Zack Greinke: Don\'t Miss Having Fans In Stands

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Zack Greinke: Don\'t Miss Having Fans In Stands 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:25 pm

Zack Greinke has enjoyed playing in empty stadiums during the COVID-19 pandemic.

\"I don\'t really notice fans when the game\'s going on, but warming up and practice before games, I mean, for me it\'s nice not having fans in the stands,\" Greinke said. \"Most people like it. When the game comes on, it\'s the same for me.\"

When asked to explain further, the pitcher said: \"Because then there\'s no one there to talk to you and ask for autographs and want pictures and all that stuff. I don\'t like to do that stuff. It\'s nice not having them, for me. Most people like it. I don\'t like it.\"

Greinke discussed during spring training in 2013 that he had social anxiety disorder since before high school but no longer considered it a problem. He did not mention anxiety while discussing the empty stadiums.

Via ESPN

Obitron64
Sophomore
And1: 107

Re: Zack Greinke: Don\'t Miss Having Fans In Stands 

Post#2 » by Obitron64 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:02 pm

Pretty sure its the anxiety talking.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#3 » by 720 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:22 pm

Anxiety while also being a pitcher? Probably the most stressful job in baseball. Lol
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#4 » by dougthonus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:00 pm

Probably not what fans want to hear, but probably accurate for most players after a few years of being in any sports league.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:56 pm

Social anxiety is in a category all its own. You’re uncomfortable and nervous in social situations, often amplified by people you are unfamiliar with.

My PTSD is amplified by crowds and tight spaces. So while I am neither agoraphobic or claustrophobic, those situations have a tendency to trigger my anxiety.

Although my experience is different, I can sympathize with Greinke. It’s impressive that he can perform at such a high level.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#6 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:23 pm

TBH, I love the honesty. Maybe it can rub off onto the rest of the team.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#7 » by the_process » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:05 pm

You call it social anxiety disorder. I call it being standoffish, and that’s the nice word.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s fine to not like people. But you also have to accept people calling you a ****. Guess he fits right in on the Astros LOL
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#8 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:52 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:TBH, I love the honesty. Maybe it can rub off onto the rest of the team.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion