It wasn't a good look.

I can’t speak to what he thinks of himself or where he feels he is in the NBA hierarchy. I just think you keep definitive pieces when you’re lucky enough to get them. Same reason I’m arguing pro Mitch in the other thread.

I agree but sounds like he wanted to go. In some ways I don't blame him. Some ways. Your team is trash, he WAS the best prospect we had in a long time, definitely worthy of the hype at the time even after his first injury. His favorite player was Melo and while there you watch the PBO trash the hell out of him and then basically call you soft and attempt to trade you. Everybody wants you around the league and again, the Knicks are generational trash. Why NOT GTFOH?

But I also felt like the Mills/ Perry regime bent over backwards to rebuild the relationship after Phil left and that there was so much opportunity for KP. I honestly don't think KP wanted to be the primary option. I think he knew what was coming for him as the face of the Knicks and don't lie. You know what that is but just daydreaming

Frank
RJ
Bridges
KP
Robinson........would've been a nice young starting core. Wouldve probably been still in this draft from 13-20 and had a chance to add a decent player.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#264 » by dakomish23 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:15 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:My biggest issue with KP was the cognitive dissonance between his image/self-image and his actual ability. HIs skills were obvious, but his limitations were just as glaring, notably the low scoring efficiency, the lack of playmaking skills and glimpses of his inability to defend on the perimeter. The money he was going to get and the way he viewed his position within the team and the organization told the story of a franchise player, but he was never going to live up to those expectations.

He's still going to be a winning player if he can remain healthy, and that's more than you can say about almost all of our players, but he will be overpaid, he will be injury-prone and he will certainly not carry Dallas to success. If you can live with that, then he can be a major piece on a winning team. In a way, with Luka there, he's right where he needs to be.

I started looking at him sideways when he didn't sit with the rest of the team at the boxing match because he and his brother had VIP tickets. It wasn't a good look.

I can’t speak to what he thinks of himself or where he feels he is in the NBA hierarchy. I just think you keep definitive pieces when you’re lucky enough to get them. Same reason I’m arguing pro Mitch in the other thread.

I agree but sounds like he wanted to go. In some ways I don't blame him. Some ways. Your team is trash, he WAS the best prospect we had in a long time, definitely worthy of the hype at the time even after his first injury. His favorite player was Melo and while there you watch the PBO trash the hell out of him and then basically call you soft and attempt to trade you. Everybody wants you around the league and again, the Knicks are generational trash. Why NOT GTFOH?

But I also felt like the Mills/ Perry regime bent over backwards to rebuild the relationship after Phil left and that there was so much opportunity for KP. I honestly don't think KP wanted to be the primary option. I think he knew what was coming for him as the face of the Knicks and don't lie. You know what that is but just daydreaming

Frank
RJ
Bridges
KP
Robinson........would've been a nice young starting core. Wouldve probably been still in this draft from 13-20 and had a chance to add a decent player.

The Bridges KP Mitch front court would have been so much fun to watch grow together. Welp
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,058

Post#265 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:37 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Frank
RJ
Bridges
KP

The Bridges KP Mitch front court would have been so much fun to watch grow together. Welp

Disagree about the Mitch-KP pairing.

What makes KP special is that you can play 5-out with him. That's what sets him apart.

Pair him with Mitch and you're adding a non-shooter to the frontcourt and KP just becomes another floor spacing 4.

I don't see anything enticing about that, not to mention one of two would have to defend on the perimeter 24/7.

Mikal would've been nice though.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,856

Post#266 » by KnicksGod » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:05 am

I don't really see what's so very fun about KP. Wondering whether he'll even ever play? Or learn to do more than shoot 3's on a consistent basis? Is it fun to pretend he's a defensive force when he's got holes on that end?

I think the fun is sort of drained out of KP, sorry. We have one more year to watch a fun project -- Frank.

I admit KP is not a project. He's a bona fide good scorer. But if he's not healthy, he's not much. And if he doesn't grow quite a bit, he's not a reliable second scorer, which is different from a bona fide good scorer ... I think KP can be a good 3rd.

He's not a spring chicken and he's getting hurt often.

I just don't see the Max player fun here. To me it's still that he is super tall and ... exotic. We all had visions of him being a really special player who could maybe scratch Anthony Davis type talent. I don't see that at all, even without injuries. He showed some real progress inside this season, but not to any overwhelming degree.

He's really never going to be a high % shooter and that's a problem.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#267 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:06 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Frank
RJ
Bridges
KP

What makes KP special is that you can play 5-out with him. That's what sets him apart.

Pair him with Mitch and you're adding a non-shooter to the frontcourt and KP just becomes another floor spacing 4.

I don't see anything enticing about that, not to mention one of two would have to defend on the perimeter 24/7.

Damn, its to the point where all 5 need to shoot 3s. TF am I watching anymore? I thought you were gonna complain that our backcourt can't shoot, never expected our 5 to need a 3 or bust. Have Much play the 4 on defense and 5 on offense solves the other problem. He can guard 4s better of the 2. And most teams need penetration to initiate the 3. This lineup, you ain't penetrating nothing. What's crazy is I just now almost forgot about Bridges. Between he and Frank and you're smothered, only to be met at the rim. I actually think it covers ground just fine.

Remember, Enes couldn't cover the paint so KP often was meeting penetration at the rim and then losing his own man in the perimeter. Technically that's bad defense and low iq so that's on KP. But there were just so many outside factors, one problem beggeting another problem. I can see the problem with my fantasy lineup but its not defense or offense from the way you saw it. It's our perimeter.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,058

Post#268 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:28 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Damn, its to the point where all 5 need to shoot 3s. TF am I watching anymore? I thought you were gonna complain that our backcourt can't shoot, never expected our 5 to need a 3 or bust. Have Much play the 4 on defense and 5 on offense solves the other problem. He can guard 4s better of the 2. And most teams need penetration to initiate the 3. This lineup, you ain't penetrating nothing. What's crazy is I just now almost forgot about Bridges. Between he and Frank and you're smothered, only to be met at the rim. I actually think it covers ground just fine.

Remember, Enes couldn't cover the paint so KP often was meeting penetration at the rim and then losing his own man in the perimeter. Technically that's bad defense and low iq so that's on KP. But there were just so many outside factors, one problem beggeting another problem. I can see the problem with my fantasy lineup but its not defense or offense from the way you saw it. It's our perimeter.

Teams nowadays hunt mismatches mercilessly. They would put KP - and not Mitch - in the pick-and-roll to force him to switch onto perimeter guys. Good offenses can dictate match-ups and pull rim protectors away from the rim without any issue, so long as they have ball-handlers who can pull up from distance. It's not really about playing positions on defense anymore, like "KP would guard the 4 and Mitch would guard the 5". A smart offense can hunt a defender and force him to guard anybody on the floor.

I only said what makes KP special is that you can play 5-out while still having rim protection on the floor. If you have Mitch clogging the lane, then KP's only space would be beyond the 3-point arc (since he's so inefficient from midrange). So what makes him special then? You could replace him with a wing then, and gain speed, ballhandling, passing and switchability.

I agree about attacking the rim obviously. Hopefully RJ has worked on his first step and we can add a guy this offseason who can put pressure on opposing defenses and create more open shots.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,304

Post#269 » by NoStatsGuy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:13 pm

Context wrote:
Kristaps Porzingis has been ruled out for the remainder of the first round with a lateral meniscus tear of his right knee.

Porzingis suffered the injury in Game 1 of the Dallas Mavericks' first round series against the Los Angeles Clippers.

Porzingis played in Games 2 and 3 with the injury.

Treatment options for Porzingis are currently being explored.

Is it safe to say we won the trade now?

I think so...

both teams played hard
im bout dat action boss
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,560

Post#270 » by Fat Kat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:48 am

He’s gonna settle down into a nice Troy Murphy-ese career. If he can stay on the floor
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#271 » by blanko » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:51 am

Kp would have fit so well with rj, imagine a kp rj lick and roll/pop?

Assuming he stays healthy that is... and thats big if.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,267

Post#272 » by rajajackal » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:39 am

blanko wrote:Kp would have fit so well with rj, imagine a kp rj lick and roll/pop?

it's somewhat frustrating to think about, except when i realize that the KP trade ensured RJ. THJ & co might've won us a few more late season games and cost us #3. the chances we'd have both those guys on our team organically are slim
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,806

Post#273 » by SelbyCobra » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Fat Kat wrote:He’s gonna settle down into a nice Troy Murphy-ese career. If he can stay on the floor

JERSEY STAND UP! :lol:
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Post#274 » by GONYK » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:14 pm

rajajackal wrote:
blanko wrote:Kp would have fit so well with rj, imagine a kp rj lick and roll/pop?

it's somewhat frustrating to think about, except when i realize that the KP trade ensured RJ. THJ & co might've won us a few more late season games and cost us #3. the chances we'd have both those guys on our team organically are slim

We could have gotten #1 or #2 pick with those extra wins
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#275 » by Oscirus » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:42 pm

GONYK wrote:
rajajackal wrote:

We could have gotten #1 or #2 pick with those extra wins

While I agree that Morant kp wouldve been a blast, the option where we have 2 injury bombs in our frontcourt wouldve been problematic. We did well considering the odds and circumstances
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#276 » by NY 567 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:11 pm

KPs career may very well be derailed by injuries, but to deny his talent at this point is laughable. What he was doing a month before the lockdown and during the bubble was elite on both sides of the floor. A lot of you sound like broken hearted school girls at this point. Let it go.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,847

Post#277 » by robillionaire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:38 pm

NY 567 wrote:KPs career may very well be derailed by injuries, but to deny his talent at this point is laughable. What he was doing a month before the lockdown and during the bubble was elite on both sides of the floor. A lot of you sound like broken hearted school girls at this point. Let it go.

What good is talent if your career is derailed by injuries, and should we max out such a player? We’ve been taunted relentlessly for this move. No we will not let it go
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,603

Post#278 » by stuporman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:57 pm

:o
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,603

Post#279 » by stuporman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:00 pm

NY 567 wrote:KPs career may very well be derailed by injuries, but to deny his talent at this point is laughable. What he was doing a month before the lockdown and during the bubble was elite on both sides of the floor. A lot of you sound like broken hearted school girls at this point. Let it go.

....sounds like you are spending alot of time on KP's lick and roll pop :lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#280 » by knickstape21 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:54 am

Won’t deny he played pretty well.

But also have to say it was the perfect storm for him to play at that well because of the time off he was able to have during the NBA break. Everyone knows KP starts seasons off hot and fades off around that 30 game mark. Same thing happened for the bubble.

Return to New York Knicks