ImageImageImage

Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#881 » by DBC10 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:02 am

rmfc wrote:I think the only dilemma for the Pistons is whom to choose if Hayes (and, obviously, Edwards) is already gone by #7. Should the pick be Haliburton or Vassell?

I think I'd go with Vassell? Cheap 3 and D guys are immensely valuable in this day and age

And he has all of the tools to be a good one at it. I'd roll the dice on a point guard in next year's draft to be honest, even though I do like Halliburton and Hayes.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#882 » by Manocad » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:12 am

NYPiston wrote:
Manocad wrote:
TPA wrote:I said that #7 and Kennard was a more realistic trade for GS to accept for their #2 pick, vs the #7 and Snell proposition. I never said it was a trade that Detroit SHOULD make (Though I certainly would if I were Weaver).

I only used Detroit as the example. Substitute Kennard for any other similar player on any other team with the #7 pick. A player who could still be a very serviceable bench scorer and maybe even a starter is too much to give up to move from 7 to 2 in THIS draft. Like I said, if the draft had a Lebron and a Jordan projected at 1 and 2 and 3-10 were all guys a tier down that could go in any order depending on team needs, sure. But in this draft, no. It's the equivalent of trading a known pretty good player and a pick that may or may not turn into something for a pick that may or may not turn into something. I think 7 plus an expiring for 2 is actually pretty equivalent IMO.

If there was a Lebron/Jordan level prospect at the top of this draft, that pick would be untouchable. Kennard+7th would be laughed off by that GM.

In any event, I wouldn't trade Kennard+7th for #2 either. This is a draft where the best player could easily come from outside the top 5 and I think Kennard is becoming a bit underrated here. My biggest worry with him is injuries but before he got injured, he was really starting to come into his own as more than just a spot up shooter. He has underrated playmaking skills and ability to create his own shot. I'd be wary of overpaying him due to his injury history but he's not a player that I'd just give away either. He's still young enough to be a key player of this core going forward. Now if somebody wanted to offer a top 10 pick (like the Phoenix rumors last year) then I'd consider that but I wouldn't use him as an add on to move up 5 spots in this draft.

The point wasn’t that Kennard + #7 is worth a Lebron/Jordan. The point is that since there is no clear cut 1/2 in this draft, giving up a Kennard to move from 7 to 2 doesn’t make sense.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,094

Post#883 » by The Moose » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:21 am

DBC10 wrote:
rmfc wrote:I think the only dilemma for the Pistons is whom to choose if Hayes (and, obviously, Edwards) is already gone by #7. Should the pick be Haliburton or Vassell?

I think I'd go with Vassell? Cheap 3 and D guys are immensely valuable in this day and age

And he has all of the tools to be a good one at it. I'd roll the dice on a point guard in next year's draft to be honest, even though I do like Halliburton and Hayes.

I would take Vassell all day in that situation, I wouldnt mind if we take Vassell over Hayes, even if hes there
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#884 » by Pharaoh » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:07 am

The Moose wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

I would take Vassell all day in that situation, I wouldnt mind if we take Vassell over Hayes, even if hes there
If Okoro is there I'm taking him, otherwise Vassell is my pick.

In that case I'm calling Philly looking to give them Luke for all their picks.

For me the issue with Luke isn't his knees. It's his contract situation and me not wanting to pay him what he's actually worth and the beginning of what should realistically be a 3 year rebuild through the Draft.

I want additional picks in every Draft! I want cap flexibility the next few years. Yeah ok I'm stuck with Blake for a bit but I don't want to also be paying Luke $15-20 mil to pretend he's a 2nd option when in reality he's more a 3rd or 4th option on a good team.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#885 » by vic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:51 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
The Moose wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

If Okoro is there I'm taking him, otherwise Vassell is my pick.

In that case I'm calling Philly looking to give them Luke for all their picks.

For me the issue with Luke isn't his knees. It's his contract situation and me not wanting to pay him what he's actually worth and the beginning of what should realistically be a 3 year rebuild through the Draft.

I want additional picks in every Draft! I want cap flexibility the next few years. Yeah ok I'm stuck with Blake for a bit but I don't want to also be paying Luke $15-20 mil to pretend he's a 2nd option when in reality he's more a 3rd or 4th option on a good team.

Agree with this... but I say if you can keep Luke and pay him like a role player then keep him. He’s a shooting pg, or scorer off the bench if you have a bigger better pg. He’s just not a starting sg for a championship team.

I say keep your role players in their roles till you get the stars you need. As long as you don’t overpay you’re good.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Post#886 » by King Bugs » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:01 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Lots of Okoro mocked to Detroit lately. I think the Stanley Johnson experience is what scares me as well in the back of my mind like the article states.

Okoro does have a decent looking jumper though so maybe he gets better.

Which is why I have no interest in Okoro. Every year some defensive minded, strong, athletic, SF that's not good at anything that a wing needs to be good at (like... dribbling), goes in the lottery because front offices are searching for the next Kwahi Leonard. No thank you.

I don't think we need to "force" PG, this year's crop seems so weak and flawed. I know Hayes is being mocked to us a bunch, but I'm just not high on him. I will say Cole Anthony is starting to grow on me as a Jamal Murray scoring-type, but yeah I don't know, hopefully we take an outside the box approach towards the draft or we get lucky and someone drops.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#887 » by mattao313 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:29 pm

Imo Okoro isn't like Stanley he had a better offensive arsenal. Okoro is much more athletic tho I'd take Vassell over him.
Championships
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#888 » by MotownMadness » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:32 pm

I want someone who can create their own offense like Hayes or even Cole Anthony.

I dont see a guy like Vassell doing that but hes probably like a poor man's Culver from last year. Okoro I'm mixed on cause he can still create a little bit for himself and others but needs to work on his scoring versatility.

I just see Hayes as the pick with his french connection to Sekou and could make for a good franchise PG for a long time.

Then next year get a star like Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green hopefully.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#889 » by BJK1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Okoro possesses the explosiveness and above the rim athleticism that Stanley can only dream of. But the concerns about his shooting are very valid. And the sub 70% FT percentage doesn’t help his cause.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#890 » by jakebernat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:55 pm

vassell would be a much better pick than okoro. I’m not really sure if okoro is even a better defender, and that’s supposed to be his calling card.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#891 » by Pharaoh » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:41 am

jakebernat wrote:vassell would be a much better pick than okoro. I’m not really sure if okoro is even a better defender, and that’s supposed to be his calling card.
Okoro legit can defend 1 through 3, possibly 4s in today's game. Offensively yeah he needs work but we don't know what he's done the last few months.

Vassell? Dude is a quality shooter but needs to work on his frame & strength.

They're completely different players and why I wanted to somehow land both in this Draft.

The way it's going it looks like Vassell is far more likely at 7 than Okoro considering so many teams above us need a big wing to compliment the guys they already have.

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#892 » by Pharaoh » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 am

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#893 » by Pharaoh » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:59 am

No point posting Wiseman, Edwards & Ball.

Already posted Okoro and Vassell

Missed Deni

https://youtu.be/bmKrg1zWVys

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#894 » by Pharaoh » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:01 am

From all reports/mocks that's the top 10 and this is the kind of Draft where needs and fit likely determine who goes where.

Hard to speculate but I'll go through it at some point today

tradez401
Starter
And1: 613

Post#895 » by tradez401 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:11 am

jakebernat wrote:I really like avdija in this draft too. if he falls to us, I think we gotta pull the trigger. I see shades of Gordon Hayward in his game.

I’m really liking the luke at PG experiment too. He needs to have the ball as much as possible. He’s our best perimeter player. I would not at all be surprised to see him put up 20+ PPG next year.

Deni's height and passing ability has me interested also has a nice looking jumpshot and can finish at the rim.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#896 » by BJK1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:21 am

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#897 » by vic » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:12 pm

man.... his explanations for Atlanta, Cleveland, Chicago seem kind of accurate. Chicago's gm likes internationals. Cleveland has too many guards and needs a mature player. Atlanta needs a secondary playmaker not a primary.

Maybe Hayes really does fall to the Pistons.

I still hope they take Okoro and Vassell.

I just can't see Cleveland being satisfied with their small point guards.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#898 » by rmfc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:22 pm

If Minny goes with LaMelo with the #1 overall, the Pistons should do their best to go get that the #2 from GSW.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#899 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:21 pm

rmfc wrote:

If Minny goes with LaMelo with the #1 overall, the Pistons should do their best to go get that the #2 from GSW.

Why? And I mean that in the sense of "Lay out the plan as to why getting the #2 pick this year is a critical move on the path to a championship."
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#900 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:57 pm

rmfc wrote:

Yeah I would be trying, Edwards ceiling is pretty high if he can get there. Plus I don't think the price should be too outrageous with GS having plenty of options at 7 they would like while saving millions from a already very expensive roster.

Return to Detroit Pistons