ImageImageImageImageImage

West - “Bargnani/Bosh would “blow this NBA outta the water”

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,667

Re: West - “Bargnani/Bosh would “blow this NBA outta the water” 

Post#81 » by VanWest82 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:13 am

I still can't believe we tried to play him five games in six nights. What did we think was going to happen??
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#82 » by TheBoi10 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:27 am

Brinbe wrote:imagine if that bounce alley-oop went down... everything would've been different lmfao

IYKYK :lol:

The Bosh/Bargs/Rasho frontcourt :lol:

3 centers in this era
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,874

Post#83 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:58 am

Vaclac wrote:Bargnani would be an even worse defender now. The one thing he was decent at defensively was one-on-one post defense which is much more rarely useful now than then. Also he wasn't actually that efficient a shooter, despite that being his primary role.

In those days you had Charles Barkley saying yall ain't gonna win nothin with 7 footers shooting threes. Bargs was hardly the "traditional big man" but had he worked at his craft and physique he might have become a player like 13 games Barnyawni. He just insisted on not having any athletic build whatsoever. Do not think he liked playing basketball but was willing to fill up the bank account for as long as execs would take a chance on him. Dude made some bad decisions when on the court. The Knicks failed dunk and arm break comes to mind.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Post#84 » by God Squad » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:59 am

Jeebus. Bargnani NBA return incoming.
Hit Em Up
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,778

Post#85 » by Hit Em Up » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:43 pm

Brinbe wrote:imagine if that bounce alley-oop went down... everything would've been different lmfao

IYKYK :lol:

I think about this play often
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#86 » by Senbonzakura » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:45 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Senbonzakura wrote:Anthony Parker is the guy I think might've made an all-star game if he had today's green light from 3. Could easily be a Middleton type player.

So why aren't JJ Reddick, Doug McDermott, Davis Bertans, the Bogdonovic brothers, Joe Ingles, Justin Holiday, Josh Richardson, Jae Crowder, Wes Matthews, CJ Miles etc. all-stars?

Parker was a nice starter and today he would be a nice starter, nothing more and nothing less.

For **** sakes, just because you can shoot the 3 does not automatically make you a star. So many players in the league can hit the 3 today, and most of them are role players.

What separates guys like Klay and Middleton is that not only can they shoot the 3 very well, but they can do many other things. They are good ball handlers that can create their own shot, they can shoot off balance, they can shoot coming off screens, they are great moving without the ball, they know how to create space, they are very good at getting to the basket, they are strong and athletic and can withstand contact, they have very good footwork. Being a star is not that easy.

There is a reason why Ray Allen was a perennial all-star and Jason Kapono was a 3 point champion who was out of the league after 5 seasons.

There is a reason why Klay is an all-star and Steve Novak was a scrub who jumped from team to team and was eventually waived.

Parker wasn't just a good three point shooter. He was also a very good passer and defender. Imagine his numbers would've looked a lot better if he were taking 7 or 8 threes a game instead of 3 or 4.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,671

Post#87 » by Pointgod » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:56 pm

Yeah okay. Bargani’s problem was never the era he played in, it’s because he was a lazy passionless sack of **** who didn’t rebound or play defense. You know which duo would have absolutely wrecked the NBA no matter the era? Bosh and Aldridge, but Colangelo had to go with with stupid Euro obsession.

Most people think of Bargani in this era would get you this

While the reality is this

100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#88 » by 100proof » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:05 pm

IMO, Toronto ruined Bargnani when they tried to make him a center and put on weight

When he was lean and speedy he was a much more dynamic player.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,628

Post#89 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:07 pm

Yeah we had half the right idea, and the wrong players. See... on offence that’s all good, spread the floor and all....but Bargnani can’t play defence, rebound or do anything else.

And that is why Colangelo sucked. He only ever saw just a part of the picture. West is a bit the same here.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#90 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:11 pm

100proof wrote:IMO, Toronto ruined Bargnani when they tried to make him a center and put on weight

When he was lean and speedy he was a much more dynamic player.

:lol: The guy had no motivation at all. That would be funny though if it were ever true that he truly was a very good offensive player... because he wasn’t.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#91 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:21 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Senbonzakura wrote:Anthony Parker is the guy I think might've made an all-star game if he had today's green light from 3. Could easily be a Middleton type player.

So why aren't JJ Reddick, Doug McDermott, Davis Bertans, the Bogdonovic brothers, Joe Ingles, Justin Holiday, Josh Richardson, Jae Crowder, Wes Matthews, CJ Miles etc. all-stars?

Parker was a nice starter and today he would be a nice starter, nothing more and nothing less.

For **** sakes, just because you can shoot the 3 does not automatically make you a star. So many players in the league can hit the 3 today, and most of them are role players.

What separates guys like Klay and Middleton is that not only can they shoot the 3 very well, but they can do many other things. They are good ball handlers that can create their own shot, they can shoot off balance, they can shoot coming off screens, they are great moving without the ball, they know how to create space, they are very good at getting to the basket, they are strong and athletic and can withstand contact, they have very good footwork. Being a star is not that easy.

There is a reason why Ray Allen was a perennial all-star and Jason Kapono was a 3 point champion who was out of the league after 5 seasons.

There is a reason why Klay is an all-star and Steve Novak was a scrub who jumped from team to team and was eventually waived.

Parker wasn't just a good three point shooter. He was also a very good passer and defender. Imagine his numbers would've looked a lot better if he were taking 7 or 8 threes a game instead of 3 or 4.

Again, I never said Parker wasn't a very good player, but it takes more to become an all-star.

How come Doug McDermott and Davis Bertans aren't all-stars averaging 30 points a game? They are elite shooters, they are great coming off screens. It's because being an all-star takes a lot more than elite shooting.

Bertans takes nine 3s a game, he averages 15ppg, and he's a nice player, but he's no all-star. Covington is a very good 3 + D player who takes eight 3s a game and he averages 12ppg.

Guys like Curry, Klay, Allen, Middleton etc. are not just great shooters, they have a lot in their arsenal beyond just shooting that makes them great.

Parker is a nice player, a good starter. I believe if he came here during his prime he would average about 14-15ppg on very good shooting and nice defense.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#92 » by fbalmeida » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Yeah we had half the right idea, and the wrong players. See... on offence that’s all good, spread the floor and all....but Bargnani can’t play defence, rebound or do anything else.

And that is why Colangelo sucked. He only ever saw just a part of the picture. West is a bit the same here.

"First thing I look at [when scouting a player] is his intelligence, and character. And then the talent is the last thing, and within that talent, how athletic is he? How strong is he, how is his vertical, how is his work ethic, how would he fit with the Raptors? I watch closely when they’re warming up because that’s when most people think it doesn’t matter, but it really does matter, because you’re preparing. How does he go to war?” - Sarah Chan, manager of scouting in Africa for the Toronto Raptors.

Bargnani was completely disinterested in going to war. He was the NBA's answer to Alexandre Daigle.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,916

Post#93 » by JN » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Has Bryan Colangelo created a burner handle that pretends to be David West?
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#94 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:29 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Yeah we had half the right idea, and the wrong players. See... on offence that’s all good, spread the floor and all....but Bargnani can’t play defence, rebound or do anything else.

"First thing I look at [when scouting a player] is his intelligence, and character. And then the talent is the last thing, and within that talent, how athletic is he? How strong is he, how is his vertical, how is his work ethic, how would he fit with the Raptors? I watch closely when they’re warming up because that’s when most people think it doesn’t matter, but it really does matter, because you’re preparing. How does he go to war?” - Sarah Chan, manager of scouting in Africa for the Toronto Raptors.

Bargnani was completely disinterested in going to war. He was the NBA's answer to Alexandre Daigle.

Nice to finally see this organization get it in this era.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer

Post#95 » by Senbonzakura » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Senbonzakura wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

Again, I never said Parker wasn't a very good player, but it takes more to become an all-star.

How come Doug McDermott and Davis Bertans aren't all-stars averaging 30 points a game? They are elite shooters, they are great coming off screens. It's because being an all-star takes a lot more than elite shooting.

Bertans takes nine 3s a game, he averages 15ppg, and he's a nice player, but he's no all-star. Covington is a very good 3 + D player who takes eight 3s a game and he averages 12ppg.

Guys like Curry, Klay, Allen, Middleton etc. are not just great shooters, they have a lot in their arsenal beyond just shooting that makes them great.

Parker is a nice player, a good starter. I believe if he came here during his prime he would average about 14-15ppg on very good shooting and nice defense.

Doug McDermott and Bertans offer zero defense and zero playmaking. Did you even read what I wrote? Covington is a good defensive player, he's not really a good 3+D player. He takes a lot of threes but shoots them at an average to below-average clip. None of these guys are good comparisons to Anthony parker.

Middleton is not in the same bracket as Klay or Ray Allen and definitely not Steph Curry. His skillset is very similar to what Anthony Parker's was (defense, ability to read the floor and make passes in open play or pick and roll, sharp three-point shooting, solid on the glass, etc), just that he plays in an era that accentuates it more. Middleton wouldn't have been making all-star teams if his prime was 10 years ago.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#96 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Senbonzakura wrote:

Doug McDermott and Bertans offer zero defense and zero playmaking. Did you even read what I wrote? Covington is a good defensive player, he's not really a good 3+D player. He takes a lot of threes but shoots them at an average to below-average clip. None of these guys are good comparisons to Anthony parker.

Middleton is not in the same bracket as Klay or Ray Allen and definitely not Steph Curry. His skillset is very similar to what Anthony Parker's was (defense, ability to read the floor and make passes in open play or pick and roll, sharp three-point shooting, solid on the glass, etc), just that he plays in an era that accentuates it more. Middleton wouldn't have been making all-star teams if his prime was 10 years ago.

You are misconstruing wht I'm saying. I'm not saying Middleton is in the same bracket as Curry or Ray, lol. I'm saying there is a significant separation between being an elite shooter and being an all-star. There are many elite "shooters" today but only a handful of those elite shooters are all-stars. There is a reason why.

Again you need to read what I'm saying. Being an elite scorer/all-star requires a lot more than elite shooting. Curry and Klay have elite level footwork, are good slashers, can shoot off the dribble, can shoot coming off screens, can shoot off balanced, have an incredibly quick release, use screens effectively, can run a pick and roll, can post-up (Klay can), have hook shots and floaters etc. Very few shooters have that full package that makes them an elite scorer.

Parker is a nice player, a valuable starter on a contending team, but he would never be an all-star. He's a great shooter, he's high IQ, he plays good defense etc. but that doesn't mean he had the rest of the package to become an all-star.

A more comparable guy to Parker is Danny Green. Green is an elite shooter, he's a great defender, he's a good passer, he's high IQ, but he's never been close to being an all-star.

Kyle Korver is an unbelievable shooter but there is a reason why he averaged under 12ppg every single season of his career (except one year where he averaged 14ppg).
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer

Post#97 » by Senbonzakura » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:51 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Senbonzakura wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

You are misconstruing wht I'm saying. I'm not saying Middleton is in the same bracket as Curry or Ray, lol. I'm saying there is a significant separation between being an elite shooter and being an all-star. There are many elite "shooters" today but only a handful of those elite shooters are all-stars. There is a reason why.

Again you need to read what I'm saying. Being an elite scorer/all-star requires a lot more than elite shooting. Curry and Klay have elite level footwork, are good slashers, can shoot off the dribble, can shoot coming off screens, can shoot off balanced, have an incredibly quick release, use screens effectively, can run a pick and roll, can post-up (Klay can), have hook shots and floaters etc. Very few shooters have that full package that makes them an elite scorer.

Parker is a nice player, a valuable starter on a contending team, but he would never be an all-star. He's a great shooter, he's high IQ, he plays good defense etc. but that doesn't mean he had the rest of the package to become an all-star.

A more comparable guy to Parker is Danny Green. Green is an elite shooter, he's a great defender, he's a good passer, he's high IQ, but he's never been close to being an all-star.

Kyle Korver is an unbelievable shooter but there is a reason why he averaged under 12ppg every single season of his career (except one year where he averaged 14ppg).

Parker wasn't just a shooter. :banghead: This is honestly a waste of time.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#98 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:56 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Senbonzakura wrote:

Parker wasn't just a shooter. :banghead: This is honestly a waste of time.

Did I say he was just a shooter? No.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I said the best comparison for Parker is Danny Green - a very good shooter, great defender, good passer, high IQ, can even post-up at times etc. Was Danny Green ever close to being an all-star? No. Was Danny Green a very good player on some elite teams and a big piece in winning a championship? Yes.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#99 » by LLJ » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:18 pm

bargs can't defend
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,502

Post#100 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:34 pm

What is making David West of all people, comment on former Raptors?

I still wish Garbo didn't get hurt in Bargs's rookie year. That team had a nice rhythm going.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.

Return to Toronto Raptors