The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,000

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#981 » by eyeatoma » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:36 am

Stanford wrote:Bradley Beal ain't that good

He's pretty close, and will make Jo's life easier.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,481

Post#982 » by elchengue20 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:05 pm

76ciology wrote:

"Is everybody playing this game for a championship? Some guys are playing for the money, the houses, the cars, the fame" Butler on describing his Sixers teammates

Yep, that Jimmy quoute pretty much sums it up. And we all know he's talking about him. Also after this Playoffs Jimmy is a certified competitor and winner, it should be no doubt that's he's about winning and knows how to recognize who is like him. He really liked Biid.Ben just isn't a winning player. He just doesnt have that drive. He's a special talent for sure and could be a top 5 NBA player. But there is a reason he hasn't improved much since he entered the league.

I will repeat this again, we need to trade him while we can still get a superstar. His value is going to drop signiicatively in 2 o 3 years. Plus, we can't keep waisting Embiid's prime.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#983 » by agiaco » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:54 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

"Is everybody playing this game for a championship? Some guys are playing for the money, the houses, the cars, the fame" Butler on describing his Sixers teammates

Yep, that Jimmy quoute pretty much sums it up. And we all know he's talking about him. Also after this Playoffs Jimmy is a certified competitor and winner, it should be no doubt that's he's about winning and knows how to recognize who is like him. He really liked Biid.Ben just isn't a winning player. He just doesnt have that drive. He's a special talent for sure and could be a top 5 NBA player. But there is a reason he hasn't improved much since he entered the league.

I will repeat this again, we need to trade him while we can still a superstar. His value is going to drop signiicatively in 2 o 3 years. Plus, we can't keep waisting Embiid's prime.

I think the situation needs to be looked at from a broader scope. Jimmy Butler is one of a few guys with his demeanor. He literally lives and breathes basketball and training for the sport. He's a fantastic player with grit. In fact, a guy I had classes with in college and followed for over a decade. So I have sort of a personal investment in being more of a fan of him than some other players. Do I wish he was still on the Sixers? Absolutely. Sh*t happens.

But it's unfair to expect all other NBA stars or athletes to share his level of commitment and demeanor. Everyone finds success in different ways or learns from their mistakes. Jimmy is seven years older than Ben. At age 24, Butler was just starting to make a name for himself with the Bulls. Ben is fresh off a season in which he has made notable improvements with one of the only knocks being his lack of willingness to take jumpers. I'm not going to knock him for his lavish lifestyle or interest in gaming. At 24 I would have been tempted by all the same things. It will be interested to see where Ben is and how he's playing seven years from now.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,481

Post#984 » by elchengue20 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:27 pm

With all due respect, what you are saying makes no sense.

Jimmy always had this mentality.That's why he consistenly got better.And that's why everywhere he goes teams gets better.That's why he has surpassed his potential by a million times.He wasn't even suposed to make the NBA.

Ben is the opposite of Butler. He has all the talent in the world. But just doesn't have the will and the drive. He's a soft entitled mental midget and that isn't likely going to change significately at 24 years old. I think he could end up being a Dwight Howard like case, future MVP talent and talented player in his early 20's, perennial loser and cancer after he started to get his fame,money and attention. And Howard was even more impactfull than him in Orlando.

The issue is Ben has some major flaws to his game. If he wants to be a #1 or #2 player in a championship team, he need to get a respectable jump shot (FT's and some midpost or 3pt game) and a couple of go to moves scoring wise.Also he has to be way more agressive.To improve he has to be humble to realize this and also he has to work considerably. With his mindset and priorities it isn't going to happen. If we keep him at least i expect we start to hold him way more accountable and push him to improve.If he doesn't like it just trade him.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,808

Post#985 » by Stanford » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:52 pm

Ben Simmons plays like someone who cares about winning. Don't give a **** what corny ass Jimmy Butler has to say.
mike76
Junior
And1: 344

Post#986 » by mike76 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:01 am

Jimmy versus Ben narratives are very dumb because it's literally all in the heads of sixers fans and not actually based on reality

It's just fans projecting their feelings everywhere.

And it makes absolutely no sense because there is no report that it was ever a Ben versus Jimmy situation and yet it's been regurgitated so much that everyone takes it for granted now
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#987 » by ConstableChaos » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:43 am

76ciology wrote:

Didn't Butler charge $20 for a coffee in the bubble?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#988 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:11 am

ConstableChaos wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Didn't Butler charge $20 for a coffee in the bubble?

Just fair. The beans he used are farmed from the high altitude of Mount Everest.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#989 » by Stanford » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 am

He also dribbled a basketball in his hotel room so journalists would write stories about much of a baller he is. Jimmy Butler cares more about his image than even Ben.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#990 » by Eyeamok » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Stanford wrote:He also dribbled a basketball in his hotel room so journalists would write stories about much of a baller he is. Jimmy Butler cares more about his image than even Ben.

And according to the Ultra Beer commercials Jimmy's room attendant made towel basketball characters to keep him in the zone.
Never a down moment for the hardest working man in basketball.

The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#991 » by Stanford » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Would you believe that Jimmy Butler is ALREADY IN THE GYM?

Read on Twitter

Sheesh!
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#992 » by Sixersftw » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Stanford wrote:Would you believe that Jimmy Butler is ALREADY IN THE GYM?

Read on Twitter

Sheesh!

No one works harder to tell other people that he's the hardest working player in the league.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
downtownpie
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Post#993 » by downtownpie » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 am

So Butler thanks Embiid wants to win but Simmons doesn't?

Has he seen Embiid after an off season?
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,713

Post#994 » by phillynative » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:32 am

lol its like man we get it :roll:
agiaco
Analyst

Post#995 » by agiaco » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:53 pm

Sixersftw wrote:

Read on Twitter

Sheesh!

No one works harder to tell other people that he's the hardest working player in the league.

Yeah. Also, why would he not be in he gym? Even for normal people who routinely work out, it would be odd to just stop or take and extended break. I don't expect any NBA players to just put a hold on workouts.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#996 » by Eyeamok » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Sixersftw wrote:

Read on Twitter

Sheesh!

I may come of as a hater. But Jimmy had a fantastic run in the bubble frigging amazing job. And this is just me without any empirical proof or stats to back me up. But I would not be surprised if that was the best Jimmy we will ever see, "Bubble Jimmy" Also work on your 3 point shot Jimmy.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#997 » by rzzzzz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:51 pm

so Wade told Jimmy that Miami had a winning culture, when the two of them were stuck in Chicago. and Pat asked Wade to renew that conversation when he saw that Philly hadn't locked up his contract asap. so how wrong was Pat thinking that Jimmy would be the perfect catalyst to grow a young team around? about as wrong as he was when he hired Spo. w/o the injuries, they had a puncher;s chance to win the title. and South Beach ain't the worst place to attract another free agent.

rather than trying to minimize our mistakes by dishing dirt on Jimmy's best season, it's time to worry about building a winning culture right here, right now. we need to seriously support the big guy. motivate our blazing stretch. put Harris back into a scheme that will make us feel a little less stupid about the contract. and develop the young guys. is Doc up to it? after getting dumped by Ballmer, he at least seems motivated to get at what we got right here, right now. (and at least he would recognize what a championship run would look like from a HC point of view.) and I'd like to see what kind of move Elton might make after a general FO house cleaning. ( i like the chances he took the year before. last year, not so much.) yeah, a lot of what if's that would need to work out. but, we too still have a puncher's chance of pulling it off. and that's all that Hinkie was offering...a decent chance.
Orangey
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#998 » by Orangey » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:17 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I will repeat this again, we need to trade him while we can still get a superstar. His value is going to drop signiicatively in 2 o 3 years. Plus, we can't keep waisting Embiid's prime.

I think chemistry within personalities is the issue. Jimmy has always had an old soul and is super confrontational. Ben is a laid back Gen Z guy who probably sees Jimmy's attitude as antiquated or archaic. I still think Ben will be a top 10 guy before he turns 30. His defense and vision are elite. As he makes incremental progressions in his offensive game, not even necessarily shooting the 3, he will be what Jimmy Butler is now. Aside from the rip your throat out attitude on the court. Which is not necessary.
agiaco
Analyst

Post#999 » by agiaco » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:31 pm

elchengue20 wrote:With all due respect, what you are saying makes no sense.

Jimmy always had this mentality.That's why he consistenly got better.And that's why everywhere he goes teams gets better.That's why he has surpassed his potential by a million times.He wasn't even suposed to make the NBA.

Ben is the opposite of Butler. He has all the talent in the world. But just doesn't have the will and the drive. He's a soft entitled mental midget and that isn't likely going to change significately at 24 years old. I think he could end up being a Dwight Howard like case, future MVP talent and talented player in his early 20's, perennial loser and cancer after he started to get his fame,money and attention. And Howard was even more impactfull than him in Orlando.

The issue is Ben has some major flaws to his game. If he wants to be a #1 or #2 player in a championship team, he need to get a respectable jump shot (FT's and some midpost or 3pt game) and a couple of go to moves scoring wise.Also he has to be way more agressive.To improve he has to be humble to realize this and also he has to work considerably. With his mindset and priorities it isn't going to happen. If we keep him at least i expect we start to hold him way more accountable and push him to improve.If he doesn't like it just trade him.

Actually it makes a lot of sense. To sum it up again for you, Ben is 7 years younger than Jimmy Butler. They're two different people. What happens between now and when Simmons is 31 is to be determined. Stop reading into it so much and assuming you know exactly what Simmons is thinking or what he is doing to to improve.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#1000 » by Monix » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:15 pm

age 23 seasons:

Butler was a part-time starter on a decent team averaging under 10 ppg
Simmons was 1st Team all-defense and 3rd team all-NBA

If it did come down to picking one over the other - is there any doubt which was the right choice?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers