ImageImageImage

Bring Rondo Home 2020 edition

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Bring Rondo Home 2020 edition 

Post#1 » by Ernest » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:28 am

We love you Rondo, please come home to Boston!

As with every offseason, chances are low. Rondo was a great fit on the Lakers who just won the title. He just opted up but you'd have to think there is a strong possibility the team expects that and already has another higher paying deal lined up for him.

Rondo was great in his time here. After the "big 3" left I really hoped that it could become Rondo's team and we could bring in more talent. But Rondo's talents are best used when he has stars around him. He can help a good team win a title, but he can't make a bad team good by himself. I guess it's bad luck for us that when we finally become that good team with stars again that could really use him, he finds a home on a team with even bigger stars.

Part of me was hoping that Rondo would get a title with LAL and then decide to come home because he wanted a bigger role. But, although he didn't start, he was getting like 30 minutes a game and finishing games in LA, so apart from becoming a starter again, I don't see how his role could get much bigger.

At least this year Rondo has managed to shut the filthy filthy mouths of his critics and detractors.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Re: Bring Rondo Home 2020 edition 

Post#2 » by Spin Move » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:21 am

No, Rondo is a really unique and talented player, but he has a bad attitude and can be a locker room problem at this statge of his career I pass. He is a below average shooter and we need a PG who can spread the floor. While on the topic of Rondo, I am kind of surprised his career was not better then it was, he was really good in 2008-2011 but he kinda peaked then and never really improved, his 3 point percentage improved over time but his overall FG% dropped and he never once in his career averaged in 14 points a game. Since 2014 he has only averaged 10 points a game once, I know he gets tons of assists but there is a balance to be had between not being a threat to score and shot creation. Wish he had fulfilled his potential but I just don't see him being a good fit, Marcus Smart would break his hand on Rondo's face at some point and would be out for a month and that might cost us home court advantage, just not worth the risk.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by Ernest » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:40 am

Spin Move wrote:he has a bad attitude and can be a locker room problem at this stage of his career

But does he? Honestly I haven't read a lot of articles out of LA. Are there reports of him being a problem this year?
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,146

Post#4 » by Froob » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:13 am

Ernest wrote:
Spin Move wrote:he has a bad attitude and can be a locker room problem at this stage of his career

But does he? Honestly I haven't read a lot of articles out of LA. Are there reports of him being a problem this year?

Nope. He’s been a great locker room guy for the Lakers. Luke Walton and Vogel both loved having him.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#5 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 am

Lakers hold Early Bird Rights on Rondo. IINM, he could get as much $8.085M next season with the second season also guaranteed. This is why he opted out early. Had he opted in, his salary next season would be $2.620M.

Cs can only offer the taxpayer MLE ($6.025M) without a sign-and-trade.

People have been touting Rondo as the Lakers' 3rd best player in the playoffs/Finals. If they value him, I think Perk is correct. That somebody would be the Lakers.

Read on Twitter
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
batabatuta
Pro Prospect
And1: 754

Post#6 » by batabatuta » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:27 am

Sadly he is looking to opt out because he wants a bigger pay, something that we can't afford right now. Career-wise he is already in the best position he could be by staying in LA. Why would he go back here and deal with kids?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#7 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Froob wrote:
Ernest wrote:

Nope. He’s been a great locker room guy for the Lakers. Luke Walton and Vogel both loved having him.

Yeah it seems like something happened after he was booted off the Mavs. I think he made a conscious decision to not be a jerk, and has definitely matured. He stood up for his younger teammates in Chicago when Butler and Wade threw them all under the bus.

We can't afford him, but if we let him become a player/assistant coach, he might enjoy that.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,684

Post#8 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Would love him back in Green, but I don't see it. He probably stays in LA.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#9 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:41 pm

Jared Dudley is on Simmons' podcast and he is raving about Rondo. Sounds like he did more coaching than Vogel. He basically got Lebron to pick up Butler full court during game 6. Considering most coaches let Lebron do whatever he wants, that speaks volumes.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,146

Post#10 » by Froob » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:55 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Lakers hold Early Bird Rights on Rondo. IINM, he could get as much $8.085M next season with the second season also guaranteed. This is why he opted out early. Had he opted in, his salary next season would be $2.620M.

People have been touting Rondo as the Lakers' 3rd best player in the playoffs/Finals. If they value him, I think Perk is correct. That somebody would be the Lakers.

Read on Twitter

Offer Rondo full MLE and #9 to the rafters if he helps win another banner.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#11 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:26 pm

Froob wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Lakers hold Early Bird Rights on Rondo. IINM, he could get as much $8.085M next season with the second season also guaranteed. This is why he opted out early. Had he opted in, his salary next season would be $2.620M.

Read on Twitter

Offer Rondo full MLE and #9 to the rafters if he helps win another banner.

Fixed.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,988

Post#12 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:14 pm

Sign me on if he's a player/assistant coach role, he might occasionally be a headcase but he's a major basketball brain. I know it's not happening, I know he doesn't really move the needle the way we need, but I did always love me some Rondo. I even loved him when I was happy he was traded to the Mavs, he was a poor fit at the time for the rebuild.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Post#13 » by chrisab123 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:53 am

Bring him home his leadership is the missing piece
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Ernest » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:47 pm

Was reading the LAL board, someone had an interesting point. Maybe CP3 will go to the Lakers. If that happens, Rondo probably doesn't return. I'm starting to think it's not that far fetched an idea that he comes back to boston. IF something happens and he doesn't resign in LAL, then where would he go? If you were to gamble on it, we'd have to have high odds right? I don't see anyone breaking the bank for him and I don't see him wanting to go to a bad team or even a .500 team. Stevens being young might not be great if his goal is really to coach- but almost no player gets to be a head coach right away.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#15 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:52 am

There's a reason every LAL fan hated him before the playoffs.

And that was on a team that won the West with the best record and was considered one of three contenders for the title.

He'd **** hate it here and hate everyone on the team.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#16 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 am

Ernest wrote:Was reading the LAL board, someone had an interesting point. Maybe CP3 will go to the Lakers. If that happens, Rondo probably doesn't return. I'm starting to think it's not that far fetched an idea that he comes back to boston. IF something happens and he doesn't resign in LAL, then where would he go? If you were to gamble on it, we'd have to have high odds right? I don't see anyone breaking the bank for him and I don't see him wanting to go to a bad team or even a .500 team. Stevens being young might not be great if his goal is really to coach- but almost no player gets to be a head coach right away.

Did those on the LAL board say how CP3 is going to the Lakers when he's making $41M next season? Lakers can't trade for him unless they're giving up one of AD or Lebron. CP3 won't be waived either.
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Ernest » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:37 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Ernest wrote:Was reading the LAL board, someone had an interesting point. Maybe CP3 will go to the Lakers. If that happens, Rondo probably doesn't return. I'm starting to think it's not that far fetched an idea that he comes back to boston. IF something happens and he doesn't resign in LAL, then where would he go? If you were to gamble on it, we'd have to have high odds right? I don't see anyone breaking the bank for him and I don't see him wanting to go to a bad team or even a .500 team. Stevens being young might not be great if his goal is really to coach- but almost no player gets to be a head coach right away.

Did those on the LAL board say how CP3 is going to the Lakers when he's making $41M next season? Lakers can't trade for him unless they're giving up one of AD or Lebron. CP3 won't be waived either.

Good point. It would have to be some buy out deal. They might be willing to pay something to get out of the deal, but any way you slice it, it would be CP3 giving up tens of milllions just to play for a title with his friend. I guess it could happen, but I can't recall anyone ever leaving that much money on the table before.
ILC
Starter
And1: 1,912

Post#18 » by ILC » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:23 am

celticfan42487 wrote:There's a reason every LAL fan hated him before the playoffs.

And that was on a team that won the West with the best record and was considered one of three contenders for the title.

He'd **** hate it here and hate everyone on the team.

Yeah, that reason being he's Rajon Rondo and they're Lakers fans. They literally hated everyone on that team at some point except LBJ, AD and Caruso. Now they're taking victory laps 'nobody believed in us'. **** them.

Rondo had an ok regular season. He was a net positive on the court, good averages 12/9/5 per36 off the bench. Zach Lowe for example, who I trust much more than any Laker fan, was praising him for playing well all year.

I don't think Rondo's coming back. He loves it over there, he's probably just milking them for more money and more years and Danny would really have to butter him up and overpay him to come be a backup for Kemba when he never really struck me as a huge Rondo fan.

ConstableGeneva wrote:

They could, but they would have only 4 players on the team in that case. Green, McGee, AB, Kuzma and Cook for CP3 works in the trade machine. LBJ, AD, Caruso, THT left on the team. They could then re-sign KCP with Bird rights for 10m let's say, re-sign Cousins for vet-min and still have their NTMLE 6m to spend. They'd be idiots to gut that whole team and chemistry they had for a choker like CP, but it's doable. Let's hope they do.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by Ernest » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:18 pm

Yeah it was weird how LAL fans hated Rondo to start with. I remember talking to them on their forum saying they would like him and he'd end up helping them get a title and I was told I was wrong by everyone. Kind of also funny how many people on here turned on him. From reading posts over the last few years, you'd think he forced his way out and burned the bridge behind him. The "Bring Rondo Home 2017-19" threads were no where near as positive.
celticgreenie
Junior
And1: 269

Post#20 » by celticgreenie » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Rondo will be on his best behavior whether it is here with us or with the Lakers or whoever as he desperately wants to coach in the future. The Doc Rivers rift as well as his short stint in Dallas explain why he has been a good soldier so far. The question is whether he is worth the baggage one day for some team to be their head coach?

Return to Boston Celtics