ImageImage

We "Don't" Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,138

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1481 » by Rich4114 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 12:55 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I will honestly never understand why Monk has so many fans here.

I will also be shocked if Bacon is back.

He has electric athletic ability for his size, is quick, handles the ball well, has range, can finish, can create, has not had the best opportunity starting his career and is still one of the youngest guys on the team. There’s loads of potential there as well. Those are likely your reasons.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1482 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Aug 5, 2020 2:15 am

Rich4114 wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I will honestly never understand why Monk has so many fans here.

He has electric athletic ability for his size, is quick, handles the ball well, has range, can finish, can create, has not had the best opportunity starting his career and is still one of the youngest guys on the team. There’s loads of potential there as well. Those are likely your reasons.

It just reminds me of the worst of MKG. People keep trying to find reasons to hope with him, and he's done even less to deserve it on the court or off.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1483 » by Rich4114 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 9:46 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:

It just reminds me of the worst of MKG. People keep trying to find reasons to hope with him, and he's done even less to deserve it on the court or off.

I hear you on that. But I’d say with MKG, he never had any special abilities just that he was a hard worker and defensive focused guy. He didn’t have any special finishing ability, had a broken jumper, couldn’t create, etc. Monk has those tools and has shown improvement. He’s a much more exciting prospect at this stage than MKG was at this stage. Slam compared him to Felton in that regards, I’d say that’s closer but he still stands out on his own to me. I’m willing to bet if Mitchell went ahead of him and we were never rumored to take him, the Monk fan opinion would be much different.

That said, if he can’t pick up where he left off and shows any kind of regression I think the long term outlook is exactly what we’ve mostly seen from him the last two years.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1484 » by euphorbus » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:04 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:It just reminds me of the worst of MKG. People keep trying to find reasons to hope with him, and he's done even less to deserve it on the court or off.

My high opinion of Monk has changed little since he was drafted. The first year under Clifford was a waste. The second year Monk started getting the hang of NBA ball. Last year, we started to see a breakout, which the drug suspension interrupted, followed by the suspension of the entire season. Given increased minutes, his numbers improved across the board, with the exception of three-point shooting, which should be his bread-and-butter.

I stated that he needs to raise the arch of his three-point shot, because from simple geometry, given a higher angle of entry, your ball has a better chance of going in the hoop, plus it has a better chance of bouncing up and in. On top of that, Monk needs to make better shot selection, which I think was improved last season. He also needs to keep improving his defense, which has been a weakness from the start. As Rich points out, Monk has the speed to become a decent defensive player.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,301

Post#1485 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:51 am

Just came across this update on Malik Monk and I'm pumped about him this year!

Mitch Kupchak has repeatedly called Monk this team’s most talented player.

“When I say that, I mean in terms of his athleticism for his size, his speed and quickness, his ability to get up the floor, his skill level — being able to shoot the ball and handle the ball,” Kupchak described in a June interview on WFNZ. “He’s got a pretty finished package.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article245893695.html
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1486 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:54 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Just came across this update on Malik Monk and I'm pumped about him this year!

Mitch Kupchak has repeatedly called Monk this team’s most talented player.

“When I say that, I mean in terms of his athleticism for his size, his speed and quickness, his ability to get up the floor, his skill level — being able to shoot the ball and handle the ball,” Kupchak described in a June interview on WFNZ. “He’s got a pretty finished package.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article245893695.html

Furthermore, a recap from CBS of Monk's performance just prior to his suspension.

From Jan. 20 through Feb. 22, Monk averaged 17.8 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists over a 12-game sample, hitting 46.5 percent of his field goals and 37.5 percent of his threes.
It has been written...
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#1487 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:51 am

Read on Twitter
My picks:
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1488 » by DY_nasty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:53 am

makes sense and explains a lot

still hoping malik puts it all together
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#1489 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:09 am

Rich4114 wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Monk is out of the NBA next year.

That’s not happening. It’s far more likely he breaks out than spends his last year in the nba this season. What makes you think he’d be out of the league after this year?

The drug suspension. The fact that he still doesn't seem to really get it years into the league. That he isn't big enough to be the shooter he needs to be and his handle still isn't what it should be to drive. For all of his flashes, he's just a below average player who isn't going to make it.

I mean, he could have been something. But he isn't going to be.
My picks:
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#1490 » by Rich4114 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:12 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Monk is out of the NBA next year.

That’s not happening. It’s far more likely he breaks out than spends his last year in the nba this season. What makes you think he’d be out of the league after this year?

The drug suspension. The fact that he still doesn't seem to really get it years into the league. That he isn't big enough to be the shooter he needs to be and his handle still isn't what it should be to drive. For all of his flashes, he's just a below average player who isn't going to make it.

I mean, he could have been something. But he isn't going to be.

The suspension was no doubt a huge blow... but were you watching him the two months before that? He was doing all of the things you just said he doesn’t do, at a high level. The trajectory was there and he’s way young still. He should’ve stayed in college another year and that plus Clifford just set him back so bad. I’d be optimistic about this upcoming season.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,125

Post#1491 » by Braggins » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:20 am

Monk hasn't even turned 23 yet.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1492 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:28 am

Monk is 22. Bertans at 27 just signed for 5 and 80 and all he can do is shoot. Monk has that sniper DNA from Kentucky.

Give Monk 5 more years.
It has been written...
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#1493 » by James Gatz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:36 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Monk is 22. Bertans at 27 just signed for 5 and 80 and all he can do is shoot. Monk has that sniper DNA from Kentucky.

Give Monk 5 more years.

I think it's time we need to give up the idea that Monk will ever be a high end shooter. He's taken almost 800 attempts and has only hit about 32%. Shot 28% last year.

I'm not saying he's a trash player or won't improve but how many guys go from shooting that low on that many attempts to someone who hits at Seth Curry/Shamet/Kennard type rate? Monk isn't a shooter despite what we thought with him coming out of college, myself included.

I hope Monk plays well next year, he could be a nice fit next to Ball, but I'm doubtful at this point.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1494 » by BigSlam » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:38 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Monk is 22. Bertans at 27 just signed for 5 and 80 and all he can do is shoot. Monk has that sniper DNA from Kentucky.

Give Monk 5 more years.

What sort of logic is that?

Bertans has only been in the league 1 year longer than Monk and Bertans started his NBA career shooting 40% from 3.

Bertans has a career 3P% of 41%.
Monk has a career 3p% of 32%.

Why are you even comparing Monk to Bertans???
B B M F 'ers
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1495 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:39 am

James Gatz wrote:

Give Monk 5 more years.

I think it's time we need to give up the idea that Monk will ever be a high end shooter. He's taken almost 800 attempts and has only hit about 32%. Shot 28% last year.

I'm not saying he's a trash player or won't improve but how many guys go from shooting that low on that many attempts to someone who hits at Seth Curry/Shamet/Kennard type rate? Monk isn't a shooter despite what we thought with him coming out of college, myself included.

I hope Monk plays well next year, he could be a nice fit next to Ball, but I'm doubtful at this point.

I'm not giving up. He shot 37.5% in his last group of games before suspension. It spanned merely barely one month but that coincided with consistent playing time and bigger minutes for the first time in his career. I think Steve Nash made his first all star team at age 30.
It has been written...
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,497

Post#1496 » by HornetJail » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:41 am

If we can get Monk to agree to a contract under $8M a year, we need to do that. I'm a believer and would love to get another Lamb like steal of a contract, rather than have to match some random team's $12-15M offer to pry him away.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1497 » by DY_nasty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:41 am

the only reason i still got faith in monk is because when he's good he's legit GOOD.

plus he's come a long ways when it comes to staying in control and not being a complete clown on defense. i remember his rookie year where kris dunn just ripped him repeatedly at half court lol.... he's made real improvements that don't all show on the stat sheet. but he's just gotta get consistent. its his make or break year no matter what though
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#1498 » by James Gatz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:44 am

MasterIchiro wrote:I'm not giving up. He shot 37.5% in his last group of games before suspension. It spanned merely barely one month but that coincided with consistent playing time and bigger minutes for the first time in his career. I think Steve Nash made his first all star team at age 30.

What do you think realistic shooting spilts would be for him next season?

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:If we can get Monk to agree to a contract under $8M a year, we need to do that. I'm a believer and would love to get another Lamb like steal of a contract, rather than have to match some random team's $12-15M offer to pry him away.

I find it unlikely he will be receiving any offer nearly that high. He'd have to play out of his mind year. I don't really see the point in resigning unless he shows real improvement.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#1499 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:If we can get Monk to agree to a contract under $8M a year, we need to do that. I'm a believer and would love to get another Lamb like steal of a contract, rather than have to match some random team's $12-15M offer to pry him away.

I hope LaMelo loves his targets and can get some chemistry going with Monk on the second unit. Some easy buckets and open looks will boost his fragile confidence. Monk is buying into JB's system of sharing the ball and it should benefit him to be a favorite target of Ball. They're the best players at taking their man off the dribble and getting into open space.
It has been written...
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1500 » by DY_nasty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:53 am

James Gatz wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:I'm not giving up. He shot 37.5% in his last group of games before suspension. It spanned merely barely one month but that coincided with consistent playing time and bigger minutes for the first time in his career. I think Steve Nash made his first all star team at age 30.

What do you think realistic shooting spilts would be for him next season?

I find it unlikely he will be receiving any offer nearly that high. He'd have to play out of his mind year. I don't really see the point in resigning unless he shows real improvement.

If he continues off of his January and February numbers, you keep him. Its not some crazy stretch either... he's always shown flashes of being that player and before the suspension he displayed he could string multiple good games together.

If Malik keeps his TS% at >55%, its enough imo. His biggest issue is staying on the court long enough and night in night out to really build on what he's improved so far.

Return to Charlotte Hornets