ImageImage

Giannis Thread - 2 Time MVP - The Contract discussions

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Re: Giannis Thread - 2 Time MVP 

Post#661 » by theFireBlanket » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:51 am

blazza18 wrote:you think he retires after embarrassing Giannis again?

No, I'm pretty sure if LeBron does something petty like that, it's going to remain with Giannis'.

Bron can get his honorary look what he's doing at his age "narrative" MVP next year. Meanwhile Gianni's has a better season than this one & won't bat a lash or whispher entitled jealous remarks. He's already on a mission. Call out the MVP vote in a presser, talk up never missing a playoff game in your career & then purposefully show up in Giannis presence to give Kostas a ring. He'd be asking to have his ass handed to him when they go head to head.

He'll put this team in the Finals next year & LeBron will see him go off if the Lakers make it.

At that point Giannis will go on a finals appearance streak & LBJ won't be able to beat him.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,658

Post#662 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:10 am

I respect your optimism.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,214

Post#663 » by HKPackFan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:55 am

skones wrote:
emunney wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Yeah, I always throught about that. LBJ (granted he is a freak in the NBA) has 6 inches and 25 pounds on TO. Although he has less speed and what makes lebron lebron is IQ which is less important if all you do is catch the ball versus passing, catching, shooting, etc.

His IQ would help, but there are no TEs with more athleticism than LeBron and none with better hands. Ran a 4.6 in his late 20s.

MJ ran sub 4.4 at UNC.

I guess I question "better hands." Football hands and basketball hands are VERY VERY different. Put most of these NBA guys in front of jug machines and they look like clowns. There are plenty of great athletes who just don't cut it in the NBA and you don't see them pop their heads into the NFL and become all-timers. Guys like Graham, Gonzalez, and Gates are exceptions not the rule.

Some big guys who switch from bball to football are amazing at the deep jump ball. We have a guy on our flag football team, his timing on deep balls is amazing. He has by far the best hands on our team, and his specialty is the deep ball. He says it's because he rebounds all day long, he just knows the timing.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#664 » by Fotis St » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:23 pm

blazza18 wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:
Fotis St wrote:So when does LeBron go to Giannis house himself for dinner with his brother Kostas to give the Ring to the 1st ever Antetokounmpo Champion ?

If he does that, LeBron might not ever win a ring again. :wink:

You think he retires after embarrassing Giannis again?

No , LeBron is a mental Giant at this stage of his career

I bet he says something like this to Giannis instead, to torch him :

:king: "I will make sure, Kostas gets more Rings, then you will ever get in your entire career" :king:

In an on court post-championship interview LeBron's beautiful answer in a really intriguing question:

What would you say to the 28 year old LeBron who won his first Championship, if you could ?

" I would tell him he has no idea how good he can become , and if I had to face against him with all his athleticism ...
I would tell him ... You ain't got a chance "

This is a heck of an answer and the 28 year old LeBron is close to what Giannis is.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#665 » by skones » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:26 pm

HKPackFan wrote:
skones wrote:
emunney wrote:
His IQ would help, but there are no TEs with more athleticism than LeBron and none with better hands. Ran a 4.6 in his late 20s.

MJ ran sub 4.4 at UNC.

I guess I question "better hands." Football hands and basketball hands are VERY VERY different. Put most of these NBA guys in front of jug machines and they look like clowns. There are plenty of great athletes who just don't cut it in the NBA and you don't see them pop their heads into the NFL and become all-timers. Guys like Graham, Gonzalez, and Gates are exceptions not the rule.

Some big guys who switch from bball to football are amazing at the deep jump ball. We have a guy on our flag football team, his timing on deep balls is amazing. He has by far the best hands on our team, and his specialty is the deep ball. He says it's because he rebounds all day long, he just knows the timing.

It's flag football. It's not the NFL. Not only that, but the deep jump ball doesn't get you in the NFL. It's a low percentage play. I've played kickball with a guy who sniffed the NFL by playing in preseason games as a wideout and kick returner. I was better at him in the outfield tracking balls and catching them. It wasn't even close, yet if it came to running routes, and timing, and turning without knowing where the ball is and having to make a split second reaction? He'd be far better.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,719

Post#666 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:55 pm

Just my humble $.02 but I think the way Gianni unlocks his game is realizing he's not LeBron or KD. He needs to evolve into a hyper-evolutionary version of Kevin Garnett with an elite transition game (and better passing). It's why acquiring a good PG for this team is mega-crucial.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#667 » by Fotis St » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:54 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Just my humble $.02 but I think the way Gianni unlocks his game is realizing he's not LeBron or KD. He needs to evolve into a hyper-evolutionary version of Kevin Garnett with an elite transition game (and better passing). It's why acquiring a good PG for this team is mega-crucial.

He is really close to the 25 year old Lebron averaging 9 min less than Lebron

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Giannis+Antetokounmpo&player_id1_select=Giannis+Antetokounmpo&player_id1=antetgi01&idx=bbr__players&p1yrfrom=2020&player_id2_hint=LeBron+James&player_id2_select=LeBron+James&player_id2=jamesle01&idx=bbr__players&p2yrfrom=2010

He needs his Robin and has alot to improve too.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,618

Post#668 » by Gianstoppable » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:14 pm

Fotis St wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:Just my humble $.02 but I think the way Gianni unlocks his game is realizing he's not LeBron or KD. He needs to evolve into a hyper-evolutionary version of Kevin Garnett with an elite transition game (and better passing). It's why acquiring a good PG for this team is mega-crucial.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Giannis+Antetokounmpo&player_id1_select=Giannis+Antetokounmpo&player_id1=antetgi01&idx=bbr__players&p1yrfrom=2020&player_id2_hint=LeBron+James&player_id2_select=LeBron+James&player_id2=jamesle01&idx=bbr__players&p2yrfrom=2010

His Robin couldnt even play in the 2nd round, poor fella his brother hogged all the minutes
#FreeChuckDiesel
giannis and 1
Starter
And1: 1,111

Post#669 » by giannis and 1 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:53 pm

Giannis' mentality needs to be pass first. Drive and then make a decision on whether you want to take it all the way to the rim or pass. No more games where he takes 6 3 point shots.
still learning the game

Matches Malone wrote:How did NBA fandom get to the point that it's more fun to thirst over players on other teams than to care more about your own team and players...
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#670 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 am

If Giannis sees LeBron this offseason I hope its b/c GA actually goes to workout with him and sheds the "i dont want my opponents knowing my moves" pride.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,403

Post#671 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:29 am

Bucksfan28 wrote:If Giannis sees LeBron this offseason I hope its b/c GA actually goes to workout with him and sheds the "i dont want my opponents knowing my moves" pride.

I don't want my opponents knowing my move.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#672 » by CharityStripe34 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Fotis St wrote:

That's the thing I'm speaking about style of play, not stats. Forcing him to be a Durant-like stretch PF/C isn't the way to go. He'll never shoot like Durant and he'll never be as good or creative a passer as LeBron. He can, however, be a perfectly deadly mid-range attacker with 2-3 simple, effective post-up moves. With his athleticism, touch and striding he can be at the rim before the double arrives or have simpler passing lanes if teams bring a hard-double.

Bringing in a savvy PG who can run an offense will ease Gianni's burden even in transition, where all he would have to do is run the floor and just body up whomever is cross matched with him in semi-transition for easy rim-run baskets. Of course, easier said than done because try convincing a two-time MVP to transition to playing more off-ball and out of the mid/high post as opposed to handling the ball at the top of the key. That will be, IMO, what unlocks his game and frees him up to have an easier time dominating as opposed to being a high-usage oversized wing player a la Durant/LeBron. Durant is elite at shooting and handling. LeBron at handling and passing. Gianni is very good at three out of the four, but a mediocre (at best) shooter and is more a "big who can handle and pass" rather than an "elite passing and/or shooting" big wing. If that makes sense.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Fotis St
General Manager

Post#673 » by Fotis St » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:06 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:
Fotis St wrote:

That's the thing I'm speaking about style of play, not stats. Forcing him to be a Durant-like stretch PF/C isn't the way to go. He'll never shoot like Durant and he'll never be as good or creative a passer as LeBron. He can, however, be a perfectly deadly mid-range attacker with 2-3 simple, effective post-up moves. With his athleticism, touch and striding he can be at the rim before the double arrives or have simpler passing lanes if teams bring a hard-double.

Bringing in a savvy PG who can run an offense will ease Gianni's burden even in transition, where all he would have to do is run the floor and just body up whomever is cross matched with him in semi-transition for easy rim-run baskets. Of course, easier said than done because try convincing a two-time MVP to transition to playing more off-ball and out of the mid/high post as opposed to handling the ball at the top of the key. That will be, IMO, what unlocks his game and frees him up to have an easier time dominating as opposed to being a high-usage oversized wing player a la Durant/LeBron. Durant is elite at shooting and handling. LeBron at handling and passing. Gianni is very good at three out of the four, but a mediocre (at best) shooter and is more a "big who can handle and pass" rather than an "elite passing and/or shooting" big wing. If that makes sense.

We agree my friend . My point is Giannis can improve to be like LeBron. He is too young, paired with some Veterans with cement feet and the most stubborn worst in game coach (on a competing team) I have ever seen. Giannis will do whatever coach staff say. If they ran some post Giannis sets he would execute. As I said he is not mentally ready as LeBron right now, but I am optimistic he will grow as a player more, become better passer and slow down his game with more IQ plays in mid court.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,118

Post#674 » by DingleJerry » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:28 pm

I'm not really sure he can improve to that type of level playing the same type of game as Lebron. He just can't shoot like that, his form is really only capable as a set shot and can't shoot off the dribble at all. I'm with Charity here, show him how easy it was for AD this year and find him the lead ball handler who can make it happen.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,922

Post#675 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:30 pm

I don't have a problem with Giannis as lead ball handler for 95% of the games he's going to play in. The Bucks have been a juggernaut with him in that role. But it would be nice to have someone take the pressure off him when we need him to be more off-ball when teams pack the paint.
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#676 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:32 am

I think his transition game as transition facilitator scorer should be the cherry on top of his game, not his main point of attack. Up-tempo transition offenses get stymied in the playoffs, almost every time. If he doesn't transition his game to the half-court he'll never win anything. I don't mean that he has to turn into Prime Hakeem by next season. But he could certainly do something similar to what Davis does, except in different ways, just from the same areas of the court.

Question remains is are we sure Bud is the right coach for a player like him? I don't want Gianni to inherit the rigidity of a coach like Bud who runs his system and lives or dies by it (lack of adjusting). Eventually he'll see the broken record syndrome and begin to pine for greener pastures.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#677 » by SirChurros » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:07 am

Giannis should be playing off-ball in the halfcourt for sure. He has it in his hands, at the top of circle, way too much. It's why this team needs a primary ball handler who is a threat to score.

I was looking at shooting numbers recently and Giannis is actually a good catch and shoot guy from three. At least he was this season.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,551

Post#678 » by blazza18 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:03 am

Feel like even without a huge upgrade we need to move Giannis off ball more regardless. Giving him less responsibility should be able to free his mind more and make less mistakes.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,750

Post#679 » by tydett » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:42 pm

blazza18 wrote:Feel like even without a huge upgrade we need to move Giannis off ball more regardless. Giving him less responsibility should be able to free his mind more and make less mistakes.

Especially since his high dribble and lack of elite handles means he commits a lot more turnovers than he should against good team defense when driving to the hoop.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,118

Post#680 » by DingleJerry » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:49 pm

blazza18 wrote:Feel like even without a huge upgrade we need to move Giannis off ball more regardless. Giving him less responsibility should be able to free his mind more and make less mistakes.

Agree. I'm sure a shakeup of some kind will happen. But if we generally run it back, spend a ton of time in regular season half court based around Giannis ball screens to Bled and Mid. Mid/Giannis seems rarely run but does seem to get good results, spend a ton of time improving on it and maybe Khris will improve on his issues like handle with tons of reps in regular season. Bled was a good PnR lead before he came here, run it and practice it. Who knows if it's good enough to get over the hump, but this has to be better than the current have Giannis barrel into 3 guys while no one moves around him.

Fundamentally this comes to a shift on half court offense. The spread squares is a starting block in transition but when it gets slowed need to adjust into normal ball screen and motion with Giannis being a mass gravity pull freeing everyone else up. Oh, and actually set the screens!!! Not stand there and then run away before contact.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks