granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 465

Re: OT - Things to do in Portland/OR? 

Post#41 » by granger05 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:27 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
granger05 wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Gotta get there very early for the game day posters. I was an hour early to the GSW game and still missed out.

I figured. Do you know how early the doors open?

I don't personally. This is what google says, maybe someone else can help confirm. Best of luck!

https://rosequarter.com/plan-your-visit/guest-services wrote:Arena doors for Trail Blazers games played Monday through Saturday open at 5:30pm. Arena doors open at 4:30pm for Trail Blazers games played on Sunday.

It's a Monday night game against the Pacers so I feel like my odds are pretty good, but I was planning to call ahead and then get there as soon as we could. It's kind of an important part of the trip. I think this is a pretty cool program they have going.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#42 » by cdubbz » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Anyone down to catch playoff games this season?!
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#43 » by cdubbz » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:04 am

anyone going to the Nike Hoop summit tomorrow?
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#44 » by LBC SoCal » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:39 am

Greetings all, I come in peace, I hope you are all well in safe. I’m looking to stay in Portland for a week, I understand we are in the middle of what is now 3 months straight of protests with no end in sight. Still tho, would love to visit the city, show my support, eat the food and drink the beer.

Just wondering, are all the good restaurants open at this time or have some closed down because of the pandemic/protests? Any feedback from a local currently living there is appreciated.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#45 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:12 pm

I've not been out to a restaurant yet so I don't know what's open and what's not, but I know a lot of places are doing take-out if nothing else. The bars close at 10pm so last call is typically 9:30pm if you're lookin for beer. I would think the restaurants/bars would have something on their websites regarding their schedule, whether they're open or only doing take-out, etc. That's not much help so maybe some others know more about the restaurant/bar scene around town.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:13 pm

I've been out 3 times now for outdoor happy hour. Twice we went to Siam Lotus in Beaverton and last week we went to Jakes Crawfish on SW 12th, outside the protest area. Both have outdoor seating so it was nice.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
LBC SoCal
Junior

Post#47 » by LBC SoCal » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:15 am

Thanks for your feedback DaVoiceMaster.

I’m heading out this Friday.

This weekend I’m only in the city for a few days so I was going to check out Cartlandia and probably do a hike or two assuming it’s cool to do so. But a buddy of mine from Oregon recommended Newport, so I’m going to drive out and stay there for 4 days and enjoy the coast plus eat dungenous crab, I guess Newport is great for that? Then I head back to Portland for a more proper visit, 5 days to check out downtown, and all the food places. I’m in downtown but 4 blocks or so south of the protests, so I was told it’s seen minimal activity.

Your city has a lot to offer regarding food and beer, I’m looking forward!
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:52 pm

LBC SoCal wrote:Thanks for your feedback DaVoiceMaster.

This weekend I’m only in the city for a few days so I was going to check out Cartlandia and probably do a hike or two assuming it’s cool to do so. But a buddy of mine from Oregon recommended Newport, so I’m going to drive out and stay there for 4 days and enjoy the coast plus eat dungenous crab, I guess Newport is great for that? Then I head back to Portland for a more proper visit, 5 days to check out downtown, and all the food places. I’m in downtown but 4 blocks or so south of the protests, so I was told it’s seen minimal activity.

Hopefully you're out of the protest zone. You should be fine if you're south of SW Clay Street and west of SW 10th Avenue. Dunno if you're into beer, but Yardhouse on the corner of SW 5th Avenue & SW Taylor Street has something like 128 beers on tap. Pretty good happy hour with food and drinks. Another place we like is at NW 21st Avenue & NW Glisan Street and is called Bartini. If you like all types of martini's, that's the place to go. It's small but their happy hour is great, as well. They have a vareity of fondue and their burger is great. Matador on corner of NW 23rd Avenue & NW Quimby Street has fantastic nachos on their happy hour menu. Good taco's, as well. Lastly, Harborside Restaurant on S Montgomery St & S River Drive has a fantastic Fish Taco Tuesday. I've not been to any of these places since COVID-19 hit so I don't know how they are doing things or whether their menu's are different, etc. I have been to Jake's Crawfish, not to be confused with Jake's Steakhouse. I mentioned that in my previous post. Good stuff Maynard!!! I hope you have a great trip and will cross my fingers that the weather cooperates.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
LBC SoCal
Junior

Post#49 » by LBC SoCal » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:28 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
LBC SoCal wrote:Thanks for your feedback DaVoiceMaster.

Hopefully you're out of the protest zone. You should be fine if you're south of SW Clay Street and west of SW 10th Avenue. Dunno if you're into beer, but Yardhouse on the corner of SW 5th Avenue & SW Taylor Street has something like 128 beers on tap. Pretty good happy hour with food and drinks. Another place we like is at NW 21st Avenue & NW Glisan Street and is called Bartini. If you like all types of martini's, that's the place to go. It's small but their happy hour is great, as well. They have a vareity of fondue and their burger is great. Matador on corner of NW 23rd Avenue & NW Quimby Street has fantastic nachos on their happy hour menu. Good taco's, as well. Lastly, Harborside Restaurant on S Montgomery St & S River Drive has a fantastic Fish Taco Tuesday. I've not been to any of these places since COVID-19 hit so I don't know how they are doing things or whether their menu's are different, etc. I have been to Jake's Crawfish, not to be confused with Jake's Steakhouse. I mentioned that in my previous post. Good stuff Maynard!!! I hope you have a great trip and will cross my fingers that the weather cooperates.

Wonderful recommendations, I’ll give these places a shot. I’ve eaten nothing but kale salads leading up to this trip just so I can eat everything lol. And yes I look forward to the Oregon craft beers, love Deschutes Brewery and some of the others. In the northwest you all have some legit seafood, I imagine your sushi is great. Do you have any recommendations for the best sushi?
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:06 pm

I got nothing for sushi. Sorry man.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
LBC SoCal
Junior

Post#51 » by LBC SoCal » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:55 pm

All good brother, no worries. I’ve been reaching out to some of my friends from there, I have a few recommendations already. I’ll post them here next week if they’re great, from appearances they seem legit.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:10 pm

I hope the trip is going well.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#53 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:38 pm

LBC SoCal wrote:Do you have any recommendations for the best sushi?

If I had to pick one I would probably recommend Mio.
LBC SoCal
Junior

Post#54 » by LBC SoCal » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:15 am

Just a few notes thus far. Cartlandia was great. I truly hope these businesses do well despite Covid and most recently the wild fires. I don’t know what it was like pre-Covid but I got there on Saturday and it seemed busy which was great. In fact I couldn’t find parking. Not all food trucks/carts were open tho. Seemed like %90 was. If I moved here I know where to get my Mexican food, for anyone reading this and curious....there are legit options.....happy to see you have authentic stuff and soooo good (tacos de al pastor, choriza, lengua, buche and even Other dishes like menudo). Good mix of Asian and even Southern food as well, plus a beer tent.

Hikes were great, saw Multnomah Falls and Wahkeena. Despite Covid, these trails are still tourist attractions lol. Go early, I showed up 10:30am and yet again struggled for parking lol.

I’m in Newport at the moment, visited Tillamook as well. Tillamook Creamery was open and highly recommended for anyone thinking of going. Line out the door and took me over an hour to get in, since they limit capacity and enforce public safety. That ice cream tho....worth it. Countless flavors made in house with dairy sourced within the property. I somehow ate 3 scoops. Pelican Brewing is down here, it seems they have several locations. They have great food and a good selections of beers. Outdoor seating, and despite the rainy weather and a pandemic, there was a line out the door. Great to see these business doing well.

Regarding Newport, loving it. You guys have Rogue Ales out here as well and the pub house is open. Will be spending the next 4 days eating the dungenous crab and the other NW locally caught seafood as well before I head back to PDX. More to come.

And uh, random but....I filled up some gas and I guess in Oregon you have attendants that do it for you lol. I saw that a lot on the East Coast but it was a surprise to me to see it here. (I didn’t tip tho :cry: )

Thanks DeBlazerRiddem, I’ll give Mío a shot!
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Glad you are enjoying your trip. It's nice to hear an outsiders perspective about things we just take for granted some times. We actually had an option to pump our own gas for a little bit early on with COVID pandemic. It was kind of nice, but they did away with that change so we're back to having someone else do it for us. That's not bad either though, hahahaha. To bad Willy is not in Newport any longer. I took the kids there, probably 15-20 years ago to see him. That was pretty cool. Have a crab for me while you're there! You should actually go crabbing.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
LBC SoCal
Junior

Post#56 » by LBC SoCal » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:40 pm

Alright Portland Board, first off thank for your tips and also for allowing me to post here. You have a beautiful city and Oregon is wonderful.

For future visitors, be sure to support the local businesses, especially the food carts located throughout. 2020 has been rough for many so help the local economy, many options ranging from Mediterranean, Indian, Asian, Mexican. Most of them are take away however a few carts have a table on the side that allows a few customers at a time to eat there.

Regarding the pandemic: Every place I went seemed safe with social distancing. Most donut places like Voodoo donuts only allows one customer per cashier, others have to wait outside 6 ft apart. Blue Star donuts is set up with the cashier standing at the door so you don’t have to go inside (donuts are pricey but sooo worth it). The Max Light Rail was usually empty, and most wore masks and kept distance.

Food is awesome.....many others added recommendations on this thread, I’ll add a few of my own. Afuri Ramen, sooo good (they’re famous from Japan). They offer outdoor seating and the ramen is great. Get the soft shell crab bun as well. Pho 503, get their Bun Bo Hue or their pho. They have coconut shrimp but it sells out. Po Boyz food cart. Get their fried oysters.....an absolute must! 180 Xurros, they have chocolate filled Churros, need I say more!?!

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
LBC SoCal wrote:Do you have any recommendations for the best sushi?

If I had to pick one I would probably recommend Mio.

Sooo uh....I ended up eating at Mio twice, thanks for the recommendation. Their premium rolls are so good, more expensive but Damn worth it. Can’t go wrong with any of them. #selfspoilage

Transportation: The Max Light Rail and Streetcars are easy to use. $2.50 for a single trip, scan the ticket on the reader and it’s good for 2 hrs 30 min. For a day pass pay $5.00, still cheap. If you are flying into Portland, the redline goes from Downtown to the airport. No need to Uber, save that money (to spend on the food carts lol). Though as I type this, the airport stop has construction so in the interim there are shuttles at the airport that takes you to and from the next redline stop. The Tri Met website says construction will only be through January 2021.

Additional note to future travelers: do yourself a favor and rent a car....go and visit the Oregon coast, no excuses. Interpret my cap letters as me yelling this to you: Oregon Coast is GORGEOUS, BEAUTIFUL, GO AND SEE IT. Also, don’t bother googling pics, because any photos you see will not do it justice. Most lighthouses were open and I was luckily to catch the Sunset.

Thanks all. Stay safe, hopefully next year I get to see South Oregon.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:08 pm

LBC SoCal wrote:Thanks all. Stay safe, hopefully next year I get to see South Oregon.

Glad you had a great time. Feel free to visit the forum any time, whether you're traveling or not. We enjoy chatting with fans from other teams so long as they're not here to stir the pot. Be sure to spread the word to LeBron about your amazing trip up here. Maybe he'll decide to swing by for a year or two. Rumor has it he's wanted to play with Lillard!!! There's only one way to make that happen! :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#58 » by Wickzki » Sun Jun 6, 2021 3:39 pm

How much has Portland changed in the past 15 years?

Looking to go back when intl travel is back on the agenda.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#59 » by d-train » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:28 pm

Downtown is a warzone.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,400

Post#60 » by Blazinaway » Sat Feb 5, 2022 7:42 pm

what ever happened to d-train?