Post#1 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:04 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Re: Playoff Rondo Opts Out - Enters Free Agency 

Post#2 » by BEazy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:12 am

Damn was hoping he would of opted in. Maybe opting out in order for us to land a 3rd star?

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,829

Post#3 » by Beethoven » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:16 am

Huh what?

He's my favorite player besides BRON &BROW

this sad.

Is this implying another playmaker who is also headstrong is coming in? The only thing i can think of as two headstrong playmakers off the bench won't do.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#4 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:22 am

He was huge for the Lakers. He was steady and never afraid of the big moment. He took off pressure from Lebron having to run the offense full time.

His defense against Harden in the Houston series was very good at the point of attack.

Big loss for the Lakers but not surprised. He was only getting paid like 2.5 million a year.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#5 » by Dr Aki » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:25 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Damn was hoping he would of opted in. Maybe opting out in order for us to land a 3rd star?

He's making the veteran's minimum. There is no cap space to go after big free agents.

Lakers can offer him up to the non tax paying MLE, estimated to be around 10 million
TJM217
Pro Prospect
And1: 242

Post#6 » by TJM217 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:05 am

Not the biggest rondo fan but he was big for us in the playoffs. He's the only guy outside of Lebron that can dribble a ball. Don't blame him for opting out. Gotta get that last big paycheck after that playoff performance
Lake Show Baby!!!
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#7 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:10 am

Maybe there's a plan . Otherwise, WTH!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#8 » by LBC SoCal » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:55 am

Had a feeling he would, his value is really high at the moment so he has to maximize as much as possible.

I’m wondering if KCP is looking at this and considering his options as well.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,930

Post#9 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:08 am

Makes sense for him. I suspect he will come back to Lakers but for a multi-year deal and with promises of a transition to coaching.

It took him time to find people who respect him, I doubt he gives that up.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#10 » by stan francisco » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:39 am

LBC SoCal wrote:Had a feeling he would, his value is really high at the moment so he has to maximize as much as possible.

I’m wondering if KCP is looking at this and considering his options as well.

I’m thinking that KCP like most free agents with player option will opt in. There’s a theory that almost all of them (PO) will opt in because of Covid. No live games equates to less revenue equates to stagnant cap equates to lower priced contracts or less fat contracts.

I agree with what your take on Rondo opting out because he performed in the playoffs at the value of a $10-15M player. He gets paid $2.5M now? Can’t blame him for wanting one last good contract. I hope he takes the MLE and stays with us and retires a Laker.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#11 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:05 am

Damn... Maybe there is a plan but I don't know what it could be... Coach? But I'm disappointed...

Is Dwight already a FA? If not, I expect he'll be next...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#12 » by Hoopz Afrik » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:28 am

That's what he was supposed to do. Why would he have opted in with the amount of money he could stand to make from the Lakers or someone else on the open market?
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#13 » by DanishLakerFan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:56 am

I loved what Rondo brought to the team these playoffs and would love to get him back, but i wouldn't spend the full MLE to retain him.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#14 » by Ernest » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:20 am

zimpy27 wrote:Makes sense for him. I suspect he will come back to Lakers but for a multi-year deal and with promises of a transition to coaching.

Celtics fan (and still huge Rondo fan) here and I think you are right. I would love for him to come home to Boston but I think you are right. Opt out, get more money maybe more years from LAL and stay. Rondo needs to be on a team with really good players. I doubt he has any intention of going to a bad team that could give him a bigger role. Maybe another good team where he could start? Just don't see who that would be and why it would be worth the risk. The Lakers look to stay a really tough team to beat, why not go for more rings at the end of a career.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#15 » by Slava » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:16 am

Unless there's a move that lands a higher caliber PG, I'd bring him back for about $5M/season. He's not perfect, especially in the dredges of the regular season but he seems to have found a groove around the core players.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#16 » by JVL » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:12 am

He'll come back, I doubt he just wants to play for a small market team for more money. He'll want rings and be around greats to transition to a coaching career, not be forgotten somewhere in Minnesota or whatever.

He had an OK season for us eventually. Showed up bigtime in some playoff games but also disappeared completely in games 3/4/5 of the Finals. Let's not forget that he shot 4/22 in those. He didn't play against Portland and we didn't miss him. He was an important role player against Houston in games 2/3 and against Denver he wasn't all that useful for us.

What I'm trying to say is that I'd be happy if he came back but his handful of "Playoff Rondo" outbursts can't outshine the many invisible games he had for us this year. We'll thrive without Rondo as well, obviously.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,930

Post#17 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Ernest wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Makes sense for him. I suspect he will come back to Lakers but for a multi-year deal and with promises of a transition to coaching.

Celtics fan (and still huge Rondo fan) here and I think you are right. I would love for him to come home to Boston but I think you are right. Opt out, get more money maybe more years from LAL and stay. Rondo needs to be on a team with really good players. I doubt he has any intention of going to a bad team that could give him a bigger role. Maybe another good team where he could start? Just don't see who that would be and why it would be worth the risk. The Lakers look to stay a really tough team to beat, why not go for more rings at the end of a career.

In interviews he kept talking about how he had the opportunity to work with the coaches and that he loved it. He wants to transition to being a coach in the NBA.

So I imagine any playoff team that gives him the opportunity to do that will be possible. Lakers have advantage because he knows they respect his opinion and vogel has minimal ego. But other places could offer much more money and I'm sure he'd accept that.

Clippers would probably love to poach him. No te.needs him more.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#18 » by slifersd » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:23 pm

He was instrumental to our playoff run, but we shouldn't sacrifice the opportunity to upgrade our roster to pay him. If he wants the MLE, he can go get it somewhere else. We need some youth and much better shooting, we will need the MLE to address that.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#19 » by stan francisco » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:34 pm

Instrumental to our championship. Re-sign him. If we don’t have to spend the full MLE, great. Priceless, to have a veteran player with his IQ to be the coach on the floor.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#20 » by BEazy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:41 pm

I mean If Rondo wants out he can. I have a feeling CP3 is going to join us. He and LeBron are already probably talking about it right now.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24

Return to Los Angeles Lakers