Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#1401 » by LuessiT » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:12 pm

soxperry wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Amen on Bane. This is a draft with lots of great shooters, and he might be the best of them. And he's not 1 dimensional. His strength/power and skills will allow him to score in other ways, and he plays smart defense - though he'll probably have issues 1 on 1 with quicker guards.

why would the best shooter fall that far in an era that is so heavily focused on shooting?

We've had this discussion. Imo he's not close to being the best shooter (Howard?) and he doesn't project to be a high volume 3 point shooter. Good shooters are defined by the amount of shots they can reasonably take, not necessarily their percentage. Bane is a fine prospect and I'd gladly take him with our pick but imo most of his shots at the NBA will be from C&S situations.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,357

Post#1402 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Anyone have any thoughts about Killian Tillie to replace Ersan/Marvin in the 4/5 role?
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,853

Post#1403 » by Fotis St » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:57 pm

M-C-G wrote:Anyone have any thoughts about Killian Tillie to replace Ersan/Marvin in the 4/5 role?

Yes, he is on my like list...

31 Killian Tillie (Like) 44.4% 3p Kevin Love type 6'10

In the Ringer I saw that he has health issues.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#1404 » by leroyjw10 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:08 pm

LuessiT wrote:
soxperry wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Amen on Bane. This is a draft with lots of great shooters, and he might be the best of them. And he's not 1 dimensional. His strength/power and skills will allow him to score in other ways, and he plays smart defense - though he'll probably have issues 1 on 1 with quicker guards.

why would the best shooter fall that far in an era that is so heavily focused on shooting?

We've had this discussion. Imo he's not close to being the best shooter (Howard?) and he doesn't project to be a high volume 3 point shooter. Good shooters are defined by the amount of shots they can reasonably take, not necessarily their percentage. Bane is a fine prospect and I'd gladly take him with our pick but imo most of his shots at the NBA will be from C&S situations.

Nesmith shot better than 52% on 115 three-point attempts, with more than eight 3s attempted per game. Not all easy attempts either. That seems pretty good.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1405 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:09 pm

Fotis St wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Anyone have any thoughts about Killian Tillie to replace Ersan/Marvin in the 4/5 role?

Yes, he is on my like list...

31 Killian Tillie (Like) 44.4% 3p Kevin Love type 6'10

In the Ringer I saw that he has health issues.

I feel like Giannis offsets a lot of his weaknesses, could be an excellent pairing. Does a lot of things on offense that look like a bigger Middleton actually

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#1406 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:29 pm

If he's there I wouldn't have any problem with him being the pick. Just have to hope his body holds up.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,363

Post#1407 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Someone's gonna have to convince me that Tillie won't be a Ryan Anderson-level defensive sieve in the NBA.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1408 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:58 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Someone's gonna have to convince me that Tillie won't be a Ryan Anderson-level defensive sieve in the NBA.

I'm not going to be that person because I just don't make the time to watch college bball any longer, but here is what the ringer said about his def

Physical man-to-man defender who battles in the paint and moves well laterally on the perimeter.

Alert team defender who rotates well, communicates, and puts himself in proper position to help.

Lost some of his mobility defending on the perimeter due to his injuries.

I'm also fine, I think, trying to make a move for Kevin Love and pairing him and Giannis as kind of a dual 4/5 combo. I like Marvin and Ersan but feel like that 17.5 mpg might be the easiest to upgrade this offseason.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1409 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:54 pm

LuessiT wrote:
soxperry wrote:

Bane's got deeep 3 range, and can get off 3's in volume using his step-back move and quick release.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#1410 » by RiotPunch » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:19 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Someone's gonna have to convince me that Tillie won't be a Ryan Anderson-level defensive sieve in the NBA.

Tillie has lighter feet and better hips than Ryno did, and has very active hands. Produces more TO's than you would think. He's super smart as well. He's limited as an athlete, and lacks great length, but everything else is there. Not gonna be a stalwart, but not a sieve once he gets acclimated, IMO.

He would be an easy FRP for me, maybe even Top-20 if not for his chronic injuries. Would love his shooting and vision/passing to help the flow of our half court game.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#1411 » by RiotPunch » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:27 pm

I still really want Tillman, depending on the board. He's built for playoff basketball. Just get him on the Bud vitamin diet to develop that 3 ball and he is the perfect small ball brute of a 5 for when Brook gets played off the court. He is equal parts intelligent/nasty, and we need a heavy dose of both. Could see him having a Grant Williams type impact.
#FreeChuckDiesel
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#1412 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:51 pm

Gotta eat some crow.

Lamelo is the number one prospect in this draft. Gonna need some coaching but he has gifts you can’t teach as a floor general.

I feel dirty.
Do it for Chuck
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1413 » by M-C-G » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:11 pm

I like Tyler Bey on this team...there, I said it.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#1414 » by LuessiT » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:25 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Gotta eat some crow.

Lamelo is the number one prospect in this draft. Gonna need some coaching but he has gifts you can’t teach as a floor general.

I feel dirty.

He's a wierd archetype imo. I just have a hard time seeing a championship calibre team with him as your best or second best player. Right now he's a significantly worse version of Ben Simmons. On the other hand he would be insane on a loaded team like the Warriors imo (who seem to not fancy him at all).
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#1415 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:13 am

LuessiT wrote:

I feel dirty.

He's a wierd archetype imo. I just have a hard time seeing a championship calibre team with him as your best or second best player. Right now he's a significantly worse version of Ben Simmons. On the other hand he would be insane on a loaded team like the Warriors imo (who seem to not fancy him at all).

That’s tough. Lamelo has a projectable jumper and I think he has the lateral quickness to guard all point guards large and small. Simmons is a ball handling 4.
Do it for Chuck
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1416 » by Ruzious » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Lol, I'm not going to lose any sleep about not having the opportunity to get Lamelo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,490

Post#1417 » by JayMKE » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:32 pm

LaMelo is hard to rate, his crazy ass dad makes it hard to objective. Even with his natural gifts who knows how many bad habits he's developed over the years because of his dad's obsession control, how open to being coached is he? Will his dad **** off once he's in the league? LaMelo has always supposed to be the most talented of the Ball kids and Lonzo isn't that bad but he didn't have his development sabotaged like LaMelo has. It doesn't matter how good of a shooter or passer he is if he's dumb as **** and uncoachable. I'd probably go Edwards and Wiseman over Ball for sure.
FREE GIANNIS
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,220

Post#1418 » by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:11 pm

I think Tyrell Terry will be better than Lamelo...

*ducks and hides hoping people forgot about your Dennis Smith Jr. take*
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#1419 » by mattg » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:00 am

jakecronus8 wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

I feel dirty.

That’s tough. Lamelo has a projectable jumper and I think he has the lateral quickness to guard all point guards large and small. Simmons is a ball handling 4.

Projectable jumper? Literally there isn't a single thing about his J that is good. You need to completely rebuild like 15 years of bad habits. Lonzo had a way more projectable J and we have seen that so far. Right now Lamelo is basically taller Brandon Jennings with a worse J who hasn't really ever played meaningful organized team basketball ever.
RiotPunch
RealGM

Post#1420 » by RiotPunch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:52 am

mattg wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

Projectable jumper? Literally there isn't a single thing about his J that is good. You need to completely rebuild like 15 years of bad habits. Lonzo had a way more projectable J and we have seen that so far. Right now Lamelo is basically taller Brandon Jennings with a worse J who hasn't really ever played meaningful organized team basketball ever.

LaMelo is actually surprisingly promising as a shooter off the dribble. I don't think he's ever be a good shooter overall, but hopefully good enough off-dribble to be respected by the defense.
Read on Twitter

His vision/passing ability is preternatural though, rendering any Brandon Jennings comps astray.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Milwaukee Bucks