Without accolades, does AD have arguments over Olajuwon?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,131

Post#1 » by CodeBreaker » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:34 am

Both are very skilled big men. AD is more athletic and versatile. An elite defensive player as well like Hakeem.
As a big man, is AD on the level of Olajuwon without looking at the accolades?
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,719

Re: Without accolades, does AD have arguments over Olajuwon? 

Post#2 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:35 am

No.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#3 » by Floody100 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:37 am

Well you’re comparing AD to a top 10 player off all time so no.
I think a lot of people don’t really understand how good Hakeem really was.
Smash3
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#4 » by Smash3 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:45 am

Is AD on a trajectory to become a top 10 player ever? Do you believe AD can single-handedly lead a team to multiple titles?
G: James Harden | Kris Dunn
G: Zach LaVine | Reggie Jackson
F: Josh Richardson | Nassir Little
F: Paul George | Otto Porter
C: Jakob Poeltl | Bismack Biyombo
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#5 » by Jkam31 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:45 am

What’s happened to realgm
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#6 » by GreenBloodedC » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:55 am

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Image
J-Wolves
Bench Warmer
And1: 887

Post#7 » by J-Wolves » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:59 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lay of the drugs buddy, please :o :o :o
July 4 2016, Kevin Durant declared his dependence day, dependent on the guys he couldn't beat!
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,428

Post#8 » by scrabbarista » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:03 am

I suspect I watched Hakeem from '91-'97 as much as nearly anyone on the boards. Anthony Davis is the most similar player to Olajuwon that I have seen since Olajuwon in terms of skill and ability on both ends. It's obviously difficult to compare across eras, but the one thing that can be compared across eras is attitude and mindset. Olajuwon had a far higher motor - even past 30, even during Ramadan. Olajuwon thirsted for blocks and steals. He was insatiable on both ends. He demanded the ball down the stretch of games. Not asking him to carry you in a close game simply wasn't an option. It was never considered, because Olajuwon refused to allow that. Olajuwon was as competitive as a player can be. AD has no argument over Olajuwon, in my opinion. Olajuwon (past 30) was a better passer than AD, among the other things listed here. He also, obviously, had far more moves and counter moves with the ball in his hands.

Also, one of the things people forget when they compare young bigs to Olajuwon is that he made the NBA Finals in his second season, beating Magic Johnson, James Worthy, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in the WCF. That's how impactful he was.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,480

Post#9 » by 70sFan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:23 am

CodeBreaker wrote: AD is more athletic

What? Hakeem is one of the best athletes of all-time. I know most people saw him after 1994 when he wasn't nearly as fast or as physical, but 1980s Olajuwon has an argument for the best athlete in NBA history. He's faster, quicker, stronger and jumped higher and quicker than Davis.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,250

Post#10 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:23 am

Guy won a championship with a supporting cast of Thorpe, Jet and Horry. Putting Davis in the same sentence as him is frankly insulting considering AD’s playoff resume before this year
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#11 » by scrabbarista » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:23 am

AD's physical tools and skillset with Antetokounmpo's motor and mindset would be a much closer comparison to Olajuwon. Even then, you're talking about a player in Olajuwon who had one of the ten best careers and is generally considered one of the ten best peaks. So, it feels like a big reach at this point. If you wanted to compare these three "at age 25" or something, then you might get somewhere. You'd still have to account for Hakeem's all-time motor, energy, and competitiveness against AD, and his higher skill-level versus Giannis, though.
rand
Starter
And1: 3,115

Post#12 » by rand » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:24 am

This comparison will get blasted but some of that feels like the benefit of hindsight. Comparing AD to Hakeem at 26, AD fares pretty well statistically, it's just we know Hakeem remained a great, great player for almost another decade and went on 5 years later to lead two title teams.

Just on sheer talent, AD has Top-10 all-time potential. He could easily go on to win a couple more titles in his career with FMVPs and maybe edge Hakeem out on the GOAT list. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's completely plausible. Rather than talent, the question will be robustness and drive. We can only find out whether he has the drive to continue to push himself into his 30s like Hakeem did, but the robustness seems like a no. I could see him being a player with a short prime.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#13 » by scrabbarista » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:28 am

70sFan wrote:

What? Hakeem is one of the best athletes of all-time. I know most people saw him after 1994 when he wasn't nearly as fast or as physical, but 1980s Olajuwon has an argument for the best athlete in NBA history. He's faster, quicker, stronger and jumped higher and quicker than Davis.

Olajuwon was easily more athletic. Faster, quicker, stronger, and jumped higher and quicker - all true. In addition, according to google, his wingspan was only one inch shorter than AD's (7'5'' vs. 7'6''). Olajuwon had relatively thin shoulders, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if his arms were the same length or longer than AD's. His length was unreal.
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,930

Post#14 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:29 am

If you take away all the accolades, JR Smith has an argument over MJ. So yeah, AD definitely has an argument over Olajuwon too.
J-Wolves
Bench Warmer
And1: 887

Post#15 » by J-Wolves » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:32 am

scrabbarista wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Olajuwon was easily more athletic. Faster, quicker, stronger, and jumped higher and quicker - all true. In addition, according to google, his wingspan was only one inch shorter than AD's (7'5'' vs. 7'6''). Olajuwon had relatively thin shoulders, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if his arms were the same length or longer than AD's. His length was unreal.

Side note height wise A.Davis is now listed at 6.9 3/4.
July 4 2016, Kevin Durant declared his dependence day, dependent on the guys he couldn't beat!
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#16 » by scrabbarista » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:32 am

rand wrote:This comparison will get blasted but some of that feels like the benefit of hindsight. Comparing AD to Hakeem at 26, AD fairs pretty well statistically, it's just we know Hakeem remained a great, great player for almost another decade and went on 5 years later to lead two title teams.

Just on sheer talent, AD has Top-10 all-time potential. He could easily go on to win a couple more titles in his career with FMVPs and maybe edge Hakeem out on the GOAT list. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's completely plausible. Rather than talent, the question will be robustness and drive. We can only find out whether he has the drive to continue to push himself into his 30s like Hakeem did, but the robustness seems like a no. I could easily see him being a player with a short prime.

This is mostly fair. That's why I highlighted their character and mindset in my first post: it just doesn't seem realistic to assume Davis can reach the heights Olajuwon reached, given the perceived gap in their "drive and robustness," as you put it.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#17 » by scrabbarista » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 am

J-Wolves wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
70sFan wrote:

If that's accurate, then he's the same height as Olajuwon. AD looks taller to me, but I can accept that they might be the same height.
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#18 » by Buckets22 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 am

America, this is why you shouldnt take drugs every day.
:king: King James Peoples' MVP 2020 :king:
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#19 » by Lalouie » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 am

so this is all because of one year with lebron, is it.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,131

Post#20 » by CodeBreaker » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:08 am

scrabbarista wrote:
J-Wolves wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

If that's accurate, then he's the same height as Olajuwon. AD looks taller to me, but I can accept that they might be the same height.

I thought Hakeem is about 1" taller than AD

Return to The General Board