Robert Woodard II

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Robert Woodard II 

Post#1 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:32 pm

This is one of the more stacked 3 and D drafts I've ever seen. Maybe that's why he's getting lost in the shuffle but imo he could be the best of the bunch. There aren't many 6'7" 235 lb, 7'1" wingspan guys with his athleticism and ability to guard 1-4 (1 and 4 on switches) while shooting 43% from three, that I can remember. He's OG Anunoby 2.0 physically but I think he's capable of Jaylen Brown type production and impact i.e. a #3 on a contender once he gets 2-3 years to develop. He's a late bloomer but from all accounts his work ethic is great and you can't deny his elite combination of size/length/skills/motor. He has to improve his handle and FT shooting and I know people love to contend that bad FT shooters means they're likely to be bad 3 pt shooters but it's correctable through hard work. He's #4 on my pre-Combine Big Board. He has the preverbal high floor that means he can step in and play major minutes as a role player from the start but he also has a high ceiling because if his handle improves we could be looking at a Jaylen/Jimmy/Kawhi type upside.I have a feeling he'll be rising on draft boards once teams get to see him. I just don't want certain people to contend it's Monday Morning QBing when I point out how awful Danny Ainge is at drafting and how he should have taken Woodard, when he inevitably passes on him multiple times, so I'm putting it out there now like I did with Bazley and Sekou last draft. And also, nobody seems to know he exists. He's either in the 2nd round or not even on mock drafts. How embarrassing for these people that do this for a living to be as bad at this as they are.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,453

Re: Robert Woodard II 

Post#2 » by jezzerinho » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:34 am

I think Woodard is criminally underrated. Look, the handle has to improve and the FT% is pretty horrible. But that aside, there is a ton to work with with this kid. People who have Williams in the lottery but Woodard a UDFA make me wonder what massive difference they see between the two players.

I see him going late first, with a chance to rise further if he's improved his handle during lockdown.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,806

Post#3 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 pm

I like him, but not nearly as much as the OP. His raw numbers stretched over 36 minutes are really pedestrian. You look at them and say, well he is a utility role playing guy so his value must show up in advanced stats, but it does not in any way.

He has an NBA body with NBA athleticism, but I think he is a guy who takes a few years to develop and in the end becomes a Dorian Finney-Smith / DeMarre Carroll type at best, which is a player profile that is in high demand right now but I dont see the upside some do.

I would say pick 25-35 should be his range.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#4 » by kobyz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:44 pm

reminds me of Harison Barnes
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:15 pm

good nba body and decent athleticism solid 2 way upside and his transition finishing is good as well as having a workable or easily manageable spot up shot usually.
Could be one of those solid sleeper candidates that goes late first if the belief is his shooting transfers although I am not sold it will since most of his success comes when unguarded which is funny since his ft % is bad too, but I think what makes
him a prospect worthy of early 2nd round attention at worst is his defensive potential versatile athleticism and rebounding.
I dont like the lack of creation ,meh handles, shooting % when defender close.
If he can prove to be a high iq cutter and finisher with some reliable outside shooting he can make a rotation on a good team if his defense transfers.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:14 am

His defense won’t transfer to the next level imo. He’s long and can run around the floor, but doesn’t have good breaks, often overcommits when running around the floor. His size and length helped him defend a lot, but against experience and athletes with similar size it’s going to be tough for him to defend. The difference between him and Williams defensively is that Williams can glue to a guy on-ball, he has lighter feet defending and he’s three years younger.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:37 am

doordoor123 wrote:His defense won’t transfer to the next level imo. He’s long and can run around the floor, but doesn’t have good breaks, often overcommits when running around the floor. His size and length helped him defend a lot, but against experience and athletes with similar size it’s going to be tough for him to defend. The difference between him and Williams defensively is that Williams can glue to a guy on-ball, he has lighter feet defending and he’s three years younger.

if you are right he should go undrafted.
I think he has to prove he can be an offensive player at the next level once he gets there more than defensively, and yes his age hurts a little hes 21 since sept not 19 since aug like Pwill but its by 1 month so 2 years not 3 .They both need a lot of coaching up to get on the floor and the differences between him and Williams are negligible as far as raw athletic ability /defensive skill based on that and proto body types etc . I mean the numbers across the board are very similar and the really only thing Pwill has on him is age as far as draft stock which btw should not be as high as most mocks imo. But weak drafts have Pwills in the lottery and Woodards in the 20s
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#8 » by Catchall » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:59 pm

I liken him to a post-injury Rudy Gay. I think he's a backup 4/5. I'm not seeing the upside.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,138

Post#9 » by Mark_83 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:19 am

Big fan of Woodard's. The tools are legit. I think he has the work ethic to improve the handle. Worst case, he's a more athletic PJ Tucker.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#10 » by doordoor123 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:20 am

Mark_83 wrote:Big fan of Woodard's. The tools are legit. I think he has the work ethic to improve the handle. Worst case, he's a more athletic PJ Tucker.

lol "more athletic PJ Tucker." First of all PJ Tucker is athletic, thats how he is able to play center. He's not an athlete, but its pretty clear he can jump off of two feet. Woodard is athletic in a different way, but also unathletic in some detrimental ways like I talked about earlier in this sub.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,138

Post#11 » by Mark_83 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:52 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:Big fan of Woodard's. The tools are legit. I think he has the work ethic to improve the handle. Worst case, he's a more athletic PJ Tucker.

lol "more athletic PJ Tucker." First of all PJ Tucker is athletic, thats how he is able to play center. He's not an athlete, but its pretty clear he can jump off of two feet. Woodard is athletic in a different way, but also unathletic in some detrimental ways like I talked about earlier in this sub.

I don't think you understand what athletic means in an NBA context. Lol

Plus you literally contradict yourself in your own diatribe.

In one line you say "First of all PJ Tucker is athletic" then immediately follow that by saying "He's not an athlete." :crazy:

PJ Tucker is able to play center because he's incredibly strong and tough. That has nothing to do with "athleticism."

When people talk about athleticism in the NBA, they are describing the ability to run and jump. The "athletes" are those who can jump really high and run really fast. Tucker is none of those.

Woodward may not be as physical as Tucker, but he's hella strong. He looks like his body is carved out of stone. Plus he's slightly taller with a longer wingspan. He's a top level dunker, being able to jump off both 1 or 2 feet, and is quicker than Tucker was at the same stage.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#12 » by playa-hater » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:23 am

All I have is videos to look at, but what makes Isaac Okoro a top 10 pick and Woodard a late 1st/2nd rder???

Looks like they have the same body, strength and athletic ability, with the same need to improve jumpshot. Okoro is 2 year younger though.. but taking Woodard at the end of RD 1 looks like a better value than Okoro top 10..

someone explain this one to me??
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS

Return to NBA Draft