ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1661 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:54 am

Bensational wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
Bensational wrote:
If Bamba still has some lottery pick shine left on him, and they've soured on Robinson, perhaps...

#8 + Robinson + Smith

for

#15 + Bamba + Okeke

? Not sure they'd move Okeke yet, unless they really have a thing for DSJr?

Targets wise, sounds like Hayes is our man. If he's not there they may not want to move up. Having Fultz, DSJr and Hayes in the backcourt would be too short and young for WeHam's liking probably.

Detroit needs a PG hayes could be gone at #7

Yeah, #8 seems like the worst spot to trade up to. You'd want #3 or #4 at worst to secure grabbing anyone you think might go top 10 because the draft could go any which way.

Unless the thinking is move into #8 to secure whatever prospect you really want who may be slated to go anywhere in the top 15. A name that might randomly jump a few spots, like Nesmith. DSJr + Nesmith/Vassell gives us another (potential) playmaker in DSJr, and a 3+D shooter.

I think it is important to note that the rumor is being pushed out of NY, not Orlando. So we should be careful not to jump onto it too hard.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1662 » by drsd » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:06 am

IllMagic04 wrote:..
Im confused. So what would the trade look like. The Knicks would be giving up DSjr and the 8th pick for 15 and what exactly?

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app[/quote]

For me a dream trade would be Aminu, Birch and #15 for Smith, Bullock, and #8.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,280

Post#1663 » by pepe1991 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:18 am

drsd wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:..
Im confused. So what would the trade look like. The Knicks would be giving up DSjr and the 8th pick for 15 and what exactly?

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

For me a dream trade would be Aminu, Birch and #15 for Smith, Bullock, and #8.

..[/quote]

I really don't see scenario where Magic keeping pick and getting Smith, getting Knicks pick AND Smith by sending Birch or Aminu is something you can't even pull on nba 2K :lol: Who da hell gives away lottery pick to remove 3rd string PG and adds third string C ? :crazy: They can simply waive him if he is some cancer they have zero desire to handle. He only makes $5,8M next year :dontknow:

Now if you include Gordon, Magic 2020 pick and Birch for Randle, 8th and Smith, we talk about some logical sense behind trade.

Ofc, is that good trade could be topic of debate and it's story for another day.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1664 » by j-ragg » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Aminu isn’t a positive asset at this point. That package would be closer to getting 28 than 8.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#1665 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:58 pm

Everyone has different evaluations of our players. I am very high on a ton of them... but if we really do want to make a big move and the GS trade is a real thing...I would totally entertain the thought of AG + VUC + #15 for Wiggins + TPE + #2.

Such a trade will immediately catapult them back into the contention for the top spot in the west, giving them the versatility they need on offense and defense. Just gotta hope the winning mentality sticks with our remaining player.

Personally i would select Deni with the 2nd pick if available as he will at the minimum be an average defender and still have a very high ceiling. But edwards would be a welcome treat... especially if cliff can bring out his fire.

Fultz/Wiggins/Avdija/Chuma/Bamba

or

Fultz/Edwards/Wiggins/Chuma/Bamba

would be exciting as hell... with a great mixture of offensive and defensive talent

and when JI comes back the following year... :-D
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1666 » by pepe1991 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:10 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:Everyone has different evaluations of our players. I am very high on a ton of them... but if we really do want to make a big move and the GS trade is a real thing...I would totally entertain the thought of AG + VUC + #15 for Wiggins + TPE + #2.

Such a trade will immediately catapult them back into the contention for the top spot in the west, giving them the versatility they need on offense and defense. Just gotta hope the winning mentality sticks with our remaining player.

Personally i would select Deni with the 2nd pick if available as he will at the minimum be an average defender and still have a very high ceiling. But edwards would be a welcome treat... especially if cliff can bring out his fire.

or

would be exciting as hell... with a great mixture of offensive and defensive talent

Define exiting?
18 wins season is exiting while hoping that poor man RJ Barrett type prospect will turn in anything more than poor man Oladipo down the line?

This type of trade could easly be shift into "team sold" direction after 4 years of missery.

That proposed roster is actually worst NBA roster today, by wide margin. LIke, Knicks have more talent than that.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#1667 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:21 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Everyone has different evaluations of our players. I am very high on a ton of them... but if we really do want to make a big move and the GS trade is a real thing...I would totally entertain the thought of AG + VUC + #15 for Wiggins + TPE + #2.

or

Define exiting?
18 wins season is exiting while hoping that poor man RJ Barrett type prospect will turn in anything more than poor man Oladipo down the line?

This type of trade could easly be shift into "team sold" direction after 4 years of missery.

That proposed roster is actually worst NBA roster today, by wide margin. LIke, Knicks have more talent than that.

Everyone knows i'm a huge AG and Vuc fan.... buttttt.... there will be a point where moves will need to be made... shoot I would even happily run back the same damn team next year... but sometimes we also have to think outside of the box

... and you can say what you want to... but "That proposed roster is actually worst NBA roster today, by wide margin. LIke, Knicks have more talent than that" is a stretch. but to each their own.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1668 » by pepe1991 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:39 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

or

Define exiting?

Everyone knows i'm a huge AG and Vuc fan.... buttttt.... there will be a point where moves will need to be made... shoot I would even happily run back the same damn team next year... but sometimes we also have to think outside of the box

... and you can say what you want to... but "That proposed roster is actually worst NBA roster today, by wide margin. LIke, Knicks have more talent than that" is a stretch. but to each their own.

I don't mind getting young, talented players that can change fortune of this team but let's face it... This draft does not have that type of player. Main reason why T wolves and Warriors are even shopping picks is because they know there is nobody really worth adding for long term gain. I saw some article today how Wiseman is "safest pick" and i started laughing. No *** that 7 foot tall athletic center is safest pick. But this is era where nobody needs center anyway so him being safest speeks volumen about other prospects than anything about him. He'll be, at worst, some Javale McGee type of player, but also at apsolute best he will be Ayton. Regardless he won't sniff near top 30 nba players in his career.

So you add Edwards and his whole set of mediocrities written all over him ( if he is even aveliable ) like crappy FT shooter, more toward bad than good side as shooter, poor movment without ball, settling for deep threes he can't make, bad at choosing when to take shots in general... and you get Wiggins, who makes you horrible. There has yet to be a team, coach or roster that Wiggins didn't make that much worst with his existence.

Where to go from there ? You have PG who can't shoot, you have shooting guard who isn't that good ofa shooter, you have Wiggins who is living black hole for any team, 0 games experience of Okeke who comes from ACL tear, Isaac who won't even play for a year, Bamba who can't put his a** in shape to play 20 min. That roster is apsolute disaster. Are Knicks really that much worst? RJ Barett still has more upside than any player i mentioned on that Magic roster.

And once again, it's draft or bust for 2021. We went through that path from 2011- 2018, we drafted 0 allstars in process.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,807

Post#1669 » by IllMagic04 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:53 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Define exiting?

I don't mind getting young, talented players that can change fortune of this team but let's face it... This draft does not have that type of player. Main reason why T wolves and Warriors are even shopping picks is because they know there is nobody really worth adding for long term gain. I saw some article today how Wiseman is "safest pick" and i started laughing. No *** that 7 foot tall athletic center is safest pick. But this is era where nobody needs center anyway so him being safest speeks volumen about other prospects than anything about him. He'll be, at worst, some Javale McGee type of player, but also at apsolute best he will be Ayton. Regardless he won't sniff near top 30 nba players in his career.

So you add Edwards and his whole set of mediocrities written all over him ( if he is even aveliable ) like crappy FT shooter, more toward bad than good side as shooter, poor movment without ball, settling for deep threes he can't make, bad at choosing when to take shots in general... and you get Wiggins, who makes you horrible. There has yet to be a team, coach or roster that Wiggins didn't make that much worst with his existence.

Where to go from there ? You have PG who can't shoot, you have shooting guard who isn't that good ofa shooter, you have Wiggins who is living black hole for any team, 0 games experience of Okeke who comes from ACL tear, Isaac who won't even play for a year, Bamba who can't put his a** in shape to play 20 min. That roster is apsolute disaster. Are Knicks really that much worst? RJ Barett still has more upside than any player i mentioned on that Magic roster.

And once again, it's draft or bust for 2021. We went through that path from 2011- 2018, we drafted 0 allstars in process.

Im a little bit higher on Edwards then you seem to be but for the most part I agree with what you said here. I def dont like Edwards enough to move AG and Vuc + take Wiggins contract to get him.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#1670 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:55 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Define exiting?

No one is arguing your possibilities.... but maybe since your outlook on some of the current players are different than mine... I see your point. I might be an extreme optimist to both... but yeah....

for me ... Fultz is taking another step forward and he exceeded my expectations of his trajectory. If you simply say... he can't shoot... then yep... it is a deficiency. For me... he will be average at the least sooner than some might think.

Whelp... 0 games or not... i'm projecting what okeke could be for this team based on what he was in college. and that's all we can do... same goes for anyone else in this draft and those that happened before. Isaac is gone for the season... and we all know that. he will be missed. He was a winning type of player off of his effort and skill... so yes I have faith in his transition.

bamba... the size was his major growing pain.... and he's done that. something that would allow him to be on the floor much more. and yes... it's hard to carve out too much time when you've got 32 min ahead of you. and in the restart ... it was stated that he was not in shape and i can get that for someone that added 30lb and was dealing with post covid.

Wiggins is definitely NOT my favorite pick... but he is still a young talent with potential and ability to grow both in skill and maturity.

so.. if you want to take the more negative outlook... so be it. And i know that your outcome is more than possible. But let's not act as though the positive is just as possible and we might end up somewhere in between.

Ideally to be honest with you.... if we could get away with AG for the 2nd and TPE... i'm down. Add deni and call it a day.

p.s. forgot fournier... but that's if he's still on the team... but was looking mainly at the young futures
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,339

Post#1671 » by Knightro » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:58 pm

Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer has released his first official mock draft.

1. Minnesota - Anthony Edwards
2. Golden State - Deni Avdija
3. Charlotte - LaMelo Ball
4. Chicago - Killian Hayes
5. Cleveland - James Wiseman
6. Atlanta - Isaac Okoro
7. Detroit - Onyeka Okongwu
8. New York - Tyrese Haliburton
9. Washington - Obi Toppin
10. Phoenix - Devin Vassell
11. San Antonio - Patrick Williams
12. Sacramento - RJ Hampton
13. New Orleans - Jalen Smith
14. Boston - Precious Achiuwa
15. Orlando - Terrell Terry, G, Stanford

Terry’s grown to 6-foot-2 barefoot and added 14 pounds to reach 174, and his stock has increased accordingly. Multiple league sources say Terry is receiving interest in the mid-first round. He’s been ranked in my top 10 for months because of his shotmaking ability packaged with a feel for passing and a grit for defense.

16. Saddiq Bey
17. Aaron Nesmith
18. Josh Green
19. Desmond Bane
20. Kira Lewis Jr.
21. Cole Anthony
22. Aleksej Pokusevski
23. Tyrese Maxey

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/
IllMagic04
Analyst

Post#1672 » by IllMagic04 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:07 pm

Knightro wrote:Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer has released his first official mock draft.

1. Minnesota - Anthony Edwards
2. Golden State - Deni Avdija
3. Charlotte - LaMelo Ball
4. Chicago - Killian Hayes
5. Cleveland - James Wiseman
6. Atlanta - Isaac Okoro
7. Detroit - Onyeka Okongwu
8. New York - Tyrese Haliburton
9. Washington - Obi Toppin
10. Phoenix - Devin Vassell
11. San Antonio - Patrick Williams
12. Sacramento - RJ Hampton
13. New Orleans - Jalen Smith
14. Boston - Precious Achiuwa
15. Orlando - Terrell Terry, G, Stanford

Terry’s grown to 6-foot-2 barefoot and added 14 pounds to reach 174, and his stock has increased accordingly. Multiple league sources say Terry is receiving interest in the mid-first round. He’s been ranked in my top 10 for months because of his shotmaking ability packaged with a feel for passing and a grit for defense.

16. Saddiq Bey
17. Aaron Nesmith
18. Josh Green
19. Desmond Bane
20. Kira Lewis Jr.
21. Cole Anthony
22. Aleksej Pokusevski
23. Tyrese Maxey

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/
Thats who I want. I have a feeling somebody might take him ahead of us. If hes on the board thats who I want

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,339

Post#1673 » by Knightro » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:08 pm

If Terry was a better ball handler, I'd be falling over myself to draft him.

But at the same time, if he was a better ball handler, he'd probably be a sure-fire top 10 pick because the rest of his game offensively is pretty good.

I actually think Terry could be a good fit with Fultz because Fultz is big enough to guard 2's and Terry is comfortable off the ball.

If he's actually gained 14 pounds like KOC said, that's an encouraging sign that he may be able to eventually get to a place where he's not BBQ chicken defensively because of his frame.

The Magic could do a lot worse at 15.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#1674 » by jezzerinho » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 pm

I feel Orl will try to move up for Haliburton. If they dont/can't and stay pat at 15, I think Terry is far and away the best option we could hope for.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,922

Post#1675 » by MagicMatic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:48 pm

We all know what this means if pundits and fans think Terry is a prime option for Orlando....

Orlando will take a big.
BlueBlazer
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#1676 » by BlueBlazer » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:06 pm

MagicMatic wrote:We all know what this means if pundits and fans think Terry is a prime option for Orlando....

Orlando will take a big.

Just as long as wingspan checks out.
“I thought our Director of Scouting was just another name for a tape measure.” - StanVanGandhi
IllMagic04
Analyst

Post#1677 » by IllMagic04 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Knightro wrote:If Terry was a better ball handler, I'd be falling over myself to draft him.

But at the same time, if he was a better ball handler, he'd probably be a sure-fire top 10 pick because the rest of his game offensively is pretty good.

I actually think Terry could be a good fit with Fultz because Fultz is big enough to guard 2's and Terry is comfortable off the ball.

If he's actually gained 14 pounds like KOC said, that's an encouraging sign that he may be able to eventually get to a place where he's not BBQ chicken defensively because of his frame.

Exactly. Plus we can let DJ go but keep MCW. That way he stays on the court with a good defensive guard at all times. I think its a good fit. Im just worried once teams get a look at him in whatever the combine looks like hes gonna get picked earlier. Even if hes there I dont trust this front office to pick him.

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#1678 » by zaymon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:48 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:
Knightro wrote:If Terry was a better ball handler, I'd be falling over myself to draft him.

Exactly. Plus we can let DJ go but keep MCW. That way he stays on the court with a good defensive guard at all times. I think its a good fit. Im just worried once teams get a look at him in whatever the combine looks like hes gonna get picked earlier. Even if hes there I dont trust this front office to pick him.

Well somebody will fall to us. I dont know if Terry is Weltmans type but he definetly is smart and Clifford is all about smart players in his interviews.
I just dont see why we would draft Terry over someone like Bane. I dont see a star potential in Tyrell unless he significantly improves his handle.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,145

Post#1679 » by Def Swami » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:00 pm

jezzerinho wrote:I feel Orl will try to move up for Haliburton. If they dont/can't and stay pat at 15, I think Terry is far and away the best option we could hope for.

The more I watch old clips of Haliburton and listen to his interviews, the more he becomes my favorite prospect in the draft. I really like his game. If the Magic do move up, I would hope it's for Haliburton. But, standing pat at 15 with Terry, Nesmith, and Lewis on the board wouldn't be bad also.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1680 » by MoMM » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:17 pm

zaymon wrote:I dont see a star potential in Tyrell unless he significantly improves his handle.

Star potential? Aren't you asking too much for a mid 1st pick?

Return to Orlando Magic