Without accolades, does AD have arguments over Olajuwon?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,499

Re: Without accolades, does AD have arguments over Olajuwon? 

Post#61 » by GregOden » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:26 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
J-Wolves wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
Olajuwon was easily more athletic. Faster, quicker, stronger, and jumped higher and quicker - all true. In addition, according to google, his wingspan was only one inch shorter than AD's (7'5'' vs. 7'6''). Olajuwon had relatively thin shoulders, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if his arms were the same length or longer than AD's. His length was unreal.

Side note height wise A.Davis is now listed at 6.9 3/4.

If that's accurate, then he's the same height as Olajuwon. AD looks taller to me, but I can accept that they might be the same height.

AD looks taller for the same reason why people were confused about Kevin Durant and DeAndre Jordan's height (and people kept arguing the combine measurements were too long ago and they must have grown, until the NBA did barefoot measurements last year). All three of these guys are under 6'10 but have tall shoulders, which gives the visual effect of looking as tall as Marc Gasol on the floor even though the the top of Gasol's head is above everyone else's.

On the other hand since standing reach is an important metric, even though all three of those guys are in the 6'9 range they effectively play as if they were as tall a typical 7 footer.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#62 » by Kilroy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:38 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:
Kilroy wrote:This thread should only be for people who are actually old enough to have watched Dream play...

I'm a huge Hakeem guy, I watched his entire career.. I think AD's better right now... He's more skilled and more versatile.

Hakeem was one of the most skilled post players ever, but he wasn't shooting 3s... Hell, he barely shot from mid range... He wasn't guarding anyone more than 10' from the basket either... He was an incredible blocker, and rebounder... But not that much better than AD.

Hakeem's best season was arguably his 89-90 season when he was 27... Compare that to AD's season this year at 26...

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Hakeem+Olajuwon&player_id1_select=Hakeem+Olajuwon&player_id1=olajuha01&idx=bbr__players&p1yrfrom=1990&player_id2_hint=Anthony+Davis&player_id2_select=Anthony+Davis&player_id2=davisan02&idx=bbr__players&p2yrfrom=2020#stats-per_game::none

Hakeems got him in rebounds and blocks for sure, but AD has Hakeem in pretty much every offensive category...

I think AD's clearly got a shot to be better than Hakeem all time.

Oh boy. That is not true at all.

I also can't agree with his best season. It's either 93 or 94.

Yes. It's 93 or 94. There are all kinds of wrong in that post. Barely shot from midrange? Here are some highlights from just '94: nearly half of his shots are from midrange. In particular, check out the Jazz series (starts at 17:55); it's almost all midrange. Against Phoenix, he didn't need to shoot much midrange, because no one on their team could keep him away from the hoop.

I mean, I'm not sure picking a series in a career like Hakeem really adds much to the discussion, but since I'm basing my views of AD based on emerging skill sets in his developing prime, I'll allow it... 8-)

93-94 he was 27 and 12 with around 4 blocks a game
89-90 he was 24 and 14 with 5 blocks a game for the season... He never approached that many rebounds or blocks again...

Ok, so 'Barely shot midrange' was a poorly formed thought but the bolded part is my point... He didn't need to shoot from range much because he was so good getting to the rim...
By today's standards he didn't shoot that many midrange shots... He shot around 5 a game from the numbers I've found, although 'Midrange' was quite a bit different back then and they didn't track it like they're starting to now... Most of Hakeems midrange shots were pretty close to the basket.
But again is primary skill was facing up bigs and torching them off the dribble to the hoop. AD's good at that, but Hakeem was the best ever as a big... Hakeem was stronger and tougher, too...

But AD just led the league in Midrange percentage at 61% in the playoffs among all players who attempted at least 20...
While also defending the best player on the other team regardless of position.

Hakeem was great at rim protection and an elite defender, but not as versatile as AD... His rep as an all NBA defender came mostly from his blocks... Which like I said, peaked in 89-90... So I'm still taking AD and I figure after his complete prime, he has a shot at a better career than Hakeem.

Like I also said, I'm a Hakeem fan and don't believe that takes anything away from Hakeem.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
longtallbrad
Junior
And1: 257

Post#63 » by longtallbrad » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:57 pm

Davis impressed the heck out of me this season and especially during the playoffs. He's a pretty special player, but so far I don't project him turning out as special as Olajuwon. I watched Hakeem through his college career and all through his pro career, and had an opportunity to watch him in person during the 1986 playoffs.

I agree with those saying Olajuwon was more athletic, at least in terms of lateral quickness and full court speed. The game was different than, and I suspect if he played today he's shoot more efficiently and rack up fewer fouls. His soccer upbringing gave him absolutely incredible footwork, and in his era he had a post-up repertoire that was miles beyond that of anyone with the arguable exception of McHale. And he was a beastly competitor. He HATED losing.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#64 » by Clay Davis » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Kilroy wrote:This thread should only be for people who are actually old enough to have watched Dream play...

I'm a huge Hakeem guy, I watched his entire career.. I think AD's better right now... He's more skilled and more versatile.

Hakeem was one of the most skilled post players ever, but he wasn't shooting 3s... Hell, he barely shot from mid range... He wasn't guarding anyone more than 10' from the basket either... He was an incredible blocker, and rebounder... But not that much better than AD.

Hakeem's best season was arguably his 89-90 season when he was 27... Compare that to AD's season this year at 26...

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Hakeem+Olajuwon&player_id1_select=Hakeem+Olajuwon&player_id1=olajuha01&idx=bbr__players&p1yrfrom=1990&player_id2_hint=Anthony+Davis&player_id2_select=Anthony+Davis&player_id2=davisan02&idx=bbr__players&p2yrfrom=2020#stats-per_game::none

Hakeems got him in rebounds and blocks for sure, but AD has Hakeem in pretty much every offensive category...

Ya but AD is mostly a garbage man. If Hakeem was a garbage man, his efficiency would look really good too. Alas, his era demanded a bit more of him than that.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,627

Post#65 » by KingFox » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:08 pm

The way this board goes from one extreme to another :lol: @ him being anywhere near Hakeem
aliasxn
Junior
And1: 518

Post#66 » by aliasxn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:25 pm

I can't think of anything.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,014

Post#67 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:32 pm

One of the worst takes I've seen here in a while...
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#68 » by OdomFan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Woodsanity wrote:Olajuwon might be the only got to ever win a ring without another all star. Olajuwon is miles better than AD.

Tim Duncan 2003.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#69 » by NoZoLakers » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:10 pm

Ad has no post game, he's not even on Kobe lvl in the post, hes just a very good jump shooter to me
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#70 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:12 pm

CodeBreaker wrote:Both are very skilled big men. AD is more athletic and versatile. An elite defensive player as well like Hakeem.
As a big man, is AD on the level of Olajuwon without looking at the accolades?

FYI AD is so far removed from the raw athleticism of Dream that it isn't even funny.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#71 » by othawhitemeat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:26 pm

I hope AD is better right now, he is like 30 years younger. In general, as a forum mod, you should be blocked from posting in the General Board - you are way too bias to make an objective argument.

I am going to ask Laker Fans a question in a separate poll to get the point across.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,012

Post#72 » by vxmike » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:37 pm

There’s no a single thing AD can do better than Hakeem except perhaps a better 3pt shot.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,069

Post#73 » by MrBigShot » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:43 pm

AD as best player on the team vs Hakeem as best player on the team isn't really much of a contest as far as how far a team can go.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#74 » by IgorK » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:50 pm

scrabbarista wrote:I suspect I watched Hakeem from '91-'97 as much as nearly anyone on the boards. Anthony Davis is the most similar player to Olajuwon that I have seen since Olajuwon in terms of skill and ability on both ends. It's obviously difficult to compare across eras, but the one thing that can be compared across eras is attitude and mindset. Olajuwon had a far higher motor - even past 30, even during Ramadan. Olajuwon thirsted for blocks and steals. He was insatiable on both ends. He demanded the ball down the stretch of games. Not asking him to carry you in a close game simply wasn't an option. It was never considered, because Olajuwon refused to allow that. Olajuwon was as competitive as a player can be. AD has no argument over Olajuwon, in my opinion. Olajuwon (past 30) was a better passer than AD, among the other things listed here. He also, obviously, had far more moves and counter moves with the ball in his hands.

Also, one of the things people forget when they compare young bigs to Olajuwon is that he made the NBA Finals in his second season, beating Magic Johnson, James Worthy, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in the WCF. That's how impactful he was.

Fake news. You're making up history now :lol:
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,181

Post#75 » by CodeBreaker » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:06 pm

vxmike wrote:There’s no a single thing AD can do better than Hakeem except perhaps a better 3pt shot.

His face up game and arguably midrange shot
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#76 » by Roddy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#77 » by Kilroy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:27 pm

CodeBreaker wrote:
vxmike wrote:There’s no a single thing AD can do better than Hakeem except perhaps a better 3pt shot.

His face up game and arguably midrange shot

He can also guard the best player 1-5 on the other team... Hakeem couldn't do that. Especially not in the no-touch modern era.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#78 » by flow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:32 pm

I'm not sure you really did watch Hakeem play.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#79 » by flow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:37 pm

IgorK wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:I suspect I watched Hakeem from '91-'97 as much as nearly anyone on the boards. Anthony Davis is the most similar player to Olajuwon that I have seen since Olajuwon in terms of skill and ability on both ends. It's obviously difficult to compare across eras, but the one thing that can be compared across eras is attitude and mindset. Olajuwon had a far higher motor - even past 30, even during Ramadan. Olajuwon thirsted for blocks and steals. He was insatiable on both ends. He demanded the ball down the stretch of games. Not asking him to carry you in a close game simply wasn't an option. It was never considered, because Olajuwon refused to allow that. Olajuwon was as competitive as a player can be. AD has no argument over Olajuwon, in my opinion. Olajuwon (past 30) was a better passer than AD, among the other things listed here. He also, obviously, had far more moves and counter moves with the ball in his hands.

Also, one of the things people forget when they compare young bigs to Olajuwon is that he made the NBA Finals in his second season, beating Magic Johnson, James Worthy, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in the WCF. That's how impactful he was.

Fake news. You're making up history now :lol:

Huh? The '86 Finals was his 2nd season. The Rockets beat the Lakers to get there. Do you not know that?

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,178

Post#80 » by Mickey8 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:38 pm

How is AD more athletic and versatile than Olajuwon , explain that to me, prime Olajuwon would abuse AD on both ends.

Return to The General Board